Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also, seeing people/goons making fun of Trump for bringing it up, and like, old people love talking about their cognitive test after their appointment. Maybe not for as long or as stupidly as Trump, but they love talking about how it was tricky but they remembered everything (you know they say a set of numbers to you and then talk for awhile...). It's an old people thing, so lol at thinking that any of Trump's old base would think anything of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I was shocked to see someone the other day, not a cspam goon I think, point out that the whole "the polls are meaningless this far out" is because poo poo changes. If poo poo doesn't change then they're pretty loving predictive.

I know I shouldn't care, but it was driving me nuts to see so many people referencing Obama polling like poo poo in 2012 and struggling with uncommitted votes, because that was a problem at the time! It was a thing! The narrative, that I used to see repeated here a lot, is that Obama thought his best move was to lay low and coast to a small victory to avoid having to deal with the blue dogs and the leftists. And it was a disaster and around the time of the debates his advisors scolded him into actually trying and he campaigned and acted like 2008 Obama for long enough to con enough people at the same time that Romney fumbled hard.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

i hope a whole generation of american's first political memory is the democrats taking away tiktok (inshallah)

This is way too embarrassing to admit, but a part of my awful libertarian turn for the first year or so of college (I got better once I started talking to actual libertarians and learning poo poo) was probably at least partially influenced by the Democrats/Hillary going so hard against video games. I really bought into anger at the "nanny state." Going to be interesting if that ends up taking root. Hopefully it'll be funny.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

I think that's dead-on. Bad optics and leftist dissent hurt their brand and their core message of delivering incremental change through rational but moral actions. The GOP is all about wielding power using leverage to go directly after what they want, right now, regardless of the press or public pressure. Which is why they've been 10x as effective.

It's one of the few things that will still get under my skin from seeing dumbass Biden defenders in the wild. They'll say something like, oh the Republicans are in such a mess they couldn't even pick a speaker. And it's like, yeah, they were slightly embarrassed in the press for a couple of days and a radical wing of the party got a bunch of poo poo that they wanted. And no one normal cared and it didn't materially hurt them. Same thing with the tea party or a bunch of other stunts. It gets treated as dumb, pointless and chaotic but then you look and they pretty much won. So...

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Stacey Abrams floated the test balloon for that after her last loss.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

They're identical twins. The other one, the one that did the thing with Trump, played himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's very weird and they both seem like fame whores at best.

It was aggressively terrible too. Just the worst, flattest "cameo" from a dude who thinks he's a hero for something that 90% of Americans probably don't remember.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

I think it's reasonable to assume some percent of folks who didn't vote for Biden in the primary will come vote for him in November. What's not reasonable is assuming everyone will 'come home' in November no matter how much the dems tell them to eat poo poo in the months leading up to it.

They absolutely took the wrong lesson from 2020, that even promising to work against the left flank of the party and non-committed voters a historic number of people will come out against Trump.

It will be interesting to see how this fucks with volunteer numbers. That dumb post earlier showing that he's "only" lost 6% of youth voters over Palestine had someone point out that losing all your door knockers would probably suck. Then a bunch of people were gloating in the comments that actually most GOTV people are middle-aged ladies so Biden will be fine if no young people volunteer and he definitely won't have to spend all the Lizzo fundraiser money paying for people to knock on doors (and pray that they don't just chill on a bench and say they did it).

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Who could have foreseen this happening? Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

WampaLord posted:

they're mildly critical, but follow up any mild criticism with "don't get me wrong though, i'm still campaigning and voting for Biden"

Only thing that was really noteworthy was one of them actually did a mad post about how the whole "Oh jeez, guys. I know it looks like I'm at the ice cream parlour sharing a milkshake with my bestie Netanyahu, but privately I'm just so fricking mad. Steaming, really." just makes Biden look weak as hell and pathetic and he didn't understand how they couldn't grasp that. Which felt novel for someone in their position.

But yeah, a lot of polite pushback with assurances that they're still with Biden.