Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

I was excited to finally see Tyler Macon or really anyone other than Bazelak for Mizzou, although I didn't want it to come because of injury.

Then I noticed next week is Georgia and now I really hope Bazelak gets better fast because I don't want to feed a freshman to them. I mean, not because of any thought of competitiveness, that ain't happening. Just because I don't want whichever guy they go with (there's a RS Freshman too) to be broken right off the bat.

Yeah. And if Baz is hurt, then I'd prefer Brady Cook get the nod even though I am way higher on Macon. Cook is older and also I will care less if Georgia mentally damages him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ladies and gentlemen, Wake Forest is a top ten team!

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can’t believe he was a) a Wake Forest player in the first place and b) transferred out of there (no offense). He’s our best running back since Le’Veon Bell, who himself was somehow a two star recruit I believe.

There was some beef with him and Coach Clawson; part of me is starting to think Kenneth wanted them to use a more traditional running offense and the coaching staff was like LOL nah.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

LET'S loving GO

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jack Podlesny was really good last season and now he sucks and I absolutely blame Muschamp running the special teams. Yeah I know Pod is working stuff on his own and it's not like Muschamp is hands-on with the individual kickers but in my mind he's howling at him at practice and ruining his confidence.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

D.N. Nation posted:

Nebraska fires Frost after the Ohio State game, yes?

I don’t think the new AD will do anything before the end of the year. But at this point it’s likely just a matter of who he can get. Another year of Frost isn’t out of the question, with huge staff changes.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

mastershakeman posted:

Considering how bad a defensive coordinator tucker was in the NFL, it's kind of cool to see him succeeding now with you guys. Out of the six "powers" in the big ten (osu, psu, msu, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa) I think I like seeing msu succeed the most since they're the little brother in their state

See, I don’t mind being constantly thought of as the underdog, or the little brother, because I think it gives motivation. But in semi-recent history, it’s really not at all true

CFP Appearances
MSU: 1
UM: 0

Big 10 Championships
*Since 2011 when the Championship game was established*
MSU Appearances: 3
MSU Wins: 2

UM Appearances: 0
UM Wins: 0

Rivalry Record Last 20 Years
MSU 11 - UM 10

Wins Against OSU Last 10 Years
MSU: 2
UM: 1

Bowl Games Last 10 Years
MSU Appearances: 8
MSU Wins: 6

UM Appearances: 9
UM Wins: 2

Top 10 Finishes Last 10 Years
MSU: 3
Highest Ranking: 3rd

UM: 1.5 (9th coaches, 12 AP)
Highest Ranking: 9th

So really, this whole conception that MSU is the inferior football program in the state is a little silly

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Omne posted:

Total horse poo poo that you are ranked below Michigan right now

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

hell i'd argue that Wake should be above oklahoma, too.

gently caress the AP

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Here's another top 10 play from Wake Forest

https://gfycat.com/tallsafebarracuda

Most burned a woman's been since Joan of Arc

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Omne posted:

:lol: OSU won and dropped a spot, probably appropriate with that ugly win. Plus they still play UM and MSU, so it'll all sort out.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pobrecito posted:

i dont have the tweet anymore but someone put out that steve sarkisian has already had a bigger loss by margin, a bigger blown lead, and a longer losing streak than tom herman ever did

That makes sense, given that Tom Herman is a better head football coach than Steve Sarkisian.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

single-mode fiber posted:

Here's another top 10 play from Wake Forest

https://gfycat.com/tallsafebarracuda

Most burned a woman's been since Joan of Arc

This is savage

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There was some beef with him and Coach Clawson; part of me is starting to think Kenneth wanted them to use a more traditional running offense and the coaching staff was like LOL nah.

Sounds like a mutually beneficial split I guess!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Omne posted:

This is savage

Wake Forest 2021: MGTOW

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its annoying that texas is wasting bijan robinson on this season

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

The Florida Gators.

That’s it, that’s my post. Thanks for reading.

to hell with them I say

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

downout posted:

:lol: OSU won and dropped a spot, probably appropriate with that ugly win. Plus they still play UM and MSU, so it'll all sort out.

I know it is more because they had to make a slot to move MSU up, so someone had to come down. But it still amuses me that Penn State almost benefited from a close loss. Still lurking around the top 25!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pretty sure that Iowa State just got lucky last year. They somehow got worse even though they retained nearly all their starters. Defense was awful yesterday and the secondary got picked apart.

There were a few questionable calls by the refs, but ISU still shouldn’t have let WVU score so much.

Only thing to play for now is a bowl game, which normally would be fine. Expectations were super high this year, and the Clones failed to meet that yet again.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How the gently caress did Texas go from actually exciting to watch for the first time in forever to losing every game in the second half?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Texas might be the most poison pill job in football. That job is cursed, and I say this as a Tennessee man.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1454925464276029441

Noteworthy development if you're keeping an eye on the Texas Tech job. Not sure Traylor bothers signing this if he was going to Tech in a month.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

Texas might be the most poison pill job in football. That job is cursed, and I say this as a Tennessee man.

I literally do not understand how Texas is a mess. You have an endless supply of money in a state with a bottomless number of football players available to recruit and unmatched interest in the sport.

I guess you just have too many Buck Stricklands sticking their nose into it like they do at the high school pancake breakfast, but at a level where that nonsense is actually, quantifiably harmful.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1454925464276029441

Noteworthy development if you're keeping an eye on the Texas Tech job. Not sure Traylor bothers signing this if he was going to Tech in a month.

You sign this if you've liked your relationship with your current school and want them to get a bag to remember you by (Colorado State and Jim McElwain)

https://twitter.com/mattdworkman/status/1454929546579484673?s=21

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sash! posted:

I literally do not understand how Texas is a mess. You have an endless supply of money in a state with a bottomless number of football players available to recruit and unmatched interest in the sport.

I guess you just have too many Buck Stricklands sticking their nose into it like they do at the high school pancake breakfast, but at a level where that nonsense is actually, quantifiably harmful.

You literally do understand how Texas is a mess

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Feels like Texas and Florida have been on identical paths for the last 20 years

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nachos posted:

Feels like Texas and Florida have been on identical paths for the last 20 years

yeah they're both Bad Now and will never be good again despite their fans expecting them to turn it around any day now

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Alaois posted:

yeah they're both Bad Now and will never be good again despite their fans expecting them to turn it around any day now

Florida "bad" is winning the SEC East 3 out of what, the past 6 years?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

Florida "bad" is winning the SEC East 3 out of what, the past 6 years?

yeah florida fans are georgia fans about 3-4 years ago when Mark Richt going 11-1 and winning the Sugar Bowl should have been a fireable offense

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

As much joy as a piss poor Florida team brings me, I see a pattern with that program that I’ve seen before in Knoxville. A few different coaching eras with scattered successes, but no luck rolling those successes into a durable competitive edge.

I’m not familiar with the ins and outs of Gainesville boosters, but if they’re anything like Vol boosters, they can barely see beyond the end of their nose when it comes to program rebuilding.

Obviously this all translates over time into an ever deepening hole, which makes it even harder to recruit and attract coaching talent. This is a problem in a region with multiple recent national champion programs within a few hours drive, not to mention the other local blue chip programs in the SEC East or the 2 Mississippi teams.

I thought Mullen was a better coach than he appears to be when he got the job, but if they sack him, the next coach is gonna have to start from scratch with the croots in a painful way. But it seems like that’s the situation already, so whatever. I might be off base, but I’ve seen these tea leaves before.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Sash! posted:

I mean, it’s basically just what happens when you have direct democracy with your boosters. Alabama’s boosters essentially run a loving think tank to keep everyone in line, same with essentially every playoff team to date, assuming it isn’t just a Phil knight style mega booster. The ironic part of cfb right now is that the players need more power and the admins/coaches should probably turn their petty dictator tendencies towards the money but lol texas will never do that.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/newyscruggs/status/1454950666376470536

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frogsowar/status/1454950885914816512?s=21

Better job than Texas Tech?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Somewhere in Arizona, Gendo gets an itch in his brain

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Did I miss some (new) TCU scandal or is he just taking off because he doesn't want to do it anymore?

He's been even more increasingly pissy above and beyond his normal self about everything the last few years it seems.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Did I miss some (new) TCU scandal or is he just taking off because he doesn't want to do it anymore?

He's been even more increasingly pissy above and beyond his normal self about everything the last few years it seems.

It feels like a “you’re fired but you’ve been here forever so we’re going to let you pretend it was your idea” situation

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

They're 3-5, so it may be the eternal "somebody somewhere is sick of her poo poo" dynamic finally hitting home

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TCU has been on a slow decline since they joined the Big 12. Pretty sure this is the school forcing him out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gary Patterson has the kind of personality that gets him fired about 5 minutes after he stops winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

TCU has been on a slow decline since they joined the Big 12. Pretty sure this is the school forcing him out.

I wouldn't necessarily say "since they joined the Big 12", tbf, they were excellent in '14 and '15 and played in the title game in '17, but it's been a slog since then. I'm surprised Gary didn't get to finish the season or at least a chance to ruin Baylor's season, and it's always a big deal when a coach is fired after being there for two decades, but it's not truly shocking when TCU started the season as a Big 12 darkhorse and now might miss a bowl to cap off a disappointing few years.

Now here's what really strikes me now: Basically everyone who knows anything about Texas Tech knew what kind of coach they like and the top few names that would take over the discussion. But I, at least, have no goddamn idea what TCU's going to want to try now that Patterson's out. Do you want a coach who can try and maintain TCU's defensive reputation? Do you want to try and replicate the elite offenses of the Boykin years? Just get the best G5 coach who'll say yes? No idea.

GD_American posted:

Gary Patterson has the kind of personality that gets him fired about 5 minutes after he stops winning

Also this, yeah, there was a fairly steady trickle of rumors that the players hated his guts even when times were good, I cannot imagine that the locker room has particularly improved now that they're getting housed by a middling KSU team.