Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Spooky news for college football fans today.

Nick Saban turns 70 on Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

Did I miss some (new) TCU scandal or is he just taking off because he doesn't want to do it anymore?

He's been even more increasingly pissy above and beyond his normal self about everything the last few years it seems.

Have you listened to his pressers recently? NIL and transfers have broke his brain

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol I thought Jerry Kill retired because of health issues? but now he's back as an interim

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1454959415564673026

I am a little sad that we won't have the opportunity to hear what Gary's presser would sound like after (probably) getting blown the gently caress out by Baylor for the first time in at least a decade. He drat near lost his mind after losing to SMU this year and that wasn't even that bad a loss, meanwhile on paper Baylor probably shreds this TCU team.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GD_American posted:

Spooky news for college football fans today.

Nick Saban turns 70 on Halloween.

nick saban is way older than i thought, drat

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Alaois posted:

nick saban is way older than i thought, drat

I mean, he literally was there for the Kent State shooting

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

I mean, he literally was there for the Kent State shooting

Along with Gary Pinkel, who coached long enough to be the winningest coach at two different schools and retired six years ago now.

Saban has definitely been around a while. His curmudgeonly bs actually keeps him young somehow is all I can think.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/alex_kirshner/status/1454961113024638977
lmfao i forgot about this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
#FireJerryKill

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I am as surprised as anyone but feel obligated to inform you that Bo Nix is a good quarterback now

Grittybeard posted:

His curmudgeonly bs actually keeps him young somehow is all I can think.
Probably all the Little Debbie preservatives

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

See, I don’t mind being constantly thought of as the underdog, or the little brother, because I think it gives motivation. But in semi-recent history, it’s really not at all true

CFP Appearances
MSU: 1
UM: 0

Big 10 Championships
*Since 2011 when the Championship game was established*
MSU Appearances: 3
MSU Wins: 2

UM Appearances: 0
UM Wins: 0

Rivalry Record Last 20 Years
MSU 11 - UM 10

Wins Against OSU Last 10 Years
MSU: 2
UM: 1

Bowl Games Last 10 Years
MSU Appearances: 8
MSU Wins: 6

UM Appearances: 9
UM Wins: 2

Top 10 Finishes Last 10 Years
MSU: 3
Highest Ranking: 3rd

UM: 1.5 (9th coaches, 12 AP)
Highest Ranking: 9th

So really, this whole conception that MSU is the inferior football program in the state is a little silly

Kloaked00 posted:

Total horse poo poo that you are ranked below Michigan right now

huge "little brother" energy from this series of posts

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I predict TCU will regret this move

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

About even, really. You go with whichever pays more.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The best teachers also learn from their students

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SZD is far and away the best college football podcast out there, but I get a little tired of Kirshner constantly feeling the need to remind us that this guy or that is a piece of poo poo. Like, if you’re so squeamish that you can’t say anything about Ole Miss without bringing up DJ Durkin, maybe you’re covering the wrong sport.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 1, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

General Dog posted:

About even, really. You go with whichever pays more.

Tech is the bigger school right? I think TCU has an edge just because of location.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tech has a bigger fanbase and probably quite a bit bigger living alumni base. I don’t know if I’ve ever encountered a TCU fan/alumn in the wild.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Grittybeard posted:

His curmudgeonly bs actually keeps him young somehow is all I can think.

Saban's secret? Deez nuts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

General Dog posted:

Tech has a bigger fanbase and probably quite a bit bigger living alumni base. I don’t know if I’ve ever encountered a TCU fan/alumn in the wild.

They travel exceptionally well for their size. But I dunno about seeing them anywhere in real life.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Omne posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Wake Forest is a top ten team!

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll
drat :rip: Pitt :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

I've seen a few around the metroplex, fwiw. Old dentist's place had a lot of TCU fan stuff, and I've seen a reasonable amount of T-shirts and poo poo commuting into Dallas at my old job over the past 5 years.

PostNouveau posted:

Eh, I dunno. They've been irrelevant for the past half decade and now the defense that's supposed to be his infallible calling card is outright awful, all with what is on paper the most talented roster in the Big 12 outside of OU/UT. Not sure they'll make the right hire here but I don't see much evidence that Patterson was just a year away from getting them back into title contention.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I've met plenty of TCU fans and alums here in central Oklahoma. Hell, lived next to one until a few months ago. They're certainly not as plentiful as fans of OK and TX state schools, sure, but they're here and there.

I'm gonna miss Patterson's sweaty Phillip Seymour Hoffman-lookin' rear end. Gave OU a loss in my first game as an OU fan, and the 2010 Rose Bowl is probably my favorite non-OU game I've watched.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I think Patterson was more or less used up, but I think they will regret how it went down. You only get to force your program-defining coach into retirement once, and I think they may wish they’d have been able to get it done on better terms.

(Although Patterson was never going to make it easy)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jeff Bower proved that getting rid of successful mid-major coaches that passed up better opportunities in the past is never going to end prettily.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

I think Patterson was more or less used up, but I think they will regret how it went down. You only get to force your program-defining coach into retirement once, and I think they may wish they’d have been able to get it done on better terms.

(Although Patterson was never going to make it easy)

Honest question, how else do you get this done, especially knowing that TTU has a head start on largely the same set of targets that you do?

....Hope Baylor blows you out in a week and that the public embarrassment makes the decision easier to understand at a glance?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

LLCoolJD posted:

Saban's secret? Deez nuts.

Ligma vaccines

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kloaked00 posted:

See, I don’t mind being constantly thought of as the underdog, or the little brother, because I think it gives motivation. But in semi-recent history, it’s really not at all true

CFP Appearances
MSU: 1
UM: 0

Big 10 Championships
*Since 2011 when the Championship game was established*
MSU Appearances: 3
MSU Wins: 2

UM Appearances: 0
UM Wins: 0

Rivalry Record Last 20 Years
MSU 11 - UM 10

Wins Against OSU Last 10 Years
MSU: 2
UM: 1

Bowl Games Last 10 Years
MSU Appearances: 8
MSU Wins: 6

UM Appearances: 9
UM Wins: 2

Top 10 Finishes Last 10 Years
MSU: 3
Highest Ranking: 3rd

UM: 1.5 (9th coaches, 12 AP)
Highest Ranking: 9th

So really, this whole conception that MSU is the inferior football program in the state is a little silly

I'm not saying you're inferior, just overshadowed by an overentitled program. I really enjoyed that bowl record stat. Um, just like Notre Dame, gets sent to better bowls than they deserve and get killed

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
It's nice not even really thinking about Michigan anymore as an Ohio State fan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I still don't understand how Michigan was ever ranked in the top ten this year. I don't watch much Big 10 ball, but they were a two win team last year and their best win this year was....Wisconsin? Iowa State probably has a better resume.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I still don't understand how Michigan was ever ranked in the top ten this year. I don't watch much Big 10 ball, but they were a two win team last year and their best win this year was....Wisconsin? Iowa State probably has a better resume.

Look, they've won 0.5 titles in the past 72 years--they've earned a lot of good will in the polls.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

Powerful name recognition in a sport where name recognition is extremely important. Plus they win just enough games most years to not tip casual CFB observers off to the fact that they've coasted for so long on name recognition, unlike the Miamis and current-day USCs of the world.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

To be fair, every undefeated team in P5 except Wake Forest was in the top 10 by week 8, so it wasn’t especially a case of Michigan specifically getting a big bump. That’s just how the polls typically work, roughly sorting teams by conference and number of losses.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

General Dog posted:

To be fair, every undefeated team in P5 except Wake Forest was in the top 10 by week 8, so it wasn’t especially a case of Michigan specifically getting a big bump. That’s just how the polls typically work, roughly sorting teams by conference and number of losses.

Also Iowa State has 3 losses, what the gently caress

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

whos that broooown posted:

Also Iowa State has 3 losses, what the gently caress

Was an easier argument to make before they lost to WVU, to be fair, but who has Michigan beaten that's obviously a better win than Oklahoma State?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Was an easier argument to make before they lost to WVU, to be fair, but who has Michigan beaten that's obviously a better win than Oklahoma State?

No one, but it doesn't really matter when you have 2 fewer losses.

I mean by that logic Texas A&M should be above Georgia.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 1, 2021

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

General Dog posted:

SZD is far and away the best college football podcast out there, but I get a little tired of Kirshner constantly feeling the need to remind us that this guy or that is a piece of poo poo. Like, if you’re so squeamish that you can’t say anything about Ole Miss without bringing up DJ Durkin, maybe you’re covering the wrong sport.

I think he's pretty consistent with saving his vitriol for Durkin and anti-union folks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

They were beating the poo poo out of most of their opponents, which is all you need to do if you already have a big name.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

whos that broooown posted:

No one, but it doesn't really matter when you have 2 fewer losses.

I mean by that logic Texas A&M should be above Georgia.

Or by yours UTSA should be right in the thick of the playoff hunt

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Or by yours UTSA should be right in the thick of the playoff hunt

I'm all in on meep meep baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I'm all in on meep meep baby.

well I mean yes if I could put them there I would, but not because they have better wins than any other contender lol