Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
If you have chosen a standard variable green energy tariff Ofgem has exempted from the cap, you are.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you

This is what I got when my supplier collapsed though

Shell Energy posted:

Your new energy tariff
You’re moving onto our standard variable tariff, which includes 100% renewable electricity* as standard. The average price of this tariff, based on a medium-sized UK household, using Ofgem’s national average consumption rates, is £1,277 per year†.
This is the cheapest tariff we have available, given today’s wholesale costs. This tariff is protected by Ofgem’s price cap and rates are fixed until 1 April 2022, when the price cap will be revised. This tariff has no exit fees.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

It was tough in the trenches wasn't it pal? I know how you feel. With the gas and the bullets coming over. I remember we were getting a helicopter out from a mission one time and my mate, who we all thought was dead, came running out of the woods with Germans chasing after him, shot full of bullets. He fell to his knees as we flew over him. I'll never forget his face. He'd be proud to see you in that jacket today, proper respectful. Anyway, I'm off in to get some fanta so you stay strong for all the other boys out there. I'd put 20p in your pot but I left my wallet in the car.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fabricant doesn't have a choice about the hair - he lost a very serious forfeit and it was either the wig or accept banishment

I thought it was a firmware setting that you can't change without a special usb adaptor cable that only Tyrell dealers have.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Is there anywhere mainstream articulating any ideas for a better way to fund our politics, or is this going to go the same way as everything else where we have two weeks of angry headlines and then chicken out of making meaningful change?
It's like the Panama/Paradise/Pandora papers- we're no longer surprised to learn that it's happening. What would be surprising is anything being done to stop it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I read somewhere yesterday that the wholesale gas prices have halved since last month from $300 per something (can't remember what!) to about $160 per something, so no telling what the energy companies might do.

It has dropped significantly and the price of futures contracts has too, but the sting is that the energy firms that have picked up customers during the market collapse will get reimbursed for the cost of doing so. They are paid by a tariff that'll be applied to next year's bills. So even if prices go back to normal, we'll all have to pay (number of customers of failed firms)*(cost of all their gas while it was more expensive than the price cap)/(number of customers in the gas market) extra.

Kin posted:

Any idea what you're going to do? According to Martin Lewis all of the fixed rates, even from Octopus, are likely to be higher than the price cap, so it's better to just fall into the variable rate. Though someone here said that the price cap isn't applicable to renewable energy.
It is applicable, unless you've specifically chosen a tariff it isn't applicable to.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Accusing someone of being drunk can be libellous unless you can satisfy a judge that they were actually drunk.
Newspapers will describe a public figure as "tired and irritable" when they are caught urinating against their own wheelie bin at 3am.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1459136193162063872?t=26YXW0yTjCTQ84K9fhh_nw&s=19
A Japanese advisor would commit seppuku, this guy just keeps posting self-owns

These Domdom screeds are interesting in a cheese-dream sort of way but he does pick up on an interesting point that's been absent so far in the reporting of the second jobs scandal. When our prime minister was a humble MP he got a £275k a year salary to write an occasional column for the Telegraph. Whether that was within the rules or not is a side point. Nobody's asking the real question about what exactly was being bought and sold for all that money.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Anyone want to open a book on which news item silences the parliamentary grifting scandal?
It's looking like it could be any of [COP26 outcome], article 15 and Boris saves Christmas 2020 2021 in the running at the moment.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think nukes work the way you think they work. Nuclear-armed states have been at war with each other more or less constantly since 1945, they've just found ways of doing it at arms length to pretend they're not fighting each other to get the nukes involved. It's not like there's a Dead Hand that's programmed to unleash 500 megatons at us the moment it detects residue of Biscuits Brown in Sevastopol.

Of course not. Whether they're in the Crimea or the colon, it's Biscuits Fruit that trigger armageddon.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

peanut- posted:

I never know if this account is real news or not, but holy poo poo if it is. Someone was seriously going to blow up a maternity hospital?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1460006875815161858

This nation owes a debt of gratitude to everyone whose misbehaviour forced taxis to become rolling prisons.
Wear your vomit stains with pride, "cleaning surcharge" dodgers.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I assume that the entire shad cab is on a hair trigger to get the thoughts and prayers out ASAP because that's Proper Grown Up Politics, making sure you get the right magic words said as soon as possible.

Don't they know there's a machine for that now? No need to get it wrong trying to do them yourself. 20p per thought/prayer

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

Amazing just did my regular self flaggelation by reading the daily mail website and they've done an article about the property value of the suicide bombers bedsit.

Evil housing market rewards terrorist!
First the woke brigade demand prisoners can buy lottery tickets, then this suicide bomber makes £30,000 while blowing himself up. This politically correct madness must stop! Join our crusade to cancel the housing market writes Vanessa Feltz.

Something like that?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It's hilarious. Leadership changes in the "we're bastards but at least we're competent" party always turn out like a knife fight in a phone box. I guess it's because they run a strong managed democracy for the formal selection process, so when there's a rumour of instability everyone has a brief opportunity to toxify their rivals so the 1922 committee can't select them as a candidate. Then there's that awkward period where they all pretend to ally with someone whose drink problem they were just anonymously briefing about.

It's a shame to see Gove go down so early, but also a kindness. He showed strong form in 2019 and even made it to the finals, but this time round he's got too much baggage with the ex-wife. He's a liability these days.
Sunak's keeping his powder dry but that's a smart move. Staying on the inside he can spike or support any desperate policy announcements and bargain for more control if Johnson remains in. He'd be on the last helicopter out if Johnson fell, but that'd look like loyalty. He has plenty of time left to do a quick lap of the back benches before displacing a continuity candidate and leading the party into the 2024 election.
Hunt could be one to watch. He's been too quiet of late. Comes across as managerial and a well turned out not-Boris. Bit of a dishrag, but then he's up against Starmer so no risk there.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Worth a read if you want to revel in the upcoming self-destruction of The Thing In No 10

John Crace piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/17/empty-benches-at-pmqs-amid-fury-at-johnsons-inability-to-do-one-job

Interesting that the conversation on second jobs is still framed around an acceptable limit of hours worked. It's a start, but paying an MP say £2291 per hour to write an article could sit happily within that rule while still being incredibly suspect behaviour.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Electricians are a good future proof pick. More and more things in life are switching over to electricity- EV charging, heat pumps and induction hobs are all recent developments in that direction.
In the same way that plumbers do everything that goes through pipes, sparkies will also often get asked to install anything that goes down a cable. Ours is wiring in Cat 6 and coax for the telly aerial at the same time as the 240v.

You can always go back to the permanent job if you don't like it?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
York always gets argy about access to the city centre at this time of year because the national barrier asset gets deployed to prevent vehicle attacks on the Christmas market like Berlin in 2016. It was a big doorstep issue in 2019 because of course people vote about local traffic management in a national election.
It fucks things up for traders who are only allowed access for short periods early in the day, locals because the barriers create chokepoints on pedestrian flow in really awkward places, mobility impaired users who are shut out for Christmas and terrorists because where are they going to go on the rampage now? loving Selby?

The smart solution would be to pedestrianise far more, pushing the perimeter out far enough that there's no crowding at entry points and you can allow vehicles up close to the barriers to drop people off. Then use the railway museum road train and a fleet of Zermatt style electric taxis, Scarborough's donkeys or some reindeer to ferry around the mobility impaired, overburdened shoppers and the pissed. You'd have to change delivery patterns in the city centre as well, but it's never not been a problem that every shop in town tries to unload an HGV between 8 and 9 in the morning.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Bug Squash posted:

Had a bit of a weird one yesterday. A couple of guys on electric scooters and balaclavas tried to mug me as I got out of my car near Riddrie as I was visiting Glasgow. They sped off once they realised I had a good grip on my bag and had at least half a foot over them, so they yelled at me like I was the rear end in a top hat in that situation. I don't think I've ever felt less threatened in my life.

I believe this behaviour is called a "Polmadian shot".

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Just Another Lurker posted:

"Parthian Shot"..... unless your sentence was meant for comedic effect? :confused:

Maybe I meant Partickan shot?

therattle posted:

Are even papers like the Mail and Express turning on them?

At the moment corruption + channel crossings = bad news coverage. If house prices went up 1% tomorrow all would be forgiven.
I do a low altitude flyby of the redtops every time I'm in the co-op and their headlines tend to be middle-england worldview issues driven whereas the broadsheets and the sun will spike stuff based on party allegiances. The speed with which the Mail/Express turn is amazing. It's like the Times/Telegraph/Graun all back a horse in the race, while the Mail knows it's not invited so it backs the veterinarian with a gun.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

Why do you think the healthy vegan martial arts practicing Falun Gong are so persecuted. Prime cuts.

Far more ethical to choose free range organs than battery farmed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Good mask use on the transpennine trains today and low crowding as well. With that and the quick contact tracing of the omicrons it almost feels like we might not gently caress it up on the... what is this now? Fourth attempt?