Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I see that this threads favorite Billionaire was in the news yesterday.

For those who hadn't seen it, this is basically it.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1455182049552314378?s=20

My response: WHY DON'T YOU PUT THE WHOLE WORLD IN AN EXPLODING CAR, ELON?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

happyhippy posted:

You are talking about the peeps that have delayed the Irish Language Act that the UK and Ireland agreed to back in 2006.

Also I think I mentioned this here before, but when I was working for the NI govt and was up in around Stormont when the Assembly was being set up in 1998, the rumor was Ian Paisley Jr tried to get Sprite/7-UP banned from the Stormont cafeteria because they had green, white, and gold(yellow) colours on their cans.
gently caress knows if its true, but it sounds like it would be natural in NI.

This has always annoyed me. The Irish flag* is Green, White and Orange.
That's their colours. And yet it treated as some subjective belief and sometimes the last colour is replaced with Gold or Yellow.

The Constitution specifically says what colours make up the flag.

* = Also the Ivory Coast, even if it's in the wrong order.Those guys are cool too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

You meant to post the same tweet twice?

Failed Imagineer will return in "You Only Post Twice."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endjinneer posted:

Anyone want to open a book on which news item silences the parliamentary grifting scandal?
It's looking like it could be any of [COP26 outcome], article 15 and Boris saves Christmas 2020 2021 in the running at the moment.

While winding up the Joint Consultative Working Group between the EU and the UK might ruffle some feathers, it is invoking Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol that would catch more news attention.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

To the Fallen of Men.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think nukes work the way you think they work. Nuclear-armed states have been at war with each other more or less constantly since 1945, they've just found ways of doing it at arms length to pretend they're not fighting each other to get the nukes involved. It's not like there's a Dead Hand that's programmed to unleash 500 megatons at us the moment it detects residue of Biscuits Brown in Sevastopol.

Look at this guy who is not familiar with the works of CIA Station chief, Hot Coldman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9nEdkKWks

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

Sure, and I don't have a problem with them saying this individual was a terrorist because using a bomb is inherently an act of terror. What I have a problem with is them not saying so from the off because nobody who uses a bomb is anything other than a terrorist. But they didn't, and by saying they had to wait to "examine his methodology" when his methodology was literally the first and only thing we knew it's transparently obvious that it was because they didn't want to say it until they were sure that the bomber either failed the paper bag test or was Irish. It just happens to be exceptionally bad here because when they know up front that the guy with a knife had brown skin they have no problem in dubbing him "terrorist" on the instant even though knives are far from exclusive to terrorists.

So, here's a weird example.

The True Crime case of Jack Gilbert Graham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Gilbert_Graham

Long story short, he put a bomb in his mother's suitcase and blew up the plane she was on, killing 44 other people. Just to murder his mother and collect the life insurance policy.
(Bonus points. He took out the Life Insurance Policy on his mother using a Vending machine in the airport, because that's how they rolled in American in 1955.)

Since nothing like this had ever happened before, they just charged him with one count of murder (his mother), with the aggravating factors for the court to consider was how 44 other people were killed at the same time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There were a few either side of 1990. They're just nigh unplayably awkward now so retrogamers aren't keen on them :smith:. Midwinter (and its sequel) as well as Hunter and Armour-Geddon all had 3d open world sandboxes (to varying degrees of sandbox-ness). Midwinter and Hunter were actually good at the time though, unlike Armour-Geddon which was mostly just ambitious iirc.

Hunter! Thank you for saying that.
When people were talking about early sandbox games, that was the game that came to mind but I couldn't remember what it was called.
I played that on my A500 back in the day.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Like it isn't even directly Brexit, it's just Visa being greedy and upping their fees in the UK because they no longer are constrained by EU legislation (or depending how you look at it Amazon being greedy because they are unwilling to just eat the additional cost).

Amazing that so many people thought that things would somehow be cheaper when companies were no longer restricted by things like roaming charges, or transaction fees.

Also don't get sick on holiday now because EU health insurance is no longer a thing for you.

How is that not Brexit related? Brexit meant that Britian didn't have to abide by the EU's cap on Interchange fees.
As a result of not being constrained, as you correctly pointed out, Visa raised their fees and Amazon are to cheap to absorb the cost.

Like it may not have been a direct consequence of Brexit and arguably the people who voted to Leave didn't vote for their Visa bills to go up. But it is a clear indirect consequence of Brexit and the UK Government not having a proper deal in place.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

The Queen is now not doing any public engagements until February

She is just entering a new phase.

https://twitter.com/JurassicArse/status/1461104266664361987?t=MQBlZFW3VwN3ZPc3ZtDk8A&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.

Just to circle back to this, I'm not 100% sure the Euro is bad.
Now granted this is based on my limited secondary school study of economics, but one of the strengths of the Euro was to tie member states economy together.
IE, you don't let one country tank their economy, because it would have even more of a knock-on effect to it's neighbours than normal.
Now whether that is completely true is a matter for more experts.
But it seems to me the fact that the UK was never in the Euro meant they were never as invested in staying in the EU as other countries. Maybe Brexit wouldn't have happened if the notion of massive currency changes had to happen. (Or alternatively the Farages of the world would have campaigned for it on the basis of "get the pounds back".)

The flip side of this is if Ireland was still using the Punt, I am not convinced that the rest of the EU would be as willing to go to the mat for Ireland in all the Brexit negotiations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are a few politics related people called finkelstein and I can never remember which is which.

I think there is a daniel finkelstein who is a twat, but I vaguely have an association that norman finkelstein is the old frizzy haired guy who looks a bit like that guy off the chemistry youtube videos and he's like an old left kinda guy?

E: looked up norman and no it's not the guy I am thinking of. But daniel yes is a tory peer and journo, mega twat.

Maybe you have him mixed up with comedian turned politician, Al Franken?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

No but I did think that al franken was black which is apparently not the case.

Are you thinking of the Reverand Al Sharpton?

(This is just going to turn into this Penny Arcade strip.)

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/02/04/linguaphiles-unite

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

A strange way for her to rationalise about her inability to be a parent?

Parenting is a difficult long term job/vocation, one that i decided not to go for as it's too damned hard.

So my wife and I had a baby in June, and even though this is my third daughter, it's the first baby that I've been able to bring home and raise full time.
One of the many things you learn when you do this that no one tells you about before hand is that parenting isn't a job or a calling or anything like that.
It is taking your life and just increasing the difficulty like it was a computer game. You have to look after this child, learn a bunch of new skills and languages and tasks and everything AND do all your old life stuff.
And if you want to cut corners, you can only cut out old life stuff.

It's so tough*. I love my new baby and I am so happy we did this, but there are lots of challenging times.
The idea of sending your child back because it is too much infuriates me, particularly as a parent who lost one child to stillbirth and hardly gets to see my other child due to the relationship breakdown with my-ex.

Edit: Having read the Times Article posted which gives more details I'm not sure.
The article has her make her points about how the was a difficult but reasoned decision that is designed to make you sympathise with her.
But at the same time, it's just a bit too deferential for me to be sure that we aren't getting a self serving story. On the face of it, if the boy was getting better in the structured home environment during Lockdown, wouldn't you try to keep him in that over cutting him loose and back into the Foster care system?

In the absence of more evidence, I think this article is more about the author wanting people to feel sorry for her (with a little bit of education about the Foster care system) than it is telling their story.

* = Something that is controversial but all the social welfare/tax benefits that families with children get are well earned and probably should be increased. You aren't a bad person if you decide not to have children, but you are a good person if you do have children and raise them right.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 30, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I don't think that's controversial from a left wing perspective; raising a child is expensive. What's lovely is when it's used to divide people into deserving and undeserving recipients of welfare, but I think everyone here knows that it's the people that try to foment that divide that are at fault.

I'm not sure about that. I can remember last year (during the height of the Pandemic) this thread going into a derail about whether it was moral or not to have children with the Pandemic going on. (And the associated argument of "if you want children so bad, just adopt one. There is millions of them out there and it's better for the environment than creating more." Which really strikes me as taking arguments about should you get a puppy and doing a Find/Replace dog with child.)
And occasional I have seen people here get angry about politicians using "I am a parent" as a sign of competence for decision making, saying that parents and traditional families are shown too much deference by the current system.

However I think in some cases it is posters showing trauma from having been endlessly questioned about "when you are having children? What do you mean you aren't?"

People shouldn't be made feel like they owe a duty or an expectation to have kids. But on the flip side, those who do decide to have children should be lauded and given as much support as needed.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 30, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Your benefit is the gift of sleep, oh how I miss it

We are blessed with a little angel baby who decided that she wanted to sleep through the night at the 2 and a half month mark.
When I say this to other mums and dads, I get this look like "you don't realize how good you got it."
(In fairness I do still remember how bad it was in the early days of trying to operate on no sleep. Driving on the motorway and realizing that I was falling asleep while driving still haunts my dreams.)

But yeah the ultimate benefit that non parents get is they don't have to deal with all the stuff parents deal with. (Sleepless nights, constant screaming, having to do endless washing of clothes/disinfecting of bottles/soothers/nipper shields.)

It's like that bit from the Council of Reed Richards in Fantastic Four. "The cost of Fixing Everything, is everything*."

*= To sum it up for non nerds, a cross Multiverse group of Reed Richards get together to solve all the Universes problems. The 616 Reed is offered to join. He discovers that how all these alternate universe Reeds have to time to fix all the Universes problems is they all are estranged from their families. 616 decides that is too high a price even to fix the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

peanut- posted:

I've had somewhat more sympathy for hirers recently after I put a job ad out two weeks ago and got 112 applicants. Where the gently caress do you begin with 112 CVs? It ends up just being a massive exercise of "no, no, no" without any realistic possibility of offering any feedback as to why.

So this reminds me of a story.
Years ago, I worked for a certain tabloid newspaper that wishes to remain nameless*.
I was put on a story about a Circus that was in town and asked to report it, write the story and then run the competition for giving away tickets to the circus.**
I was put in charge of distributing the tickets. Since all you had to do to enter was send in a post card or letter with your name and address we got hundreds to applicants. I adopted a very simple qualifying practice.
If I could read your hand writing easily, you won the tickets.
If I couldn't, you lost.

Basically anyone with fancy cursive hand writing or doctors style signatures = loser.
Anyone who wrote in block capital or in a childlike scrawl that was legible = Winner.

* = Feel free to speculate.

** = This was my favourite part of the story.
Editor: Hey The Question. Go call up this Circus and do a story about them. And ask them for some free tickets so we can run a competition for it on the front page.
Me: (at the end of the interview.) Thank you for answering my questions. My boss wanted me to ask could we get a couple of free tickets to give away to our readers.
Ringmaster: (who inexplicably sounds like a cartoon clown in this telling of the story) Sure! How about 100 pairs of tickets?
Me: Hey boss, that Circus gave us 100 free tickets?
Editor: That can't be right, no one is that generous. Call them back to confirm. Now if you excuse me, It's the early 2000's, I have to go back to hacking mobile phones.***
Me: Sorry my boss wants me to confirm the number of free Circus tickets. It was 100, right?
Ringmaster: That's right. 100 pairs of tickets. So 200 tickets.

*** = They didn't say this.