Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My wife just got approved for Indefinite Leave to Remain :toot:

Also, told she doesn't have to come into the office on Mondays any more because of rising COVID, so, good day for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

These do make cleanup much easier after any massacres

I mean the actual things are to prevent staining the seats with the hair pomade you are definitely using because it's still 1955 (or 1855) :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

I'd rather walk than have to fly with Ryanair if I was 6'6".

That particular trip might also involve quite a long swim.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, but iirc the bonuses are time-limited, so if you really want to get enough miles to realistically be able to afford a first class flight with them (and a long-haul one worth the time) you have to be spending at least something like 1.5k/month on the card for a few years. So it's doable if you're already pretty well off (or I guess on London salary/expenses) but not really doable for a lot of people, me included. At least that's what I remember but it was a few years ago I was looking into it.

I am on a quite high London salary and I'm still not putting 1500 quid a month on my credit card even if I put my entire monthly discretionary spending on it - I mean it's not like you can pay rent with it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Rumours in the industry are that - with a few exceptions - almost all the big tech companies are going to move to some form of hybrid working fulltime and downscale their offices - the Hoxton artisanal coffee industry is going to be decimated.

That's what we are doing. Our lease at Dirty Des's pad was up anyway so we've sold up and got a smaller office in Aldgate - it is no longer physically possible to have everyone in 5 days a week even if we wanted to. Plan is basically 2 days a fortnight in for meetings and planning and that only from February. Regular set top box snuggling remains at home from now on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I assume you mean the N&S building up by Billingsgate

Yup. For the 3 weeks or so I worked there before lockdown, I could look out the window and see this https://www.alamy.com/weather-vane-billingsgate-fish-market-london-image67943750.html

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Is there a thread I can go to to ask about advice for getting into computer-touching as a second career? I need to make a drat positive change in my life and I'm sick of earning poo poo money for a company that doesn't care. I'd like to earn decent money for a company that doesn't care.

There's a new programmers thread in Cavern of COBOL too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My experience at uni (ok it was a LONG time ago) was the few students who bothered to vote voted tory (Thatcher back then) because 'my mum and dad always do and they said I should'.
The only time more than 10 students turned up for a students' union meeting was - given the usual lack of attendance at meetings and also noone called 'quorate' until the union had pushed through its wishes - the union president was going to push through a motion donating the entire year's funding to the RA. Someone got wind of it and called an EGM and almost the entire college (one of London Unis colleges) turned out to squash it.

The Radcliffe Arms? (RIP). Pub deserved it imo, they did a great cooked breakfast.

My secondary school was the same, whole lot of Tories because their parents were, literally bereft and in some cases weeping when Thatcher resigned. Meanwhile I'm walking around with a (carefully concealed) song in my heart (the song was the Internationale).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it ever comes to war with the machines my almost supernatural ability to render the most robust machinery completely inert simply by looking at it will make me Humanity's saviour.

As someone who does robotics for fun, I will collaborate with our robot masters. Maybe they'll give me Australia to rule!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Someone is knocking on doors in my street saying that there have been complaints about gas and electricity. Prices will be going up by 68% next week and was I aware? I have no idea who they represent because they didn't introduce themselves except to say that they were not selling gas or electricity.

Is it too deeply cynical to suspect some kind of loan shark is doing doorstop selling?

They are probably lying about not selling gas or electricity (or at least they aren't directly, themselves) and are trying to get you to switch providers in exchange for a commission from the new provider.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lungboy posted:

My housewife mum will love being deemed underclass because she stayed at home to raise kids.

Is this...translated from some other language? Especially at that last one about 'upper class' - 'other marker of high nobility to success' indeed.

Underclass might be lumpenproletariat I guess.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So are people living in East Ham called East Hamsters? Cos I am one now. No longer :smugdog:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

You think youtube ads are bad, Now TV has unskippable ads at the start of their films and you pay for that loving pleasure.

Have you considered theft?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I guess unless ol' Silvio becomes English you're stuck with PM Boris until either you're dead or he is

I mean, Boris is/was American. We've had a Canadian prime minister. This isn't America, if Queenie (or Charles) wants to make Silvio PM that's perfectly legal.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Not a big fan of losing the ability to print as much money as we like tbh.

Yeah, speaking as someone who in the 90s thought we should join the Euro? No, ta. *points at Greece*

Yes I know we're bigger than them but turns out having someone else run your money is a bad idea.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the real punchline is that the UK had every opportunity to be the big swinging dick of the EU, and arguably already was, and chose to throw it all away in a nationalistic tantrum and inevitably become a third world country.

The EU bank is essentially run by Germany, which as an economy that still actually makes things in factories is not necessarily in sync with us these days. France is in there too, but are sort of famously not necessarily always on our side either. We obviously have less influence out of the EU than in it, but that doesn't mean joining the Euro would have been good for the UK.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

That's a weird opinion to have considering creating the Euro was a price Germany had to pay for reunification and was pushed by France.

How is that a weird opinion? That was decades ago, and in general EU fiscal policy has tended to favour what Germany (a company that makes an exports things) wants rather than what anyone else wants. That's not particularly controversial and given Germany is the single largest EU economy it's not surprising either.

'The real problem with the Euro is the lack of a proper political union to drive a coherent monetary policy' is precisely what we're complaining about and why the UK having joined it would have been a poor idea.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

IE, you don't let one country tank their economy, because it would have even more of a knock-on effect to it's neighbours than normal.

Hello hi *points at Greece some more*

There is no EU political abillity to 'not let one country tank their economy' but it means they have a much, much more painful time of it once they've done that. And it's not the people doing the tanking who pay the price.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Has anyone ever actually said what bad stuff they thought Corbyn would have done to Jewish people once he was in power? Its so fun watching everyone get into the academic weeds over israel and zionism and historical claims while the Tories privatise the NHS, stamp all over LGBT rights and feel safe announcing that they'll drown migrants in the chanel.

At least a couple of people professed to claim literally Auschwitz.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

'David Irving is a good historian' is a bad and wrong take in itself, by anyone, any time in the 21st century (at least) and is automatically suspect.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

<44s voting LAB+LIB/LDEM more than CON is a pretty reliable fact going back to 1945 at least (and this is amongst exit poll voters, not gen pop). nonetheless, there have been Conservative postwar governments, to collective astonishment

Even if true (and yes it certainly is to some extent, something something that proverb about anyone young voting Tory has no heart and anyone old voting Labour has no head or however it goes) - a) I'm not sure it was /this/ polarised; about 80% of olds vote Tory/Brexit these days and b) the Boomer generation is a thing and there are a lot of them and c) the things that make people vote Tory (like owning houses) are concentrated in them.

Politics will be interesting in about 10-20 years when the Boomers actually die off/go senile in significant numbers. Til then we're hosed and by we I mean more or less the entire First World at the very least; I don't know enough about e.g. India to comment on the age gap and its politics there.

(Also d) retirees ALWAYS vote at higher rates than people of working age, because they have poo poo else to do. This also is true going back decades)

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 22, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oxford_town posted:

Median pension wealth is still much higher for public sector pension holders than private sector ones. As you identify, part of that difference is public pensions usually being opt-out, although auto-enrolment for private pensions was supposed to reduce that gap a bit. Regardless, though, a defined-benefit pension, which is the norm for public sectors, generally seems to be a much better deal for the holder over a defined-contribution one, even if career average DB is worse than final salary DB.

(I am personally paying into a career average DB public sector pension.)

Oxford has been a city since the 90s :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[2] There are of course exceptions - if feedmegin ever went for a lunctime walk from the N&S building he'd have almost certainly seen them closing the riverside walk outside Customs House because they managed to dodge raising their walls after the 1953 floods)

I mean I was there for about 2 minutes between moving to London and us all being packed off to work from home, and we're currently moving offices to a smaller place in Aldgate :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oxford_town posted:

Hey, I needed a username years ago and was listening to a lot of Bob Dylan at the time.

That's not even the real Oxford! (Though my wife's alma mater is there, so next time we visit the US we're likely to be visiting it)

According to wikipedia, however, it is also still a city.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

We could probably clone someone now if we really tried. There would be quite a few severely messed up babies produced in the attempt and no real benefit, but it could be done.

I mean Dolly the Sheep was born in 1993. I presume the procedure isn't different for a human, particularly since monkeys have been cloned.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shamelessly posting my own tweet here because it demonstrates what I was talking about when there were all those pearl-clutching headlines about overcrowding at Canning Town station during lockdown. The people there - and anyone commuting in via Stratford, also on the Jubilee Line and where you'd change if coming in by bus from the cheapest suburbs in the A11/A12 hinterland - had absolutely no choice *but* to be there, because they have the shittiest jobs and the smallest safety nets.

I mean, I work(ed) in an office for a quite well paid job and Stratford is a metropolis to me as a former Barkingite and now Forest Gate-doer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also judging by the queues it's possible that at least a million or two of those journeys to and from Stratford were people going to try out the Wendy's on the Broadway - it's loving good, by the way, best price/taste ratio for a burger I've ever had.

Yeah I am familiar with Wendys from when I lived in the US. It's an aight burg in general, havent had the UK one yet.

There's a Popeye's round there too as of about 5 days ago, apparently.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I made it 15 minutes into Lower Decks and gave up. Does it improve?

Yes. When has a Star Trek show's 1st season not sucked? They get a lot less Rick and Morty later on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

There was HMS Invincible, turns out she wasn't - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1907)

As for Dreadnought, eh, she wasn't quite as out of the blue as people make out - other people, the Yanks for one, had sussed the concept of all-big-gun turbine battleship, it's just that as world Top Dog naval builders at the time we got ours out first. It's more a matter of the tech advancing to the stage where it was the obvious thing to do than some lone genius having a lightbulb moment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Our landlord thinks our heating should be turned off overnight (he has remote control over it - but we can override it, which he doesn't like - and it's his first winter as a landlord).

It's currently -1 at night here.

...is he paying the heating bills at least?!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Then the EU gets involved and we lose

The militaries of the EU are pretty underfunded but so is ours and overall there's more of them.

We have nukes, though. As of course does France. In this incredibly batshit insane scenario the EU might be marching through the glowing remains of what once was London, but Berlin and Paris aren't looking much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It's been snowing here since friday, I thought it was everywhere.

Not over here in East Ham. (I am no longer :smugdog:)