Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer obviously put the wrong postcode in his SatNav

https://twitter.com/wolfblitzer/status/1455118286736134149

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Anyone capable of paying so little attention to a house that it can be sold and them not notice for over three months deserves everything they get imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The climate summit is what they built the castle on.

Alternatively just use a ladder, it's summit, and you climate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

sebzilla posted:

Anyone capable of paying so little attention to a house that it can be sold and them not notice for over three months deserves everything they get imo

Hard to disagree, but who has a holiday home in Luton?

They were doing him a favour.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

quote:

Mr Hall phoned the police, but the builder left and returned with the new owner's father, who said he had bought the terraced house in July, adding: "It is now my property. You are now trespassing. Get out."

Incredible amounts of landlord energy in a single short sentence.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Antinumeric posted:

Hard to disagree, but who has a holiday home in Luton?

They were doing him a favour.

It seems he was away for work reasons. Its not his second home.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

It seems he was away for work reasons. Its not his second home.

Exactly this.

I'm genuinely surprised by some of the victim blaming going on here. The guy owned a tiny terraced house, yet he deserved to lose it and all of his possessions because of fraud? WTF?!?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 1, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer obviously put the wrong postcode in his SatNav

https://twitter.com/wolfblitzer/status/1455118286736134149

lmao this rules. With today's tech there is no point in sending out reporters to the field so CNN probably got to Glasgow, saw nothing impressive enough to film as a backdrop and went "gently caress it, we'll go to Edinburgh to film the castle".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao this rules. With today's tech there is no point in sending out reporters to the field so CNN probably got to Glasgow, saw nothing impressive enough to film as a backdrop and went "gently caress it, we'll go to Edinburgh to film the castle".

Lol

https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1455130480127455239

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mebh posted:

Yeah but squeezy marmite is discontinued so I have to use two butter knives to make a single piece of toast or risk marmite butter contamination.

Extra strong marmite just tastes like super old marmite to me. Not a fan. Wife loves it though.

Lick butter off knife, use same knife in Marmite. It's not as though anything iffy can survive in raw Marmite.

Yes I do live alone, why do you ask?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Sadly sounds like someone who knew this guy personally committed this fraud. They knew he'd be away from home for a significant period of time and were able to get all his documentation. Almost certainly had access to the house. It will turn out its his brother or something that's done this.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Methinks an estate agent is about to get sued out of existence for failing to do any money laundering checks whatsoever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They could have put him in front of the junction of the M8 and the M74 as a funny joke but that probably isn't 1. impressive or 2. funny to americans.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

The climate summit is what they built the castle on.

Alternatively just use a ladder, it's summit, and you climate.

booooooooooo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

fuctifino posted:

Exactly this.

I'm genuinely surprised by some of the victim blaming going on here. The guy owned a tiny terraced house, yet he deserved to lose it and all of his possessions because of fraud? WTF?!?

Yeah fair enough, I read the article consistently saying "house" and not "home" and jumped to landlord bastard conclusions.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

They could have put him in front of the junction of the M8 and the M74 as a funny joke but that probably isn't 1. impressive or 2. funny to americans.

Tearing down the Road to Nowhere robbed Glasgow of a metaphorical icon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah damnit, the marmite / vegemite talk reminded me I forgot to order that + malt vinegar from the expat shop in finland, and now the vegemite is out of stock again, got marmite and malt vinegar tho. But then the webshop is malfunctioning, jeez is there someone out there who wants to prevent me trying these?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Methinks an estate agent is about to get sued out of existence for failing to do any money laundering checks whatsoever.
I was thinking the same thing, except "conveyancer" and "get a mild slap on the wrist and then carry on exactly as normal because lmao the SRA is poo poo"

Private Speech posted:

What about tory mods.
Tories who are mods or people who moderate Tories?

Equally bad imo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It'll be the land registry paying out a settlement over it and no-one else. The man has lost his house, theres no way they will revert it back to his ownership.

He might get a settlement off of the 'sellers' solicitors for the lost possessions because the buyers solicitors 100% would have said that they want the house cleared before purchase so they would have seen that and not flagged up an entire homes worth of contents were still in there.

Absolutely disgusting story and 100% been bought by yet another buy to let landlord for a knockdown price too. Cannot believe the police said this was a civil matter to begin with.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

I was thinking the same thing, except "conveyancer" and "get a mild slap on the wrist and then carry on exactly as normal because lmao the SRA is poo poo"

Tories who are mods or people who moderate Tories?

Equally bad imo.

Can't believe she finally deleted that tweet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is still up
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1405280153949720579

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

I cannot see any way such a law would be enforceable.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

keep punching joe posted:

It will be enforceable against those the state wishes it to be enforced upon. Such a vague law is the point of it.

Kuenssbergs 'This is him here' tweet. Absolutely fine.

Mandy, 21 from Staffordshires 'This you?' tweet. 5 years.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sorry to report this kind of pile on is now illegal. Please disconnect your VPN and turn yourself in to your ISP.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

serious gaylord posted:

It will be enforceable against those the state wishes it to be enforced upon. Such a vague law is the point of.

I don't even believe that this government have that level of nuanced thinking. Seems more likely a dumb MP /spad decided let's just make 'pile ons' illegal without even thinking through the basics.

Calling now that it's not going to happen.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Also why are grown adults so exercised by being trolled online? Have the never used a forum or newsgroup in the 30 odd years of the mainstream Internet. It's not real just log off you n00bs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Also why are grown adults so exercised by being trolled online? Have the never used a forum or newsgroup in the 30 odd years of the mainstream Internet. It's not real just log off you n00bs.

They don't like to be talked back to by the poors.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol, imagine being that dude, you buy yourself a nice new house, all excited about what the future holds.

The next day youre national news for stealing a poor old vicar's home and all your new neighbours hate you.

I guess chances are he's a landlord so the thread's hate can be transferred over to him instead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My wife just got approved for Indefinite Leave to Remain :toot:

Also, told she doesn't have to come into the office on Mondays any more because of rising COVID, so, good day for her.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Flayer posted:

Sadly sounds like someone who knew this guy personally committed this fraud. They knew he'd be away from home for a significant period of time and were able to get all his documentation. Almost certainly had access to the house. It will turn out its his brother or something that's done this.

My mum was talking to me about this in the car after listening to some Fraud show on the radio last week. Apparently the picture used was of someone he didn't know, and they think it's happened to a few other people.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think they wrote plenty of checks for the money launderer, actually

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

My wife just got approved for Indefinite Leave to Remain :toot:

Also, told she doesn't have to come into the office on Mondays any more because of rising COVID, so, good day for her.
:toot: congrats

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The internet and forums were for anoraks and weirdos sitting at computers until everyone bought smartphones with internet-abled social media apps and suddenly everyone logged on at once without any preparation or understanding.

This is the same reason people act like an account suspension is an un-human-ing civil rights violation and act of censorship that prevents you from doing business and induces destitution. Or as I like to call it: getting banned by mods.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 1, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Antinumeric posted:

My mum was talking to me about this in the car after listening to some Fraud show on the radio last week. Apparently the picture used was of someone he didn't know, and they think it's happened to a few other people.

Quick read online suggests that most of the victims are landlords.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Z the IVth posted:

Quick read online suggests that most of the victims are landlords.

Ah, a victimless crime.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's mostly absentee landlords because it's a lot easier to sell the house when you have a few months where they're away from it. This person was just caught away from home for an extended period for other reasons.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I wonder how they initially got access to the house. Broke in, changed front door locks and then called a glazier or whatever to replace the window?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's mostly absentee landlords because it's a lot easier to sell the house when you have a few months where they're away from it. This person was just caught away from home for an extended period for other reasons.

Indeed - I was out of my flat for months in a row last year while I was at my parents over the whole lockdown period.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

I wonder how they initially got access to the house. Broke in, changed front door locks and then called a glazier or whatever to replace the window?

Indeed - I was out of my flat for months in a row last year while I was at my parents over the whole lockdown period.

If they’ve got a driving licence with that address on it then surely easy enough to just get a locksmith to let you in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Civil prosecutions probably. It's so Riley and Guardian journos can take people to court for replying to them.

Or possibly so the British state can start to Donziger people as well.