Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They'd never have done this if there was a functioning opposition dominating the media narrative and keeping them off-balance. They know they'll only receive the most tepid, ineffective pushback from Labour, so why not do it? If Labour was capable of making the Tories bleed, the sharks of the media would have been all over them, just shows how useless they are right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's a big lad who generally dresses well enough to hide it, but comparing those pics of him at the hospital to the topless pap shots of him on holiday I'm seriously beginning to suspect a bit of corsetry going on.

Perhaps he's sucking his stomach in as hard as possible?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tarnop posted:

I'm subscribed to Novara on YouTube, but all their video titles are basically "ANOTHER thing to get MAD about" and I just end up rolling my eyes and scrolling past. My anxiety levels are much more under control since I started doing this in general.

Yeah, I was just scrolling through Novara a few minutes ago and was wondering to myself what actual benefit I'd get from watching any more of their stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People's fundamental interests haven't changed: the older homeowners and landlords who make up the 40% bloc of the Tory vote remain rock solid and will support them next election regardless.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, driving's done on public roads but from inside your own little bubble of private property, which kicks up all sorts of funny territorial quirks in people's heads.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Answers Me posted:

I find the whole thing quite fascinating really. Also weirdly refreshing to see the forum as a form making a bit of a comeback among people fatigued by social media..? It’s insanely active for a forum in 2021.

I was mostly interested in why the Guardian was going after it: I assumed it had been making fun of some senior journalist on there, or at least one of their wannabe 'influencer' friends.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've got to admit, I've been browsing that Tattle website and it honestly is brutally funny about vain, online 'celebrities'.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Danger - Octopus! posted:

extremely fictionalised

You mean they WEREN'T all eaten by a giant magic polar bear??? My immersion in the series is ruined now :mad:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's weeks too early for anyone to be making that prediction and I'd assume anyone saying so with any kind of confidence is selling something. We have some evidence it's more transmissable than Delta but literally no data at all yet on how dangerous it is, and how much it's mitigated by existing vaccines or treatable with existing therapy.

Yeah, dunno why this particular variant's suddenly all over the news when there's absolutely no evidence it's any worse than any of the thousand other variants that've popped up in the last 18 months. Quiet news day?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Altho 'Omicron' is an admittedly cool, sinister name for a new deadly virus.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The name was meant to evoke the holy machines that the greatest of Space Marines are implanted into in Warhammer 40k.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Really useful press conference going on right now: the new variant may be a problem, or it may not: nobody really knows yet.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I said before we're still *way* too early to be making any kind of confident pronouncements about Omicron and anybody claiming to know the truth - whether it's people telling us that it evades all vaccines and treatments and we need to start welding people into their houses, or that actually it's fantastic because it outcompetes Delta but doesn't kill you - is trying to sell you something.

Beefing up biosecurity *is* a good idea while we wait the couple of weeks (at minimum) we need to work out whether this is the next Plague of Justinian or not, but of course we're doing it in a completely half-arsed way because they're all scared of the Daily Mail.

Yeah, I know, I'm just at the stage where I want to say to them: when you know for sure that it's a problem, then you can start with the gloomy press conferences and regretful announcements that Xmas is cancelled, again; just give me a break from it until that point. I hate all the breathless media speculation that I feel compelled to scroll through, 'cos ignoring it makes me even more anxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Parents and 'traditional' families are shown too much deference by the current system, especially given that the idea of the traditional family is something fabricated entirely by modernity.

When's the last time that you heard something positive being said about multi-generational households or extended families? Last year during the height of the pandemic they were being blamed for spreading Covid on purpose while the government was doing nothing about people being sent straight from hospital into care homes. And single parents, despite often needing more in the way of support, have been a useful kickball for successive governments since at least the 70s when the rhetoric went from "oh dear, we need to help" to "this is moral decline!"

There's a plausible hypothesis that politicians love the 'nuclear' family so much because it's the smallest possible family unit that can still work and raise children while being isolated, vulnerable and easy to control. People who have the support of big, clannish, extended family networks ate going to be far less likely to put up with a lovely job or automatically comply with State demands, because they don't have the same constant fear of ending up on the street if their salary gets switched off.