Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

It's interesting that Liverpool and particularly Chelsea seem to have got quite good at managing the injury and playing time risks for their kids and its paying off enormously. I know both clubs have devoted a lot of time and money that way, so it's clearly not easy

Managing their playing time by not playing them certainly is a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

wooger posted:

More like: scooping up enough young prospects for about 10 teams, loaning then out, not getting punished nearly enough for having too many loanees, and then getting lucky by law of averages.

Lmao what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

More like: scooping up enough young prospects for about 10 teams, loaning then out, not getting punished nearly enough for having too many loanees, and then getting lucky by law of averages.

Liverpoo have five (5) players out on loan

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel like you are both missing the rather important part of that quote

quote:

and particularly Chelsea

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

wooger posted:

That used to be their model, but Mount, Chaloboah, James, Livramento, Gilmour, RLC and Hudson Odoi are all proper Chelsea youth players. Possibly Lamptey too.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
I have just been told that the new collective pronoun for a group of Evertonians is a "suffering". I feel the pain. So with that in mind how much longer do you think before people turn on Rafa (0 wins out of last 7 PL outings)?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tarbrush posted:

That used to be their model, but Mount, Chaloboah, James, Livramento, Gilmour, RLC and Hudson Odoi are all proper Chelsea youth players. Possibly Lamptey too.

They were “punished” for doing exactly what I mentioned about 2 years ago?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Gilmour they poached (though no complaints it’s how we got Aribo)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Andoman posted:

I have just been told that the new collective pronoun for a group of Evertonians is a "suffering". I feel the pain. So with that in mind how much longer do you think before people turn on Rafa (0 wins out of last 7 PL outings)?

He might be sacked if he gets thumped by Liverpool on Wednesday

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Guess it's gonna work out ok for that guy from Texas who traveled 86 hours for a canceled Spurs match :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/HKane/status/1465061541162672130

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

sticksy posted:

Guess it's gonna work out ok for that guy from Texas who traveled 86 hours for a canceled Spurs match :unsmith:

That's pretty epic

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

When we get thumped rather than if I fear

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CyberPingu posted:

I know my tendency to defend Rafa Benitez borders on parody here, but unless Everton really change the way they are run and somehow sort out their finances, no manager is going to be able to do anything with the squad they have and their inability to recruit well. Benitez was obviously chosen because of his willingness to be the fall guy for a club that wants to get thrifty - or his inability to recognize when a club is setting him up for that position - so I don't think any new manager is going to be drastically better. They need to get through some injury issues in their squad and their form will eventually turn upward again.

Benitez really is a lodestone for bad owners. He's one of the most reliable "reverse barometers" in the sport. If he's joining your club, it means bad times are ahead and it's necessarily down to his moves, but he's just got a knack for finding the most frustrating club situations possible and getting stuck right into it.

Maybe Everton should have saved themselves the trouble and gone with Nuno, assuming he did not have his heart set on Spurs, but I don't know if Nuno would have done any better from a pure results perspective. Maybe he'd be better at somehow finding bargain transfers?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

sticksy posted:

So he's forcing the poor guy (who's on no sleep) to buy a new plane ticket to London first. I believe this is what they call an "empty promise" and thus a cynical PR move.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

sticksy posted:

Hope he likes watching Man City

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Offered the guy a ticket to a home game next time he's in London. Cryptic hint that he's staying at spurs or is he going back to Millwall in January :thunk:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Texas to Burnley fueled by anomie and a love of craft beer, diehard Spurs fan since 2014. Love that Men in Blazers podcast. Just had a moment of sleep deprived clarity as I walked through the endless snow covered row houses outside of turf moor and wondered where it all went wrong. This can't be all there is. Why didn't I just go to a Cowboys game.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

the sex ghost posted:

Offered the guy a ticket to a home game next time he's in London. Cryptic hint that he's staying at spurs or is he going back to Millwall in January :thunk:

KAne is going back to millwall

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Dallas to London is like 10 hours (unless you paid like 30 bucks for your ticket and you're connecting through Portland or something), taking 31 hours to get to Burnley is entirely down to personal choice

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It is definitely quicker and probably cheaper to get from Dallas to London than it is to go from London to Burnley

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

the sex ghost posted:

It is definitely quicker and probably cheaper to get from Dallas to London than it is to go from London to Burnley

and also you don't have to go to Burnley

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sticksy posted:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:sickos:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kane is garbage tbf

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

don't sleep on going to Dallas

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

As funny as it would be I don't think this actually happened unfortunately

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it did happen that they should have sold Kane though

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I hope they never sell Kane

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

pik_d posted:

Didn't sell Kane?
Didn't sell Kane!
Didn't sell Kane?!?!
Didn't sell Kane!

Harry Kaaaaaaane.
Kaaaaaaane.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

Make him manager of United for ABU bingo

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Paperhouse posted:

A fate worse than a fate worse than death.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Xabi posted:

So he's forcing the poor guy (who's on no sleep) to buy a new plane ticket to London first. I believe this is what they call an "empty promise" and thus a cynical PR move.

Turns out they were planning on taking in the next two home games anyway.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/bazzdgrogan/status/1465743072541786116

Pardon?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Big Angus reviving the tradition of mental poo poo in the programme notes. Still have my ken bates greatest hits including 'single mums should have their kids taken off them also we're playing yeovil' and 'if anyone sees Melvin Levi please tell me because he owes me money'

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Felming to see that even in the new shiny forward thinking prem even the slightest suggestion of 'we should think about giving some of this telly money that would be impossible for us to spend to clubs who aren't on telly' is still met with shrieks of horror

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Felming to see that even in the new shiny forward thinking prem even the slightest suggestion of 'we should think about giving some of this telly money that would be impossible for us to spend to clubs who aren't on telly' is still met with shrieks of horror

If sharing television money with the lower leagues is the Great Leap Forward, what does that make the Super League?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

If sharing television money with the lower leagues is the Great Leap Forward, what does that make the Super League?

New Deal, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Was going to make a joke about 'Maoist third worldism more like Howeist three pointism' but Norwich loving ruined it