Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have to have an attendance review meeting on Thursday because I had the temerity to call in sick when my sister had COVID and I developed symptoms five days after contact with her. I'm so loving tired. I work for poo poo pay and my eyesight is failing and I'm so done in with this whole thing. Attendance review meeting! So they can tell me my absence levels are unacceptable and I can go 'well I call in sick when I'm sick' and that's it. That's the whole thing. What a waste. gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do they use the stupid Bradford system - where 3 incidents of sick in under a year gets you a 'review' but 3 x 1 day counts against you as much as 3 x 1 week.

I don't suppose you are in a union are you?

Yup they sure do! This happens to me about once every two years because I do not believe in going to work sick and coughing all over everyone.

Nah, I'm not, all my union options sucked big time. It's just bullshit to go through, they won't fire me, but I am generally just so fuckin over this job right now. I'm trying to learn Python so I can maybe get work doing *anything* else before my eyesight gets bad enough that I can't easily leave the house but my motivation is tanked by this sort of thing.

Sorry to bitch. Just, baaaah

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is there a thread I can go to to ask about advice for getting into computer-touching as a second career? I need to make a drat positive change in my life and I'm sick of earning poo poo money for a company that doesn't care. I'd like to earn decent money for a company that doesn't care.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ataxerxes posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap has a bunch.

Cheers, I will poke my head in.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So sure enough, my Bradford Factor score was too high, and I got my wrist slapped and I'm on a six-month probationary thing where if I go sick again, they'll maybe escalate to a stage TWO formal warning, and the possible end stage of this process is being fired.

It's not that I'm worried about losing my job - I'm not, really. I'm disabled, I live nearby and I'm reliable, and I'm dug in like a tick, they'd have a hard time going along without me. But man, the Bradford Factor is just utterly robotic. Why bother having a meeting if you're going to agree that all the absences were unavoidable and then issue a warning anyway? Just issue me a loving red cross on my record and let me carry on working.

someone hire me to learn python on your company's money, I am tired and fed up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

zhar posted:

there's also the ellen page nude shower scene he got his company to make without her knowledge that hackers managed to dig out of the game files. bear in mind this would never have been intended to be in the release, he just got his 3d artists to model her nipples for reasons we can only guess at.

Yo, not having a go at you or anything but Elliot Page came out as trans a while back and uses he/him nowadays.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Private Speech posted:

That one is kind of whatever to be honest, it's not the only game to have nipples in. (see also mass effect cameltoes etc.)

There's a million easier and far skeevier ways to do a virtual deepfake like that instead of putting it in the game if he wanted it for sexual gratification.

Also "hackers" is basically just any random modder with access to decoded game files and modelling tools.

That said there's a lot of credible allegations of abuse and harassment in quantic dream, which are far worse. I can't really get worked up about nipples on an otherwise barbie model of all things.

I mean - there being a lot of worse stuff that happened doesn't change the fact that they made a nude model of him without his consent and put it in the game files.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ronnie posted:

Like I ever stopped wearing a mask.

You ever noticed how it's only ugly people who don't mask up in public?

What? No.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's loving snowing here, just outside London.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Tuck your mask under your glasses properly.

It's this. I wear glasses every waking moment and a mask every time I'm outside my own house and I never huff on my glasses any more. Fold the mask over your nose and plant your glasses on top of that. Your breath shouldn't be coming out the top anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

I like this guy's vids for that same reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VjPHPQH0U

He cycles places. He cycled from Alaska to Mexico and further into Central and South America. He didn't do it in one go because he goes back to work in Canada planting trees each summer to make money which he then spends on his cycling trips. Nice chill dude.
This is awesome, thanks for the share!

I'm fond of WatchedWalker on youtube for this kind of 'slow TV'. Just walks around cities. Sometimes London, sometimes other places.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also lol, I'm a frontline healthcare worker and my GP surgery keeps pestering me to book my booster jab, but every time I check, they're only available during my working hours. I cannot take time off work to do this and they're all at the other end of a bus ride, because I can't drive, because I'm loving blind as poo poo.
Uggghhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Any chance of persuading your work to give you paid time off and arrange a taxi for you? Seems like as a frontline healthcare worker with a disability that would be the least they could do!

Oh my god, no. No. Not even slightly. We are treated exactly like baseline retail workers in terms of 'fucks the company gives about us'. And in terms of pay!

I'm trying to learn Python or something to get into computer touching instead because gently caress this industry