Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah damnit, the marmite / vegemite talk reminded me I forgot to order that + malt vinegar from the expat shop in finland, and now the vegemite is out of stock again, got marmite and malt vinegar tho. But then the webshop is malfunctioning, jeez is there someone out there who wants to prevent me trying these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Question IRL posted:

I see that this threads favorite Billionaire was in the news yesterday.

For those who hadn't seen it, this is basically it.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1455182049552314378?s=20

My response: WHY DON'T YOU PUT THE WHOLE WORLD IN AN EXPLODING CAR, ELON?

Nobody ever said 6 billion would cure world hunger, that's just Musk strawmanning the original argument and nobody nails him to the wall over it in the media. I read the original argument and it was about saving the 42 million people who are absolutely worst off.

So it's a total fabrication by Musk that anyone claimed 6 billion would solve world hunger, since there are a lot more than 42 million going hungry.

edit:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/01/business/elon-musk-tesla-stock-world-hunger/index.html

quote:

"Elon Musk has offered to sell some of his Tesla (TSLA) stock "right now" if the UN can prove that $6 billion will solve world hunger.

His comments came after UN World Food Programme (WFP) director David Beasley challenged the ultra-wealthy — and in particular the world's two richest men Jeff Bezos and Musk — to "step up now, on a one-time basis" to help solve world hunger in an interview with CNN last week.

"$6 billion to help 42 million people that are literally going to die if we don't reach them. It's not complicated," Beasley said on CNN's Connect the World program with Becky Anderson. That sum would equate to roughly 2% of Musk's net wealth.
Posting on Twitter on Sunday, the Tesla chief executive said: "If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6 billion will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it."

"But it must be open source accounting, so the public sees precisely how the money is spent," he added.
Beasley replied to Musk's post on Twitter, saying he could assure the billionaire that the WFP had the systems in place for transparency and open source accounting."

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 3, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FWIW the post that got the woman whose name escapes me now suspended was "I loving love the Foo Fighters", posted in a Labour FB group IIRC, and the "offence" was using naughty words in an official Labour forum while an office holder.

Having said that, this post should get you banned from the forums and also from ever voicing an opinion ever again. Dave Grohl is cool, the Foo Fighers are cool (apart from that HIV denialist guitarist they got rid of), and I will choke you with one of my massive collection of checked shirts if you say otherwise.

(TBH I only really like the first album, flaws and all, but there's some crackers on the later stuff and I sort of admire his casual slide into dad-rock - much better that than going down the jukebox musical route that even loving Green Day have slid into)

I can't even name a foo fighter song now that I think about it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guarantee there are at least 5 you know just from osmosis if you've consumed any media whatsoever in the last 2 decades.

Also I've just remembered that I do actually hate the Foo Fighters through Pavlovian conditioning, because the DJ at London Stadium always plays "Learn To Fly" - a song I was at best ambivalent about even before this - as first song at half time when we've played like utter poo poo. I guess it's supposed to be uplifting or something, but instead it makes me want to throw poo poo at the pitch (fortunately it's the London Stadium and you'd need an arm like a howitzer to reach it).

Quite possibly that is so, I just can't name any. I mostly listen to radio (daily) so very likely I have heard it there,

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I was also under the impression that smoke often indicates incomplete combustion and can in some cases be alleviated by improved ventilation or a secondary combustion to set fire to the smoke itself.

Kinda hard to do properly with an open fire pit. To control factors like that you need to enclose the fire and also have a proper draft.

One way to do it is to use a fan and blow from the bottom up, that's how I built my coke forge, I have noticed with the fan going even at low speed it'll burn wood almost smokelessly. It'd be great for an incinerator, not so much for a comfy crackling fire. Then you're back to having to enclose the fire and building the enclosure so it leads in secondary air at the right spots.

I also have an actual firepit, it's 1.5m in diameter, made from an old water tank bottom.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

For sure you can't really do it if you just want to put a fire on the ground, but it seems like something you could probably do fairly easily with some bricks and a grate.

The metal ones also go really manky IME and take up a lot of space when you don't want to use them, bricks you can take apart and stack up when not in use, and they don't rust.

Well without a fan to provide a blast of excess oxygen you will most likely need a chimney and an enclosure to produce secondary combustion or the smoke will dissipate before that has a chance to happen. You could definitely build it from bricks, you have to trap the smoke in a chamber right above the fire before it exits to the chimney, thanks to the draft you have fresh air that is sucked in from under the fire grate, but you also need to direct some of that air around the existing fire deliver it fresh and unburned above the flames, then it can wix with the hot smoke and combust again. That is exactly how my masonry* heater works in my house. With a fan you can just shove the air in from the bottom through the fire with brute force but with self-draft that won't work.

But realistically speaking for a fire pit you dont need to achieve complete combustion and smokelessness. Putting the firewood on a raise up grate is good enough then you get increased airflow and it will be a good enough combustion not to smoke like heck, but not smokefree. Just a nice looking fire that hopefully won't bother the neighbors too much.

------

This is my fire pit anyway, still looks the same, paint on the outside is still good despite speanding years outside before it got cut up. I do have space and have moved it behind my new shed.

I also welded this rocket stove last spring from some trash, it was an experiment in combustion. The end result because of the material I used was suboptimal. A rectangular shape but a square or round is better. It smoked a lot like this.

I added an intake on the side to let in air around where I thought the air was gonna need to come in, and sure enough it produced a much cleaner burn:

I'd like to experiment some more with this later. I think a small camping stove based on something like this would be cool to build.

Sorry I like to sperg on this kind of stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Soylent Yellow posted:

I tried to make one of those rocket stoves a couple of years ago, but could never get it to draw properly.

My current favourite is a woodburning garden stove/heater I made out of an empty propane cylinder. I welded a 6mm mild steel plate onto the top that works well as a cooking plate.

Sounds interesting, empty propane cylinders are cheaply had, got photos?

Re: rocket stoves, I think the design with a separate bottom air intake is probably better than the one which has the air intake in the angled part.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1457827954919198733

And I'm too lazy to go back to find who it was who suggested this....

... but thank you. I'm two days in, and can't recommend it enough.

Put this in your ublock custom filter list and you will also not see that annoying message.

somethingawful.com##.ignored

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Olpainless posted:

Yeah, this. (Read LabyAmbien's post in the news thread, it's loving damning)

What news thread?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

c0burn posted:

I assume it'll be the excuse for not voting for Labours motion

I read that as Starmers excuse. Which I could definitely see him doing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

fuctifino posted:

The 9 Insulate Britain protesters have been sentenced to 3-4 months each in prison apart from this guy:

https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1460593839295582212

.... who was given 6 months for some inexplicable reason.

what a oval office of a judge IMO

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Noxville posted:

Wonder what the ‘support Labour no matter what’ lot think of this

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1461614700265885698?s=21

"Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."

"Five times man?"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Vagabong posted:

Isn't the E.U bank essentially run by France and Germany, the two biggest economies? I'd imagine a UK with the Euro as the currency would have similar levels of pull.

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, Finland has jobs for IT people especially and the income limit for a visa is 3k€ I think, which is at the very lower end of IT wages. And having lived in the UK for 5 years I can say that housing tends to be better.

Man if I had 3k wage I'd consider myself rich.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

Just to circle back to this, I'm not 100% sure the Euro is bad.
Now granted this is based on my limited secondary school study of economics, but one of the strengths of the Euro was to tie member states economy together.
IE, you don't let one country tank their economy, because it would have even more of a knock-on effect to it's neighbours than normal.
Now whether that is completely true is a matter for more experts.
But it seems to me the fact that the UK was never in the Euro meant they were never as invested in staying in the EU as other countries. Maybe Brexit wouldn't have happened if the notion of massive currency changes had to happen. (Or alternatively the Farages of the world would have campaigned for it on the basis of "get the pounds back".)

The flip side of this is if Ireland was still using the Punt, I am not convinced that the rest of the EU would be as willing to go to the mat for Ireland in all the Brexit negotiations.

Even the euro architects knew that the euro would create a crisis, their hope was the crisis would mean they could create a banking union to solve it and integrate the EU further, boy where they wrong... Like using the same currency, that's the step that'd come even after full federalization of the EU. They totally put the horse before the cart here. It just can't work without all the other structures in place before to support it and before the economies are integrated enough.

As an side, without the euro, there wouldn't have been a greek crisis to begin with. It's also why southern europe is screwed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

It's important to remember that driving & car ownership drives people loving insane. Just encourages the worst most selfish behaviour in people.

Ban the car.

Personally I think it's just you're living too densely with too many people in one area. Humans where not made for it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Wish I was living densely :( God I miss that. Or more accurately the conveniences that come with that.

I honestly don't. The less I am exposed to these socalled conveniences the happer I am.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'd say in the past it was more common to buy groceries for longer times at a go rather than doing everyday shopping, it'd often be basics like flour, salt and the like that kept. And you'd make more from scratch instead of buying readt made goods. It was also easier to get your goods and groceries from your local village then, now they're all out of business in favor of big centralized stores so you need a car to get there.

Most people in the past could never do everyday shopping. And everyday shopping IMO does to peoples brains something similar to what cars do, it normalizes mass consumption culture, it's an addictive behaviour.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 24, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I mean this is a general theme among speculative fiction authors, they all, seemingly invariably, operate under the belief that the only thing people can be interested in long term is loving or murdering.

There's never anybody who like, spends thousands of years getting very very good at carpentry and being happy with it.

I like that idea. And I think it's implied in the books that there are people like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My power is out, the apocalypse is in fact already here.

Can't wait for the power to go out here, been waiting to show my SO that the old pressure lamp I renovated does have a practical value!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Get fuuucked!!!!!!!!!!!