Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Malleum posted:

sometimes i remember that everyone was super excited for the mRNA vaccine breakthrough because it meant that they could get vaccines for different strains of disease out quicker, and that there have been no new vaccines made for any new strains of covid

its gonna rule if we dont actually see updated boosters until 2025 when the only party that governs in the US takes full control of the federal government, but libs go back to refusing the trump vaccine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shear Modulus posted:

moderna and pfizer have been saying the updated booster is three months away for like a year

I have the feeling it's gonna be just like the ppe and testing shortage, where the wh was approached directly with "We can spin up production if you just guarantee us the sales" and brandon opted to just wait and see instead

Pulcinella posted:

Speaking of Beto:
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1557879554777153547

Nice Polite Republics indeed. I don’t even particularly like Beto, but just lol at the idea that Beto’s problem is that he hasn’t smoothed out and sanded down all relatable personality traits. Also lol that anyone gives a poo poo about swearing these days, especially in the era of “shithole countries.”

They're doing the dumb lib thing where they don't realize republicans aren't going to vote for democrats, so instead they take the most recently stated 'misgiving' at face value.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Aug 12, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Forseti posted:

That really sucks, democrats are poo poo. But I bet you have a pretty good understanding of it and I haven't looked yet... but would, say, a 2015 chevy volt that I bought used a month ago get me some free money on taxes this year?

Actually, how is manufactured in America defined? I'm not sure what car you're talking about, but aren't most of the big brands (Toyota, Nissan, etc) building their US market cars here now anyway to save on shipping?

Edit: VV :lmao: VV
The commerce department already had two definitions for made in the US, though they're a little squishy. I have the feeling this program is less going to go off those definitions and is just a handout to new manufacturers. The same way 'cash for clunkers' wasn't actually about getting clunkers off the road, but about reducing secondhand inventory.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Anecdotally speaking, have prices just continued to go up around anyone else? While gas is below the highest spike this year, it's not down to 2021 levels yet. However, I've noticed both groceries and eating out have continued to rise this month. To the point that even combos at fast food places are 8-15 bucks. What's weird though is it's all selective stuff, like instead of blanket 10-15% increase, it'll be some things cost 25% to 200% more.
I wonder if that's how Biden is going to keep claiming he solved inflation, prices on enough items in the index will level out while other things spike. Oh well, I'm sure it won't affect voter sentiment in November, since there will be handy factcheckers letting us know inflation is down.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Are people really saying others can't get it? Or just that, for now, given the current pattern of spread they're much less likely to? Given that we don't have near enough vaccines giving them to the most at risk population first seems like a good idea to me idk.

the cdc still considers having hosed a dude a risk factor on par with touching an animal corpse riddled with the pox

Look we gotta pretend it's the gay disease otherwise our public health failure to address or minimize the spread of the pox over the past 3 months is gonna look silly.
We're also at that phase where we pretend it's not an aerosol and it can't spread like other similar diseases because that would upset the economy

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

because the data shows that men who have sex with men are spreading it way the gently caress more than anyone else? that would be my first guess

i mean yea if you ask some dumbass nurse with a 2 year degree, you're going to get a dumbass answer

yeah but that's been a heavily selected for sample, to the point that we're hearing anecdotes of people being refused treatment and even testing despite obvious symptoms if they're not engaging in MSM
the same way covid didn't infect children when we refused to test children for it.

We could just as easily decide monkeypox was a disease of the lefthanded by organizing our testing around that trait.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Karl Barks posted:

Not saying you're lying or anything, I'd just like to see where that's happening cause I'm curious. I agree that 99% of cases being men sounds fishy

Medical bias is frustratingly slippery, I think we're probably years away from having real data about it here. All we have now are anecdotes about people being turned away from testing and stuff like the CDC guidelines for determining a case I posted.

On first blush those guidelines seem reasonable, they say all at risk communities, but they have a baked in bias. Like if patient 0 stays at a hotel and their sheets get laundered, infecting 100 people and 3 of those were gay, but 97 aren't the CDC has just found 3 cases of monkeypox 100% of which were gay.
The other 97? Didn't meet the CDC's criteria for a likely case, since none of them had close contact with a confirmed case or person presenting symptoms, nor had they engaged in MSM.
Overly simplified numbers and going with a massive outbreak for emphasis, but you get my point.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dukberry posted:

It's better now right

it's been a long time since society completely poo poo the bed responding to a pandemic too!
It's not like anyone who has overseen multiple failed pandemic responses is at the levers of power anymore.
Hell, I can't even remember a pandemic that was let to ravage a population we didn't care about until it eventually came knocking for more important people

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

The only case of white vs black or whatever that I know of is in the treatment of high blood pressure. For some reason it's recommended to use calcium channel blockers in place of ACE inhibitors in the treatment of HTN because whatever study that formed this basis was done in the 50's or 60's. Recent studies have been repeated on the matter, but there were no changes in management of hypertension as far as I'm aware.

I've simply never heard of the pain management aspect. The only disparity that I'm aware of is with prior opioid abusers needing more to treat their pain. Other than that, every patient is different and deserves a standard of care to treat the pain by carefully increasing the dosage until their pain is adequately managed.

Friend, I suggest you maybe checkout the defunct podcast heavy medical, or the writings of Tim Faust in general, he covers the bad medical outcomes poor people and the marginalized have inflicted on them based on societal goals and for profit healthcare. Timberly is a cool guy.

Michael Lewis (the moneyball/big short guy) also wrote a really good book called 'The Premonition' about the covid pandemic and how the medical community and government got its response so wrong by approaching with the wrong framework. His book focuses primarily on the hollowing out of the CDC and previous disease outbreaks that should have been the canary in the coal mine. The worst part of his analysis was it was written primarily during the Trump admin so he had some hope the democrats would do better (lmao).

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Aug 17, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LastInLine posted:

I could tell at a glance it wasn't because *inappropriate laughter* it completely lacked one thing

real Kamalaheads know sometimes she just has barred out stares and awkward pauses these days. It's like the Obama "Uhs" and "Let me be clears" standard in most impressions, but phased out as he was coached.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

THS2 posted:

shrimp are good without butter

They're talking about lobster, the premium sea bug.

Baby carrots are another example of literal trash becoming a premium priced item, since they're shaved carrots that previously would have been wasted for being ugly, non standard, or damaged during processing

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LGD posted:

not just Oz, they picked some genuinely bad candidates this cycle - i.e. Herschel Walker is definitely over the limit of acceptability for unacknowledged illegitimate children
idk I think the fact the walking CTE is polling within 2 points of a pastor and all around good guy is pretty big sign of an unhealthy political system and laughably weak democrats

If Walker was going up against almost any other dem he'd be winning as a slam dunk. It's just hard to pin most of the reasons people hate democrats to Warnock, but the party did a good job of pinning some of their failure stink to him with the $2000 check ads

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Didn't he literally just drone frag an old dude as the latest victory on terrorism?
this is like crowing about rejoining the paris accord and fossil fuel subsidies at the same time
"Well yeah, we're still doiing the incredibly evil and hosed up stuff (and it rules btw) but we also are (self reporting) that we do less of the evil stuff than we used to."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Right, this is all their self disclosed poo poo, I'm not gonna take it at face value. There's plenty of room to shuffle stuff around between other departments, allies officially carrying it out with supervision and assistance, or areas where we replaced drones with good old fashioned boots on the ground.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i should start claiming to be a reverend

Just get ordained by the universal life church or whatever and you can be a reverend doctor

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
love to see the transition from "Biden is the new FDR" to "if you ask biden for any material improvement in your life, you're practically voting for the death of democracy"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

StratGoatCom posted:

Let me guess, internal numbers for the midterm have started to sour?

Actually they're fine. Everything is fine. Obama's numbers were the same, worse even. Biden has had the most productive summer of any president ever.

But if he loses, it's because of you little shits expecting him to get anything done when Manchin and Synema were hammering his balls like a speedbag and Mitch was blocking him from passing a single bill.
While it's true he lacks any redeeming qualities of any fondly remembered president with a legacy, have you considered joe means well and is doing his best?

That's pretty much the entire article, just padded with a few more whiplash inducing flip-flops between 'things are good' and 'things are bleak'

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mediaphage posted:

maybe i’m an odd one in this thread but while watching the dems eat it will be hilarious it’s still depressing because of how much faster things get worse lol
I'm more worried about goons continuing to be wrong about everything.

If the democrats aren't completely smashed beyond hope, the cycle of normalizing ghoulish suffering will continue a few more times, and the gop will run further to the right to distinguish themselves with the dems chasing the whole way

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ummm excuse me, that's whataboutism pointing out the willingness of the dems to spray the moneyhose over everything and anyone except good things has nothing to do with the sound financial policy of letting you loving starve, prole

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mediaphage posted:

moderately less likely to actively encourage their followers to murder my friends even if they might still be murdering people abroad

they’ll just give us big scarlet fs to wear so people know we might be carrying the plague

idk social murder poo poo like they're doing in CA by denying healthcare and housing to the most vulnerable strikes me as necropolitics too. Targeting the same demographics as well, just with more steps.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
the podcast lady also had her student debt forgiven, but it's ok because shes our troops

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
just a few minor democrats, mostly no names who can't win elections have said the dems should abandon trans rights

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Private Cumshoe posted:

how do you get from trans people to abortions I missed that one but democrats never fail to be idiots so I believe it

It's just the same big brain "I lost running as a blue dog because people voted against the concept of another candidate who want good things" poo poo dems have been doing since 2010," except it's coming from increasingly closer to mainstream members of the party.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
shut up about the catholic church already, we're here to talk about different rich pedophiles who people shouldn't support

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyway, back to topic.

Anything that inspires this much unusual behavior in biden is... worrysome. I am very much concerned they're aware of something we aren't and they don't like it. There's some sort of shoe gonna drop.

My theory is this this is hedge, after 2 years of doing nothing, they'll make some pitiful gestures like this to actual progressive policy, and claim it's on par with the new deal. After November is disappointing, it'll be their justification to never give us anything ever again.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dems will find some way to gently caress up the loan forgiveness. my guess is that the application process will be almost completely non-functional.

It will be a trickle of payments/forgiveness that only occurs every month over the course of 10 years if the house and senate vote with a 2/3 majority to extend the next month's forgiveness program.
The forgiveness will be in the form of tax credits given to the bank if they choose to accept it, like landlords and covid rent relief

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ex post facho posted:

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/s...ingawful.com%2F

california really is the best example that even with a supermajority, d*mocrats will still find reasons to kill legislation like this and Medicare for all / UHC (which they have killed in committee at least twice lmao)

Gruesome Gavin also vetoed safe injection site legislation this month. The dems have the gall to run on most of the poo poo they fight tooth and nail. Like during the recall gavin's campaign callers told me he supports m4a. Which he's going to conveniently say as long as Rendon is the speaker of the assembly and can kill it.
When it looked like it might have escaped commitee he suddenly expressed 'concern' about it.

Switzerland posted:

i mean, are you trying on the "lol ukrainians are nazis" angle favored by russian troll farms...?

wow Langley works weekends now?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
how do you do fellow leftists? I just happened to wander into this thread and my only post is repeating CIA/NATO propaganda, cleary some of you must be russian assets!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Getting back on topic, the democrats are obviously compromised by Putin, since as far back as 2018 they were repeating the Kremlin talking point that Ukrainian militias with heavy ties to the military were ethnonationalists. This same party even attempted to halt arms sales to the brave freedom fighters we now support.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i think there's an argument to be made that, just like how all those interviews with "regular americans" always end up being with local republican party representatives, the same dynamic is in play for ukrainian nazis. western media outlets are lazy as gently caress, and at best entirely oblivious, at worst complicit, to the fact that the nazis are deliberately trying to get put in front of the cameras to position themselves as defenders of ukraine/the west.

Right, I'm willing to concede maybe only 1-3% of the population are ethnonationalists in Ukraine. The problem is they've heavily infiltrated the military and the civilian government has both catered to them and created a perfect environment for them to become the heroes of the state, or turn all those weapons and combat experience after the war on their other enemies and undesirables.
The US is destabilizing the region and making things worse for everyone.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
just to be consistent we probably shouldn't give the russian nazis billions in weapons either

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Frosted Flake posted:

Pagani delenda est

but doctor, I am great clown Pagani!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Thoguh posted:

Barrett is completely legitimate and completely the fault of the hubris of Ginsberg.

Kavenaugh's spot is legitimate, but he isn't. He's openly compromised and owned and they also openly refused to do basic background checks on him because of how bad it is.

Gorsuch's spot was blatantly stolen, but on the other hand Obama just let them do it so I guess you could argue either way on that one.

No matter how you slice it though the court itself is illegitimate and the fact that Biden disagrees with that is a key factor in why the democrats will be destroyed in 2022.

Obama could have done a recess appointment but refused to out of decorum lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also wouldn't it have only delayed the result we got by a year

Recess appointments are yeah short term.
It's just funny that Republicans only need to threaten to maybe exploit the system to halt the dems from doing anything.
Hell, they haven't even had to threaten to filibuster like they did in the obama admin, just by existing and having tools available it cows the dems.

It's obviously because they're all on the same team, and the democrats don't really care if the GOP wins at everything, but the narrative is just so incoherent about why we should vote for or expect anything from blue team.

Like Pelosi is supposedly a wizard of procedurals and that's why she needs to be speaker, but she can't even whip her own caucus and hasn't stopped the Republicans from doing anything since 08.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
like idk maybe if I thought DEMOCRACY WAS AT STAKE I would make the bad guys actually park a dude on the senate floor and if he ever went to the bathroom call a vote and bar the door.
Hell, have a staffer loving drag him out of the room, if you're actually scared about society

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Relentlessboredomm posted:

has there been any good modeling around how voters have shifted around since 2020? there's places like CO where every single small town is now overwhelmed with coastal libs who've moved there or FL where the population in general has just loving skyrocketed.

it'd be odd if all that pandemic/WFH driven relocation didn't affect the political makeup of some places (elections don't matter, im just curious what level of chaos I can look forward to)

At this point I'd say the modeling and predictions are even more worthless than usual. Modeling is about matching patterns. The past few elections and years in this country have been shaped by world events that don't map to the electoral trends, so all anyone is doing is guessing and then trying to justify why the tea leaves they read were scientific.

hekaton posted:

theres like a 0% chance of taking any damage from chugging a single glass of even the lead-iest water, esp if your mr president and can get all your blood hotswapped by the end of the day

should have committed to the bit and chugged a pitcher and then had some aides unload a gatorade cooler of the water over him for good measure

Didn't he even fake it? I thought that was part of the controversy, he wouldn't even really drink the Flint water. But yeah, the issue isn't an adult being exposed to lead once, it's the long term effects of bioaccumulation, especially in developing bodies.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Business Gorillas posted:

i mean the other side of the civil war thinks war consists of the same thing except they get to say the n-word on facebook and force their estranged children to read it

The difference is the police actively help that side commit violence -as long as it doesn't go too far in interrupting the system. They infiltrate rightwing groups to steer them and make them better at terrorism and provide plausible deniability.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Right, looking up the video Obama just lightly sipped some of the flint water in such a brave and noble move

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Retromancer posted:

It would be cool if we got rid of the thin veneer of Democracy that still exists in America because all it does is make the most insane people on the internet go into shirt rending hysterics because they feel guilty about what their government is doing, when in reality they have no input to the system.

That's not true, it also helps comfortable low info libs sleep at night because they saw on tv/heard on npr that the problem isn't there after they voted correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've gotten a ton of emails and texts from long shot dems in different areas, pelosi, local gop, and bernie fundraising on behalf of others
Weird how when I was an active volunteer I never got approached, but one year of giving money to bernie and a few other anti-establishment primary challengers made me nancy's best friend forever.
gently caress I've never and will never given a dem money since then, but they still are hounding me for cash