Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Sometimes, if I have too much butter on the knife after spreading my toast, I put it back in the tub even if it has toast crumbs all in it.

This is why you are an international pariah state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Z the IVth posted:

On the plus side if it's ever enforced it'll kill Twitter.

Hm, hard to say that it's a bad law then

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

It used to weird me out how many people getting a modest golden parachute are now raising sheep.

... but the more I age, the more I get it.

quote:

Found a text file at work titled "Why should I quit my job and become a goat farmer? (written during my "on-call" week)"
  • You don't have to monitor the utilization on a goat.
  • Milk a goat and the goat stays milked for a while.
  • There are no 32-bit goats.
  • You don't have to do a demo on a goat. And if you ever do, the goat will do what it's supposed to do and there's not a lot that can keep it from doing it.
  • When a goat goes "down", you just bury it and buy a new goat.
  • Left alone, Billy goats and Nanny goats do what they're supposed to do. You don't need to format them, monitor them, be on-call for them, step, trace or inspect registers.
  • Nobody cares if you're not a Certified Goat Engineer yet.
  • Kill a goat to make a goat steak, and the goat stays dead.
  • Most people will take advice from a goat farmer on how to paint a fence, cook a steak, fix a tractor, etc. but most people somehow just don't want to hear it from a computer weenie.
  • Nobody can lie in a job interview about their goat experience.
  • Goats don't page you.
  • When it comes to "software" (food), EVERYTHING is compatible with a goat.
  • You don't need to buy a "goat 98" to fix all the bugs in your goat 95
  • You can tell whether a goat has been "debugged" by looking at it.
  • Goats don't become obsolete. If they do, as long as you didn't neuter them, they make the necessary upgrades themselves.
  • No commute.
  • Goats are kind of cute. Computers aren't cute unless they're Macintoshes, and those are just plain annoying.
  • No dress code. Of any kind. EVER.
  • You always have the right "file permissions" to milk a goat.
  • If a goat gives too many timeout errors, or does not avail you resources for your session, or if performance is generally slow for your applications on your goat, it just means you're having goat steak for dinner.
  • You don't need to visit "shareware dot com" to get some tools to milk a goat. You either have your bucket or you don't.
  • The bucket leaks, or it doesn't. You do not need to ask a network if you're still the owner of the bucket. You do not need to run a bucket compare against a copy you made of the bucket previously You couldn't care less about the checksum of the bucket.
  • You don't need to "free up some megs" before you milk a goat.
  • You get callouses on your hands - the way God intended!
  • You don't need to call a staff meeting to make sure everyone's milking goats the same way.
  • Nanny goats, with no TCP/IP stack loaded, and no DLC, still give milk.
  • Just about any barnyard animal is fault tolerant (except some cows).
  • You don't need to sign in with the front desk if you need to milk a goat on a weekend. You don't need to use a badge to open a front gate. If you find an empty coffee pot burning on the machine on a Saturday, you just yell at your wife.
  • You don't need to worry if you've been spending a lot of time milking what you will later find out to have been an improperly labelled "development goat".
  • There is no such thing as a "preferred goat," and your "goat context" is always correct. Passwords do not exist and your milking/slaughtering account will never be disabled because of intruder detection.
  • Carpal tunnel is guaranteed. Don't worry about it.
  • A goat has all the "patches" it will ever need. If it doesn't it just means you're having goat steak for dinner.
  • Goats that become full do an automatic "core dump" but they take care of getting themselves reset and on-line. You just have to clean up. You do not need to worry about defragmenting or compressing the goat. The goat does not have to be zipped, archived or converted to Goat-32.
  • As long as the stable hasn't caught fire, a goat couldn't care less about a power surge.
  • Goats don't have to be backed up at night.
  • Each and every one of the parts of a goat use the same interrupt, and the goat works just fine anyway.
  • A goat is a goat is a goat.
  • You don't EVER restart a goat. You do shut them down sometimes and it's the first step in many of your recipes.
  • Nobody ever needed to draft up a goat-milking requirements document.
  • You deliver applications to goats. Goats do not deliver applications to you.
  • A goat will do practically anything do get more comfortable. Computers have been known to display the same error message over and over again, all day, without regard to how frequently or how hard the monitor has been hit, slapped, punched or kicked.
  • You don't have to log off of a goat and listen to some silly "Exit Goat" sound effect for the next several minutes.
  • You won't find out from your next phone bill that you milked your goat too much for your budget.
  • On a goat, the SYS$ERR.LOG file is ALWAYS EMPTY.
  • Operating systems come & go, but goats will probably never be "orphaned" as they are expected to be produced by their manufacturer for quite some time to come.
  • There are no workstation licensing issues with goats.
  • You don't get in trouble for milking a goat during business hours, and nobody cares if you reformat it.
  • If it's late and you have a lot of goat-milking to do, at least you can see your kids before they have to go to bed. You can probably even make them help you milk your goats.
  • You don't need 32 megs of RAM to get started milking your goat.
  • Goat security is applied completely, thoroughly, and with all the features you'll ever need, using a stake and a rope.
  • Nobody ever got a general protection fault milking a goat.
  • You don't need to worry about your whole goat herd locking up if you put an ethernet goat and a token-ring goat together in the same stable.
  • You don't name goats. If you do name goats, you can give two or more goats the same name and this will not interfere with your ability to access any of the goats.
  • Your kids will not meet some pervert who wants to buy them a bus ticket when they play with a goat.
  • There is no closely-watched dispute between Microsoft and any competitor, over who will dominate the goat-milking product industry. You will probably never be asked to check-mark a box that says, Make this my default goat-milking bucket.
  • You do not want, need, or desire in any way for goats to run at a higher clock speed. And they don't.
  • You do not need to use a wrist strap to ground yourself before milking, and there's never a need to put your goat in a little plastic baggie. Unless making goat steak
  • There really aren't too many ways to improperly shut down a goat.
  • Surrounded by a room full of younger goat farmers, you don't need to worry about dating yourself talking about 300-baud or 4.7-Mhz goats.
  • y2k.
  • You do not need to buy anything to "uninstall" a goat. Maybe a gun or a knife.
  • Once you've filled a bucket with goat milk, the goat can crash and it doesn't matter whether you've "saved" or not. Just don't spill.
  • When you buy a new goat, the goat does not need to re-write registry keys on the farm that could have unforeseen effects on the other animals already residing there.
  • There are no easter eggs in a goat.
  • Your wife will never yell at you for removing all of the RAM from her goat.
  • You never need to learn Goat 2000, Goat Perfect 8, or Goat 123
  • You don't need an Internal IPX Address to boot a Goat.
  • Goats don't need a per-bucket license.
  • You will never spend 4 hours upgrading a goat over the wire.
  • There is no Goat Ops.
  • Goats follow upgrade procedures.
  • Goats eat org charts.
  • If a goat gets an uncleanable virus, you shoot it.
  • If a goat has a non-terminal virus it just does the poo-poo.
  • Goats don't need pagers and never get a 'please advise'.
  • Goats don't have to worry about whether or not it's Calcomp.
  • A goat farmer doesn't care if people can't remotely access his herd.
  • No MHN Goat herd.
  • No one gives a rat's rear end if the goats aren't talking to each other.
  • Ever heard of a proprietary goat?
  • No goat analysis meetings.
  • No goat control meetings.
  • No meetings.
  • Goats will never need service pack 4.
  • No DS problems at GOATADRIVE.
  • You gently caress the goat, he doesn't gently caress you and the whole department.
  • A goat might bite you in the rear end, but he won't gently caress you.
  • gently caress Y2K.
  • Goats don't ever ask stupid questions.
  • Goats don't drive technology dollars away from your automobile lusts.
  • If a goat takes a "dump" in the middle of the night, you take care of it when you drat well feel like it.
  • Nobody will fire you for connecting "diskless goats" into a "goat server" when they think you should have purchased a massive mainframe goat to connect to a multitude of inexpensive "dumb goats".
  • ISO is not publishing any standards about how you should be farming your goats.
  • Counting from zero instead of one, doesn't apply to anything goat farmers do and looks stupid. Hexadecimal is unheard of.
  • When you sell a goat, you don't need to export it to a format that will be understood by the buyer's ancient goat-reading software.
  • All your stuff will still work when you buy your 100th goat, and your 256th goat, and your 65,536th goat...
  • People don't walk up to goat farmers at parties and whine about how they just got a French Alpine and don't know how to milk it.
  • Nobody can go through your goat and get you in trouble for what they find in there.
  • You don't have to administer a "user acceptance test" when you deliver goat cheese.
  • You don't need any special utilities to delete a goat that is not empty.
  • You don't need or want goats on your desktop, or shortcuts to goats on your desktop. Most goat farmers don't have desktops.
  • Nothing a goat farmer does requires a mouse. If you have mice you get a cat.
  • Goat farmer error messages: Goat not found; Goat dead; Goat not awake; Too soon after last milking; Billy goat detected. That's about all. You don't need silly numbers for these, and you don't need to look them up anywhere or check them out at goat.com.
  • There are no read-only oats. There are no hidden or system goats.
  • You don't need to mail anyone a core dump from a goat to fix a problem. The only time you would do this is to CAUSE a problem.
  • A goat that doesn't know what time it is will work just fine.
  • A goat that is not Y2K compliant will simply think it's not Y2K. This is doesn't even require documentation.
  • If your spouse doesn't authorize the purchase of a new goat, you simply encourage your goats to make one from existing parts.
  • A goat doesn't have enough fingers to press <shift><Shift><Ctrl><Alt><Esc>
  • Goats don't argue about it being another goats problem. They just kick each others rear end.
  • If a goat had to document every time it took a poo poo, we would be out of forests.
  • Goats don't give a poo poo about email.
  • The only way a goat can deliver an 'application' is through it's rear end.
  • Goats can't get there benefits revoked they are just made into goat steaks for dinner.
  • A goat farmer doesn't have to provide documentation on his goat's ablility to produce milk after the year 2000.
  • GoatEng.
  • Macintosh goat users will not make fun of you because your goat is more problematic & complicated than the goat they just bought.
  • Goat farmers who voted for Perot have pretty much the same type of goat as everyone else, so they can go back to arguing about politics like they were doing before 1984.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Junior G-man posted:

A day late due to *antics* but your weekly UKMT-podspawn is out just now:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1459162194495651847?s=20

Congratulations for getting noticed by Ian Miles Cheong because of that Josh Sawyer episode btw. :v:

(a very good episode)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

big scary monsters posted:

I've not been following this so I want to see if I understand correctly after a bit of reading.

NI more or less got to stay in the EU single market by continuing to follow EU product rules. rUK was obviously out of that, but there was a grace period before normal border checks would come in for stuff going from rUK to NI. Now that's ending and the UK wants to continue to avoid border checks in NI, but the EU says that's not going to work because then they end up with non-conforming goods in the EU because you can't have a border in Ireland. They could live with fewer checks, if the UK agrees to follow EU product rules and share its tracking paperwork. The UK says, we can't allow a border between rUK and NI (although effectively one already exists), we're going to pull out of this whole drat deal, see if we don't. Now I guess some diplomats get to sit down in Brussels and hash out a compromise that lets the Tories save a bit of face while basically agreeing to the EU's demands?

Well, not quite, because the border in the Irish sea was negotiated by the UK. They wanted it. They had no intention of actually adhering to the things they signed, but they did sign.

Additionally, Article 16 doesn't allow the UK to disapply the protocol, it's a button that leads to further talks in a committee. However, as it is being threatened in extremely bad faith the US are getting ornery. All the inflammatory rhetoric and the shifting of goal posts isn't good for peace on the island of Ireland, and the US is invested in the Good Friday Agreement.

The "agree to everything the EU says but make it look like a compromise" is pretty accurate though. The EU doesn't mind that NI is slowly being pulled towards the ROI by having that sweet taste of the common market, and the TCA is heavily weighted in the EU's favour as well…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

smellmycheese posted:

What the DUP and the UKGov don’t want to admit is that things are actually working well here.

I was under the impression that the protocol working well is the problem for them. The better NI looks with its access to the EU's market, the worse it looks for Brexiteers.

Which is hosed if you think about it for a few seconds, but also extremely funny.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Breaking News: Thing that was known to happen has come to pass.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

She's being embalmed on her throne and kept alive my machines and through human sacrifice, I reckon.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

See also for reference this handy chart:

e: I admire whoever made that chart. I aspire to drop a chart like this in a presentation one day and immediately end all discussion because The Chart just explained everything.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 18, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Junior G-man posted:

Brand-new shiny UKMT-adjacent pod just dropped. I finally got to do the UK farming episode I've wanted to do for a while; it's going the same way as the fishing industry. So, good news!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1461381849612263424?s=20

It took me several minutes until I no longer misheard "microflats" as "microflaps" and I was extremely, horribly confused.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

As if Poland would let them in.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

His Divine Shadow posted:

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.

That's a funny opinion to have considering creating the Euro was a price Germany had to pay for reunification and was pushed by France.

Also, the Euro is good, actually. Always keep in mind that the EU was formed as a peace project from the start with economics coming second. One of its goals is the erasure of internal borders, which conveniently put several smoldering border conflicts to rest (see also: NI before Brexit…). Not having to worry about exchanging money is a serious boon for anyone who travels across borders or does any kind of commerce across borders.

The real problem with the Euro is the lack of a proper political union to drive a coherent monetary policy…

e: s/weird/funny/

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 20, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

feedmegin posted:

How is that a weird opinion?

Sorry, I used the word wrong. I just found it amusing because of how many attempts to reign Germany in have backfired.

Though I do think it achieved at least one objective, which is that Germany doing anything aggressive signs its own economic death warrant.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Presented unironically

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Hold on what's wrong with buying groceries for two weeks? Surely that's better than driving down there every other day to pick up one loaf of bread and three bananas?

If the place where you live wasn't built by absolute cretins you have a supermarket in walk or bike distance and can get fresh food every few days without moving several tons of metal around.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Loads of rural places are miles from shops and no public transport.

I know, because they were built by absolute cretins.

Before the car those places didn't starve. It is only since car-centric design destroyed both rural and urban landscapes that car ownership became mandatory.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When they were built, hundreds of years ago in some cases, there were local shops or farms where you could go buy stuff

Exactly. Then with the advent of car-centric infrastructure all these shops were destroyed in favour of far-away centralised shopping. Those shops aren't economical now because of deliberate planning decisions made by absolute tossers.

If people used cars less (and if planners encoured less car-centric design) only the tiniest and most isolated villages wouldn't be able to support a local supermarket and bakery. And statistically speaking, absolutely nobody lives in those tiny villages.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I would quite like a job as a planet designer I admit, like capability brown except bigger and worse.

I never quite got the conceit that everyone just offs themselves after a few hundred years though, for one thing I think my brain would just get full and start overwriting the old memories so it seems unlikely I would get bored.

Now, I'm not Banks greatest fan or anything, but…

There's a book (tangentially) about one of those guys who decided to just keep living. It's a bit wild. Not coincidentally, it's also the book where someone decides to graft as many penises as possible onto his body to have sex with as many people as possible at the same time. (And goes into detail into how despite several additional hearts it's hard to keep them erect)

The books are generally :smith: as gently caress because there are trillions of people just out of frame having an eternal party, while the protagonist is literally getting decapitated or perforated in botched missions. I think they are still broadly optimistic though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh, dude who refuses to die just spends years in the body of a whale just to see what it's like and seems generally pretty happy. But it's hard to craft a story around someone who is just happy with no conflict. Pretty much all stories involve some kind of conflict that gets resolved in the end.

And I very much reject the notion that Banks was one of those authors. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can't you just get the lads together and spark the communist revolution already

Looks to me like they're going for a conservative revolution instead.