Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Kirios posted:

Seriously goons this race is going to really show how the political tides are rolling I'd highly advise you pay attention this evening.

Buddy we are posting on a dead comedy forum at 3:38pm eastern about it. I think we're paying attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kirios posted:

Seriously goons this race is going to really show how the political tides are rolling. I'd highly advise you pay attention this evening.

Or go to bed early and then wake up tomorrow morning and you'll know.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Epicurius posted:

Or go to bed early and then wake up tomorrow morning and you'll know.

Hi from Copenhagen!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Kirios posted:

Seriously goons this race is going to really show how the political tides are rolling. I'd highly advise you pay attention this evening.

This is a carnival game where the only thing I can win by participating is a spiky, elevated pulse for a surprise number of hours/and or days. All the political narratives for what this election result actually means have already been decided and written in advance by all respective camps in media or party, and they will literally always include "suggests the dems are in disarray" regardless of outcome

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455625211362095111?t=--zHmS4SzEtJRWu8Lv6-Og&s=19

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
That's hopeful news. Turnout isn't necessarily always a sure winner for Dems considering the last election showed there was still untapped potential on the R side, but in this case it's probably going to lean D.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

It was pretty nice to be able to vote on a Saturday. I'm sure plenty of Republicans out there feel the same though.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

It was pretty nice to be able to vote on a Saturday. I'm sure plenty of Republicans out there feel the same though.

Yeah it makes sense turnout would be good. Voting is so much easier now. Like he says, hard to say for sure if that benefits one side.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Kirios posted:

This race will be a fantastic precursor to how midterms will go.

I really can't think of anything more useless for how the midterms will go than a gubernatorial race a full year ahead of them, but people are certainly going to SAY that its the be-all-end-all of nostradamusing the midterms (especially if New Jersey Gov is a Dem blowout, because that won't count I guess.) No matter what the result is (except an unexpected Dem blowout like the California recall, because those never count) it will useful as a tool for whatever political point people want to push, so we'll be hearing about is for the next nine months.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zeron posted:

That's hopeful news. Turnout isn't necessarily always a sure winner for Dems considering the last election showed there was still untapped potential on the R side, but in this case it's probably going to lean D.

Only if you can activate the usually Never Voter Ner'do'Wells like Trump does.

And no other Republican has proven up to the task of doing that so far, and as much the right wing has coalesced around their new dumb idiot bullshit no one with a functioning brain should actually care about like :siren: CRITICAL RACE THEORY :siren:, none of them have the galaxybrain GodEmperor reverse Charisma Trump has to them.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

Knew a husband and wife conservative team who intentionally want voting to only take place during work hours

so that only people who are valuable enough to capitalism that they may request time off in advance for it — and DESIRE the right to vote enough to make that sacrifice — will vote

When I asked them what they would do if their work refused to permit time off and would fire them if they left to vote, they said "We would take it directly to the county commissioner! You don't infringe on our rights like that"

And no, they came to no realization based off that contradition

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

I really can't think of anything more useless for how the midterms will go than a gubernatorial race a full year ahead of them, but people are certainly going to SAY that its the be-all-end-all of nostradamusing the midterms (especially if New Jersey Gov is a Dem blowout, because that won't count I guess.) No matter what the result is (except an unexpected Dem blowout like the California recall, because those never count) it will useful as a tool for whatever political point people want to push, so we'll be hearing about is for the next nine months.

I generally agree that you can't make sweeping next-year predictions, but as I pointed out in the usnews thread a few times, if you see swings from D to R or vice versa in certain congressional districts this year (for non-congressional races) it won't bode well for the currently prevailing party's chances next year.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah. Where the country was at on the last election vaguely equated to "senate majority by a fingernail"

any downward progress from there is back to the status quo of (R) obstructs any progress then uses frustration at lack of progress to hold power, then fix elections so they aren't competitive anymore

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

camoseven posted:

I happened to drive through a bunch of Henrico suburbs on Sunday, and if my super scientific poll of yards signs is accurate then T-Mac is hosed there

I didn't recall seeing much Northam yard signage compared to... I have completely forgotten who his Republican opponent was in that election lol, they're all interchangeable empty suits (currently filled to the brim with Trumpian talking points) with some deranged neo-Confederates thrown in.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kavros posted:

Knew a husband and wife conservative team who intentionally want voting to only take place during work hours

so that only people who are valuable enough to capitalism that they may request time off in advance for it — and DESIRE the right to vote enough to make that sacrifice — will vote

When I asked them what they would do if their work refused to permit time off and would fire them if they left to vote, they said "We would take it directly to the county commissioner! You don't infringe on our rights like that"

And no, they came to no realization based off that contradition

So are unemployed people allowed to vote under their plan because there might be some unintended outcome here.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

VitalSigns posted:

So are unemployed people allowed to vote under their plan because there might be some unintended outcome here.

The error you are making is to put literally any thought into it beyond being sure it will work the way you think, and being happy that you can say it at any time, even a previously amicable dinner, and power-alienate your son's friends

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kirios posted:

eh, not really. i think dems need to be real worried about midterms regardless of how mcauliffe does. the only thing that could change that is if he loses instead, in which case dems go from real worried to 'we are totally hosed oh god'

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Booo

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1455642240689258497

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455635356326502405

We're screwed!

I mean I guess it depends on how many people are in these places.. getting 110% of the 2017 vote in Fairfax county could be a bigger increase in total votes than 200% increases in the chud villes where less than 5,000 people vote.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455635356326502405

We're screwed!

I mean I guess it depends on how many people are in these places.. getting 110% of the 2017 vote in Fairfax county could be a bigger increase in total votes than 200% increases in the chud villes where less than 5,000 people vote.

It's also only 20 minutes after 5, so people who waited until after work will be hitting polls soon.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Summary of today's elections & their poll-closing times:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HERESY!

my phone autocapitalized that lol, i post too much in and about the paradise lost cyoa apparently

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Who needs the needle when we can just do it to ourselves?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kavros posted:

Who needs the needle when we can just do it to ourselves?

Silence apostate.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Is anything that Dave is referencing taking into account the early vote or just today’s vote?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455646278877126659

He also posted this but like others have said it’s 5:30pm and people in urban areas are getting off work and could go show up to vote. Polls close at 7 though.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dumb question of the day: what does vote count vs "protected vote count" on the ballot scanner mean? It said I was #368 in my tiny gerrymandered-rear end precinct but #905 of protected votes.

Also if I ever run for office "make the 'I Voted' sticker stickier" will be a key part of my platform. I swear they always fall off after 5 minutes.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There are lots of youngkin signs at my polling place and no McAuliffe ones, quick everyone panic! (I'm in NOVA it's goinf for McAuliffe)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1455645290648719361
This is a very scary poll but I assume it's not counting early voters? I hope?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RachelBitecofer/status/1455644294094594049

Ugh. Heartburn fuel.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Election day voting was always going to skew GOP since so many Ds are voting early or absentee by mail. This in and of itself isn't necessarily a terrible sign.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Can I get paid 400 thousand dollars a year for amazing technical expertise such as "There is evidence to favor both Democrats and Republicans, only one set of evidence will be correct."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bear in mind that Youngkin is already alleging voter fraud and has vowed to request a recount if he doesn't win, because that's just what Republicans do now, so if it's close this might go on for a while. Hopefully it'll be T-Mac by at least a few points.

I am prepared to watch this thread freak the gently caress out for the 3+ hours until NoVa gets its votes in though. They lag behind every time, Virginia's been in the spotlight since 2008 y'all should know this by now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can someone help me connect the dots of what my father told me about something regarding Mcauliffe being responsible for a bunch of rest room closures because he couldn't get a tax bill passed?

The only things I can find are from 2009 and Mcauliffe wasn't even governor then?

I know my dad is dumb as gently caress but I can't figure out why he's tying this to him.

E: he's also claiming that McAuliffe is going to challenge the results if he loses and says that Mcauliffe has already stated that he will do that but I can't find that either.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Virginia state house races to watch:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455656510806241283

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Glumwheels posted:

Is anything that Dave is referencing taking into account the early vote or just today’s vote?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455646278877126659

He also posted this but like others have said it’s 5:30pm and people in urban areas are getting off work and could go show up to vote. Polls close at 7 though.

Not that I doubt his conclusion but I don't see how that statistic is evidence in support what he's trying to say. It isn't hard to make up a hypothetical distribution that is dominated by a few counties and still has that property because "more pro-trump than the state as a whole" is a moving target

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Roem should be safe right? Her opponent is a hardcore Trumpist.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Hurst is an idiot who got pulled over by the cops last night for driving around pulling up Youngkin yard signs outside polling stations WHILE HAVING A SUSPENDED LICENSE. Which still isn't as bad as getting pulled over for DUI's multiple times the past few years.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Not that I doubt his conclusion but I don't see how that statistic is evidence in support what he's trying to say. It isn't hard to make up a hypothetical distribution that is dominated by a few counties and still has that property because "more pro-trump than the state as a whole" is a moving target

everything rn is reading tea leaves and flipping a coin is just a likely to give you a correct guess as whatever the analysts are thinking, either treat the guessing like the show it is or ignore the election until the morning when there's enough results to tell the actual outcome

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Youth Decay posted:

Be interesting to see if any of these are folks who are nova/beltway vote blue no matter who, but might still answer "unfavorable" when asked about a D candidate by a pollster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Youth Decay posted:

it does, in fact, include early voters