Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Greets all. The Virginia Election is ongoing so to help limit the traffic to US Current Events, we're shifting over here.

Race is between Mcauliffe (D) and Youngkin (R), with Princess Blanding running as an Libertarian :911: . This thread will be fast moving given the election is today.

Youth Decay posted:

Princess Blanding is running under the "Liberation Party" (not to be confused with the PSL), not Libertarian. The Liberation Party doesn't even have its own website and Blanding is its only candidate so she's basically running as a left-wing independent.

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2021

There are also other things and people on the ballot:

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_elections,_2021

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There are several other statewide/local races happening today so you may want to change the scope of the thread to encompass them.

I think Minneapolis has a vote on disbanding the police? And while Murphy's pretty much a lock in NJ the entire state legislature is up for reelection, I believe.

Ballotpedia might help you out here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RBA Starblade posted:

When do they count mail-in ballots anyway? Mine said they accept them until Friday.

For the curious

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

There are several other statewide/local races happening today so you may want to change the scope of the thread to encompass them.

I think Minneapolis has a vote on disbanding the police? And while Murphy's pretty much a lock in NJ the entire state legislature is up for reelection, I believe.

Ballotpedia might help you out here.

Thanks, I will update the OP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I have no skin in the game, I'm just here for the wailing and gnashing of teeth to ensue from what's happening. No matter what, there will be some wailing and gnashing, it's politics.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fun that with Predictit we can all have some sort of involvement, even if the race isn't our own state.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I think Princess Blanding still has a shot

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Princess Blanding is running under the "Liberation Party" (not to be confused with the PSL), not Libertarian. The Liberation Party doesn't even have its own website and Blanding is its only candidate so she's basically running as a left-wing independent.

That said, enough people are going to misread Liberation as Libertarian that she might take votes from both candidates lol. The Libertarian always gets a few percent in gubernatorial elections here.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... is her name actually Princess Blanding, or is that just some odd nickname people gave her?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A vote for a libertarian candidate is a vote for the Democrat. But a vote for the non-democratic candidate is a vote for the Republican?

So if someone is an idiot and votes for Blanding because they think they're a libertarian, is that a wash?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Voted early, by mail-in ballot, for Terry and made sure to deliver my ballot in person to my registrar's office. I'm not going to follow this too closely, because mentally I can't handle another stressful election night, but I think Terry is probably going to win.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Randalor posted:

So... is her name actually Princess Blanding, or is that just some odd nickname people gave her?

That's her real name, champ.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Randalor posted:

Yes, her name is Princess Blanding. Not any weirder than Linwood, Mills, Albertis, Colgate (seriously this dude was named Colgate), Westmoreland or any of the other old white guys that have held the Virginia governor's seat.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
As far as I understand the virginia election, it might be a model for successful conservative recovery via their neo-model white grievance culture war model. Shouting a lot about critical race theory basically being the newest way to push whites to the polls to defy the forces of progressivism and leftism by stoking the clear image of race replacement.

I mean, it's obviously working. CRT isn't even taught in virginia. But it lets conservatives put "race" front and center while pretending they aren't doing what they're doing.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
IMO TMac wins and it’s “disturbingly close” (within 2%) but easily called tonight.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

IMO TMac wins and it’s “disturbingly close” (within 2%) but easily called tonight.

Kinda curious how much (if any) red mirage there will be with all the early voting happening.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Kinda curious how much (if any) red mirage there will be with all the early voting happening.

Early voting was made a lot more equitable by the dem assembly in state so probably not much more than the usual early count being sparsely populated (read red) districts first.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Youth Decay posted:

I guess they have changed the way votes are counted such that early votes and absentee votes began being processed seven days before election day. So we are actually going to see a blue shift in the initial results, which will represent early/absentee votes, and then a red shift as the rural areas get their election day results in, and then a final blue shift as the returns come in from urban areas.

e: Also like Oracle said we don't know for sure that partisan split of early votes vs. election day votes will break down as neatly as it did a year ago. I still think that the election day vote will favor Youngkin and the early votes McAuliffe, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Good luck, VA! Do the right thing, do the needful.

When I lived in Virginia my polling place was an elementary school literally across the street and around the corner from my rental, and it was always a pleasure to go vote.

Good luck!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I've noticed this guy being quite vocal and engaging in data analysis when looking into the Virginia race during these past couple of months. He's optimistic for the Dems, but I guess there are caveats.

https://mobile.twitter.com/samshirazim/status/1455572762660151300

There are general complaints that T-Mac left it late to do GOTV work in the African-American communities, which might be based on outdated ideas on how those voters live and what they like.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BruneElections/status/1455585189745278986

And at least Fairfax is trying to do its part.

No matter what, I'm nervous.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's raining in most of the state. Is that good or bad?

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How are u posted:

Good luck, VA! Do the right thing, do the needful.

When I lived in Virginia my polling place was an elementary school literally across the street and around the corner from my rental, and it was always a pleasure to go vote.

Good luck!

While I hope Princess wins, I’m not sure if we can count on Virginia to “do the right thing” in this situation.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

camoseven posted:

I've always wondered if rain really affects turnout. I'm a weirdo, so I've waited in long, outdoor lines to vote. Then again, I've never lived in a place where voter suppression was in full swing and they made it as hard as possible to vote.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

camoseven posted:

Good for depressing turnout among casual voters and old people who don't want to drive/stand outside in bad weather. It can be ameliorated by short lines and easy in/out access to voting locations though, as well as with mail in voting/early voting.

So in this case its likely a wash unless someone's expecting a last minute surge of unlikely voters/traditional 'I only vote in person on the day of' types.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
So, yet again, we're in a situation where the poll-based electoral analysis of the election haltingly favors the democrats but there's still a lot of nervous tension. Story's become very familiar recently.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455592521078300675

People do seem to be turning out.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kavros posted:

As far as I understand the virginia election, it might be a model for successful conservative recovery via their neo-model white grievance culture war model. Shouting a lot about critical race theory basically being the newest way to push whites to the polls to defy the forces of progressivism and leftism by stoking the clear image of race replacement.

I mean, it's obviously working. CRT isn't even taught in virginia. But it lets conservatives put "race" front and center while pretending they aren't doing what they're doing.
There has been a heavy focus on transphobia too.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yah, I voted for Princess and really hope she wins, but I think McAuliffe is going to win by a very small margin.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Murdstone posted:

There has been a heavy focus on transphobia too.

Ah, but of course, how could I forget.

ughhhhhhh

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's her real name, champ.

Youth Decay posted:

Yes, her name is Princess Blanding. Not any weirder than Linwood, Mills, Albertis, Colgate (seriously this dude was named Colgate), Westmoreland or any of the other old white guys that have held the Virginia governor's seat.

Oh, okay. The USNews thread was the first time I had ever heard of her before, so I was just curious.

Sailor Jim
Apr 1, 2010
Reporting in from VA with two votes for Not Youngkin (my wife and me).

In related news, I was accosted in the parking lot by several people waving signs, handing out “sample ballots” with the bubbles already filled in for your convenience, and several jokesters asking if my 1 year old daughter was going to vote, too.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thom12255 posted:

People do seem to be turning out.

doingmypart.gif

Fingers hella crossed. Went in this morning, wasn't too busy but I was like third in line. My mom's been out knocking on doors last couple weekends, said she was well received at least.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Sailor Jim posted:

Reporting in from VA with two votes for Not Youngkin (my wife and me).

In related news, I was accosted in the parking lot by several people waving signs, handing out “sample ballots” with the bubbles already filled in for your convenience, and several jokesters asking if my 1 year old daughter was going to vote, too.

Are you in SW VA perhaps?

Sailor Jim
Apr 1, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Are you in SW VA perhaps?

Roanoke! A tiny island of blue awash in a sea of red.

My wife was very impressed with my witty comebacks.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Sailor Jim posted:

Roanoke! A tiny island of blue awash in a sea of red.

My wife was very impressed with my witty comebacks.

It would suck if your wife hated your jokes. :)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

So if you peek in on the gossip that number dorks are posting, there's no clear signs of what the night will hold.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/lists/706696973345107968 (Thanks to Quorum for putting this list together.)

Good turnout in some heavy R areas. Good turnout in some heavy D areas. Worrying turnout in some minority-heavy neighborhoods.

And since you don't have party registration information, it's hard to tell if you're missing a big swing and/or how much people might have crossed over.

I suppose Youngkin really needs to blow past 2017 margins in his areas and it's not clear whether or not he's on pace to do that. It'll be also hard to tell until the count comes in how badly margins might have eroded in D-leaning areas like Henrico County.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This race will be a fantastic precursor to how midterms will go.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
At this point I think that Virginia is an example of a race that Mcauliffe can win only because the dems have it at present and thus existing republican control of the state wasn't in place to strategically remove the margins of competitiveness through electoral "reforms"

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Eric Cantonese posted:

It'll be also hard to tell until the count comes in how badly margins might have eroded in D-leaning areas like Henrico County.

I happened to drive through a bunch of Henrico suburbs on Sunday, and if my super scientific poll of yards signs is accurate then T-Mac is hosed there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously goons this race is going to really show how the political tides are rolling. I'd highly advise you pay attention this evening.