Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Did it turn out okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I saw a homeschooled person at the bar the other night, horrible creatures.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My old boss homeschooled his 11 kids. They looked like the children from village of the damned.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

one of my friends in scouts was home schooled because his mom believed in chemtrails and all that other insane conspiracy poo poo, his dad was scout master just so he could get him away from her sometimes

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

When my son’s school would play the homeschoolers in basketball there were always some middle schoolers who I swear left the game in their own cars. And their coach resigned from public school for making out with a high school girl.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I was homeschooled. It aggravated a lot of existing issues I had from undiagnosed brain stuff. It also gave my sister ample opportunity to abuse me.

That said, I'm very certain I would've been eaten alive in school for perpetually being the "weird kid". With as hosed up as my brain is, I probably would've killed myself if the bullying was bad enough. At least with homeschooling I got opportunities to pursue my passions, like art and computers. I think it was still the better of two options, but it would've been cool for it to not be a choice between "abuse at home" or "abuse at school".

I think it requires a really hands-on approach. Like, you can't half-rear end it, and a lot of parents are just too overworked, too tired, to be handling those duties. I had a lot of embarrassing gaps in my knowledge for a long time even with a stay-at-home mom. Public school, from all I've seen, isn't really a better system, but it's often all you have if you're already poor and need childcare during the day.

I also think homeschooling can very easily be a vector for abusive parenting like anti-vaccination and cult poo poo. There's a far gap between "rural family with abusive parents that keeps their kids homeschooled to teach them from the bible" and "rich family that hires a bunch of tutors for their little brat because they don't want them associating with The Chaff" and it's pretty hard to have any productive conversation on homeschooling because so many people think of the first one whenever they hear it and a term that encapsulates such a broad range of experiences is not really conducive to debate.

Speaking of debate, the kindest thing you can do for someone who was homeschooled is not immediately spring into giving your unsolicited opinion on whether or not Homeschooling Bad. People really want to give their uneducated jackass opinions whenever you mention you were homeschooled in any context, which typically begin and end at real brain genius stuff like "school was great for me, so it must be great for everyone". I grew up with a lot of that and it was exhausting, especially when it involved implying that I was permanently hosed up and would never be the same as my peers because of it.

In my humble homeschooled opinion, schools need more funding, and there needs to be more support for brainfucked kids like me who do not fit in as well with their peers. What that would look like, I have no idea. I would've preferred to go to school in some hypothetical safe environment, but that's, well, ancient history. In general, children need socialization to help improve their odds of turning out well, and homeschooling makes that difficult for a variety of reasons. More community-based stuff where children have places to meet and mingle outside of a school environment would've helped me a lot.

This is all ignoring the huge raging pandemic going on right now where I really don't think kids should be attending in-person schooling period. v :v: v

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, they were super religious.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The ones I've met have been very successful in life by a lot of measures but also mostly socially weird and not exactly in an endearing way

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
In my first career I worked with middle school and high school students and the homeschooled kids lacked the ability to socialize with their peers and had no coping skills. It was also impossible for them to understand anything in pop culture because they weren’t exposed to anything beyond Veggie Tales and Kirk Cameron movies.

Also the sweatpants. Always wearing the sweatpants.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

I was homeschooled for a little while. It was not very good and i was glad to go back to real school the next year

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Bloop posted:

The ones I've met have been very successful in life by a lot of measures but also mostly socially weird and not exactly in an endearing way

The two I’ve known are basically this in a nutshell. Very smart and hardworking, but crazy awkward

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I dunno, maybe? It's not a thing that comes up in small talk even in Baltimore, where the stereotype is someone asking which high school you attended within 5 minutes of meeting you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

When I worked as a reporter, I often wrote about local boy scouts becoming eagle scouts or achieving Super Scout 3 or whatever the gently caress that dumb poo poo was apparently so important, and about 90 percent were home schooled

They were either socially awkward or just had the blandest personalities without sounding completely weird

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Guy at my work was homeschooled and he is one of the nicest and hardest working people I've ever met. :shrug:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Homeschool kids are weirdos OP

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i know a kid who is homeschooled cuz he had the worst ADHD i've ever seen but is also genius level creative and smart and school is absolutely no place for him

he was in my class the year before his parents decided to homeschool him and it was awful. He is much better off this way. School would crush him.

I knew another guy though when I was a kid who was rich and his parents were creepy and yeah he ended up pretty hosed up

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I knew a few people who were homeschooled from K-8 but got sent to a religious high school. They were definitely more weird and more fundamentalist than the other kids.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
its not homeschool but i knew some girls from an all girls school when I was in high school and they were weird in a not-fun way

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
One of my best buddies in high school was homeschooled. He had a rough home, extremely religious and patriarchal, but today he's an awesome, caring, thoughtful, compassionate, creative person. He's also pretty estranged from his parents.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, they were super religious.

:hmmyes:

imagine a 5-year-old's Bible study primer came to life and started talking and you will have captured the tone and academic level of the average homeschooled teenager

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Looking forward to the next crop of kids who had to be homeschooled to avoid Critical Race Theory.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I got pulled out of fourth grade after the school board president’s kid decided I would make a nice target. Then we moved about every eight months and it was just easier to stay home. I probably should have gone back but I didn’t want to be bullied anymore.

Pretty much everything that can be said, has been said. As long as it’s not Jesus freakery, home school kids are hard workers with no social skills. But for me, that was always going to be true. My only socialization in public school was as a victim. In retrospect, what I missed were opportunities unavailable at home: science labs, higher math options, maybe some career guidance. I think I’d still be a “weirdo” otherwise.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
In my experience, they're very nice and miserably weird.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I met a homeschooled girl my senior year of high school because her pastor parents got too busy running their weird little church and reluctantly put her in public school for that last year. She was snobby and quiet and regularly told people they were going to hell. We were in competition academically and despised each other.

Anyway she was apparently super repressed because she snapped a little the following year and we lost our virginities to each other. When I broke up with her, she tripled down on the religion and now is rabid MAGA.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb question but my parents always threatened me in high school, with how I had to get good grades or else I'd never get into a good college.

Does anyone who is home schooled actually ever make it into an Ivy league school?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Education being a one size fits all approach is bad for everyone.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hard workers with no social skills isn't exactly a compliment, social skills are everything lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I've known a few home schooled people, and they ran the spectrum from very intelligent, artistic, and socially integrated, to trainwrecks who will never be able to take care of themselves without some desperately needed intervention services.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I knew a home schooled kid in high school who seemed mostly pretty normal and was really into zombie movies and such. One time we watched Hollow Man together at his house and his hands were in his pants a lot of the time and I'm pretty sure he was jerking off to it in front of me. I didn't really want to hang out with him after that. I was also and probably still am an antisocial weirdo, but maybe if he wasn't home schooled he would have been better socially adjusted to know better.
There was also this scene girl I knew who was kind of hot and went to cyber school, at some point she took me along to her cyber school's field trip since she apparently had no friends there and didn't know anyone at all. She apparently grew up to be a boring Republican which seems like kind of a shame.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Dumb question but my parents always threatened me in high school, with how I had to get good grades or else I'd never get into a good college.

Does anyone who is home schooled actually ever make it into an Ivy league school?

People badgering teenagers about how important high school is and making it sound like a high stakes game where your entire life could be ruined if you get a D in algebra is also really bad and probably accounts for a lot of teen suicides.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Imagine having kids so ugly that you can’t put them in a public school. :thunk: :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You parents don't have to :haw:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colonel Cancer posted:

You parents don't have to :haw:

YES THEY DO! :mad:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

People badgering teenagers about how important high school is and making it sound like a high stakes game where your entire life could be ruined if you get a D in algebra is also really bad and probably accounts for a lot of teen suicides.

Oh believe me I graduated with a 67 average despite all my parent's badgering.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I knew LOTS of homeschooled people. As for how they turned out, it depended on what they put into it (kids and parents).

Most of them home schooled because of religious reasons (not wanting to be near filthy pagans). They did the bare minimum to get their HS diploma. None of them went to college, not that they would have qualified at all if they did. Most of them have lovely jobs and lovely lives. Not that college prevents that, but when you have no trade skills, no degrees, certs, etc, or even social skills, it makes all of that even more difficult.

I knew 2 siblings who home schooled for similar reasons. However, their mom was well educated and had teaching degrees and all that poo poo so they took it seriously. They both took advanced courses when able and scored high enough on test and poo poo to get full ride scholarships.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oh believe me I graduated with a 67 average despite all my parent's badgering.

My school did this credits system and by the time it was my second semester of senior year I had more than the required number of credits to graduate. For some reason they can't just let you be done you have to keep doing school. So I just went to school and slept half the time and generally hosed around and didn't do any work. What the gently caress was the point of bothering with five months of elective classes? Some times I just went "meh" and left.

I also really hated school from day one and it was miserable from day one so I stayed home a lot and my mom would freak out and say the truant officer would show up and I'd get held back and blah blah blah. But I didn't stay home nearly enough for that and that bullshit was obviously just some technicality they could use to get rid of students who were chronic problems. In my four years of high school I got one detention. I can't think of anything in my entire life that was more of an inconsequential low stakes game as high school was.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 2, 2021

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

my mom had an issue with like, getting up in the mornings to usher me off to school, so from first to third grade I was "homeschooled"

the schooling consisted of her buying me old middle and high school textbooks from the thrift store and leaving me alone with them for three years, no structure or oversight or even interest in what I was doing at all, ever

there was one standardized test at the end of third grade and it was there that we found out I test incredibly well, and I was subjected to gifted kid programs for the rest of my schooling

then I hit about my sophomore year and realized I was suddenly laughably bad at math, so rather than working to improve I joined the softball team because the coach of the softball team was the head of the math department, and if you played a Sport it was a guaranteed passing grade :unsmith:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

comforthawk posted:

then I hit about my sophomore year and realized I was suddenly laughably bad at math, so rather than working to improve I joined the softball team because the coach of the softball team was the head of the math department, and if you played a Sport it was a guaranteed passing grade :unsmith:

The system works :patriot:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Did it turn out okay?

me and no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Das Boo posted:

In my experience, they're very nice and miserably weird.

gently caress