Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose posted:

waiting to see if newcastle get relegated or not and can go hog wild signing players

Well they’re not getting relegated by January anyway, they may take Kane at that point I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Villa got a good price for Grealish and just reinvested the money badly.

Young aside, not sure their purchases this summer are actually bad, just that the best one, and the one actually intended to somewhat replace Grealish has been injured.

They really miss Konsa, by far their best defender, inexplicably overlooked in favour of Mings by England.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Simiain posted:

Arsenal somehow only 2 points behind Liverpool despite being 20 goals down on them is pretty silly innit.

They’ve just been lucky enough to play minnows like Man Utd and run up their goal difference.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

He’s a big dingus who constantly fell out with good players, got to lean on advantages over other clubs Pep could only dream about, and worst of all demanded the club appoint David Moyes and for that alone he cannot have the top spot

Moyes, who’s proven to be actually good, and had a better record than most of their other managers since anyway.
Edwards was the cancer that hosed Man Utd for a decade.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Frankston posted:

Nah, we spent about £85m on Buendia, Bailey and Ings. Young was free.

There is the possibility that they had money to spend anyway, and haven’t touched the Grealish money.

Owners are rich, they can afford to spend anyway.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Isn’t this just like playing the football pools, which a large proportion of the UK used to do every week, with a guy coming door to door to collect the fees?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Andoman posted:

I'm not sure if the charges were dropped but he claimed to have been blackmailed by an underage girl who had claimed to be over the age of consent. Having admitted the underage part he was never going to play for a PL Team again.

It sounded initially like the crime was just sexting, who knows.

I can’t quite believe it takes that long to investigate if that’s all that occurred, so I tend to assume the criminal blackmail gang story.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

T Bowl posted:

Had a lot of problems originally with games not working. Not to mention it's a premium add-on that cost more money. I get it for free through Comcast but gently caress them.

At least there’s only one rights holder and no blackouts. The UK’s NFL coverage is blighted by selling the two best games (at UK watchable times anyway) every Sunday as Sky exclusives - so they’re blacked out on the gamepass app here.

It’s like if every top6 vs top6 game was blacked out on Peacock and only available on *HBO sports max* or something.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Pogba was by far the motm in a World Cup final featuring an shitload of world class talent (ignore that the official fifa award went to Griezman, which was a travesty)

He was also fabulous in every knock out stage game, I think he had one group stage game where he was off a bit.

He will be fine once he gets out of Man United’s awful clutches. Imagine being a midfielder like him and going from the ashes of van Gaal to Mouinho to loving Ole lmao

Easy, let’s ignore that he should’ve gotten a straight red in 2/3 of the group games in 2018.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tarbrush posted:

It's interesting that Liverpool and particularly Chelsea seem to have got quite good at managing the injury and playing time risks for their kids and its paying off enormously. I know both clubs have devoted a lot of time and money that way, so it's clearly not easy

More like: scooping up enough young prospects for about 10 teams, loaning then out, not getting punished nearly enough for having too many loanees, and then getting lucky by law of averages.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tarbrush posted:

That used to be their model, but Mount, Chaloboah, James, Livramento, Gilmour, RLC and Hudson Odoi are all proper Chelsea youth players. Possibly Lamptey too.

They were “punished” for doing exactly what I mentioned about 2 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sassassin posted:

Wages are inflated because football club owners and executives offer to pay them. Salary caps and spending limits simply put a limit on what the labour element can earn from the game, in order to protect the profit margins of companies.

Until money is removed from the top level those in charge of clubs in the lower tiers will constantly feel pressured to spend beyond their means to reach the "promised land" (of usually even more spending, but £100m/yr of extra revenue is one hell of a carrot). But player earnings shouldn't be shackled because a bunch of idiots lack self-control. Reading's players deserve to be paid as much as they can get, for as long as they can get it, wherever is offering it to them. If Reading end up paying more than they can afford (or 3x more than they can afford which is closer to the case) that's the fault of the people writing up the contracts, not the players accepting them.

I’d say: the lower league clubs should own and play all the young players which the richest premier league clubs have hoarded in youth setups and loaned out on an industrial scale.

Selling those players on is how they should be making money to keep going.

Importing players from around the world to play in our 2nd and 3rd tier is insane, harms the game everywhere and denies young players a chance to prove themselves.