Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HopperUK posted:

I have to have an attendance review meeting on Thursday because I had the temerity to call in sick when my sister had COVID and I developed symptoms five days after contact with her. I'm so loving tired. I work for poo poo pay and my eyesight is failing and I'm so done in with this whole thing. Attendance review meeting! So they can tell me my absence levels are unacceptable and I can go 'well I call in sick when I'm sick' and that's it. That's the whole thing. What a waste. gently caress everything.

Do they use the stupid Bradford system - where 3 incidents of sick in under a year gets you a 'review' but 3 x 1 day counts against you as much as 3 x 1 week.

I don't suppose you are in a union are you?

Page snipe:

Year 4 CE

China: Emperor Ping of Han marries Empress Wang (Ping), daughter of Wang Mang, cementing his influence.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do they use the stupid Bradford system - where 3 incidents of sick in under a year gets you a 'review' but 3 x 1 day counts against you as much as 3 x 1 week.

I don't suppose you are in a union are you?

Yup they sure do! This happens to me about once every two years because I do not believe in going to work sick and coughing all over everyone.

Nah, I'm not, all my union options sucked big time. It's just bullshit to go through, they won't fire me, but I am generally just so fuckin over this job right now. I'm trying to learn Python so I can maybe get work doing *anything* else before my eyesight gets bad enough that I can't easily leave the house but my motivation is tanked by this sort of thing.

Sorry to bitch. Just, baaaah

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:hmmyes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paperhouse posted:

Cambridge itself is not a terrible place to be, but commuting there semi-regularly from Dublin sounds a bit horrid. Flying is presumably only a nice experience for people going first class or business class, for everyone else it's extremely tedious and uncomfortable

also as a side note, on the last flight I was on there was almost nobody there, I'd guess about 20% capacity. I moved to a seat that had more leg room because I'm 6 feet tall. An air steward came and told me that I couldn't sit there because it wasn't my seat, despite the fact that there was nobody on that row, and nobody in front or behind the row. The plane had already taken off! He said he'd have to go and ask someone if it was ok. He said it wasn't ok and I said that it was ok and I wasn't going to move, and that was that. utterly stupid exchange really but how have companies destroyed our minds so much :negative:

I'm 6'6" so every flight fucks my poo poo up, but tbf Dublin-Stansted is only like an hour, I can handle that if I manspread hard enough

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm 6'6" so every flight fucks my poo poo up, but tbf Dublin-Stansted is only like an hour, I can handle that if I manspread hard enough

I'd rather walk than have to fly with Ryanair if I was 6'6".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

I'd rather walk than have to fly with Ryanair if I was 6'6".

And once you do the latter the former may no longer be possible

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I was once moved from my assigned seat to a seat further back, because the curtain separator thingy had got stuck, which would have meant the "business" class people wouldn't have been sufficiently screened off from us plebs.

One of those Embraer 2+2 planes where business class is just a fancy doily on the headrest and better snacks. Totally pointless.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh no! The end of the Millenial avocado toast muncher is nigh! Maybe they'll all be able to afford a house now.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/nov/01/end-of-the-avocado-why-chefs-ditching-the-unsustainable-fruit

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobstar posted:

I was once moved from my assigned seat to a seat further back, because the curtain separator thingy had got stuck, which would have meant the "business" class people wouldn't have been sufficiently screened off from us plebs.

One of those Embraer 2+2 planes where business class is just a fancy doily on the headrest and better snacks. Totally pointless.

Yeah if you're loaded I kinda understand paying for business class for long-haul flights, because being crammed in for 10+ hours is never fun and the extra space is a big deal (+ it's always nice to get better food and free champagne and whatever), but I have zero clue why anyone would bother to pay more on a smaller plane where the only difference is you sit at the front behind a little curtain. I got flights between London City Airport and Glasgow a few times during my PhD and it was wild to see how many people seemed to be happy to splurge on completely nothing for the sake of a whole ~1hr trip.

e: loving hell, I looked up the prices for a random day next year and some absolute goons are willing to pay literally double for the privilege - £60 for economy, £120 for business. Wild.

Quite incredible that both are significantly cheaper than the near £200 it costs to get the train if you forget to book in advance though!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 1, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
do you get booze though?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks like they've hauled the Queen out in front of cameras to prove she's still alive

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah if you're loaded I kinda understand paying for business class for long-haul flights, because being crammed in for 10+ hours is never fun and the extra space is a big deal (+ it's always nice to get better food and free champagne and whatever), but I have zero clue why anyone would bother to pay more on a smaller plane where the only difference is you sit at the front behind a little curtain. I got flights between London City Airport and Glasgow a few times during my PhD and it was wild to see how many people seemed to be happy to splurge on completely nothing for the sake of a whole ~1hr trip.

e: loving hell, I looked up the prices for a random day next year and some absolute goons are willing to pay literally double for the privilege - £60 for economy, £120 for business. Wild.

Quite incredible that both are significantly cheaper than the near £200 it costs to get the train if you forget to book in advance though!

You’re paying an extra £60 to skip the security gate at Edinburgh and go sit in the lounge next to the posh BA one that does good measures.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you get booze though?

You get free booze in economy anyway on the BA Cityflyer flights.

(Unlike standard BA flights which phased out free anything a few years back. I'm sure it's perfectly coincidental that the subsidiary all the city wankers didn't feel the need to do any cost cutting)

Total Meatlove posted:

You’re paying an extra £60 to skip the security gate at Edinburgh and go sit in the lounge next to the posh BA one that does good measures.

How early are you allowed to turn up for your flight...

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Gonzo McFee posted:

They don't like to be talked back to by the poors.

I think you are all over thinking this, no offense.

To me it just seems like another form of censorship. They have most of the mainstream media on their side, they are not used to not being in control of the narrative.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

You get free booze in economy anyway on the BA Cityflyer flights.

(Unlike standard BA flights which phased out free anything a few years back. I'm sure it's perfectly coincidental that the subsidiary all the city wankers didn't feel the need to do any cost cutting)

How early are you allowed to turn up for your flight...

After nearly missing a flight out of Southampton (for which I got a South West Train but they’re shite) I religiously stick to 90 mins through the door now

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

After nearly missing a flight out of Southampton (for which I got a South West Train but they’re shite) I religiously stick to 90 mins through the door now

I think he meant how many days can i spend pissed in the free bar for before my flight?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think he meant how many days can i spend pissed in the free bar for before my flight?

That was what I was getting at, yeah :cheers:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Also G7 happened at the height of the tourist season in Cornwall - I was in Looe at the same time and it was crowded in a way I've never seen any seaside town in the UK, I mean to an extent that made Oxford Street look like the Nullarbor, so blaming the spike there on a bunch of weirdos all ensconced in the same bars and hotels is like blaming a dog pissing in a park for the state of all our rivers at the moment.

It was in June, that's not exactly the height of the season, but COVID has certainly filled the beaches. On the other hand G7 was not just a few weirdoesin bars - several thousand police officers came down here for it, as well. And the worst Covid hotspots afterwards were just where G7 things had happened.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ty for you serbis respec for ourboys

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

That was what I was getting at, yeah :cheers:

Oh I’m no smart after 8. Think they limited it to 2 hours before your boarding time, but given I was on a Flybe flight my personal record was around 5 hours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

The Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin Airport was €35 last time I used it in 2019, and they just leave the bottles so you can get absolutely wrecked on quadruple Baileys and mini sandwiches and cheese and crackers. Fantastic value if you have a couple hours and enjoy being absolutely twisted on your flight

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I had an awful experience in the BA lounge at I dunno gatwick? a while ago

All this free booze just sitting there, but it was 5:45 or something in the morning and I had to drive a car at the other end.

Actually I don't think I had to drive a car, just be alive and get on trains and stuff. Still awful

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin Airport was €35 last time I used it in 2019, and they just leave the bottles so you can get absolutely wrecked on quadruple Baileys and mini sandwiches and cheese and crackers. Fantastic value if you have a couple hours and enjoy being absolutely twisted on your flight

Yeah the lounges usually say you pay £30-40 for x number of hours but in practice no one challenges you once you're inside (maybe if the place is mobbed they're a bit more strict). I went to conference abroad once I couldn't be hosed doing much of anything the day of my flight, which wasn't till the evening. I went to the airport in the afternoon, paid for the minimum lounge stay (2 hrs I think) and sat there for about 5 hours getting absolutely blasted and playing videogames on my laptop in a lovely huge leather armchair, it was a pretty amazing day all things considered.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
When I went to the States it was about an extra 200 quid for "Economy Plus", which is basically business class but not quite (in fact it was less than that because I had extra baggage with all my bike gear and got two bits of carry-on so I didn't have to risk my crash helmet in the hold, but I can't remember what the charges for that were).

Anyway as far as I'm concerned it was worth every bloody penny because the standard Economy seats, even on Virgin, have the same pitch as the top deck of a London bus and even my stumpy little legs are cramped there. gently caress knows how anyone can cope with that for an 8 hour flight, let alone the even less room you get on the budget carriers.

I think the KLM "business class" from London City to Amsterdam used to be the funniest though, because the little planes were configured as all business class and the only difference I could see is the business class people got a copy of the FT on their seats - everything else was identical.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Amazing response from the police. I presume the Reverend is too good a person to attempt to do something similar to the new owner/their solicitor, or take out a loan in their name secured on their property, now that he has confirmation that the police will only gesticulate helplessly.

If there's a group of people who have had similar happen, maybe they can all get together and molotov cocktail each other's former homes, Strangers On A Train style.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
What are your blokes thoughts on this

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

wizard master

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on this

You better watch out

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Could we stage a pile on of wizard master please. While we still can.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

When I went to the States it was about an extra 200 quid for "Economy Plus", which is basically business class but not quite (in fact it was less than that because I had extra baggage with all my bike gear and got two bits of carry-on so I didn't have to risk my crash helmet in the hold, but I can't remember what the charges for that were).

Anyway as far as I'm concerned it was worth every bloody penny because the standard Economy seats, even on Virgin, have the same pitch as the top deck of a London bus and even my stumpy little legs are cramped there. gently caress knows how anyone can cope with that for an 8 hour flight, let alone the even less room you get on the budget carriers.

I think the KLM "business class" from London City to Amsterdam used to be the funniest though, because the little planes were configured as all business class and the only difference I could see is the business class people got a copy of the FT on their seats - everything else was identical.

I traveled to the States in economy about 10 years ago, somehow economy plus was absolutely rammed, and there were about 12 people in economy. We all slept lying across seats in the middle aisle. The plus plebs couldn't see us due to the curtain.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Perfect Element posted:

Could we stage a pile on of wizard master please. While we still can.

That's exactly what he wants, he's a pile on fetishist

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

Oh I’m no smart after 8. Think they limited it to 2 hours before your boarding time, but given I was on a Flybe flight my personal record was around 5 hours.

I once sat in departures at Southampton airport for 11 hours. Also thanks to Flybe. Our flight was originally meant to be at 11am, it left at 10pm.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

I once sat in departures at Southampton airport for 11 hours. Also thanks to Flybe. Our flight was originally meant to be at 11am, it left at 10pm.

Just think of how much free Baileys and Jameson you could drink in that time ...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

SAS business lounges used to be good when I was flitting around Scandinavia, and I always used to try and arrive early and make a day of it if I could. I used to get some funny looks from actual business people, so I often just flashed my ticket at them and said "Sorry about the smell, but I'm a musician".

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Longest stay in an airport I had was a layover in Toronto which I think it was for 11 hours.

I bought entrance to a lounge when I got there and stayed in there the whole time.

I was also offered an upgrade to actual first class on Virgin for £100 but didn't take it. I honestly wish I had.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've never once gotten the mythical free upgrade even though my partner has a few times. I think it would just ruin all other flights for me

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I know we shouldn't be surprised by stuff like this, but... loving lol...
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1455256753084502020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Corbyn would have taken the train and he wouldn't even have needed a seat