Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
This 14 year old homeschooled kid asked me to listen to a song on his iPod that his mom had pre-loaded and it was happy birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I guess the opposite is a successful sociopath?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I knew a kid who was homeschooled for religious reasons until like sophomore year of highschool. Last I heard he was a tattoo artist, so good for him.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

IMO, homeschool your kids until COVID is over.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yeah. This guitarist who worked at the climbing gym. He was pretty cool.

I also had a part time staffing agency job for an upstart yearbook company, where I proofed margins and such, and there was like a homeschool group yearbook, which surprised me but I guess like all the weirdo kids' parents formed a gang they could organize dances with and do some social functions and a lot of the kids had funny names.

There was one little ginger girl named Nemesis and I thought that was quite a heavy name for a little girl to carry.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Having grown up in Utah, most of the home schooler's parent fell into one of 3 categories with significant overlap: far-right radicals, religious extremists, and/or polygamists.

Unfortunately the products of these warped educational environments now tend to be local community leaders or legislators now.

Utah is bad.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

My godchild is homeschooled, but his family is very hands- on, and makes every attempt to socialize him. The schooling is on a schedule, and it is understood that you don't call/text unless it's an emergency, bc lil sprouts need stability in a schedule. I was against it, at first, but honestly, he's doing way better academically and socially than was possible in the school system.

That said, I do not think all parents can teach that way. It's literally more than a full time job, and I've seen disasters with other people. It is very possible to do homeschooling well, but it does take the commitment of the whole family.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I was homeschooled so, there you go.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i was homeschooled and pretty much what everyone else said, turned out smart but socially retarded. luckily i met some good people in high school and college and they dragged me out a lot and gave me a chance to figure things out, so it could be a lot worse

i still tell people dont homeschool your kids. social skills are more important

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=800zIPDSO7A

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
My 9 cousins I grew up with were part of some kind of central Florida evangelical homeschooling group, and they turned out okay. About half of them largely abandoned religion, the rest are much more mild versions of what they grew up with. Two of them directed a Sandra Bullock movie coming out next year, so that's neat.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My wife was homeschooled for her high school years. Her family up and moved to the middle of nowhere on an island off the coast of Alaska because her stepdad wanted to build a house in the woods and hunt and fish. They weren’t religious at all. The place was only accessible by boat so once a month she would get homeschool study packs delivered to a PO Box on the mainland and mail them back to get graded.

For the first year they lived in a metal shack with a dirt floor and she would do her homework in there while also building the house from lumber cut right there on the island. She took her school work seriously, graduated and went to college. She was just highly motivated to do something else with her life besides some Swiss Family Robinson poo poo.

As far as the social skills, she turned out fine because she went to regular schools up until the point she was dragged away from all her friends against her wishes. She tells me on the rare occasions she encountered other kids who lived up there, those kids were weeeeeeird.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Without the slightest exaggeration, parents cannot be trusted and education should be universally controlled by the state.

Parents have no rights to do this or that regarding their children, only duties.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Neil Cicierega was homeschooled but then again his parents were scientists or some poo poo

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The uber-Christian family that lived down the street from me

Weirdly enough, the only movies they would let their kids watch were Star Wars.

The younger kid always smelled like poo poo and they were insanely boring in general

The older kid grew up to be a child molester and went to prison

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I knew a homeschooled kid. He wouldn’t watch Indiana jones except Temple of Doom because the other two were too scary. He closed his eyes at the dinner scene.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

The priest at the church I went to as a kid had three beautiful blonde daughters that he and his wife home schooled until high-school. They were always pretty quiet and super nice and when they got to high-school they became really popular.

On the other hand my parents pulled me out of public school in the 6th grade to attend Montessori school which introduced me to a bunch of wierd kids who all had food allergies and didn't believe in microwaves.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Serious question, what is it with “weird kids” and food allergies? Does the fact that they’re allergic to stuff make them weird in kids eyes, or is something in the “weird kid” lifestyle causing allergies at higher rates than normal kids?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Gutcruncher posted:

Serious question, what is it with “weird kids” and food allergies? Does the fact that they’re allergic to stuff make them weird in kids eyes, or is something in the “weird kid” lifestyle causing allergies at higher rates than normal kids?

I think that kids that are allergic get isolated to an extent by their parents to protect them, they then get a bit weird from not being in contact with other kids as much and not having common context in terms of some foods. Also kids will treat them a bit differently because they're told that a peanut can kill that kid.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Gutcruncher posted:

You have to view it more as “has weird parents who are prone to making dubious medical claims”

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
Do siblings who are home schooled have better results than only children?

I can imagine siblings who are normalish would help socialize each other, but OTOH they could spin off into their own weird homeschool world

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Flowers for QAnon posted:

You have to view it more as “has weird parents who are prone to making dubious medical claims”

This 100% at the Montessori school. There was also a kid who wasn't allowed microwaved food and this actually caught on and spread to another family with three brothers who all had the same haircut.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

My brother knew a couple of homeschooled kids who were piano prodigies and finished medical school by age 21. They were homeschooled because their family was always traveling so they weren't overly-sheltered kids or anything like that.

There was a real weird guy who got into local politics around here a couple of years ago. He ran for council and won by basically spending what later turned out to be 10x what anyone else did on his campaign. When he immediately tried to do some crazy things and didn't get his way, he started going over peoples' heads to the point where he was writing rambling, insane, 40 page letters to the FBI about "local corruption" (read: someone told him 'no'). Eventually, both the local law director and state attorney general had to formally tell him to knock it off. He didn't take it well and proceeded to launch into a personal vendetta against the mayor, the council and basically everyone else at city hall to the point where they finally had to launch a recall petition against him, which they had no problem getting far beyond the required amount of signatures for, however, he resigned before any punitive action was taken against him. Unsurprisingly, when looking into his background, he was the homeschooled son of a professor who likely had never heard the word 'no' before.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2021

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Grew up in an area with a lot of rural homeschoolers. Almost entirely for religious cultist reasons not that the quality of the local schools was that great either.

Without fail every person I know who was homeschooled later had a wild time in adulthood once they moved out of whatever shithole one horse town they grew up in. Like something clicks the instant that they discover all the things their cultist parents denied them aren't all that bad from Harry Potter to sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Only one out of five folks I know off hand couldn't cut it in the real world and went back to the safety and insularity of the cult they grew up in.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

Do siblings who are home schooled have better results than only children?

I can imagine siblings who are normalish would help socialize each other, but OTOH they could spin off into their own weird homeschool world

I think it could help. I was going to post about a kid who I went to high school with who was homeschooled up to that point, and he was as normal as any other high school kid. He had a million siblings and also our town was a normal sized suburb so it wasn't like they were some weird cult learning the bible in the woods or anything.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I have a cousin who is homeschooling her 3 kids with the Jesus Schoolings. Like the crazy insane ones.

She lives on the government's dime, and handouts from her parents. Only one of her three baby daddies' pay child support.

Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Her last husband is basically a step-cousin that we kind of grew up with, for like 15 years. He delivers Chinese food, the last I heard. He's not the one that pays child support, I don't think.

or any port in a storm, i guess.
yick.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 3, 2021

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine going up levels of just books. No Idea how that goes. I will tell you about my dandruff teacher, I wish she knew more science.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Gutcruncher posted:

I think it is just one if those things hard wired in our heads from caveman days to shun the genetically inferior. Probably same reason most incels are left handed

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
The kids with allergies are like that because their parents don’t exposed them to any allergens. It’s called the hygiene hypothesis. Just one of the many insane things that get passed along by home schooling parents I suppose.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tiny Myers posted:

I was homeschooled. It aggravated a lot of existing issues I had from undiagnosed brain stuff. It also gave my sister ample opportunity to abuse me.

That said, I'm very certain I would've been eaten alive in school for perpetually being the "weird kid". With as hosed up as my brain is, I probably would've killed myself if the bullying was bad enough. At least with homeschooling I got opportunities to pursue my passions, like art and computers. I think it was still the better of two options, but it would've been cool for it to not be a choice between "abuse at home" or "abuse at school".

I think it requires a really hands-on approach. Like, you can't half-rear end it, and a lot of parents are just too overworked, too tired, to be handling those duties. I had a lot of embarrassing gaps in my knowledge for a long time even with a stay-at-home mom. Public school, from all I've seen, isn't really a better system, but it's often all you have if you're already poor and need childcare during the day.

I also think homeschooling can very easily be a vector for abusive parenting like anti-vaccination and cult poo poo. There's a far gap between "rural family with abusive parents that keeps their kids homeschooled to teach them from the bible" and "rich family that hires a bunch of tutors for their little brat because they don't want them associating with The Chaff" and it's pretty hard to have any productive conversation on homeschooling because so many people think of the first one whenever they hear it and a term that encapsulates such a broad range of experiences is not really conducive to debate.

Speaking of debate, the kindest thing you can do for someone who was homeschooled is not immediately spring into giving your unsolicited opinion on whether or not Homeschooling Bad. People really want to give their uneducated jackass opinions whenever you mention you were homeschooled in any context, which typically begin and end at real brain genius stuff like "school was great for me, so it must be great for everyone". I grew up with a lot of that and it was exhausting, especially when it involved implying that I was permanently hosed up and would never be the same as my peers because of it.

In my humble homeschooled opinion, schools need more funding, and there needs to be more support for brainfucked kids like me who do not fit in as well with their peers. What that would look like, I have no idea. I would've preferred to go to school in some hypothetical safe environment, but that's, well, ancient history. In general, children need socialization to help improve their odds of turning out well, and homeschooling makes that difficult for a variety of reasons. More community-based stuff where children have places to meet and mingle outside of a school environment would've helped me a lot.

This is all ignoring the huge raging pandemic going on right now where I really don't think kids should be attending in-person schooling period. v :v: v

As youve explicitly said you find it exhausting when people offer their opinion, i apologize; but I firstly hope youre able to get some actual therapy.

I had a homeschooled kid on my soccer team, and his mom was batshit. She was a bit of a recluse germaphobe type and would sit in her car and not interact with other parents.

We probably wouldve been friends if I saw him more often but its tough when youre 12 and only see the kid weekly as opposed to 3 times a day in class.

My other friend went to his house once to play the Nintendo games and said he was only allowed to stay for like 30 minutes before the kids mom kicked him out. His ride wasn't even there yet.

Basically homeschooling seems like a great vehicle for generational trauma.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
A little girl came up to my daughter (9) in a pizza place and said "Hello, my name is Evelynn. I am 10. Would you like to sit and talk with me?" in this weird deadpan. My daughter is pretty much a saint, so she does her best to carry on a conversation. The whole time the girl is... off. Very matter of fact tone about everything. Pretty much no shared culture she can fall back on to talk about. It's all "What do you like to do?" "Are you from around here?" "Do you like animals?"
When asked about what school she goes to, she says she's homeschooled to the surprise of none of the adults at the table.

I can tell that her parents have rehearsed conversations with her to help her out in this situation, but it just came off as creepy. I felt for her, but I was glad when her parents' order came up, and they sat nowhere near us.

When we left the restaurant, my daughter asked what her deal was, and I didn't know what to say.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Poohs Packin posted:

As youve explicitly said you find it exhausting when people offer their opinion, i apologize; but I firstly hope youre able to get some actual therapy.
I have been in therapy on and off for about ten years, yeah.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I was homeschooled. My parents weren't doing it for religious reasons and also made sure we were signed up for group activities. I married another goon so draw what conclusions you want from that.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My neighbors across the street homeschooled all three of their daughters. The daughters are all adults now, moved far away and I think only one has been home maybe two times in the last decade.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

is this a trick question? how would i meet them if they're at home in school?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
There's no way to give all the details without being stunningly obvious to anyone who knows me so I'm going to have to be a little vague to try and remain anonymous. I'm the weird homeschooled kid.

I was homeschooled. Went through several grades rapidly, ended starting college very early, got my BS when I was in my teens. Both parents were physically abusive. Not a spanking every now and then type abusive. I had to put my hands on the stove if they thought I was lying because god would protect me if I wasn't. I got thrown down a gravel driveway for washing the car wrong. I had go eat my homework if I got a B. I was regularly beaten by belts, hair brushes, pancake turners, etc. It got to the point where the pain from the beatings didn't really register. It's hard to explain, it hurt but I sort of stopped crying, I didn't want to give them the satisfaction. My mother screamed at me more after that and called me weird for not crying.

Side note: Years later I was talking to a young woman about it and she was horrified. I told her it wasn't that bad when it was only a page or two, I only rarely had to eat more than six pages. I've normalized alot of weird poo poo.

I wasn't allowed to talk to people outside the family, I wasn't allowed to have any friends until I was in my early teens, then one semester I barely got a 4.0 so my mom told me I couldn't hang out with Luke anymore. I can guarantee Luke is either on GBS or 4chan so if he's reading this, I'm sorry bro I didn't have a choice.

Made it into grad school, kept having nervous breakdowns. Had a couple half assed suicide attempts, ran away to Ohio. I hated dealing with people because they made no sense. I was missing years of interpersonal relations and experiences to build upon, and something in me sort of shut off after Luke. Speaking with people still makes me uncomfortable because it feels like everyone else got a detailed script on how to be normal and I'm stuck with improv.

Years later I was diagnosed as an adult as being on the spectrum which made sense and was comforting in a way. At least now my issues made sense. I can talk for hours on random obscure poo poo but would rather be shot at again than make small talk in a bar.

So after dropping out of 2 graduate programs I had a nice stretch of working like a normal person for about a year and a half. Legit one of the best times in my life. I felt fine, then got guilted by my parents into trying a third graduate program even though the last two made me suicidal.

I turned 21 in that program, discovered booze one month and oxycontin the next. This was back when oxycontin was the real deal and readily available. That went about as well as you'd expect. Had a bad habit for over ten years with a brief break where I decided I should join the Army. Sold drugs to support my habit. Did a lot of bad poo poo I know was wrong and I have no desire to do again but I don't feel guilty about any of it. Sometimes that bothers me.

Years later I'm clean and I make good money but there's no point IMHO. I'm divorced, have two great kids but I have zero emotional ties to anyone except my kids. I date and treat women well, I'm very up front about my past and who I am, they fall in love with me and I say it back but deep down I wonder if I'm even capable of it. I just don't feel connected to anything.

So if you want to learn about homeschooling, how to handle a legit beating, accelerated learning or the lingering effects of isolating a primate from other primates, AMA.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lol this poo poo is so dark

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The lighter side: I have had threesomes with two different women who were homeschooled. Homeschooled people can either turn out ultra right-wing or ultra left-wing. There is no inbetween

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Dr. Quarex posted:

The lighter side: I have had threesomes with two different women who were homeschooled. Homeschooled people can either turn out ultra right-wing or ultra left-wing. There is no inbetween

Beg to differ. I hold far left AND far right views and I don't believe they contradict each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

rxcowboy posted:

Beg to differ. I hold far left AND far right views and I don't believe they contradict each other.
:chanpop: noooo my fanfic!!!

I guess that makes sense though. My more recent homeschooled friend is incredibly liberal but also somehow absolutely must do all the cooking and cleaning at home for her husband despite also being a literal diplomat