Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I really enjoyed the chapters where Rand vision walks through the history of the Aiel. Such strong worldbulding with just snippets of moments. Every section was a tragedy, but so pivotal historically. It is really neat to see things weaved together. Such as the Aiel and Tinkers sharing a common connection.
I don't think it's an exaggeration at all to say that those chapters are maybe the best fantasy fiction ever written. They're so good, and so crushingly sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah the aiel are good. You think they are fremen at first but he goes and makes them unique

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

euphronius posted:

Yeah the aiel are good. You think they are fremen at first but he goes and makes them unique

Basically answers the question of 'what if the fremen were more fleshed out and super funny?'

Knife of Dreams, chapter 20 "The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don" :vince:

Absolutely insane how much better this book is than the previous four.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crossroads of Twilight is killing me. I think this may be the end

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

euphronius posted:

I have 100 pages left. It’s been my least favorite since maybe Eye, but mostly the dead middle of it. I enjoyed the beginning and it gets more interesting once they get off the Elayne and Faile chapters.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Power through, dudes. It’s absolutely worth it. Prologue of Knife of Dreams immediately sets a new tone.

Glad I powered through, but I don’t think I’d have missed much if I had just read the synopsis of 9 and 10 on Library at Tar Valon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

You are allowed to . . . .skim

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

euphronius posted:

Seriously, read a summary and move on to the much better Knife of Dreams. You're almost finished with the slog.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Finished CoT last night and man even the ending is kind of a letdown. Just a limp chase so Mat can allow a soldier to shoot a fleeing prisoner and Egwene getting captured. No cool showdown, no great battle, nothing. Glad to be through it.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Finished CoT last night and man even the ending is kind of a letdown. Just a limp chase so Mat can allow a soldier to shoot a fleeing prisoner and Egwene getting captured. No cool showdown, no great battle, nothing. Glad to be through it.

Yeah, a little more oomph on those last two plot points could have salvaged it a little. Just ends on a big nothing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

100 pages into Knife of Dreams, and already more has happened than in the entirety of Crossroads of Twilight. we’re back, baby.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Sanderson is not loving around, and I'm here for it. Everything in the first third of The Gathering Storm has been (re)stating their purpose going forward and/or moving the plot along. The prose is not as interesting and a little inconsistent from the previous books, but not to the point of it being

Just finished chapter 16, and wow Egwene rules now. Her telling Eliada what time it is was an all-time WoT moment.. She might be my favorite character at this point.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Pretty cruel of Jordan to give me like 250 pages of good poo poo in Knife of Dreams to start off and then slap 100 pages of Elayne’s frustrations at court before I can get back to the good stuff, imo

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

81sidewinder posted:

Sanderson is not loving around, and I'm here for it. Everything in the first third of The Gathering Storm has been (re)stating their purpose going forward and/or moving the plot along. The prose is not as interesting and a little inconsistent from the previous books, but not to the point of it being

Just finished chapter 16, and wow Egwene rules now. Her telling Eliada what time it is was an all-time WoT moment.. She might be my favorite character at this point.

The vast majority of Egwene sequences in TGS were either directly written by Jordan or mostly written by Jordan. They absolutely own bones.

The Rand sequences were all mapped out but less of them were totally Jordan, Sanderson worked on those more.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Pretty cruel of Jordan to give me like 250 pages of good poo poo in Knife of Dreams to start off and then slap 100 pages of Elayne’s frustrations at court before I can get back to the good stuff, imo

KoD is an improvement, but still has a LOT of Elayne

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

81sidewinder posted:

Knife of Dreams, chapter 20 "The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don" :vince:

Absolutely insane how much better this book is than the previous four.

The best chapter in the series other than the Rhuidean time gates imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I skipped the rest of crossroads

knife of dreams is amazing so far. Thanks for recommending

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

81sidewinder posted:

I'm through chapter 46 now, and this was taken to another level. Maybe because I just read it, but this is probably my new favorite part of the story. Verin's last words, the siege at the tower, Bryne and Siuan finally take the next step, Gawyn shows up but he's just kind of there - it all rules so much. Then, we get to the chapter of raising her to Amyrlin for everyone -just a nuts run of putting the story all together

The Aes Sedai cheering for her at the end after she addresses the reunited tower, hoo baby what a payoff :thurman:

Curious to see how Elaida fares with the Seanchan

Absolutely insane that there are still five chapters left. Obviously needs to be something big to follow all of this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It really is such an exceptional series of bangers and payoffs many many books in the making for those plotlines, it's so much fun.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

What is the general consensus on Sanderson? I'm 2/3 through Towers of Midnight and I've been really impressed.

The way we have the Perrin and Egwene plots run parallel and touch up to each other was extremely cool

He's not perfect on knowing the correct tone for all characters (Mat), but I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

81sidewinder posted:

What is the general consensus on Sanderson? I'm 2/3 through Towers of Midnight and I've been really impressed.

The way we have the Perrin and Egwene plots run parallel and touch up to each other was extremely cool

He's not perfect on knowing the correct tone for all characters (Mat), but I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

I think overall people really appreciate that he picked things up and held himself to be as true to Jordan as he could be, including increasing the book count. He's not Jordan, but he was pretty much the next best author to finish the series.

I wish he had done even more, but totally understand that he didn't because there weren't notes for it, and he didn't want to invent things whole cloth in someone else's series.

I liked his WoT books so much I've moved on to reading the Cosmere and have been enjoying the ride quite a lot.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah I just got to the first Mat chapter in the first Sanderson book and it reads wayyyy more quippy than anything before it. I don’t know the split about how much Jordan had written for these books, but that was the first chapter that felt off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Different people have different takes. For me he's basically Well Meaning Step-dad. I give him credit for doing as well as he did, but he's not "real."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Overall: Excellent finish to the series.

He has a different way of describing and writing everything in comparison to Jordan, so it is a noticeable switch. The main complaint is that he missed the voice on Mat in his first book. Some of the roughest parts in the books were apparently based on drafts that Jordan had written but not revised and that subsequently weren't revised enough. Some people complain about Sanderson leaning a bit too much into "creative" uses of the One Power, but Jordan did some of that in previous books as well - Sanderson just leaned into it a bit more.

A really excellent breakdown of the Mat "voice" and how Sanderson missed it in his first book is in the Neuxue first time reader blog about chapter 20 of The Gathering Storm. Obviously spoilers there.

Verdict: Probably the best possible author to finish the series. The other author (very briefly) considered for finishing the series was George RR Martin. Bullet dodged there.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 27, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Hahah they’d still be waiting for him to wrap up The Gathering Storm if GRRM got it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I was happy Sanderson took over because we could be sure he was going to keep poo poo moving along and draw things to a close in the most satisfying way he could.

I honestly don't think Jordan could have finished the series in as many books with as brisk a pacing.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah I just got to the first Mat chapter in the first Sanderson book and it reads wayyyy more quippy than anything before it. I don’t know the split about how much Jordan had written for these books, but that was the first chapter that felt off.

This is the most egregious chapter, and without it I don't know how much it would have been on my mind

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Different people have different takes. For me he's basically Well Meaning Step-dad. I give him credit for doing as well as he did, but he's not "real."

Great analogy because it works on a few levels. You pick stepdad apart because he's not dad, and dad can get away with much less effort because he's dad.

dwarf74 posted:

I was happy Sanderson took over because we could be sure he was going to keep poo poo moving along and draw things to a close in the most satisfying way he could.

I honestly don't think Jordan could have finished the series in as many books with as brisk a pacing.

Yeah, we're probably waiting for book 20 right now if RJ didn't have his illness.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

When I got to the "making up elaborate backstories that will obviously be utterly unimportant" part in my reread I felt like I was straight-up reading a Brooklyn-Nine-Nine script. It was funny, just so out of place.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

dwarf74 posted:

IDK about this. I think it would have been 2-3 books tops. He was aiming for one 2,000 page book, but it likely would have been split into two.

I don't think Jordan would have had the last battle sequence be quite as long, that was entirely a Sanderson thing. He did the one extra long chapter (9 hours in the audiobooks) to make the reader feel the characters exhaustion, which is a cool idea tbh. With AKoD starting to knock the dominos over it was all clearly coming to a close.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Got to the part in The Gathering Storm where Rand nukes the palace where Graendel's hiding out. I'm interested to see how this whole business with the Seanchan pans out after they attack Tar Valon. They're picking a fight they know is gonna piss him off, and he has the strength to literally just toss their entire conquested region back into the ocean. I'm guessing they'll succeed in loving up the Tower, which pushes the Aes Sedai to come together, and rather than a big fight resulting from that, Rand actually does just vaporize a large percentage of Seanchan and they break towards him. Still not sure how the prophecy of him bowing to Tuon/Fortuona plays out, because he's written way too strong to lose whatever fights coming with them.

Also guessing about The Towers of Midnight that one of the towers is Ghenjei where Thom, Mat and Noal go in and rescue Morraine, who rejoins Rand and brings him back from the brink of his inhumanity. Very ready for her to re-enter the story, see where everything has gone since she disappeared and be like WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK.

Also feel better about these obvious Sanderson chapters with Mat after that first one that was off-key. They feel a lot closer to the older stuff now.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Finished Towers of Midnight - this had it's moments and I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't on that insane level that Gathering Storm hit at times for me.

Mat and Perrin got their big payoffs. Very cool moments, but it just wasn't the same blockbuster moment that Elayne got in the previous book.

Very interested to see how all these different storylines converge - that seems to be one of Sanderson's strengths the way that he blended Egwene's nightmare about being collared again wiht Perrin's wolf dream hunt - probably my favorite moment in this book

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

A Memory of Light, Chapter 26 The Egwene and Fortuona showdown, hoo baby. Egwene saying 'bitch, I will put you in the ground' had me cheering, haha She remains my favorite character by a mile.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Egwene is an absolute raging badass for the last few books.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I was digging through some of my dad's books and found "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan & Teresa Patterson that I didn't know he had

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It doesn’t make everyone invisible, or invisible in the same way. Even Frodo can be seen by some others while wearing it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

It doesn’t make everyone invisible, or invisible in the same way. Even Frodo can be seen by some others while wearing it

Wrong thread, nerd! :p

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Amazon-produced crossover special where it's revealed that Tolkien's Middle-Earth is actually just Earth, in an age long past / yet to come...

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

A Memory of Light, Chapter 36 About to start The Last Battle, wish me luck

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Make sure you have a ready source of caffeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Finished the book - listened to the epilogue on the commute to work this morning. I have some thoughts, haha.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Egwene is an absolute raging badass for the last few books.

She was my favorite part of the story, and I don't think it's close. The Flame of Tar Valon at the end :vince:

Racing Stripe had a solid post when they finished, so I'll jump off of some of that

Racing Stripe posted:

Altogether, I had a great time. I have a lot of specific complaints about the books, but I really loved living in the world, knowing the characters, and getting amped for their triumphs. The length of the series, and the attendant time commitment to get through it all, leads the reader to put so much of themselves into the story that it becomes pretty personally affecting. I'm sure I've felt that before, maybe with ASoIaF, but I was never as aware of it as I was with this series. I definitely have some sense of loss now that it's all over.

This was a good ending. Landing this plane was always going to be extremely tricky, but I've felt through all three of the last books that Sanderson was doing a really good job with concluding things. The same is true here.

Absolutely - super fun ending, and Sanderson did an excellent job on the whole

Racing Stripe posted:

It was pretty shocking when important characters started actually dying. I think Siuan was the first one, and it more or less said "she's dead" which was kind of hard to believe. After 13 books of nobody important ever dying, it was wild to see the gloves really come off. I think it was necessary for us to see real consequences and real deaths, but I'm sad that Egwene had to be one of them. She was my favorite character, and it's too bad that the Tower won't benefit from her incredible leadership for the next several centuries. She also never got to see her parents again after she left the Two Rivers.

Egwene actually being more of a main character Hugely improved the story, she went out like an absolute boss. Died like an absolute boss - the real main character of the story, imo

Racing Stripe posted:

Demandred really came out of nowhere. I remember his name but nothing else from previous books; maybe he was present in some of those meetings of the Forsaken, but we never saw him doing anything (IIRC) until he shows up as 1.) the best general of all time, 2.) the best swordsman of all time, and 3.) in possession of a sa'angreal that makes him even more powerful than Rand. It worked, but it was very much like the biggest baddest final boss showing up at the end of the videogame. It would have made more sense to me for that to be Moridin, who in the end didn't really do jack poo poo. I know he was important as a way for them to use callandor to reimprison the dark one, but it's hard not to think that the dark one made the wrong pick for nae'blis.

The Foresaken were a missed opportunity. Too many of them, too many names, too little sense of who they were and what they wanted. Demmandred was an absolute badass in AMoL, but I wish we'd have built to that moment more. Lanfear's turn to 'help' Perrin was way too short as well. The false dragons and the foresaken should have been like 5-6 characters, not 15.

Racing Stripe posted:

This might seem crazy to say, but I think it should have been longer. After 500 (?) pages of battle (I don't know, I read on Kindle) the denouement felt rushed. I wanted a little bit more of a look at what the characters were going to be doing for the rest of their lives. This is also me just not wanting it to be over, but it felt like after the battle was won, we got a two-page check-in with all of our favorites and that was it.

This is not crazy at all - the epilogue alone could have been 100 more pages.

Racing Stripe posted:

Also, what are we to understand about Rand's body switch? He carried Moridin out of the cave and did a Mirror Mists on the both of them, and either talked to his girlfriends about it or they could tell because of the bond, and Alivia was in on it too somehow? That's all fine, but Nynaeve spent days trying to heal him without detecting the subterfuge?

This needed to be eliminated or fleshed out. Way too short as it was. The body switching was kind of explained, but the riding into the sunset just felt super odd considering how the previous 2000 pages of the story went. Also, we never really got an actual reason why Rand needed three women in his life, but then he walks off wearing a mask hiding from all three? IDGI. Just leaving him dead would have made more sense to me here.

Racing Stripe posted:

Who killed Asmodean?

Yeah, this sucked. Should have been a huge payoff, but I had to google what happened - the info was presented in such a subtle way and it was clearly a re-write from RJ's original idea. The way that Logain, Taim and Rand never really had a major scene together is a drag. I also read that RJ wanted Demandred to be Taim, but he changed it becasue the fandom guessed it. That would have been a huge moment and added a little more spice to the last battle.

Ultimately, Sanderson did an outstanding job converging the ideas RJ had presented but there were just too many characters to pay off all of them

Very satisfied with the series as a whole, but I actually hate the slog even more after finishing now because there are so many things I wish were spent more time on. The Black Tower drama (and a bunch of other extremely cool things) going on basically offscreen while we spent time with Elyane in the bath and Mat getting sexually assaulted is my biggest gripe.

A- final grade for me on first read. Already planning on which arcs I'm going to read again.