Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm 10% into the first book, just got to the chapter The Gleeman. Enjoying it so far and looking forward to what crazy places it goes from this podunk village, and hoping to have a good chunk of this book done by Friday.

Edit: up to date he start of Winternight. One thing I'll say is while I don't think the extra prologue, Ravens, really had much going on, it's helped me to hammer home who the hell everyone is. There's already like 50 named characters if you count the 4 named strangers it seems.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Liandrin! :mad:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Zulus sir, thousands of them.

End of book 2

:black101:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the books are good at providing some real scumbag women if you ever felt there were a shortage of them in fiction

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Just wrapped up book 12, onto books I've never read before! Unfortunately the only way I was able to get them was in a box set, and the cover art is loving soulless. Not even a smidgeon of Sweet's artwork

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nail Rat posted:

I'm 10% into the first book, just got to the chapter The Gleeman. Enjoying it so far and looking forward to what crazy places it goes from this podunk village, and hoping to have a good chunk of this book done by Friday.

Edit: up to date he start of Winternight. One thing I'll say is while I don't think the extra prologue, Ravens, really had much going on, it's helped me to hammer home who the hell everyone is. There's already like 50 named characters if you count the 4 named strangers it seems.

Just finished up Chapter 5, Winternight, and holy poo poo poo poo got real fast

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nail Rat posted:

Just finished up Chapter 5, Winternight, and holy poo poo poo poo got real fast

Yep. The author said he deliberately tried to make the opening of The Eye of the World feel pretty Lord of the Rings-y, very familiar. As he put it:

RJ posted:

I wanted to say, "This is the place you know, guys. Now we're going somewhere else." And then the Trolloc kicked in the farmhouse door. [Book 1, Ch5: Winternight spoiler]

Chapter 6, The Westwood, is one of my favorite moments from early in the series.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I read the first three books sometime a couple years ago, but now I want to restart EOTW before I start watching the show. Guess I've got 2 days to plow through it!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’m also on my first read through of the series. I remember starting book 1 sometime in 2011 but only getting about 50 pages in before I got too busy and it fell off. I figured the TV series was as much motivation as could be had to actually read it finally.

Some side thoughts on the first book so far, I’m not planning on posting anything substantial to the plot because I’m sure all the possible theory-crafting was already burnt through two decades ago.

Book 1 only:
Im oddly enjoying how through book 1 both Perrin and Rand both think the other is far better at talking to other people, and are both dense as rocks when it comes to women.
Mats slow descent into depression and anxiety seems rather overwrought and almost annoying. More annoying then the young casts original youthful idiocy in the first few hundred pages. And I think the point of how it was written was to split the idea that it could be the knife or it could really just be mat’s reaction to all the trouble.
There seemed to be a whole section that showed up twice in Rand and Mats journey after whitebridge. Some sort of editing error? It was them getting scarves from a kind farmer, maybe 50 pages apart? Their whole inn and woods thing seemed to repeat the same plot beats twice as of the section had been throughly rewritten but both versions were left in.

E; and Rand seemingly having his first time power chills twice in that same sequence

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 17, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

M_Gargantua posted:

There seemed to be a whole section that showed up twice in Rand and Mats journey after whitebridge. Some sort of editing error? It was them getting scarves from a kind farmer, maybe 50 pages apart? Their whole inn and woods thing seemed to repeat the same plot beats twice as of the section had been throughly rewritten but both versions were left in.

E; and Rand seemingly having his first time power chills twice in that same sequence

That section isn't an error, it's an incredibly weirdly written timeline of a flashback within a flashback that doesn't vibe at all with how Jordan wrote the rest of the book (or series). Events in those chapters probably didn't happen in the order you think they did.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rarity posted:

That section isn't an error, it's an incredibly weirdly written timeline of a flashback within a flashback that doesn't vibe at all with how Jordan wrote the rest of the book (or series). Events in those chapters probably didn't happen in the order you think they did.

The section was so confusing that there’s an article about it in the WOTFAQ.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

M_Gargantua posted:

I’m also on my first read through of the series. I remember starting book 1 sometime in 2011 but only getting about 50 pages in before I got too busy and it fell off. I figured the TV series was as much motivation as could be had to actually read it finally.

Some side thoughts on the first book so far, I’m not planning on posting anything substantial to the plot because I’m sure all the possible theory-crafting was already burnt through two decades ago.

Book 1 only:
Im oddly enjoying how through book 1 both Perrin and Rand both think the other is far better at talking to other people, and are both dense as rocks when it comes to women.
Mats slow descent into depression and anxiety seems rather overwrought and almost annoying. More annoying then the young casts original youthful idiocy in the first few hundred pages. And I think the point of how it was written was to split the idea that it could be the knife or it could really just be mat’s reaction to all the trouble.

Since googling for this stuff is spoiler-ific, here's a direct link to the faq article about your book one question
https://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/2_nondark/2.7_generalities/2.7.7_scarves.html

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Lmao. That seems like something an editor should have caught and then cleaned up? At least to make the confused timeline more explicit. If you need a table to explain what’s really going on its not a good sign. Still enjoyed it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thankfully that is the only section in the entire series where the editing is that confusing. Everything else is normal.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The WOTFAQ is an amazing internet artifact and should be required reading between Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
CAn you still access the old archive versions that came out between each book? e.g., "wotfaq as it was when Dragon Reborn came out" etc

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SerSpook posted:

Frodo was, in fact, described as having an Elvish look to him, iirc.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Just as a warning, episode 1 of WoT already has spoilers in it for things people on book 1 wont know yet - worth bearing that in mind if you are planning on watching.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I’m just gonna trust the show is going to use the foreknowledge of an old book series to trim things to be a bit less meandering for TV.

Imagine if they tried to play it straight through

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

M_Gargantua posted:

I’m just gonna trust the show is going to use the foreknowledge of an old book series to trim things to be a bit less meandering for TV.

Imagine if they tried to play it straight through

Winter Dragon is great. :colbert:

(Don't watch Winter Dragon, new readers. It's terrible.)

Lews Junior!
[Winter Dragon spoiler, minor.]

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

As an only book 1 reader for now, the show is really bumming me out with how many differences there are. It’s probably done in service to get to the rest of the books, but I think book 1 as written would’ve made for some good tv.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Eh, the abruptness of the first episode and how fast they leave the Shire the Two Rivers is probably needed. Otherwise you have two relatively slow-paced episodes, which does not exactly make for a compelling entry to a television show. The changes to Perrin, however, were weird and while I get what they were going for, seemed like the laziest, dumbest way of communicating that point

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the first season is 8 episodes and cost 100 million dollars to make, if you think they needed to spend 4-5 episodes on just the beginning then you're flat-out insane

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've finished book one and moving onto book 2, and am current on the Show for now, but can we keep this thread 100% book newbie zone?

Here is the TVIV show thread, and I think that is also a no book spoiler zone?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mercenarynuker posted:

Eh, the abruptness of the first episode and how fast they leave the Shire the Two Rivers is probably needed. Otherwise you have two relatively slow-paced episodes, which does not exactly make for a compelling entry to a television show. The changes to Perrin, however, were weird and while I get what they were going for, seemed like the laziest, dumbest way of communicating that point

You could do the first ep leading up to Winternight ending on the big action sequence and the town in flames then you'd have episode 2 to process the fallout and let everyone deal with the emotional weight of leaving home. It would have just given the characters a bit more space to breathe so people are more attached to them

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

It should come as a surprise to no one that given the sheer length of the WoT books it would not be described as fast paced overall. RJ and then BS after him was telling a detailed and complex story and did not rush the job. The TV series will be entertaining I am sure but simply cannot go at the same pace as the books. I think anyone expecting a carbon copy of the books but on screen is setting themselves up to be disappointed. For this thread I would suggest if you are on a first read through maybe don't watch the series if you don't want spoilers because I would think it fairly likely they will foreshadow with less subtlety than RJ did and it may impair your enjoyment even if you think you will just watch up to the point you are currently at in the books.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think we can be hopeful that the showrunner is a fan and that it isn't a total train wreck so far. All the mystifying decisions made to my mind have a wiff of studio interface.

If it can get past its birthing pains we can hope it grows up into a tall redhead wolfboy who is good with dice and is somehow also an improbably good looking badass lady.

Mod edit: spoiler tags added

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2021

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've pushed myself through the first few episodes of the show and for someone unfamiliar with the placenames and lore and such they're doing a very bad job of making me care about any of it. Also if amazon had any brains at all they'd make the first book free right now to get people hooked on the rest.

IDK why I never picked this series up I read a lot of adjacent stuff like Eddings and Dragonlance and such. I'll be honest the show is not doing a good job making me want try it out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I've pushed myself through the first few episodes of the show and for someone unfamiliar with the placenames and lore and such they're doing a very bad job of making me care about any of it. Also if amazon had any brains at all they'd make the first book free right now to get people hooked on the rest.

IDK why I never picked this series up I read a lot of adjacent stuff like Eddings and Dragonlance and such. I'll be honest the show is not doing a good job making me want try it out.

TV show thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3974396

This thread is very much focused on new readers.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Got to the coup in book 4 and I had to put it down for a couple of days.

10,000 gallons of bullshit. Wtf.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Collateral posted:

Got to the coup in book 4 and I had to put it down for a couple of days.

10,000 gallons of bullshit. Wtf.

Elaida loving suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's not that, it goes without saying.

It's this thing in the books where the baddies can just point at protagonist and shout darkfriend, and everybody just nods. It's a clumsy narrative device that is seriously starting to piss me off. I can only assume that at the final battle the dark Lord standing burning at the head of an army of trollocs and other dark things points at the Dragon and calls him a dark friend, then the Dragon's army "Wow its true, why didn't we see that before."

It's galling tbh.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Collateral posted:

It's this thing in the books where the baddies can just point at protagonist and shout darkfriend, and everybody just nods. It's a clumsy narrative device that is seriously starting to piss me off. I can only assume that at the final battle the dark Lord standing burning at the head of an army of trollocs and other dark things points at the Dragon and calls him a dark friend, then the Dragon's army "Wow its true, why didn't we see that before."

It's galling tbh.

I get where you're coming from but in a world where millions of Americans supported Trump it doesn't feel unrealistic to me. And we don't live in a world where Darkfriends and (book 3 spoiler)the Black Ajah are always working behind the scenes to screw over the good guys

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Collateral posted:

It's this thing in the books where the baddies can just point at protagonist and shout darkfriend, and everybody just nods. It's a clumsy narrative device that is seriously starting to piss me off.

Its a deliberate plot device rooted in medieval/dark ages Europe. If someone was accused of being a witch or a heretic in those times people did exactly that, nodded and moved on because defending such a person greatly reduced life expectancy. RJ is critiquing human nature in that respect.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I started re-reading the series from New Spring a couple months ago, and finished the series for the first time a couple days ago. Overall, I feel like Sanderson does a credible job with the series. Book 12 is hard, he's still finding the voice of a lot of the characters. Book 13 is quite good, and book 14 came in just below that for me. I know Jordan was priming for the ending, but even if he had managed to write one more book than he did, it's possible we still could have seen a Sanderson finale trilogy, just based on all the poo poo that would still need to be cleaned up/brought to a conclusion

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Andoman posted:

Its a deliberate plot device rooted in medieval/dark ages Europe. If someone was accused of being a witch or a heretic in those times people did exactly that, nodded and moved on because defending such a person greatly reduced life expectancy. RJ is critiquing human nature in that respect.

in pop culture it's a medieval thing, but it mostly happened during the early modern period

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If you had a bad faith actor accusing people of witchery, they would face the consequences of angry relatives, and not-stupid neighbours who don't want to be next, or just told to stfu. Darkfriends are continuously accusing people of being Darkfriends and everybody just accepts that it is true. If* a protagonist accuses an actual Darkfriend (who has just been caught standing on a pile of babies bodies, writing "I love the Dark Lord!" in their blood) of being a Darkfriend, somebody will ask for evidence, saying they are doubtful.

Wheel of Time isn't the only offender of overusing the Antagonist Distortion Field of course, but it is what we are discussing. :)

A majority of Aes Sedai totally trashing 3000 years of custom and tradition, wading through the blood of their sisters, and stilling some without a trial, on the basis of Elaida's say so. That is one powerfully persuasive lady.

*I'm only on book 4 and it may well happen that I am wrong.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Collateral posted:

It's galling tbh.

Really responding to this would involve lots of spoilers, but I don't think it's a spoiler to say (spoiling it anyhow because there are earlier book people here) that the primary groups that abuse this tactic, the whitecloaks, and kinda Elaida's faction, don't get away with this scott free. As the actual impacts from the dark one's prison weakening hit the world, people don't have time for this obvious bullshit.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

in pop culture it's a medieval thing, but it mostly happened during the early modern period

Which is actually a better time period comparison for The Wheel of Time than medieval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vavrek posted:

Which is actually a better time period comparison for The Wheel of Time than medieval.

yeah