Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Can't believe you're not giving the Democrats a chance. They have to reconsecrate the White House before they can really get to work, and even with every room being outfitted with a TV playing West Wing compilations non-stop, the work is far from done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

hmmm....better not pass any of these, just to be safe
20%+15%+11% = 46% drop in votes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I hate the idea of McConaughey having any power because he seems like a weirdo libertarian but if a senile actor could gently caress us up so thoroughly for decades maybe a really high hippie one could do something good
who even knows at this point
These are your options for the 2028 election:

Candidate 1:
Pro-journalist murder
Pro-genocide

Candidate 2:
Anti-clothist
Pro-arts

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's going to be something to read Biden's apologia for congress when it invalidates his own re election in 2024
"A few days ago I told the American people I won the election. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

IIRC on his own recognizance Obama was a college communist until he learned that you can't pick up chicks by quoting theory at them and he just sort of went whole-hog on being the most cynical opportunistic piece of poo poo he could be

imagine getting turned down so hard you start drone-striking american citizens, it's like being a secret incel supervillain
Obama, a successful Taintrunner.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

i say swears online posted:

primary voters in 2020 overwhelmingly chose the more human candidates (joe and bernie) over the reptilians. pete and kam aren't going to find charisma anytime soon; there's a real opportunity for Literally Anyone Else to come in and steal the thunder
President Winfrey

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

If democrats cancel voting rights, all the republican attempts at removing them for minorities will be undermined completely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Only dogs can hear dogwhistles

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

well at least they’re going to focus on voting rights now so they can get obliterated fair and square in 2022
"Can't believe progressives forced us to fight for voting rights, and then they didn't even vote for us??"

(they did not fight for voting rights)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Republicans have a solid 35% and Democrats have a solid 30% now each can lose about five percent if they royally gently caress up like GWB did but still it means a majority of the country 55% are entirely enslaved to the big two. Now continued decline under the GOP under Trump 2nd term could make this less but I do believe that effectively at this point whatever comes to take over will have to accept it is effectively disenfranchising half the country due to them having brain worms for the big two.
Accounting for voter turnout, it's closer to only a third.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ex post facho posted:

"hey yall let's just draw ourselves out of a congressional seat" :cripes:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/stat...ingawful.com%2F
Makes sense if you're expecting broad loss of votes across the board, putting previously safe seats under threat. Of course it also implies a strategy of retreat, treating votes as something to be managed to - rather than something to be fought for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nothus posted:

"A strategy of retreat" has been the democratic party playbook since Reagan.
A strategy leading to defeat is one thing. Shifting your focus from "inevitable final triumph due to demographics" to "inevitable defeat due to irrational voters who don't realize that they're supposed to vote for the good guys" is something quite different. I mean, in both cases the thing they're actively doing is not doing anything for the people they want to get votes from, in one case they just assume the votes will keep coming, in the other they realize they won't.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

oh yeah and how do you plan to defend this country over that year, huh?!?!!??
Loan forgiveness program: You get your debt paid off by being in the military for five years, no matter the size of your debt. The size of your debt just determines how lovely/dangerous those five years are gonna be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if there was no pushback then trump might very well do some good poo poo on a whim. but that is obviously not the case and trump is a lazy coward.
Trump disproves great man theory.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The future of democrat presidential candidates:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think you're narrowly focused on the idea that one party Republican rule is necessarily the result of some kind of authoritarian measure, and not that Democrats become so useless and reviled the party itself implodes.
What are the chances that a new party won't establish itself to challenge the Republicans? The Whigs got destroyed and supplanted by the Republicans fast enough that their end fits within a regular two-term presidency. Or is the political landscape different enough that the transition period could be stretched out significantly?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ikanreed posted:

There should be something like 20,000 US representatives, btw. Having fewer is an intentional design decision to maintain the limitation of it being an upper class job.

That won't fix everything wrong with this country, but the "limited career pols" was very purposeful.
Even within the confines of representative democracy as it's implemented across the world, the US is only sitting at around 2/3 of the representatives it would be expected to have, one of four outliers in terms of very low level of representation. (The others being Israel, New Zealand and the Netherlands)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

they will definitely impeach him at least twice because you just know trump hates it that every news article on the subject refers to him as the only president to be impeached twice
I don't understand why you wouldn't embrace the fact that they came at you twice, and failed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

He did not and Hillary's polls went up after each one, with the biggest bump coming after the first one. Her numbers would plateau or be declining going into each of them.
I feel like this could also be interpreted as Hillary winning the "watches the debates live" audience, with Trump catching up and overtaking her as soundbites trickle down to the general voting public.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LastInLine posted:

While this is probably correct the thing to remember is that these are the same polls that told us Hillary was 98% certain to win. Why would anyone in 2022 talk about what the polls showed to support an argument about 2016? We know in hindsight that they were wrong.
I mean, there is also the votes vs. states issue. It's entirely possible for Hillary to have won every debate in terms of voters, and even some of them in terms of states initially, while still being a big loser on election day.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LastInLine posted:

We all know the rules of the game
I am not sure that's true.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1482087905820618759

The more stories I see like this, the more I think the Democrats are doomed in November. The "Everything's fine, back to normal" viewpoint doesn't work when people are constantly seeing signs of collapse.
Millions of voters in England hate Labour to this day because no one came to pick up the bins for like a week in the '70s.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No.

Trump doing nothing or trying to downplay the virus only fueled public skepticism and encouraging people to self-isolate. The Biden admin on the other hand did a broad front offensive on getting people to think the worst was behind us and everything can go back to normal - just in time for the most virulent strain of the virus to come to America.

I mean look at this poo poo:

these are objective measurements of Biden doing worse than Trump ever did
I feel it would be more accurate to say that Biden did more to increase spread, rather than Trump did more to mitigate it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

this is the genius of the democrats - with all the justices on one side, people will start bringing poo poo to the supreme court that will cause dissension within the republican justices and rupture the republican party!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Does either party even have the energy to start a war anymore? We're so far past the cold war and 9/11 that there's little ideological energy for one. The Trump and Biden admins have just been about looting and grifting while doing as little as possible. Plus both party leaderships are so old that half of them can't think straight.
They're starting a war - a War on Money Laundering:

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/1486245779182399488

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

shooting someone is scientifically a directed energy attack

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, they'll have to abandon their goal of EU membership too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

They did lose that election. They know that, right?
They're wise to Russian trickery now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1497009825146089475?s=20&t=M-V5Nu-yL4rtjUPZOV3GDA

Ukraine is a disastrous loss for Nato and American credibility, but at least they can still get some domestic mileage with MSNBC libs out of it.
No it isn't, it's like the best thing that could have happened for NATO. Various "freeloader" countries are considering rearming again, while public opinion on joining NATO has started to shift in committed neutrals like Finland. The more aggressive Russia acts, the more willing NATO countries are to fall in line behind the US or join up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ProperGanderPusher posted:

A friend of mine calls himself an Eisenhower Republican and really likes Biden. His litmus test for whether or not he likes politicians is how dignified they appear and how much they respect norms and decorum. He insists on holding the Republican label in spite of despising almost all of the modern GOP because he’s from the Great Plains and considers it a key part of his regional identity.

He can’t be the only one.
I feel like this is the exact demographic that Democrats are trying to woo? Like, the only difference between the two is whether they vote Democrat or Republican, so the establishment Democrats are convinced they can flip them - not realizing that their Republican vote is as identitarian as their own Democrat vote (which they also don't realize is identitarian).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

its crazy how the 2% of gas we get from russia is actually whats filling all our cars which is why 2 days after war breaks out prices spike because we have zero reserves
Oil is somewhat fungible, and sold on the world market. Doesn't really matter if the US only buys a small portion of Russian oil, if countries that used to get it from Russia are now competing for the stuff Americans guzzle.

That said, I'm pretty sure there should be a delayed effect if it was all based on the cost of oil, given that it has to be shipped, refined, and sold first, and contracts aren't a day to day thing. Obviously no reason not to hike it immediately though if you get a good excuse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Russia represents 8% of global oil, so at 4 dollars a gallon that's at most a what, 32 cent no russian tax?
So a year ago it was $3.70, right?

E: Sorry, this is comming off real dickish. I only mean that like most of the pandemic price increases they're using whatever situation as a cover and the price is going up because they know they can.
I'm pretty sure oil prices don't work like that. The tiny supply surplus that was established mid 2014, which maxed out at like 4% above demand, resulted in the price of oil dropping to less than half within half a year, eventually reaching a third a year later. Reverse that logic for Russia not being able to sell, and you'd expect the price of a gallon of gas to reach double digits. Of course Russia isn't actually locked out of the market, so it's not actually relevant yet.

But yeah, that's what I was trying to get across with my last sentence. They'll bump up the price as fast as they can ostensibly justify it, even if it's not "fair/actually justified", and only drop it down again if competition demands it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Stereotype posted:

$10/gal gas is a good thing that will help us transition away from wasteful energy usage and i'm proud of the democrats for making gas $10/gal. it's very brave of them
If gas is expensive enough, people won't be able to afford driving to the polls. Only people who don't drive will be able to vote, ensuring a Democratic landslide.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dawncloack posted:

Wait what? Source??
She admitted they had biological research facilities, not a biological weapons program.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DarkEuphoria posted:

Lol they got the press sec doing the presidents job

Destroy the democrats 2022
Does that mean she's the first female president of the US?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wouldn't buying in bulk be exactly what you should do? Your money becomes worth less over time, and buying in bulk is generally cheaper in the first place.

Obviously there is the question of whether you actually have the money to do so, but if you do, this seems straight up bad advice. At least the rest is just them being assholes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the retired lady we bought from told us that we weren't the highest bid, apparently we came in 3rd but our cringy letter of Our New Family pushed us to the top over all the institutional investors for her
institutional investors read this, start setting up shell families to buy homes cheaper

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc those letters (and pictures ofc) are required for all home purchases in oregon, i'd imagine they've already pioneered this one weird trick
corporate familyhood

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

wasn't there a period of times where real estate types would hire "model families" to occupy a home during the sale process?

it wouldn't surprise me one tiny bit to see them requesting application letters from families to live in their properties which they then turn around and use to circumvent poo poo like oregon's rules
The Americans, except instead of Soviet agents it's BlackRock employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

Domestic food shortages?

Democrats are so bad at colonialism and empire that they aren't even attempting to keep the populatoon fed. Like, we stole all those resources from other places. All those dead kids, polluted environments, destabilized countries and now America is planning on having food shortages?

hahahaha omg
Americans on average consume 60% too many calories, so this is only a food shortage in the same way that dialing back on institutional racism is discriminating against white people.