Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

frankenbeans posted:

Speaking of luxury, you can get the big jars of Marmite again. I can't put into words how great a thing this is. Even when our country is hosed there are still enough beer factory floor scrapings to make big jars of this poo poo.

I also got a jar of the extra strong Marmite, but like moving up from codeine to morphine, will I be able to go back after? Answers on a postcard, please.

Yeah but squeezy marmite is discontinued so I have to use two butter knives to make a single piece of toast or risk marmite butter contamination.

Extra strong marmite just tastes like super old marmite to me. Not a fan. Wife loves it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I enjoy staying up late and so every longhaul flight I always make sure to get an aisle seat and just chain catch up on reading, films etc. It got a lot easier in recent years with Internet access.

I read the entire works of pratchett thanks to this thread over 9 months of hopping around the world for work. I'm 6'1 and broad shouldered so planes are hell, especially as I had undiagnosed adhd at the time, the only way to keep sanity is to absorb myself into a good bit of media.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's optional to go back to the office for my company. Nobody wants to. Especially as the company is incredibly strict about it. Max 5 people per floor. Say bathroom rotations no catering, set hours, no meeting rooms. In person meetings absolutely forbidden.

Basically it's only any use for new starters who haven't got Internet at their home yet.

Kinda makes the whole thing of office work being entirely pointless very obvious. Since the vast majority who wanted to go back just said some handwavey bullshit about ad hoc small meetings to get stuff done and solve problems.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Thread NO. PULL UP.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wonder if there'll actually be any conseque... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry. Caught myself there. As if the pile of barbershop hair trimmings stuffed full of overripe ham will ever face anything other than a cheese board.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was thinking of stumping up for one of those gas powered outdoor heaters instead of a fire pit as I have a gas bbq for cooking and a weber smoker for coal and wood burning.

Seems they're about 120 quid for a decent one. I just am not sure I'd use it much. Spent dinner in the garden with the neighbours, made apfelpunsch and gluhwein and grilled some bratwurst. Just wore a coat and was fine.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They're... Just not that smart though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealing-boris-johnsons-talks-with-bp-not-in-public-interest-uk-government-says/

Nothing corrupt to see here. No sir.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The gently caress are we even going to offer silicon valley?
Let them mine crypto on all our smart meters? Nfts of the queen? Testing grounds for unethical tech startups tied to the DWP?

It's going to be Stilton and Diana plates like crispix says isn't it?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.proag.com/news/2022-california-pork-shortage-is-inevitable-says-local-economist/

Apparently they need pigs. We have lots of pigs. Maybe we can give them our pigs and we can have some oranges.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tony Blair alt posting on reddit posted:

I'm over the loving moon man.

To all those who're gonna say 'but Milliband was ahead too!' you're wrong and here's why.

Milliband's personal ratings were absolutely awful, he never even came close to Cameron on either approval ratings or on the question of who'd make the best PM.

Starmer, by contrast, not only has more popularity than Corbyn and Milliband, he's also been ahead of Johnson or extremely close to him on the question of who'd make the best PM. So in the context of that, this lead is significant.

Of course though the Corbynistas, the Bastanis, the Novara mob will be gutted by this but for us real true Labour supporters, all I can say is...THINGSSSS CAN ONLY GET BETTTERRR!!

:dogstare:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I live by the rule of "don't touch the poop"

Scrolling through the replies occasionally to various right wing folks on twitter is about as far as I go because crikey, people are nuts and universally convinced their echo chamber is the one true echo chamber. I say as I post in my own echo chamber.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Biscuits Brown.

Is this like, rhyming slang for blackhawk down or something?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

+1 for vanced. Really good app. Adguard and Brave too. Really need to get around to setting up pihole and a raspberry pi some day. I really hate that I can't kill ads from my LG TV's YouTube app.

Having worked in mobile advertising 2.5 years ago the costs per install for users was a warzone and the return on ad revenue was being squeezed ever tighter. I can't imagine its better now. So ads have by necessity gotten more aggressive and frequent for the same return.

I will say, the ads that produced the best returns were NEVER the high quality ones but the poo poo, badly framed, badly drawn, loud or ugly ones that accidentally looked like something someone recognised. It was maddening.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

One of our few competent producers on the team I was helping out on turned out to be a nonce the week before last. He was very much fired instantly but that was a 'joyful' experience of handing his laptop over to the police and trying to resist the urge to burn everything. Especially when half my meetings are booked by him and his face keeps popping up in outlook. Gah.

Then... loving then... This week a guy who got promoted just this year that we were really happy with and everyone said was a "sound dude" decided to sexually harass the new producer who was helping us fill the shortfall.

loving hell.

I just don't get it. Out of nowhere he just decided to fill her inbox with self pitying garbage and when she politely declined and said she had a partner and a kid thanks but no... Kept loving going.

The gently caress posesses people to think that's OK and that they won't get caught and instantly turbo hosed? Especially the week where everyone is incredibly angry and upset that someone we trusted turned out to be a monster.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

"the real test comes now" they say as they fail the test for the 40th time in as many days.

loving lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So goddamnedtwisto that bit at the end of day of the triffids where London flooded as everyone had gone blind wasn't entirely accurate?

I've been lied to my whole life.

E: Wait. I'm getting my John Wyndam confused. It was the Kraken wakes where aliens melted the ice caps and THEN flooded London.