Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played cultist simulator for the first time last night, knowing very little about it, it’s cool but...

Idk, after three runs that failed early on as i flailed around trying to understand what was going on, i got to the point in my fourth run where I was extremely comfortable in terms of resources, and couldn’t figure out how to progress. I kept sending my guys off to explore and recruit more guys, but I kept getting the same events, with no new discoveries for about an hour, just going through the motions as everything mostly took care of itself, not worrying about any of the game-ending mechanics, as they seemed to resolve themselves on their own with little need for me to step in

Probably, definitely missing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished Knights and Bikes to finish my october, right as it got pulled from gamepass. boy did i not like the ending!!! i mean i knew where it was going but i kept hoping it wouldn't drop that shoe because it's a less interesting story with the 'twist'

first month with double digit games beaten since july :X i've been very busy

first order of business for november is playing vomitoreum, the one game i couldn't get to this weekend. then i bought some games in the steam sale: ynglet, dum-dum, ocean's heart, dark fall ghost vigil, and pixel puzzle makeout league. so i'll have those on the list for the month. and i'll be getting the poirot game from gamefly in a few days to play

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

SMT I SMT II SMT III SMT If... Persona 1

Rarity posted:

FF9 five times, the goal would be to make sure he plays the best video game of all time

cheetah7071 posted:

Final Fantasy VIII
Atelier Ayesha
Valkyrie Profile 2
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Pokemon Moon

fridge corn posted:

Chrono Trigger
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Wild Arms 3
Final Fantasy 10*

*I dont particularly like FF10 much but I think veeg would

OK! Some interesting names on here. Heard of a couple. For the games recommended where they are a 2 or a 3 with none previous (Valkyrie Profile 2 and Wild Arms 3), are they like Final Fantasy in that you can join in whenever?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SMTII is a direct sequel to I so that's a no go, If... is a spinoff but is a real motherfucker so play that last. Nocturne, Soul Hackers, and Persona 1 can be played whenever

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Relax Or DIE posted:

Rarity's list implies you should play star oceans after 3, and therefore cannot be trusted.

Thread question: aside from what he's already played/playing if you had to give VG a JRPG reading list limited to 5 games what do you pick? The goal of your list is up to you.

In no particular order...

Persona (any of 3, 4, or 5. But i'd probably recommend 5 for an easier time.)
Earthbound
Shadow Hearts
Parasite Eve
Star Ocean 2

Also, my memory of Star Ocean 3 is that it's still a pretty fun time on lower difficulties, it's just that the plot goes to places that ruin the entire franchise. So if you do end up liking the characters and story of Star Ocean 2, uh...tread lightly.

VideoGames posted:

OK! Some interesting names on here. Heard of a couple. For the games recommended where they are a 2 or a 3 with none previous (Valkyrie Profile 2 and Wild Arms 3), are they like Final Fantasy in that you can join in whenever?

For Star Ocean's part, kind of. The games take place in a persistent universe, but there aren't that many references from game to game (of the games i've played, anyways).

e: kind of the same thing for Persona. In Persona's case there are references to previous games (and story beats that are seen differently depending on if you've played other games or not) but they aren't like, required reading to jump into the franchise.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 1, 2021

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Serious, Is nov the shittiest month? It's cold enough to mean you gotta wear a real jacket, but no snow. No good holidays, nothing good coming out. Just absolute poo poo filler month, I recommend everyone skip this season and move on to December

Actually November is when the weather starts getting really warm, if you live in the superior hemisphere

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

first

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, wild arms is like final fantasy in that they are each self contained stories linked by a common setting/theme/aesthetic. Wild Arms 3 is the best one, has an amazing soundtrack and is a fairly good representative on ps2 era jrpgs imo despite being by far the weakest entry on my list. Plus it's on psn!

Suikoden 1 and 2 are more or less direct sequels and should be treated as such

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

gently caress now I’m remembering renting Mystic Quest as a child and never finishing it. This thread is cursed but I’ll :justpost: through it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't like JRPGs for the most part but Mario and the Thousand Year Door was great

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Inject the JRPGs into my veins.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A Sometimes Food posted:

Inject the JRPGs into my veins.

Be careful you may turn into an anime

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lavatein posted:

I finished up Yakuza 3 Remakestered with all the trophies.

Checking online, people seem to be in broad agreement that it's the hardest one to plat, which I am thankful to hear because some of those minigames are rough to say the least. It suffers from being played after Kiwami 2 where the minigame staples had been iterated upon many times over already. Gonna have to wait half a year or so before tackling 4 to prevent burnout.

I have all the Yakuza platinums except for the Japan only ones/Judgement (which isn't really harder than the others, some parts of it like developing all the drone parts seemed like a grind I wasn't in the mood for at the time) 3/4/5/Dead Souls all have pretty rough ones compared to the rest of the series but I think 5 took me the longest, I had like 125 hours on my file by the time I got it

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Propaganda Hour posted:

Endwalker better be good God. Damnit.

Believe in YoshiP

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

Thread question: aside from what he's already played/playing if you had to give VG a JRPG reading list limited to 5 games what do you pick? The goal of your list is up to you.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (I'm cheating, these are three games)
Chrono Trigger
Suikoden 2
Atelier Ayesha

mustn't forget all those JRPG-adjacent games like the Ys series or Dragon Quest Builders 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Actually November is when the weather starts getting really warm, if you live in the superior hemisphere

Yeah I'm gonna trust someone who has to post upside down lol

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Rarity posted:

Be careful you may turn into an anime

I'll take two.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Endwalker better be good God. Damnit.

The prerendered trailer was pretty sick so it must be good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

stev posted:

The prerendered trailer was pretty sick so it must be good.

Always a sign of quality

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feliday Melody posted:

I'll take two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZiaXEIQgkE

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is there a Halo thread?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
For it's 20 year anniversary they are gonna release Skyrim again on the 11th

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
was the final fantasy X remake any good?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

queef anxiety posted:

no, it's a remake

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sponges posted:

Is there a Halo thread?

Halo Infinite: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977505

Halo: The Master Chief Collection: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904234

Found using: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952822

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

queef anxiety posted:

It's FFX so yes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Baller Time posted:

For it's 20 year anniversary they are gonna release Skyrim again on the 11th

There is a board game version launching in a day on Gamefound
https://gamefound.com/projects/draft/zx6js610y7lvnlnav6qbisnxqqy?ref=shelfclutter#/

It looks pretty bland and it's super expensive because Brand

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbOy8GpuKA4

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

VideoGames posted:

November is my birthday month so it is very special to me.

Also if I get into FFVII proper as well then I AM going to try to go through a few of the games on the list of jRPGs that Rarity sent me. It was a lot. No idea if I can ever get through all of them. The conversation went something like this:

VG: Please! Some recommendations!!
Rarity: Are you sure you want to open this forbidden door?
VG: I am sure.
Rarity: I warned you.
Rarity: deep breath
Rarity: all the final fantasies from 4 onwards except 13, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Dragon Quest 8 and 11 and probably some of the other ones, Persona 3-5, the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, Paper Mario, the SaGa franchise, Secret of Mana, Xenogears, the Atelier series, Live-a-Live, Sukioden franchise, Breath of Fire 1-4, SKIES OF ARCADIA, Grandia 1+2, Star Ocean franchise except 3, Fire Emblem. The Trails series because there are 12 of them and they're one big story oh and Wild Arms and all its sequels.
Rarity: and the illusion of gaia trilogy
Rarity: and the secret of evermore
Rarity: oh and EARTHBOUND
Rarity: sorry I'll stop now.
VG: Holy
VG: Moly.

There are a lot there I have never heard of. Some I have heard the whisperings of here about their greatness and I am thinking to go for those. Needless to say, let me finish FFVII first and we shall see how I feel.

Currently though, it is looking VERY good. I am running around a world map away from a giant snake on a chocobo having had fun in Kalm and regaling stories from the past. This is where I paused yesterday. So I am way past where the remake ends and man, this is exciting and interesting territory for me!! :3:

You know this isn't fake because Rarity used a somewhat obscure wrestling reference in it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everyone please stop doxxing me I just love video games! :cry:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you love video games so much, name 5.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Finals Fantasy I - V

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

queef anxiety posted:

What remake?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Finals Fantasy I - V

Didn't know the series was on life support

You hate to see it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

If you love video games so much, name 5.

FIFA 2017-2021

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

FIFA 2017-2021

Ahh a big fan of ultimate team taking over the entire game, I see

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

Rarity's list implies you should play star oceans after 3, and therefore cannot be trusted.

Dragon Quarter
The world ends with you
Radiant Historia
Super Mario RPG
Tales of the Abyss

Talking about jrpgs.... A good way to start the month.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Ahh a big fan of ultimate team taking over the entire game, I see

Come on baby mama needs her gold Neymar

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

FIFA Ultimate Team but on the blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just need to beat Barcelona 358 times and I'll recoup my lootbox losses