Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

They could have put him in front of the junction of the M8 and the M74 as a funny joke but that probably isn't 1. impressive or 2. funny to americans.

Tearing down the Road to Nowhere robbed Glasgow of a metaphorical icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Amazing electric cars
A revolution in personal car ownership
Access to space for non government agencies
i dunno like paypal or whatever

Electric cars that occasionally burst into flames.
Car ownership that means they can remotely brick your car if you miss a payment.
Privatizing space.
He did gently caress all to develop Paypal, he literally paid for the title of founder.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

An ex-friend of mine always used to say that he found it really weird that every time someone talks or writes about Dave Grohl his name is always appended with "he's such a nice guy!" "nicest guy in rock!" etc., etc., and that the sheer consistency of it is really sus, he took that as reason enough to prophylactically despise him, and his band

So I dunno, maybe gently caress the foo fighters

their music sucks poo poo now, that's for definite

The Foo Fighters played benefit concerts for AIDS denialists. So yes, gently caress the Foo Fighters.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My favourite possible music plagarism is Nirvana's "Come As You Are"/Killing Joke's "Eighties"/The Damned's "Life Goes On"/Bauhaus' "Hollow Hills"/Garden of Delight's "22 Faces", a tangled web of who took the riff from who, and if it was accidental or not.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 8, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A POSTING GAP!

I never realized how much George C. Scott looked like Tim Robinson.

Which makes Dr Strangelove the longest I Think You Should Leave episode ever.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

In a stunning bit of "rats fleeing ONTO a sinking ship", apparently Eamonn Holmes is going to GB News.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Replace the current Windsor lot with the entire Attitude Era WWF roster tbqh

Practically speaking, what changes between the current setup and the Corporate Ministry?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

'Terrorism' is a purely strategic term and holds no moral weight in itself

In a vaccum, stripped of all context, you're right. Materially speaking, the word "terrorism" has hugely negative connotations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

It is weird that nobody ever seems to talk about the possibility of rejoining the single market or something. All the remainiac ultras talk about is rejoining, which is never going to happen, at least for a decade+. Seems like it would be an obvious thing for Starmer to push for that doesn't upset any of the people he actually gives a poo poo about. Maybe the idea is that the Tories will end up having to plump for the single market in the end once the contradictions of the NI stuff become untenable. That seems pretty optimistic that the Tories won't just blow everything up and enjoy CON+30 for the privilege.

Rejoining the single market would also be fairly easy to obscure behind a bunch of trade jargon that the man on the street's eyes will glaze over hearing. All they need to know is we've definitely still Brexit'd and they can still have bendy bananas and white dog poo poo like when I were a lad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hallucinogens are the kind of thing I'd like to try, but I know my brain is already not up to code stone-cold sober, so I'd really rather not go shaking those foundations too hard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of my mates at school came to England from Bangladesh when he was like 11, but his parents, being climbers, paid for an English tutor to give him a crash course in English and in fairness the bloke did a good job as he really did speak like a native - unfortunately though like a native of Middlesbrough because that's where the tutor was from, which marked him out *way* more than speaking with a Bangladeshi accent ever would have.

This happened to a friend of mine too, except he ended up essentially speaking RP in south-west Scotland, thus gaining himself the nickname Oxford, which eventually became Cocksford.

Teenagers are both cruel and hilarious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, driving's done on public roads but from inside your own little bubble of private property, which kicks up all sorts of funny territorial quirks in people's heads.

Any cyclist who has spent any time on public roads will firmly assure you that car ownership is a direct causal link to absolute sociopathy. I don't think I know anyone who cycles regularly who doesn't have multiple stories of essentially being attacked with several tonnes of high-speed steel.

Then when confronted about how they're attempting to murder someone else, will immediately go Full Clarkson and bleat about ARE ROAD TAX

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I like that it feels like the government wanted to wait until I'd got my booster before opening up until the plebs, although I'm a little annoyed that all my time spent pointing at chairs in vaccination centres to qualify as "frontline medical staff" only apparently bought me an extra day of super extra 5G coverage.

(It also apparently qualifies me for a free flu jab which they did at the same time, which was nice, but I'll check back in tomorrow when I'm getting the side-effects from both at the same time to confirm exactly *how* nice)

I got my booster and flu jab at the same time, and the nurse administering it gave me some great advice I'll pass on: get them both in the same arm. Because it felt like I took a good punch in the shoulder all that day, but at least it meant I could sleep on the other side.