Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok friends get ready for a good one from universal credit.

Sent on a load of additional information, after they had received a work capability assessment form, to the health advisory service in Nottingham.

It’s been two weeks, they say they didn’t receive it and I’m to send it in again.

The tracking information would indicate that this is A Lie.

I tell them who it was for signed by.

Oh what do you know the caseworkers direct number and an email which we are all told does not exist to mail a pdf to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I cannot imagine how hard this is for people without an appointee.

If you can get one then do so, basically they come round your house and decide if you are capable of dealing with your own benefits. If they agree you can’t then you can pick an appointee who is interviewed and given the role. That person is for all intent and purposes is now you when it comes to the DWP.

From that point on they are calling themselves liars if anyone tries to claim you are able to work and you both get put in a completely different category.

I doubt UC will allow it but with PIP I was the one doing the capability assessment over the phone.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whenever I think of Lowtax I will remember that he *told* everyone he got banned from Twitter for arguing with some Fash called Baked Alaska

When the reality was he got banned for sending pictures of dog dicks to many many random women who disagreed with him

Including a trans friend of mine completely unconnected with the site and who had no idea who he was, which is why there was a posting gap with me,

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do research into fiction as a hobby these days and this may be relevant to some people here.

Trans friends. If you like detective fiction and audiobooks the dearly departed Gwendolyn Butler John Coffin books are free to members. She was revolutionary in her open LGBT+ acceptance in fiction and even wrote a book addressing her acceptance of trans people, explicitly exploring Stella and John’s positive feelings* towards trans women.

I mean the books are incredibly dark at times but the author likes you.

*that sentence makes more sense if you know the books

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Isn't this just reading books?

Lol no.

Right so, think of all those mills and boon style romance books you see by the box load on markets.

That’s how popular detective fiction was in the 1940s, but like all those market boxes they were printed on poor paper and destined to be read once or twice and then burned. But because publishers didn’t keep copies of everything they printed for posterity there are incredibly popular books that sold hundreds of thousands which simply don’t exist today. It’s crazy, best sellers by people like Francis Vivian and the Radfords are just gone.

So a lot of what I do is hunt down books.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jacksbrat posted:

But if they can't sanction people for refusing to do sex work because it violates their bodily autonomy, it's a small step to people refusing to do heavy manual labour or other work that wrecks your body and/or organs. God forbid.

I had one face to face interview with UC woman, within 10 minutes she had clearly decided my incredibly disabled son was acting. Red flags went up when she started talking about how he would go on courses designed to get the disabled back into work. I contacted social services worker to “holy poo poo what the gently caress just happened” about 9 seconds after I left the job centre .

Two weeks later I find out that in the interim she had been fired.

She didn’t put us though for a work capability assessment, and as it turns out deleted all the stuff saying I was his appointee from the system. I had a hard copy anyway so it just all got added back on by new guy.

All it takes is one evil oval office, just one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And the govt expect people to trust an all-digital system :( when anyone with the right password and a personal agenda can do that.
I wonder how 'they' got on to her to fire her instead of giving her a big bonus.

Serious answer:

She very proudly told me how she had worked in job centres for 38 years.

In a job I know for a fact you need 4 GCSEs to do, promotion is automatic, and where you regularly get offered early retirement. Because I used to work for the civil service and would have been her superior in job rank at 19.

They knew she was terrible, they have known she was terrible for 38 years BUT unless you openly gently caress up it’s impossible to get fired from the civil service with the contract she would have had. My theory is she got more and more malicious until she crossed some automatic line for number of sanctions in the system that flagged her

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Red Oktober posted:

It’s astounding by design? that an individual can just delete notes with no backup or even just an audit log to show “it said this and now it says that”.

The home office are recruiting for apprenticeships in the new immigration squads right now and the blurb says “must have a robust personality”

Same energy as UC.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sometimes I randomly remember that the home office apprenticeship mini was matched with had zero qualifications needed but “must have a robust personality”

and now you do too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m remembering all those Twitter arguments I had with a smug guardian journo and then his mate from the independent who well actualled at me over the eastern leg of HS2, when I pointed out that if you demolish and build over everything there is to be demolished and built over to build the loving M1 then there is no space for an additional major railway line left.

The actual reality of the Chesterfield to Sheffield section, including the maintenance line, meant it had to cross the M1 4 times, and either bring in tunnelling equipment or trains that could fly - and that’s just geography, not mentioning the hundreds of council flats, predominantly lived in by elderly people which would be demolished to “bring more work into the area”.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CGI Stardust posted:

"Bug Squash" :ohdear: please be gentle with that little one

I think that’s one of the killer ones you are supposed to squash isn’t it? Like they eat other Ladybugs and not greenfly?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Loooooolll

Audible sale by best sellers

Books about Churchill x 5
Eddie Izzard x 3

And right at the arse end…
Peter Hitchens bitching that THEY won’t let you talk about Churchill anymore

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My niece's 5 yrs old daughter has apparently got that.

It wasn’t named that at the time but my son had it until he was about 6 and the food therapy started to work.

He put himself on a feeding tube in the hospital when the only sippy cup he would drink out of broke, which forced them to take me seriously.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
from the Victorian industrial era onwards till after the Second World War: If you were rich you got sent to a special home, if you were poor in a city you lived till you got your first illness and then no one really tried to save you.

Rural areas were much much better with people with learning difficulties, so far as any poor person was treated well - they would be put in with grandparents if the LD was very severe, but mostly they went to work at “the big house”. Plenty of menial repetitive work for all genders to do, in the grounds or in the kitchens.

Where it got really bad was the Edwardian era and the upper classes obsession with eugenics, if you were rich you were absolutely abandoned in a home in case people found out that your blood was “tainted”, in the Victorian era that stigma wasn’t there so the homes were more of a respite service than a permanent thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
it really was only from the Edwardian era onwards where disabilities were seen as shameful because of the whole eugenics thing, both in Christianity and Islam people with learning disabilities were traditionally treated better than anyone else by the church because they are seen as free of sin - this still stands in Muslim countries today.

This was an age of TB polio and smallpox where anyone could find themselves disabled.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

I said it before but before you qualify as a journalist you should be sent off to some suitably oppressive hellhole and asked to write something nasty about the local big man.

If you survive you pass.

Hard mode for distinction - write something nice about Jaromy Croblyn.

Still remembering that time some tiny local paper got awarded the Pulitzer Prize for editorials and not the lovely one for tiny local papers for exposing a scandal where pollutants were being released into the local water supply by people with links to the big seed industry and petrochemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know a man who once got banned from the daily telegraph comments section for racism, then got banned from the daily Mail online comments section for the same thing .

He ended up on some discord server called something like “censored by the daily telegraph”

It is honestly hard to describe how racist this guy was in real life, but being banned by the daily Mail for going too far is a clue.