Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

slidebite posted:

I ended up ordering a Casper Select largely on a whim last night from Costco. It was way cheaper than a regular Casper from the Casper website and better reviewed. Also, Costco return policy is amazing on mattresses.

We bought one years ago that had like a 25 year warranty and after 5 it started to sag and my back was always sore. They just said to bring it in. 100% refund, zero problems. I felt kind of guilty doing it and would have been happy with something pro-rated but they insisted on a full refund. Customer for life on mattresses.... and most things from I can get from them after that.

I have bought two of the novaform from costco in the last year. Not firm enough for my liking but my wife and kid love them. It did break in and soften a little bit more on my side but I am a big guy.

Prior to that I had a tempurpedic celebrity, got 15 years out of it. Stored it last winter in an old house I own and it turned out the house had black mold and I threw it away. I bought a tempurpedic lux breeze in firm and its like a rock. I want out after 7 hours. It is nice and cool sleeping though. Way cooler than any of the foam ones I have slept on in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im so glad we banned our dog from sleeping on our bed. instant improvement on quality of sleep.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Dogs stay off the furniture. From day 1. Doc is only allowed on the couch in the shop. When he wants to be cuddly we’ll sit on the floor.

We have the super thick Novaform mattress from Costco; we got about 10 years out of the last one. I like a softer mattress as I’m a side sleeper and my shoulders are trashed.

Memory foam mattresses are also great for making super luxurious dog beds when they get replaced. We cut up our last one and made several dog beds for friends and Doc. He now has his own 12” thick memory foam bed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
We ended up buying a Layla cali-queen. It's been a good bed, we rotate it once a month. I definitely notice I sink into the foam @240lb. I would want something with more support if I were any heavier.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mattress chat in the US is always interesting because on my various visits there years back I would always encounter seemingly endless mattress ads on both TV and in the papers. People talk about big pharma but nobody seems to discuss how you lot get absolutely scammed with mattress prices.

I'd be interested to know what your IKEAs charge for theirs because them shits have a 25yr guarantee over here and they'll give you 90 days to try them too. I picked up one of their higher end memory foam/latex mattresses for about $300 and it's supremely comfortable several years down the line, what's the pricing like from your mattress scammers?

I just checked the ikea guarantee and it is 25 years but doesn't cover "normal wear and tear".

I have an ikea foam mattress which is now hosed as the foam has collapsed in the middle - but having just checked, the mattress which i thought was well under 10 years old is actually 14.5 years old and only cost me £120 - so i should probably just go spend £179 on a new one as I suspect this is pretty normal wear for 14 years of use!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

im so glad we banned our dog from sleeping on our bed. instant improvement on quality of sleep.

One of our cats kicked me out of best a few weeks ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We bought a Novaform Pearl ~something~ a few years ago from Costco and that sold me on memory foam beds. It's 14" thick and maybe feels a bit firm, but laying on it for a few minutes it gets nice. Cozy but supportive. They still sell them and I'd consider another for our guest room (they've even dropped $$ a bit), but everyone seems to love these Caspers and they're cheaper to boot so figured I'd give it a shot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

We bought a Novaform Pearl ~something~ a few years ago from Costco and that sold me on memory foam beds. It's 14" thick and maybe feels a bit firm, but laying on it for a few minutes it gets nice. Cozy but supportive. They still sell them and I'd consider another for our guest room (they've even dropped $$ a bit), but everyone seems to love these Caspers and they're cheaper to boot so figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a Casper and based on your description of the nova form I wish I had that! I am not sure if it was the mattress or the bed frame but there is a mismatch. The mattress is smaller than the frame and leaves a gap on the sides. Which looks terrible and I've whacked my knees on it standing at the side.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Boss was enough of a dick on Saturday that the dude from corporate strongly hinted he should go home, "we can handle everything, STR has a key.. we're good". He did, but took the keys to one van with him (and left the windows down). I've been dusting off my resume with plans to depart ASAP because of my boss.

We have an official Telegram group for drivers to communicate with dispatch. Got added to a new group today, noticed boss wasn't in it. And it was his boss that added me (then messaged me telling me I need to leave the old group - old boss was the only one with control over it, after all). Got back to the warehouse after work and the big boss (regional) was there. He confirmed he and my boss "mutually decided to part ways" (I consider that a very polite way to say "we fired him" without saying fired).

Then commented it's a shame he didn't have anyone to promote yet - everyone he has in mind has <6 months under their belts, and the company doesn't let him move anyone up until they have at least 6 months. Then asked me a lot of very direct questions about other coworkers (how they get along, morale, what I think we can do to keep more people from leaving, etc - we've lost 3 people in the past 2 weeks). It was a friendly chat, but I very much got a "I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of manglemer you'd be" vibe from the conversation. :allears: What I really appreciate about regional guy is he's extremely approachable, and just tells you the truth.

Maybe I shouldn't dust the resume off quite yet, now that the worst manager is gone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Boss was enough of a dick on Saturday that the dude from corporate strongly hinted he should go home, "we can handle everything, STR has a key.. we're good". He did, but took the keys to one van with him (and left the windows down). I've been dusting off my resume with plans to depart ASAP because of my boss.

We have an official Telegram group for drivers to communicate with dispatch. Got added to a new group today, noticed boss wasn't in it. And it was his boss that added me (then messaged me telling me I need to leave the old group - old boss was the only one with control over it, after all). Got back to the warehouse after work and the big boss (regional) was there. He confirmed he and my boss "mutually decided to part ways" (I consider that a very polite way to say "we fired him" without saying fired).

Then commented it's a shame he didn't have anyone to promote yet - everyone he has in mind has <6 months under their belts, and the company doesn't let him move anyone up until they have at least 6 months. Then asked me a lot of very direct questions about other coworkers (how they get along, morale, what I think we can do to keep more people from leaving, etc - we've lost 3 people in the past 2 weeks). It was a friendly chat, but I very much got a "I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of manglemer you'd be" vibe from the conversation. :allears: What I really appreciate about regional guy is he's extremely approachable, and just tells you the truth.

Maybe I shouldn't dust the resume off quite yet, now that the worst manager is gone.

Dust it off and keep it up to date just in case.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeahhhh update it anyway so it's easier down the line.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Always kept up to date, just don't always have copies printed on nice paper handy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

StormDrain posted:

I have a Casper and based on your description of the nova form I wish I had that! I am not sure if it was the mattress or the bed frame but there is a mismatch. The mattress is smaller than the frame and leaves a gap on the sides. Which looks terrible and I've whacked my knees on it standing at the side.

Funny you mention that, the Novaform is actually oversized dimensions compared to our standard queen foundation and overhangs a bit on all 4 edges, but mostly on the sides.. I'd say it's about 2" wider. Add that it is a 14"+ thick mattress, only a few sets of our sheets actually fit it and those that do are a snug fit.

From the little bit of research I did, the Casper from Costco is a Casper "Select" model, which is exclusively Costco sold (you can't even buy it from Casper), about 30% cheaper than a normal Caspers and those that have slept on both said the Select is a more comfortable mattress. But who knows, that's entirely personal preference I'm sure.

Mine did ship yesterday but it looks like I'm not going to see it until next Monday as it's 90lbs coming on a truck :(

I have no problem with the Novaform though. If the Casper sucks, I'll probably order another one of those.

e: Speaking of, what do you guys do with old mattresses? Our old one is approx 10 years old and it's certainly not bad - our guests really like it, no stains and super clean, but if I sleep on it (which I do from time to time) my back kills me the next day. I'd hate to just turf it but someone told me that most places don't take mattresses for donations?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 23, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

I have an ikea foam mattress which is now hosed as the foam has collapsed in the middle - but having just checked, the mattress which i thought was well under 10 years old is actually 14.5 years old and only cost me £120 - so i should probably just go spend £179 on a new one as I suspect this is pretty normal wear for 14 years of use!

14 years for £120 ain't bad going.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

slidebite posted:

e: Speaking of, what do you guys do with old mattresses? Our old one is approx 10 years old and it's certainly not bad - our guests really like it, no stains and super clean, but if I sleep on it (which I do from time to time) my back kills me the next day. I'd hate to just turf it but someone told me that most places don't take mattresses for donations?
You can cut up an old memory foam mattress and use the pieces to restuff couch cushions or make cushions for outdoor furniture.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, this isn't foam. It's pocket coils. I hate turfing something like this but :shrug:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yeah, this isn't foam. It's pocket coils. I hate turfing something like this but :shrug:

Facebook Marketplace but I probably wouldn't list it for free, list it for $50 and emphasize how clean it is then just don't take any money from who shows up

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I just got a Casper Select and it’s comfortable, it’s on the firm side but it’s a supportive firm not a hard firm. As a bigger (6’ 220) side sleeper it’s just about perfect. I went to Macy’s and tried the Caspers they had on display before going to Costco and the Select feels basically the same as the current Casper Original. I think the differences are mainly cosmetic.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 23, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can give them away, plenty of people could use a better mattress but can't afford one. They're starting to recycle those too - a place in the biggest town near me picks them up, flays all the foam and cloth off and recycles the steel. I think they recycle the fiber and foam too but I'm not sure how, I'd assume wash and then sort and turn it into carpet padding or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

I guess it depends on if you have a box spring or not.
My set up is a cheap walmart platform bed with a somewhat more expensive futon mattress on it that I slept on for like 15 years. I didn't have the heart to get rid of it, when I got my Douglas, so I just kept it and put the Douglas on top. If you've got a box spring then it would probably be too tall with all 3.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
November Chat!

How y’all doin? I have an Ecosa mattress. It’s ok. They were the only super king available in the mattress in a box in Australia at the time.

It’s. Fine. Is it better than a box spring? Probably not. A lot cheaper tho. And now I’m single it gives me a lot of room to move around.

I have been dating on and off for the past year and can I tell you I HATE it.

The best times I’ve had have been with friends. I’m always saying I’m done with dating and yet two weeks later I’m doing it again. Tonight I went out with a friend and we had the best time. But this weekend I’m off camping and I’m really looking forward to it! No reception, open fire cooking and maybe a chance to de-digitalise my brain.

Please don’t forget to drop past the AI:SS thread and vote for a charity. I’m hoping that even people who aren’t playing the Kris Kringle game will feel moved by the spirit of Scrooge and when we do select a charity, donate time, effort or money where appropriate

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slothrop posted:

I have been dating on and off for the past year and can I tell you I HATE it.

The best times I’ve had have been with friends. I’m always saying I’m done with dating and yet two weeks later I’m doing it again. Tonight I went out with a friend and we had the best time. But this weekend I’m off camping and I’m really looking forward to it! No reception, open fire cooking and maybe a chance to de-digitalise my brain.

dating absolutely loving sucks. I hate being set up without my knowledge by my friends (happened at a party this week), and I've worked out that the apps feel the same to me - a rushed setup with too much expectation and not enough knowledge.

I have enjoyed making new friends this year without the pressures of dating - a few new people I quite like and want to hang out with more.

Slothrop have you still got that amazing moustache?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Not slothrop for the record, but I just shaved my mustache after having it a full year. Longest run I've kept the same facial hair I think. Worth it just to have people tell me I look younger for a week.

I was up at 6am heating up the smoker. Should be illegal on my day off. It's a lot of fun though.

My responsibilities today are bread, stuffing, butternut squash, smoked turkey and leg of lamb with gravy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I can't be bothered to Thanksgiving this year. I'm enjoying not having spent all week preparing and not being in the kitchen all day today. I'll miss biscuits, stuffing, green bean casserole, candied sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie but I've gained like 20lbs during the pandemic and don't need 5 more.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Galler posted:

I can't be bothered to Thanksgiving this year. I'm enjoying not having spent all week preparing and not being in the kitchen all day today. I'll miss biscuits, stuffing, green bean casserole, candied sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie but I've gained like 20lbs during the pandemic and don't need 5 more.

Hell yeah, enjoy a day of leisure.

My wife said she would rather go on a trip next year and not celebrate it, because it's a bad holiday. I agree it's a bad holiday... But I also like the concept of a shared day off to eat together. And I like to cook. I'm torn!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meltie posted:

dating absolutely loving sucks. I hate being set up without my knowledge by my friends (happened at a party this week), and I've worked out that the apps feel the same to me - a rushed setup with too much expectation and not enough knowledge.

I have enjoyed making new friends this year without the pressures of dating - a few new people I quite like and want to hang out with more.

Slothrop have you still got that amazing moustache?

Another reason I got unbelievably lucky. To put a finer point on my issues I'm asexual. I just don't date figuring that will freak people out. Going on a date with a total stranger is terrifying to me so I don't do it. I've always had friends turn into partners. I had been talking to a few people from my dating app but wasn't really looking for anything when this guy comes out of nowhere and ends up being amazing in every way I care about. Spent last weekend with him too and it's still going great. Going to see if he can come down to meet kastein this weekend before he heads west permanently. I've met some of his friends but him none of mine yet. My head is still in the clouds but I don't see why it will still be great after the honeymoon phase. Or maybe it will always be that :3

E: just thought of this but to be clear I don't mean Ace is an issue. I just mean it makes it more difficult for me.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 25, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Huh. Never had that happen before.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

14 years for £120 ain't bad going.

yeah, not complaining about under a tenner/year!
I was a bit annoyed until i dug out the receipt and realised how old it actually was and how little it actually cost compared to how old i thought it was and what i thought it cost...

Ikea's 25 year guarantee is a bit pointless though if they wear out normally before then. Even in the t+c's for it they say they recommend you replace it after 10 years... just make it a 10 year guarantee then...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

I have but the light was caked in mud and getting super hot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Advent Horizon posted:

Ever since this happened a few years ago I've been doing it intentionally when possible. Those lenses make great kitchen sponge dishes, incense ash catchers, and apparently according to Britt, rolling trays :420:

It works on most sealed beams with a halogen bulb inside but not the much older ones that are actually regular incandescent and are completely evacuated. Those, the seam in the glass is glass not some kind of whitish glue.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
spent way too much time cleaning and poo poo before thanksgiving dinner so i went out for a nice fun drive in the new brz on some backroads and it absolutely whips rear end. very hard to obey the rules regarding rpms during breakin period.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Man what a clusterfuck. Swapped to the junkyard alternator on the 'Vic, charging light came on after about a minute of running. Voltage was 13.2 @ the PCM (was checking over OBD2), but still a light? Whatever, it's 10 minutes to swap, I'll put the old one back in for now; I only paid $22 for the junkyard alternator (plus $4 for the 40 day warranty, but I can't find the receipt), so it's not a big loss.

Old one does the same poo poo, except the voltage is wandering from battery voltage all the way up to 18, and I started smelling that wonderful magic smoke smell after a minute. Fuuuuuuck. Shut it down and scratched my head a bit. Wiggled wires. Discovered the retaining clip is broken on the alternator plug - probably the same dipshit that snapped off one of the bolts in the alternator when the intake manifold got replaced (former constable car, was replaced while in service). Had SO hold the plug in while I started the car. 14.4 volts, no light. Great, but that smell came back pretty quick and voltage started getting wonky again. Swapped the junkyard alternator back in, solid 14.4 and no light. Except the little tab that the plug grabs on to is broken off on that one. :argh: So for now it's wedged in there with a broken popsicle stick until I can (a) replace the pigtail (I nabbed one with the junkyard alternator; it had the broken piece from the voltage regulator connector stuck in it, but that popped out easy enough) and get a new voltage regulator with a not-broken connector. Looks like probably $25 or so, but I need to make sure it's for the 200 amp alternator. When I got that alternator, someone had already cut the pigtail and unbolted the alternator; they were after the intake manifold and left everything else in the engine bay.

Then the Matrix battery took a poo poo. It's 12.7 volts when sitting, but it barely turns over... for one start attempt. If you shut it off immediately, it won't restart, and the battery voltage is down to 9-10v after that. Letting it run for about 15 minutes then shutting off gets 12.7 back, turning the headlights on makes it drop to 8 volts within about 5 minutes. 5 years is a pretty good run for a battery in Texas; somehow Napa is the cheapest parts store @ $120 (outside of Walmart [$65] and Costco [$100]) for a lower tier battery. I'm used to them being the most expensive, but that honor goes to Advance Auto this time ($180 is their cheapest). Autozone and O'Reilly's are matched at $160. That's before any core deposits. I'm okay with a Walmart battery, but it's Black Friday...... not dealing with that mess. Napa will deliver the drat battery to my apartment for free, even.

EDIT: Napa lets you use online coupons for batteries if you order for in-store pickup, AND they're Deka/East Penn (my preferred battery). Took $36 off! :stonkhat:

kastein posted:

Ever since this happened a few years ago I've been doing it intentionally when possible. Those lenses make great kitchen sponge dishes, incense ash catchers, and apparently according to Britt, rolling trays :420:

Mind blown, wish I'd known that when I still had cars that used sealed beams. Might have to snag one next time I'm at the yard.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 26, 2021

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's that time of year again...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986198

Time for the Sheep Game!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrChips posted:

It's that time of year again...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986198

Time for the Sheep Game!

Oh hell yeah. :swoon:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

Those are some fuckin nice kitties right there. I hope he feels better and stops eating garbage.

I bid on another stupid shitbox even though I've been too sick to fix the ones I've got.

It was mysteriously bid exactly up to my max bid which was still shy of the reserve. Feels a little like fuckery. The offer now goes to the owner, and i can't imagine they'll stick to the reserve over $150 on a sub-$1000 car.

Update: somebody bought this turd for $1,100 last week, it's a turd, now they're trying to get their money back.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Powershift posted:

Update: somebody bought this turd for $1,100 last week, it's a turd, now they're trying to get their money back.

At least they have honestly added to the declarations section rather than pretending it is fine.
And they seem to have driven it 20km, so it must drive…

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Second thanksgiving we've done on our own, first one was last year during the height of surge in LA. This year due to family drama we decided to stay at home and i'm glad we did. My wife's ex-roommate and her husband came over and it was shockingly fun to be able to chat with someone in the industry, but not at my company, about how every company does stuff loving weird. We did a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce while our friends brought a cheese plate and pies.

Naturally it wouldn't be thanksgiving without some drama, and thus our dishwasher conked out on wednesday. This year though we have a comically big kitchen with a lot of linear feet of counter space, so it wasn't too big a deal - especially repurposing the dishwasher as a drying rack - but holy poo poo does it get old quick.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I finally got to host Turkey Day again after what felt like an eternity of cooking at other peoples houses.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

God drat dude, your food always looks amazing.

I was lazy and had a restaurant do everything, but it came out pretty good. $100 "feeds 4-6". It was 3 of us, we sent the 3rd home with plenty of leftovers, and we're still trying to finish it off. Still not sure how I feel about broccoli instead of green beans though.

And my kitchen is too drat small to go hog wild... 1 bedroom apartment, at least it's not a galley style kitchen

Spent money on a real bed for the first time today - I've always had futons, second hand mattresses, or Wayfair specials. SO's mattress is pretty much shot (8 years old, low end Sealy mattress that had a 5 year warranty, my side is a good 2" lower). Like every bed purchase that happens in a mattress store, walked in with a hard budget that SO set (realistically it was too low to get a good mattress - $500), spent $1100 instead. Got a returned Sterns & Foster pillowtop (Rockwell Estate something or other). They claim it's a $2200 mattress, though we all know mattress stores are the wild west with pricing. But I know S&F is generally in the $2-5k range. I'm fine with an outlet version; once SO realized someone probably had it in their home for a few weeks she got a little weirded out, but we're getting it for half price. Throw a mattress protector on it and forget anybody else slept on it. :shrug:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

STR posted:

God drat dude, your food always looks amazing.

I was lazy and had a restaurant do everything, but it came out pretty good. $100 "feeds 4-6". It was 3 of us, we sent the 3rd home with plenty of leftovers, and we're still trying to finish it off. Still not sure how I feel about broccoli instead of green beans though.

And my kitchen is too drat small to go hog wild... 1 bedroom apartment, at least it's not a galley style kitchen

Can't go wrong for $100!