Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

And if I get hit by a bus then there's no core group of maintainers that will take over lol.

out of curiosity, what's your mental model of the yocto design team? It's pretty heavily funded by Intel and is part of the Linux Foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Management posted:

maybe someone who isn’t Google could come up with an embedded linux base OS that can do over-the-air automatic updates and keep an lts release maintained.

lol just kidding, it will take legislation before anyone does anything other than abandon their firmware as soon as it ships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_Sphere

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, for people who don't know or simply forgot, Google did indeed release a version of android meant to be optionally headless and designed for 3 years of over the air updates when the product is FIRST released

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Things

There was an image for raspberry pi and it was ok. The idea is that vendors would take this image and develop their apps on it. Updates would be "cheap" since Google would just provide updated versions of the underlying OS to fix security issues.

After some time with few-to-none industry backers, google changed its focus from low powered devices to smartphone-class devices before deprecating it completely

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

out of curiosity, what's your mental model of the yocto design team? It's pretty heavily funded by Intel and is part of the Linux Foundation.

Eh, it’s… fine. The core set of packages that are maintained by the developers are pretty decent. Yocto tends to do well because it’s easy for a corporation to make a layer with their bootloader and kernel and chuck it at developers.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Poopernickel posted:

No joke, I'm doing a Linux for a 10MHz CPU. Ten.

I rate the experience 0/10 would not do again.

the slowest system on which I’ve booted NetBSD so far was a 16MHz 68020 and its performance was perfectly acceptable

like, it’s slow, but it’s about as slow as it was back in the day, it doesn’t give me a “this should be faster on this system” feeling (like trying to boot in 8MB did, once it got to the point of running /etc/rc…)

I really kind of feel like the embedded world is overlooking the BSDs these days, they can even restrict any source changes they make

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
fuckin love netbsd

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what else is there to do?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

eschaton posted:

I really kind of feel like the embedded world is overlooking the BSDs these days, they can even restrict any source changes they make

it's less that we overlook it and more that we're fundamentally at the whims of what happens to be supported and has drivers and so on and so forth. if soc/som vendors had good netbsd bsps and no or bad linux bsps we'd use them probably

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Pretty much that, yeah. I'd love to use a BSD but the driver support is pretty lackluster

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lackluster is putting it politely

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

like honestly i think the thing that separates embedded dev isn't language or domain but a much tighter environment of constraints in what tooling you can use, what choices you get to make, what choices you can make, and also the business processes. embedded devs are a department of engineering in the same way that electrical and mechanical are. we are not in charge. we don't rule anything. we get input in what to do as much as the electrical folks get input in what to do. a lot of our poo poo is backwards and manual and some of that is our fault but not all of it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
How do you folks package firmware updates? Swupdate? Or some competing/homeroll thing?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i have a "homebrew" method which is to set up two root partitions that are mounted read only and then a leftover that's writable, and software updates are partition images of one of the root partitions and you just write to the partition blkdev after you hash/sigcheck the image. then once you're done writing, you hit a bootloader arg to flip the boot target and reboot.

it's homerolled, which is bad, but it's dead simple since you're producing those disk images anyway in buildroot or yocto or whatever. it could be more efficient but you can usually keep those images small.

you mount them readonly to prevent changes getting made that get wiped out during update. there's a certain amount of bind-mount fuckery for files that want to be in /etc but need to be configurable like a hostname cache or whatever but it's not that bad.

fake e: the whole separated write-then-switch-bootarg thing also really minimizes the vulnerability to loss of power events bricking systems, and the a/b thing lets you recover from failed updates if you want if you can correctly identify when the update has failed, which systemd can help you do

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I do something similar usually. But how do you package the firmware for deployment? Just download a .img.gz? Do you ever have to deal with bootloader updates or extra support scripts?

I homerolled something similar to swupdate before I knew it existed, now I'm wondering what other solutions are out there.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

I do something similar usually. But how do you package the firmware for deployment? Just download a .img.gz? Do you ever have to deal with bootloader updates too?

oh, i take the image and zip up image, hashfile, hashfile sig and distribute that. on the shipping device it's a 384 meg image that zips down to about 100 which is basically the same size as the electron app lol. bootloader updates we Try Very Hard To Avoid, so far successfully aside from some random dtos that we just kind of grit our teeth and mount the requisite fat32 partition and gently caress around in

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i mean it sounds like you probably know this already but the single most important thing about an embedded device update mechanism is that it's reliable and bug free. possibly the only important thing. it can be inefficient. it can have a gross mechanism. it just has to never ever ever ever in all your testing fail in an unexpected way because that's a bricked device that you're shipping back. you know you have a good update system when you have not touched the code in it for years. you keep it as separate as you can and you keep it as dog loving simple and ideally dependency free as you can and you beat the poo poo out of it in testing and then you don't ever touch it lol

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

oh, i take the image and zip up image, hashfile, hashfile sig and distribute that. on the shipping device it's a 384 meg image that zips down to about 100 which is basically the same size as the electron app lol.

This is essentially the problem that swupdate tries to solve, standardizing the way you package and install updates.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

How do you folks package firmware updates? Swupdate? Or some competing/homeroll thing?

mender. there is no better option.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

i have a "homebrew" method which is to set up two root partitions that are mounted read only and then a leftover that's writable, and software updates are partition images of one of the root partitions and you just write to the partition blkdev after you hash/sigcheck the image. then once you're done writing, you hit a bootloader arg to flip the boot target and reboot.

it's homerolled, which is bad, but it's dead simple since you're producing those disk images anyway in buildroot or yocto or whatever. it could be more efficient but you can usually keep those images small.

you mount them readonly to prevent changes getting made that get wiped out during update. there's a certain amount of bind-mount fuckery for files that want to be in /etc but need to be configurable like a hostname cache or whatever but it's not that bad.

fake e: the whole separated write-then-switch-bootarg thing also really minimizes the vulnerability to loss of power events bricking systems, and the a/b thing lets you recover from failed updates if you want if you can correctly identify when the update has failed, which systemd can help you do

This is what mender does but better. :v:

It mandates two root partitions and a data partition
You use mender-artifact to create mender images and sign them with a ECDSA-P256 key
The .mender images are lzma or gz compressed
There are 20 different stages of which you can run scripts or programs for checks while updating if you so choose
There’s automatic roll back support.
There are delta updates with the professional version if you so choose.
It can be ran as a server-client or in standalone mode.

Personally we have two root partitions, a data partition, and a factory partition that holds things that should never be overwritten (ssh keys, calibration info, etc.)

Use mender, it has excellent Buildroot and Yocto support, and supports uboot, grub, or uboot + grub.

Edit: If using uboot you do have to patch it with the mender patches, which may be a bit of a pain and generally takes a few hours. Using Grub is plug-and play for the most part.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 7, 2021

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

does mender function with devices that aren't internet connected in a way that actually retains any of its advantages

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

does mender function with devices that aren't internet connected in a way that actually retains any of its advantages

Yes, you can run mender -install /path/to/update.mender and it works the same way. The online part makes it easier to deploy updates and manage devices though.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

that's kinda cool, i'll look into it. edit: probably gonna prefer swupdate because it's open source but w/e

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, it’s a really good update service and I wholeheartedly recommend it over any other software update package provided you have enough space for two root and a data partition. I also highly recommend a persistent partition for things like ssh keys and VPN config files. Although the way I setup my devices is a factory reset is basically: mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p4 and a reboot. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

that's kinda cool, i'll look into it. edit: probably gonna prefer swupdate because it's open source but w/e

mender is also open source? It’s written in go under the Apache 2.0 license.

https://github.com/mendersoftware/mender

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

that's nice. what about it is better than swupdate?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

on the other end of the freedom scale does anyone have any experience with the proprietary ones like qnx?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

that's nice. what about it is better than swupdate?

“Better” is subjective. Swupdate doesn’t demand you conform to an A/B system setup and is far more hands off. This is either a good or bad thing.

Mender is written in go, which is fine, but the binary is a bit big at 5~MB iirc. If space is at an extreme premium then swupdate is the way to go. Mender also demands you use A/B updating and their patches to uboot or mender-grubenv if you are using grub. It’s not bad, but it does take some setup/integration time.

I also forgot to mention, but mender does have a plugin system for pushing updates that aren’t strictly A/B, like running bash scripts, installing RPM/OPKG packages, or updating docker containers. It’s quite useful.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 7, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Never used QNX, but I've worked at two companies where somebody evaluated it and said "nah" for price and driver compatibility reasons.

It feels like Linux will displace it once PREEMPT_RT is all done being merged into mainline.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 7, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
“PREEMPT_RT will be in the kernel soon!” said every year, for the last 10 years. :v:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Lol true, but it's Real Close This Time. The patch-set is growing smaller and smaller, and a bunch of prep work for it has been merged into mainline over the past few kernel versions.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Anybody ever try out Xenomai? I've been itching to experiment with it but never had a good opportunity yet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

Never used QNX, but I've worked at two companies where somebody evaluated it and said "nah" for price and driver compatibility reasons.

It feels like Linux will displace it once PREEMPT_RT is all done being merged into mainline.

a blackberry recruiter reached out to me with a job that’s actually decent pay for remote and my location but… does qnx have a future outside of automotive?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

a blackberry recruiter reached out to me with a job that’s actually decent pay for remote and my location but… does qnx have a future outside of automotive?

Nope. Don't make plans that expect it to be popular 3 years from now. Go for it if you don't give a gently caress about the company's long-term prospects.

Maybe RIM could make it work if they open-sourced it again and sold consulting services though.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 7, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just don't get paid in stonks unless you can sell them quarterly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well, 3 years is a decent tenure at a tech company :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
4 if you have RSUs that are worth good monies. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

Just don't get paid in stonks.

i like the stock 💎 🙌 🙈

or whatever the gently caress the meme is

I actually bought a share along with one of a bunch of the other meme stocks. that did not go well, but loving dillards and build a bear of all things made the entire thing a break even.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
This ain't stonk chat buddy!!! This is where we out-graybeard each other about our Linux janitoring

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah embedded Linux is not the best path to figgiesland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah embedded Linux is not the best path to figgiesland

Agreed, it’s not the best path, but once your in and have a decent network of people you can make very good figgies.