Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
40% into book 2 or so: I'm glad Salene is so obviously telegraphed so far. Not trying to be sly with the reader and assuming you're somewhat intelligent and enough to laugh at how dense Rand is about an obvious trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I got sidetracked by an Expanse re read and the new novel, bur I just finished the chapter before Leavetaking in Book 1, and wow was Moraine's story and what she meant by "weep for what is lost forever" much more powerful here, but there was really no way to make that work in the show without spending a couple more episodes in the Two Rivers. Excited to get back to reading this.

I also like how it shows that they don't even know why it's called Emond's field, or even that that's not the right name.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Nail Rat posted:

I also like how it shows that they don't even know why it's called Emond's field, or even that that's not the right name.

I bet there are loads on real world examples of place names that have altered slightly over time that have an epic history behind them - might do some digging when I have some spare time

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Andoman posted:

I bet there are loads on real world examples of place names that have altered slightly over time that have an epic history behind them - might do some digging when I have some spare time

poo poo nobody even knows why Newport News is named the way it is, and that's only 400 years ago.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
There are a few names in the books taken from the Hen Ogledd. A place whose history is all but forgotten except through legend, it's language is only traceable through place-names.

We know more about the Romans that preceded them.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

When I finished reading the series on Thanksgiving, I went and checked out one of the WoT wikis where I no longer had to worry about spoilers. While there, I learned that Robert Jordan had a calendar system developed, and Thanksgiving this year actually fell on Rand's birthday! A strange bit of coincidence that the story should conclude for me then

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
A short ways into book 3: I'm glad I was right about Selene being a villain, but I'm also glad that just like her true identity it is telegraphed that she is batting for her own agenda rather than the big bad

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Book 5 is a slog. It does, at least, have the king of hats, a fez.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Finished book 3: So books 1&2 ended with reasons to split the cast up, and then each time they have adventures getting back to one another for the finale. This time it felt like they finally all got back together right at the end and then didn't really get to do anything. The trio got captured, twice, and saved, twice, and yet didn't seem to get to spoil the trap or whatever they thought they were trying to accomplish. Mat's entire trip then saves them from their decisions that didn't seem to be plot relevant except for getting them in the same place. I hope they get more agency going forward but I'm glad they're kinda growing up while they power up. Maybe some more about what they did during the Rand part gets explained at the start of book. Same with moraine and Lan sneaking in. Seems like there were some missing scenes. I'm glad at least Moraine's "if I can get close without him noticing" plan way played straight for a clean kill.

As for their new power [Spoiler]I'm thinking balefire is something like "kill you across all timelines" or "erase you from wheel reincarnation" sort of magical nuke? The vibe I was getting. Seems early to introduce it of that were the case. I was expecting Egwane to do something like torch something in a dream to torch it in reality using it.

Onto book 4, and if they immediately split up again I'm going to get suspicious

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

M_Gargantua posted:

Finished book 3: [...]

As for their new power I'm thinking balefire is something like "kill you across all timelines" or "erase you from wheel reincarnation" sort of magical nuke? The vibe I was getting. Seems early to introduce it of that were the case. I was expecting Egwane to do something like torch something in a dream to torch it in reality using it.

It does read like that but according to the author, no, people who get balefired will get reincarnated at some point. The main advantages of balefire are a) kills anything, b) immediately, (maybe spoilers for beyond book 3 can't remember) c) kills you backwards in time, undoing any effects you had on other things after a certain point, and d) prevents the Dark One specifically from catching and rezzing the soul before it loses its memories or w/e.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

(maybe spoilers for beyond book 3 can't remember) c) kills you backwards in time, undoing any effects you had on other things after a certain point, and d) prevents the Dark One specifically from catching and rezzing the soul before it loses its memories or w/e.

Working from memory, that's something like a book five or six spoiler. (There's two points behind the spoiler tag. One is explained in-book over the course of book 5, the other is ... sort of alluded to in book six, maybe not made clear immediately? I forget.)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

M_Gargantua posted:

Finished book 3: So books 1&2 ended with reasons to split the cast up, and then each time they have adventures getting back to one another for the finale. This time it felt like they finally all got back together right at the end and then didn't really get to do anything. The trio got captured, twice, and saved, twice, and yet didn't seem to get to spoil the trap or whatever they thought they were trying to accomplish. Mat's entire trip then saves them from their decisions that didn't seem to be plot relevant except for getting them in the same place. I hope they get more agency going forward but I'm glad they're kinda growing up while they power up. Maybe some more about what they did during the Rand part gets explained at the start of book. Same with moraine and Lan sneaking in. Seems like there were some missing scenes. I'm glad at least Moraine's "if I can get close without him noticing" plan way played straight for a clean kill.

As for their new power [Spoiler]I'm thinking balefire is something like "kill you across all timelines" or "erase you from wheel reincarnation" sort of magical nuke? The vibe I was getting. Seems early to introduce it of that were the case. I was expecting Egwane to do something like torch something in a dream to torch it in reality using it.

Onto book 4, and if they immediately split up again I'm going to get suspicious
Book 3 is the last book that follows the “split everyone up and have them meet up by the end of the book” structure.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just got past the first Shadar Logoth chapter (I read fast but don't often get time to read). Mat really is Pippin isn't he.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nail Rat posted:

Just got past the first Shadar Logoth chapter (I read fast but don't often get time to read). Mat really is Pippin isn't he.

The Mat and Perrin = Merry and Pippin allusions are super strong in the first book yeah

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Rarity posted:

The Mat and Perrin = Merry and Pippin allusions are super strong in the first book yeah

There is a (acknowledged by RJ) LoTR feel to parts of book one, especially early on. It doesn't last though which is a good thing overall

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Obviously it's too late for me to read it before Eye of the World, but is it better to read New Spring earlier on, or after the rest of the series?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nail Rat posted:

Obviously it's too late for me to read it before Eye of the World, but is it better to read New Spring earlier on, or after the rest of the series?

You can fit it in any time after book 5

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

There is a LOT of it which is a bunch of *NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK* WE ALL KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING, DON'T WE LADS, which is probably lost on new readers

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nail Rat posted:

It was written and released between books ten and eleven, so that's where I include it on the reading list. One recommendation from the main book thread that I quite liked was: read New Spring whenever the idea of reading about Moiraine and Lan sounds more interesting than reading about whichever characters are the focus of the book you're on. Another idea I heard was: just skip New Spring if it's your first time through the series, but then read it before The Eye of the World when/if you do a reread of the series.

Reading it anywhere in the second half of the series is fine. The normal guideline is "anywhere after book five", but I think you want to put it off to after book seven to avoid even minor spoilers. I've seen some suggest just anywhere after book three. As mentioned, I personally note it down as Book 10.5.

Nail Rat posted:

Andoman posted:

There is a (acknowledged by RJ) LoTR feel to parts of book one, especially early on. It doesn't last though which is a good thing overall
It's kind of a weird thing. The Wheel of Time feels a lot like the Lord of the Rings films to me. At least, closer to the films than to the books.

Also, book one spoilers: Pippin was never a ringbearer, which is my LotR-analogy for what carrying that dagger around does to Mat.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nail Rat posted:

After book 5 at earliest, but I recommend publication order

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Glumslinger posted:

I actually prefer it right after book five for thematic purposes, but anytime after five should work.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Now halfway through book four I suspect all the Aiel and Rand are eventually going to find out that most of their prophecy revolves around reuniting the Jenn Aiel/Tinkers and not just the tribes of the wastes.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

The Glumslinger posted:

I absolutely agree with this - it does kind of contain spoilers for the earlier parts of the series so I would strongly advise against reading it before at least book 5 but even later is better.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

really for any series with prequels etc, I'd just go for publication order on a first readthrough

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Loving Mat channeling his inner Sharpe in book 5.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I’ve started the series a few times. Maybe in the early 2000s I got 100 pages or so into Eye of the World before giving up. It felt too much like a beat for beat LOTR ripoff (which it is).

Maybe 2016 or 2017 I got about halfway into book four before I petered out. There were parts I really loved but overall I got bored with it.

Now that I’m 50% into book 1 again I’m enjoying it. We’ll see how far I get this time! Apparently I cannot quit these damned books.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Totally Huge posted:

I’ve started the series a few times. Maybe in the early 2000s I got 100 pages or so into Eye of the World before giving up. It felt too much like a beat for beat LOTR ripoff (which it is).

Maybe 2016 or 2017 I got about halfway into book four before I petered out. There were parts I really loved but overall I got bored with it.

Now that I’m 50% into book 1 again I’m enjoying it. We’ll see how far I get this time! Apparently I cannot quit these damned books.

That was my experience. I've had 3 go-arounds since I was 8. I also stopped at book 4 or 5 tries 1 and 2. Don't ask me why I still played the poo poo out of the WoT MUD despite this :shrug:

Now I'm at book 13 after starting a year ago. Something clicked once I got to 4 and I really loved it. Hopefully this time is the charm for you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Totally Huge posted:

If it helps, one reason Jordan is setting up the standard tropes (chosen one, Gandalf.comes to village, etc) is so that he can tear them down and subvert them.Chosen one is a bad guy maybe? Gandalf is female and maybe also kinda bad?

For the 1990s at least those were big twists! And it gets better from there.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 11, 2021

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If it helps, one reason Jordan is setting up the standard tropes (chosen one, Gandalf.comes to village, etc) is so that he can tear them down and subvert them.Chosen one is a bad guy maybe? Gandalf is female and maybe also kinda bad?

For the 1990s at least those were big twists! And it gets better from there.

Yeah after my last attempt I read up a bit on the series and have been following the TV forum thread and there are certain things like what you stated that I've learned that got me to make the plunge again. Before this read I did not pick up on things like John Glen flying to the moon in the belly of an eagle and other hints that this is our world and their legends are from our times, etc. The overgrown cityscape in an early episode of the show really adds to that and is probably what convinced me to start reading again. I love that kind of stuff - like the Book of the New sun far far future thing. I think the world building aspects I've learned about combined with the show will keep me interested.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be very clear, those are just fun little references - things the reader will actually understand and be amused by if they recognize it, rather unique references the reader would have absolutely no context for. The world of Wheel of Time is post-apocalyptic, but it's not post-apocalyptic Earth.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

To be very clear, those are just fun little references - things the reader will actually understand and be amused by if they recognize it, rather unique references the reader would have absolutely no context for. The world of Wheel of Time is post-apocalyptic, but it's not post-apocalyptic Earth.

Except it is. Like, the apocalypse has happened a few times, but it's still Earth. Hence all the references to Earth history. It doesn't actually matter in the story though since the only stuff we actually see with any sort of mattering is only the Age of Legends, and the current day is before even that. Book 1 spoilers, at most, I think.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 13, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Please remember to tag your spoilers with where they're from. For example I just finished book 4 and still have to go back and read a few responses to my posts that were helpfully tagged as book 5/6

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Please remember to tag your spoilers with where they're from. For example I just finished book 4 and still have to go back and read a few responses to my posts that were helpfully tagged as book 5/6

I clarified that it isn't later spoilers, so I hope that helps.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lord Koth posted:

Book 1 It is explicitly Earth, many of Thom's stories,/legends of long ago are references to our time, such as Merk and Mosk (America and Moscow), two giants whose fight nearly destroys the world.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's also (book 4)the Mercedes symbol in the Panarch's palace

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

Book 1 It is explicitly Earth, many of Thom's stories,/legends of long ago are references to our time, such as Merk and Mosk (America and Moscow), two giants whose fight nearly destroys the world.

And Materese the Healer, of the Wondrous People of Ind lol

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sadly no talk of Elo the Bullshitting Prankster of the Imaginary Money, before RJ's time sadly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Andoman posted:

Beeston, in Nottinghamshire is like that. There's bees on the coat of arms, statues of the Beeman of Beeston, and no historical li ks to actual beekeeping whatsoever. The name comes from the old English for bent grass.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hmm yeah I live in the western marches of England we have place names in a forgotten language (Cumbric, same family as Welsh and Cornish), Danish place names, Anglo-Saxon (including the oldest AS cross) place names as well as others. The city I live in has had many names, one of the oldest comes from the Brythonic, Place of Lugu (the actual word itself I don't know, the settlement is at the join of 3 rivers and has been settled since the dawn of man), that Romans latinised to Luguvallium. The heroic kingdom (Rheged) of kings Urien, Owain and Coel, changed the name, it could well have been the site of Loríen, but the only records of Rheged are from the chronicals of Yr Hen Oggled (The old North) and Gwŷr y Gogledd (Men of the Old North), by some guy called Taleisin, and another book by a guy called Cuthbert, and they aren't great with were places were, except battles :black101:

Eventually the City became known as the Fort (Caer) on the hill (liol?) Its now called Carlisle.

There is village round here call Torpenhow. Which directly translates from 3 different languages as hillhillhill.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Collateral posted:

Hmm yeah I live in the western marches of England we have place names in a forgotten language (Cumbric, same family as Welsh and Cornish), Danish place names, Anglo-Saxon (including the oldest AS cross) place names as well as others. The city I live in has had many names, one of the oldest comes from the Brythonic, Place of Lugu (the actual word itself I don't know, the settlement is at the join of 3 rivers and has been settled since the dawn of man), that Romans latinised to Luguvallium. The heroic kingdom (Rheged) of kings Urien, Owain and Coel, changed the name, it could well have been the site of Loríen, but the only records of Rheged are from the chronicals of Yr Hen Oggled (The old North) and Gwŷr y Gogledd (Men of the Old North), by some guy called Taleisin, and another book by a guy called Cuthbert, and they aren't great with were places were, except battles :black101:

Eventually the City became known as the Fort (Caer) on the hill (liol?) Its now called Carlisle.

There is village round here call Torpenhow. Which directly translates from 3 different languages as hillhillhill.

What I'm getting is that the people of the British Isles are very good at identifying what are and are not hills