Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In all seriousness, how's Trump's health for comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Harris' greatest hits during the primary were when she went after Biden, something Bernie wasn't willing to do. And let's not forget that her campaign staff were Extremely Online in ways that make the most online Dirtbag Leftist look sober and serious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Can't wait for Hillary to dunk on Trump in 2016

https://twitter.com/OpenSecretsDC/status/1549810704278032385?s=20&t=buUUDBNYsIONNeujamjppA

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

Roe v. Wade solidified a basic constitutional right for all women
Evidently not

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Stereotype posted:

haha yeah they're a terrible party and will be destroyed in a few short months
Inshallah

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

haven't checked this thread in a while. so what's the current forecast for the level of destruction the democrats will face in '22?
https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1551967818123542528?s=20&t=yoczDi0RfVz6_Vxm8byPOw

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Seriously, after 2020, what do we do with the knowledge that a significant fraction of primary voters will vote for the last candidate they saw on television? Bloomberg did absurdly well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Would I vote for Tara Reade's rapist for $8,000? Well, that's a life changing amount of money whereas voting doesn't change anything, so probably.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
#votelikeblackwomen #voteforblackwomen #iftheyhavedcccfunding

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Personally I am an absolutist against any kind of gun regulation because I don't care if people shoot up a school or a mall or whatever. I don't have any horse in the race as I don't own guns or have any kids to die in a school shooting,
:wow:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zvahl posted:

it's more reasonable to not care because nobody will ever do anything about it in any meaningful way and nothing you can say do think or hope for will change that
I don't care about mass shootings, I care about how gun control legislation that will never happen forestalls a Maoist revolution that will never happen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was listening to Tides of History and WonderyTM has a podcast coming out about the Brumaire of January 6th. I expect the podcast networks have their minions poised to do shows about any political scandal that's sufficiently noteworthy, so people like this lady will be left out in the cold. Soon all they'll have left is getting mad online.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hell! World! Hell! World! Hell! World! Hell! World!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Nah, that sounds like exactly the kind of stupid thing that they're smart enough to do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
One of the microbiologists I work with told me about how she went on a cruise ship last year and everyone got COVID

She has an Anthony Fauci action figure in her office

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

speaking of drag queens i saw some vote blue no matter who people posting “don’t vote for desantis, he looks like a drag queen” memes on my facebook feed today
Boomer Democrats are an unstoppable force. Nothing can stand in their way when they focus on their goals: failing, losing, and alienating everyone under 50.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think there needs to be a strategy. the way i look at, there are class struggles and there are small-d democratic struggles (such as for equality, dignity, etc.) and they are interrelated.
I'm not categorically against voting for Democrats, provided it's just an instrument to wining those democratic struggles. I just won't do anything (vote, volunteer, or donate) that's just going to benefit people like Henry Cuellar and his donors. I also have standards; I'm not going to vote for Abigail Spanberger under any circumstances because I will not under any circumstances reward the Party for running spooks and ghouls.

I keep thinking about how the Republican base mostly gets what it wants from the Republican Party, partly because they don't catastrophize every election and are perfectly willing to withhold their vote from someone they consider a RINO. (There are other vital factors, though, like the fact that the base mostly either wants the same thing as capital or doesn't cost capital much of anything.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's how they rationalize all the corruption and pedophilia scandals within the church, right? Nothing wrong with the Church itself, it got infiltrated by Satanic pedos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I forgot that not every SCOTUS judge is Catholic.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Aug 25, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

You get used to it in Canada where Protestant anti-Catholicism became “secular” in the 60’s and 70’s but it’s the same poo poo.

“The final strain of anti- Catholicism is largely emptied of ethnic, linguistic or theological hostility. It is still present in the mainstream and often centres on the alleged socio-cultural and sexual backwardness and distortedness of the Church in the modern world. This form is best characterized by Mark Massa who has dubbed the set of beliefs underlying it “social- scientific anti-Catholicism.” Anti-Catholicism in this sense is a process of “boundary- making” by non-Catholics, perceiving religion as being thoroughly privatized; yet Catholicism has consistently refused this conception of society and the rigid divide between public and private religion it entails into the twenty-first century. Therefore, while public culture in North America has often attempted to become or appear fully secularized, the Catholic Church had stubbornly continued to assert its authority over moral matters which it sees as natural, raising the ire of many within this public culture.”

“John Saddy of London, Ontario, perhaps best summarized this recent strain of anti-Catholicism when he appealed to the centuries-old stereotype of Catholic priests and officials as sexual perverts, a trope that is also contained in some of the rhetoric surrounding the recent revelations regarding the Church obfuscating the fact that a small group of priests were committing sexual assault and acts of pedophilia for decades around the world. Clearly, according to Saddy, anyone comfortable with their own sexuality would have no problem with same-sex marriage, something impossible for a celibate clergy engaged in systematic hypocrisy: “when the world’s largest employer of homosexuals and lesbians, the Roman Catholic Church, condemns gay weddings, it is the epitome of hypocrisy.” This writer confusingly seems to be equating joining the priesthood or becoming a nun with unprofessed homosexuality, a sweeping generalization which in itself castigates homosexuality as an abnormal development while simultaneously defending the rights of same-sex marriage. Celibacy, or homosexuality for that matter, simply did not fit into this correspondent’s vision of the modern world and anyone who chose it was clearly perplexed about their own, “natural,” sexuality. Philip Jenkins notes that the trope of the priesthood as refuge for the homosexual, interpreting this as evidence that the Catholic Church promoted depraved sexuality, was a prominent theme in sensationalistic nineteenth century anti-Catholic literature. When adapted to contemporary society this stereotype has become used to promote a defence of sexual pluralism while rebuking the hierarchy for hindering the “psychosexual development” of its clergy; the Church thus acted as a form of “institutionalized closet.”

- Anti-Catholicism and English Canadian Nationalism
I think people don't like the Catholic Church because they've presided over and covered up innumerable sex crimes against children

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

wow I can’t believe dan brown wrote all this lore
Intra-Catholic squabbles are surreal, because the Church has very real and obvious problems and its defenders are burying themselves in theological arguments so that they can avoid confronting those problems and doing the necessary things to solve them. Little factions of hosed-up perverts arguing that priests rape children because they play the wrong edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

The Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith is incredibly restrained compared to what it once was, not least because secular authorities have tied their hands from firmly confronting the problems and doing the necessary things to solve them. If they were permitted the tools under the law again, that would be a start.
If you know that your employee is raping kids, it's legal to file a police report.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m sorry that you’re in a period of desolation and I hope your faith is restored.
I checked, and it turns out that it's legal to fire people for raping kids. Pretty sure the Diocessuary or whatever's hands aren't tied.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Poverty, charity, humility, and not raping children are for working class Catholics, not for rich ones. I think they call themselves the Magistratospherium or something. Before Vatican II everyone understood this, but we live in a fallen world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

As it is God’s only Church there is both. Also the fact you’re playing out a long game of “gently caress you mom” doesn’t concern me. The democrats being destroyed and never coming back does.
I would simply not allow My Church to systematically commit sex crimes against My children, especially the ones who are literally children. I guess that's why I'm not God.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I will never vote for a former CIA agent, in part because there's no such thing as a former CIA agent

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Time to sell my Jeni's stock.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If I were more sociologically minded I might even argue that the whole push toward identity as politics that really started in the 90s was an engineered effort to turn people from goal-oriented politics of the 60s and 70s (let's use the ERA as an example of a project that you can advocate for from either party perspective) to something that's innate and therefore benign (You're gay? You must be a democrat, then.). I don't know enough about the field to say whether that argument passes scrutiny.
I'd quibble with this and argue that the movement toward identity-group politics started when the Party abandoned labour under Carter, and was pretty well solidified with the '92 election.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
At this point that's probably a good idea. The last thing they want to be doing at this point is "America is already great" or having their surrogates smugly scolding people for not understanding that the President doesn't have dials to change inflation and gas prices.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mass shootings and abortion rights are material concerns. Too bad the Democrats won't do anything about them besides whine that they can't do anything about them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think Biden has said a handful of times that if they just get 2 more they can pass all these good things. But it's not shouted enough and more pointedly, who's going to actually believe it given literally all of recorded history?
They will never ever ever say "If you give us the majority we need, we will pass a bill, and you can hold us to that." It's all "I will fight for affordable access to healthcare."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Needless Ramblings posted:

is Fetterman's entire campaign still based around calling Oz a carpetbagger and implying he's too Turkish to be a real philly trash bitch like the billionaire's kid?

because it feels there's a lot more ways to attack Doctor 'literally the guy who lobbied congress to deregulate supplements and sells 'magic pills' to his audience daily' Oz than going 'HE AIN'T EVEN FROM AROUND HERE!!!!'
Who gives a poo poo as long as you win?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I definitely believe that a major Party doesn't actually want to win the battle over abortion rights so that they can keep fundraising off the issue

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have it on good authority that projecthalaxy did bodies and spaces at the polling place, and may even have invoked tropes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lord of Pie posted:

I'm all for politicians being forced to have unique names like the screen actors guild makes you do, so we can get into some real space mutiny poo poo

Burn Washington Burn: An Alan Smithee Presidency

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not sure who I'm going to vote for in the House election. I'm thinking about Gore Vidal, he's overdue for recognition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I spend all of my time online, therefore it is the only thing that exists
https://twitter.com/timjacobwise/status/1587231058881351682

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just hope Robert "Beto" O'Rourke loses so that I never have to see, hear, or think about him ever again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm working off the theory that you can only lose so many elections and still be a candidate. I don't even care if O'Rourke fails upward into some party leadership position like Jaime Harrison, as long as I never have to think about him again. Harrison is no longer sending me emails threatening to commit suicide if I don't mail him grandma's Social Security check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm personally looking forward to another round of "Black men are the white men of minorities" and "Latinx folx are racist" articles. That went over like a lead balloon in 2020, and there's nothing liberals love more than a proven failure.