Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lol this is great

how much money has gone into this sinkhole? like, it has to be enough to buy or pay a couple of solid players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Im sure Rafa will be available again come January

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

If you call missing out on the top four by taking 4 points from the final 5 matches and then letting Chelsea give his team a colonscopy in the Europa League final 'pretty well'.

Given the results after that season 5th does seem pretty fine tbh, but yeah the wheels did fall off towards the end of that season.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Bad ebening :o:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

I hear Steve Bruce is available

I made this joke in the last thread. Mods?!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah but you suck rear end

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It was good that vyelkin did the Steve Bruce joke and the thread title

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah but you suck rear end

Yeah, your mum likes it when I toss her salad.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
If Emery wasn't willing to give up a club playing in the CL to come manage a 19th place winless squad of mostly poo poo players then I think that says a lot of about his lack of character.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

:jerkbag:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Vinestalk posted:

That's a nice thing to do for a lady.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's a nice thing to do for a lady.

His monitor was off, be nice.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Eddie Howe in at Newcastle apparently. Plenty of money for him to spend and lots of friends on sky sports to say we need to give English managers a chance and he's implementing a system when they finish 16th every season. What I'm saying is I'm skeptical about his ability and I'm glad someone picked him up before Leeds got any ideas

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Eddie Howe did a hell of a job with Bournemouth but he is not somebody I would trust with a billion-pound warchest

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

He tended not to make good signings from what I remember - see Jordon Ibe.

Also not really a manager for a relegation fight.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
he's not going to be making the signings

he's basically agreed to nod pensively when icardi and coutinho fail at stepovers

good on him for taking the payday

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

Eddie Howe did a hell of a job with Bournemouth but he is not somebody I would trust with a billion-pound warchest

Bournemouth only came up because they were massively overspending the competition with shady Russian ownership. £5m fine for breaking FFP rules, which I'm sure must have stung.

Howe seems a perfect fit.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's crazy how few English managers the "Big 6" clubs have had. Lampard lasted a year and a half, but Glenn Hoddle was the last one for Chelsea in 96. Spurs had Tactics Tim until 2014 and Redknapp before that. Liverpool had Woy from 2010-11 and Roy Evans back in the 90s. City had Stuart Pierce for a couple years in the 2000s. At Arsenal, you have to go back to Don Howe in the 80s. And United's last English manager was Big Ron Atkinson. Obviously there have been plenty of British managers across those clubs but the English either just don't produce good managers or just don't trust their own with the big jobs.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

People will point to it ending with relegation but worth remembering that when Howe took over at Bournemouth they were in League 2 and he took them to the Premier League for 5 seasons. He must have started with some absolute lower league dross and built a team that could get promoted to the top and stay there consistently while being pumped full of foreign investment money. Again, relevant and valuable experience when considering his prospects in the Newcastle job.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
i think no matter what's being said he's never staying for long. He'll do a good enough job and get juiced with January cash to right the ship and be off in the summer homesick for the south coast again and that'll be enough. No one elite was going to take the job in this position.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

It's crazy how few English managers the "Big 6" clubs have had. Lampard lasted a year and a half, but Glenn Hoddle was the last one for Chelsea in 96. Spurs had Tactics Tim until 2014 and Redknapp before that. Liverpool had Woy from 2010-11 and Roy Evans back in the 90s. City had Stuart Pierce for a couple years in the 2000s. At Arsenal, you have to go back to Don Howe in the 80s. And United's last English manager was Big Ron Atkinson. Obviously there have been plenty of British managers across those clubs but the English either just don't produce good managers or just don't trust their own with the big jobs.

No English manager has ever won the Premiership - Howard Wilkinson won the championship in the last year before football was invented, but that's it. And it's okay, we won't get offended if you just say "Scottish" instead of "British" - Dalglish, Ferguson and Graham had basically 2 decades of dominance with only the occasional Kendall breaking it up.

Of course English management and coaching had been utter, utter poo poo for a *very* long time before that thanks to Charles Reep and his acolytes dooming generations of players to "sticking it in the mixer" and nobody at all noticing that with the exceptions of Alf Ramsey's Ipswich, Don Revie's Leeds and George Graham's Arsenal, the vast majority of League-winning teams completely ignored his extremely dubious statistical work and even shakier tactical conclusions. Unsurprisingly players bought up in that playing style also coach it (looking at you Big Sam).

Of course now it's more a matter of big clubs only wanting big name managers, and there aren't many English managers with names big enough - Lampard got the Chelsea job because he was Frank Lampard, not because of any talent he might have - and that becomes self-perpetuating because you can't get a big name without managing a "big club", so Jose Mourinho continues to get paid more than God to completely alienate a squad in 18 months.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

greazeball posted:

English managers, much like most of their players, are overrated shite.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
These days if you're English and you manage a football club they sack you and put you in jail

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Howe seems too nice for the newcastle job. Perhaps that's why they went for him.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
The only good English manager is Graham Potter, but I don't see him leaving unless he fancies another project, Villa would have me worried if that came up.

Spurs/Newcastle just seem like basket cases and maybe he is not high profile enough yet for clubs like that.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

The only good English manager is Graham Potter, but I don't see him leaving unless he fancies another project, Villa would have me worried if that came up.

Spurs/Newcastle just seem like basket cases and maybe he is not high profile enough yet for clubs like that.

I think that's the issue for Potter. Maybe not for Newcastle, but for one of the "big 6" clubs, there would be a significant portion of the fanbase who don't see him as a big enough name.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No English manager has ever won the Premiership - Howard Wilkinson won the championship in the last year before football was invented, but that's it. And it's okay, we won't get offended if you just say "Scottish" instead of "British" - Dalglish, Ferguson and Graham had basically 2 decades of dominance with only the occasional Kendall breaking it up.

Of course English management and coaching had been utter, utter poo poo for a *very* long time before that thanks to Charles Reep and his acolytes dooming generations of players to "sticking it in the mixer" and nobody at all noticing that with the exceptions of Alf Ramsey's Ipswich, Don Revie's Leeds and George Graham's Arsenal, the vast majority of League-winning teams completely ignored his extremely dubious statistical work and even shakier tactical conclusions. Unsurprisingly players bought up in that playing style also coach it (looking at you Big Sam).

Of course now it's more a matter of big clubs only wanting big name managers, and there aren't many English managers with names big enough - Lampard got the Chelsea job because he was Frank Lampard, not because of any talent he might have - and that becomes self-perpetuating because you can't get a big name without managing a "big club", so Jose Mourinho continues to get paid more than God to completely alienate a squad in 18 months.

There were some Welsh and Northern Irish managers too, although the Scots were definitely better represented.

Is Reep's stuff what everyone has to do for their coaching badges? I feel like I read somewhere that the process of becoming a manager in England is much more difficult than in other countries where diversity of thought is better tolerated.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

greazeball posted:

There were some Welsh and Northern Irish managers too, although the Scots were definitely better represented.

Is Reep's stuff what everyone has to do for their coaching badges? I feel like I read somewhere that the process of becoming a manager in England is much more difficult than in other countries where diversity of thought is better tolerated.

Until recently the English FA's coaching courses were antiquated shite, and the qualifications were only valid in England. I wouldn't call it more difficult but yes, more limiting, and England-based players were flocking to the Welsh FA's UEFA-accredited coaching courses for plenty of reasons.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

greazeball posted:

It is (or at least was, anyway) way more expensive to get badges in England than other countries. I remember reading about it a few years ago and it was thousands for what is €300 in Spain or something like that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Southgate is probably ending up in charge of Man Utd at some point when he's done with England.

It won't go well.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No English manager has ever won the Premiership

goddamn this is true isn't it

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Southgate is probably ending up in charge of Man Utd at some point when he's done with England.

It won't go well.

Sweet baby jesus, please no :(

At least do Graham Potter or something if a change has to be made

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

He tended not to make good signings from what I remember - see Jordon Ibe.

Also not really a manager for a relegation fight.

Here lies Solanke
He never scored

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

It used to be, until Trevor Brooking was sent in with his 10 O-Levels to sort out the whole mess. The upper levels are now just localised versions of the UEFA system (apparently the FA courses are more comprehensive but the actual qualification criteria are the same) and the lower levels are a lot harder than equivalents elsewhere but that's because of Brooking's changes to ensure youth coaches are actually teaching kids how to play football and not just run around looking busy.

It's definitely not a coincidence that we've hit a golden - or at least silver - age for the England national team now that we're 15 years into the reforms he made, with a squad full of players that came up through that system. Still think that if he'd only bought in Billy Bonds to add a module on headbutting doors as a warmup[1] we'd have won the Euros.

[1] I love that the three named stands at the LS are after Bobby Moore and Trevor Brooking, both known and loved for their impeccable technique and gentlemanly ways, and Billy Bonds, who...

https://mobile.twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/1438840413704622082

That's the West Ham Way right there, friends.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I for one can't wait for Eddie Howe in the transfer market with oil money.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1456623443500281862?s=20

No matter how badly your week is going, I can guarantee you're having a better one than Dele Alli

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jexner posted:

I for one can't wait for Eddie Howe in the transfer market with oil money.

Which promising Liverpool youth player is he going to spend way too much on this time

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Only training til 2:00? Pathetic, I've been vaguely looking at spreadsheets since 8 o clock this morning and the level of exertion is, I assume, identical. Today's woke footballers should go and apologise to a soldier for not training 12 hours a day

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Bogan Krkic posted:

Which promising Liverpool youth player is he going to spend way too much on this time

Nat Phillips? Neco Williams?

Comedy option - Divock Origi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Rhys Williams even though he can't get into the Swansea team.