Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If he leads them to victory and gives them control of the planet by virtue of his leadership, isn’t he actually their messiah? They’re instrumental to his development into a wise king and he is one of them, blood aside, like Moses or Lawerence of Arabia—he doesn’t just decide to exploit them. Does the book really say that a jihad is bad, or just that wars are regrettable but inevitable and righteous when it’s a good king against a bad king?

The messiah thing is 100% real insofar as Paul actually is a genetic superman produced by the totally real art of eugenics, which makes him have way more potential than other men, something brought out by a genteel upbringing combined with the asceticism and harsh situation of the morally righteous arab rebels. Am I not reading that part right? It’s still an enjoyable story.

The jihad and the "victory" he leads them to isn't their victory - why would the Fremen want to wage a galactic war when their beef is that they just want to be left alone? - and it ultimately leads to the destruction of their entire society. By the end, there are only larpers pretending to be Fremen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The jihad and the "victory" he leads them to isn't their victory - why would the Fremen want to wage a galactic war when their beef is that they just want to be left alone? - and it ultimately leads to the destruction of their entire society. By the end, there are only larpers pretending to be Fremen.

Because so long as Dune is the only source of spice, they are not going to be left alone. So long as the galactic population outnumbers them a million to one, they are not going to be winning any defensive wars. The strategic logic of the situation demands jihad. Paul’s atomics, and the Spacers’ Guild hardcore spice addiction, makes jihad. possible.

That which is both necessary and possible happens.

It might seem a bit implausible that the few million Fremen would win an offensive war, outside their home territory, against populations of hundreds of billions. But you can fill in the blanks as to what happens when the new Fremen empire can sterilize any planet that resists too hard;.

Readings of Dune where Paul is the villain because of a decision to start a jihad _after_ conquering Arrakis are not really supported by the text. Instead; the parallels between Doctor Yueh and Paul are strong, and probably intentional. Both take a single dramatic action, motivated by revenge, that does change history. Neither has any agency in how the consequences play out.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I haven't read the book, but isn't the eugenics program extremely long-running? That it produced someone capable of affecting great change could just as well be random chance, rather than a thousand years of effort actually succeeding. Not sure how you'd even show great man theory working. Like, the existence of individuals with what appears to be a massive impact on the course of history isn't proof of the theory in reality, so how do you "prove" it in fiction?

Briefly, under the Bene Gesserit plan Paul should have been female (a Bene Gesserit mom through magic superscience can make so the wanted gender happens during fertilization) but Leto wanted a son and Jessica loved him, so Paul was born instead of Paulina. Paulina and Feyd-Rautha's son would have been the Messiah under the original plan.

So I have no idea how the BG created their magic superscience, but it demonstrably works.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

About Dune, I get that the larger book series might critique things like dynastic rule and cool intrigue with nobility etc, but the first book validates eugenics by showing that it works and makes the great man model of history look cool by showing that it works. Herbert might criticize those ideas elsewhere, but I think you have to admit that the first book thinks they’re interesting because it’s all about them. And nobody would read or enjoy it if the truth of the novel were contained in another novel.

It’s not like Bladerunner where the operation of the world constitutes a critique of capitalism as it grinds its characters into hopeless misery. Dune is a successful hero’s journey where a good aristocrat trained in noblesse oblige discovers the will to power. Feudalism itself isn’t a problem other than that some of the nobles are jealous of the one that is too pure of heart.

I’m ok being contradicted on this, as it’s been 15 years since I read it. The new movie is pretty and very much about being a vibe.

A work that features a bad thing but doesn't say explicitly HEY THIS THING IS BAD OK is not pro the bad thing

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

A work that features a bad thing but doesn't say explicitly HEY THIS THING IS BAD OK is not pro the bad thing

Also, the book does, in fact, go out of its way to say that the Jihad is bad and that Paul is losing control of his own "Great Man" legend:

Dune posted:

There was no past occupying the future in his mind …
except … except … he could still sense the green and black Atreides banner
waving … somewhere ahead … still see the jihad’s bloody swords and fanatic
legions.
It will not be, he told himself. I cannot let it be.
Paul sat silently in the darkness, a single stark thought dominating his
awareness: My mother is my enemy. She does not know it, but she is. She is
bringing the jihad. She bore me; she trained me. She is my enemy.
He felt that this Fremen world was fishing for him, trying to snare him in its
ways. And he knew what lay in that snare—the wild jihad, the religious war he
felt he should avoid at any cost.
It had been a strange day with these two standing guard over him because he
asked it, keeping away the curious, allowing him the time to nurse his thoughts
and prescient memories, to plan a way to prevent the jihad.
Now, standing beside his mother on the cavern ledge and looking out at the
throng, he wondered if any plan could prevent the wild outpouring of fanatic
legions.
The more he resisted his terrible purpose and fought against the coming of
the jihad, the greater the turmoil that wove through his prescience. His entire
future was becoming like a river hurtling toward a chasm—the violent nexus
beyond which all was fog and clouds.
Half pridefully, Paul thought: I cannot do the simplest thing without its becoming a legend. They
will mark how I parted from Chani, how I greet Stilgar—every move I make this
day. Live or die, it is a legend. I must not die. Then it will be only legend and
nothing to stop the jihad.
In that instant, Paul saw how Stilgar had been transformed from the Fremen
naib to a creature of the Lisan al-Gaib, a receptacle for awe and obedience. It
was a lessening of the man, and Paul felt the ghost-wind of the jihad in it.
I have seen a friend become a worshiper, he thought.
Muad’Dib from whom all blessings flow,he thought, and it was the bitterest
thought of his life. They sense that I must take the throne, he thought. But they
cannot know I do it to prevent the jihad.
He had thought to oppose the jihad within himself, but the jihad would be.
His legions would rage out from Arrakis even without him. They needed only
the legend he already had become. He had shown them the way, given them
mastery even over the Guild which must have the spice to exist.
This is the climax, Paul thought. From here, the future will open, the clouds
part onto a kind of glory. And if I die here, they’ll say I sacrificed myself that my
spirit might lead them. And if I live, they’ll say nothing can oppose Muad’Dib.

This is all from the first book.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 23, 2021

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

radmonger posted:

Because so long as Dune is the only source of spice, they are not going to be left alone. So long as the galactic population outnumbers them a million to one, they are not going to be winning any defensive wars. The strategic logic of the situation demands jihad. Paul’s atomics, and the Spacers’ Guild hardcore spice addiction, makes jihad. possible.

That which is both necessary and possible happens.

It might seem a bit implausible that the few million Fremen would win an offensive war, outside their home territory, against populations of hundreds of billions. But you can fill in the blanks as to what happens when the new Fremen empire can sterilize any planet that resists too hard;.

Aside from the Harkonnen's pogrom, the Fremen are largely left alone. They secretly bribe the Guild to maintain that situation. And they don't need to even fight defensive wars because when threatened they just disappear into the deep desert where they thrive. Note that the Harkonnen pogrom is much more costly to the Harkonnen than the Fremen. The Harkonnen don't even realize just how many Fremen there are.

So the Jihad is not necessary. And far from being an event that preserves the Fremen against the rest of the universe; it is the event that leads to the downfall and eventual dissolution of Fremen culture into what a previous poster accurately called "cosplay."

quote:

Readings of Dune where Paul is the villain because of a decision to start a jihad _after_ conquering Arrakis are not really supported by the text. Instead; the parallels between Doctor Yueh and Paul are strong, and probably intentional. Both take a single dramatic action, motivated by revenge, that does change history. Neither has any agency in how the consequences play out.

Readings of Paul as a villain or a hero aren't supported by the text because the text is trying to complicate the very notions of hero and villain. Your comparison between Paul and Yueh is apt, though I would add that Paul could have agency in how the consequences play out by taking the Golden Path, but Paul feels that he is already responsible for more than enough tyranny and destruction. In the end, Paul becomes a sort of hero by giving up on being a messiah.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Again, you can diagnose the ideological contradictions and lacunae in a text, but that’s not the same thing as saying that the author arranged a specific irony for you to discover.

Who cares about authorial intent?

(I care, actually, I'm not a 100% death of the author believer, but art becomes evergreen when we can understand it and apply it outside of what the author was attempting to do and the time it was written)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Who cares about authorial intent?

(I care, actually, I'm not a 100% death of the author believer, but art becomes evergreen when we can understand it and apply it outside of what the author was attempting to do and the time it was written)

In the specific case of Paul's Jihad, I think we can dispense with Herbert thinking it's "pretty cool" by the facts that it exists as probably the most notable and significant lacuna in the entire series--it's never narrated, happening in the gap between Dune and Messiah--and when it is discussed on either side, it's presented as either this ominous event looming in the near future or this grand-scale galactic tragedy that leads Paul to conclude that he is literally worse than Hitler by a few orders of magnitude.

There's the old chestnut about how you can't make an anti-war film because depicting war will be inevitably read by some of your audience as glorifying war. Dune gets around this problem by just not depicting the war it is condemning.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

So the Jihad is not necessary. And far from being an event that preserves the Fremen against the rest of the universe; it is the event that leads to the downfall and eventual dissolution of Fremen culture into what a previous poster accurately called "cosplay."

‘Orientalism’, broadly defined, is the fallacy of thinking that the things that people most value about their own culture is the things that make it distinctive.

For example, defining ‘Fremen culture’ solely by the elements that make interesting notBBC holodocumentaries telling the rest of the galaxy about the noble ways of the desert tribes.

In terms of actual Fremen culture, it is nonsense. What Fremen culturally want is to turn Arrakis into a paradise planet. Which means no deserts, and so no worms. And no spice, except perhaps whatever minimal amount you can get from dwarf sandworms in zoos. They have been working on that very hard for a very long time.

Not only is the book quite clear on that, a film that leaves out every possible background detail it can spends a whole scene explaining it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PeterWeller posted:

There's the old chestnut about how you can't make an anti-war film because depicting war will be inevitably read by some of your audience as glorifying war. Dune gets around this problem by just not depicting the war it is condemning.

But there’s a problem with not portraying it too: It’s easier to just kind of ignore it if you’re inclined to do so. At the end of the day, Paul still Lawrence of Arabias some oppressed cool elite warrior people to kick the rear end of the Unquestionably Bad Guys. The book tries really had to attach “but this ends up bad!” to this story, but it can only really do so in interludes that are told, not shown. The bones of the plot aren’t really subversive.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

radmonger posted:

‘Orientalism’, broadly defined, is the fallacy of thinking that the things that people most value about their own culture is the things that make it distinctive.

For example, defining ‘Fremen culture’ solely by the elements that make interesting notBBC holodocumentaries telling the rest of the galaxy about the noble ways of the desert tribes.

In terms of actual Fremen culture, it is nonsense. What Fremen culturally want is to turn Arrakis into a paradise planet. Which means no deserts, and so no worms. And no spice, except perhaps whatever minimal amount you can get from dwarf sandworms in zoos. They have been working on that very hard for a very long time.

Not only is the book quite clear on that, a film that leaves out every possible background detail it can spends a whole scene explaining it.

It's not unfair to invoke Said when discussing Dune, but I'd argue that the Orientalism is Dune's own doing and not a fallacy on my part. The Fremen definitely do value their nomadic desert way of life. Many become disillusioned with the ecological project, some to the point of conspiring against Paul, for the very reason that it's destroying that way of life. It seems that the Fremen value the promise of a paradise more than the actual paradise. I'd also note that the ecological project is not something they've been working on for a very long time; it began under Pardot Kynes. It is, like so many other parts of their culture, the product of an outsider's influence.

raminasi posted:

But there’s a problem with not portraying it too: It’s easier to just kind of ignore it if you’re inclined to do so. At the end of the day, Paul still Lawrence of Arabias some oppressed cool elite warrior people to kick the rear end of the Unquestionably Bad Guys. The book tries really had to attach “but this ends up bad!” to this story, but it can only really do so in interludes that are told, not shown. The bones of the plot aren’t really subversive.

I mean, sure, yeah, you can ignore what the books are telling you. I don't know why you would. A guideline from Creative Writing 101 doesn't strike me as a good reason to do so.

But more importantly, yes, the bones of the plot are not themselves subversive because the well-worn heroic journey plot is exactly what is being subverted.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm reminded of how in the Dune RTS you also had House Ordos throwing done in Dune and suddenly the Guild's quiet simmering rage at the Emperor's incompetence makes a lot more sense.

The current discussion about the Heroes Journey also reminds of an interesting video by SolePorpoise about how Bloodborne subverts the Heroes Journey; primarily how the transition from gothic to cosmic horror basically shocks the player, the realization that they've been inconsequential bit players on a cosmic stage deeply disturbs the player, and everything suddenly feels wrong.

e: to bring this back to Dune, I was looking into whether a Villainous version of the Heroes Journey exists, and it doesn't really seem there is one, which implies that the journey of a Hero or a Villain are the same with different destinations?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 28, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

re: to bring this back to Dune, I was looking into whether a Villainous version of the Heroes Journey exists, and it doesn't really seem there is one, which implies that the journey of a Hero or a Villain are the same with different destinations?

Lord Ashram in Record of Lodoss War might begin to get there...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'd like to see if I can stay awake through the new Dune film as I liked the novels a good deal. I'll echo the thoughts in this thread, in that I always felt Dune was a pretty hard refutation of great man / white savior literature. An earlier poster made the point that subsequent to the action, Paul had no real control of the Jihad or anything surrounding it and this is fundamentally true - he just bluntly and blatantly does something that is portrayed as a significant evil in result.

Leto II shouldn't be read as a white savior either, I don't think - but admittedly I struggle a little more in saying that definitively. I'd contend more that by the point of God Emperor of Dune, Herbert was significantly more interested in writing about this weird alien he had created (in the sense that Leto II is one of the most inhuman characters I've read) than he was trying to comment on the world in which he (Herbert) lived. It's pretty telling, the novel is written fairly differently than the surrounding pieces.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Leto II 2.0, the one who became the God Emperor and not the one who died as a baby, was a native born Fremen who knew no other life, or well would've if not for the circumstances of his birth. I guess it's part of why God Emperor is my favorite of the original good books...reminded me a lot of so many Culture novels where the lesson is pain and there's no good guys or good things even if the outcome is the best one possible. Also the scene where someone climbed a cliff so well somebody watching them had an orgasm

It's not something I think that can be addressed well in movie form unfortunately, but I'm willing to give it a chance if only because I'm horny of Villeneuve's big sweeping majestic settings. It really does feel like a setting more amenable to a long running mini-series but I don't think I'd trust anybody to do it except for whoever did Deadwood

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: to bring this back to Dune, I was looking into whether a Villainous version of the Heroes Journey exists, and it doesn't really seem there is one, which implies that the journey of a Hero or a Villain are the same with different destinations?

"Thanos is secretly the protagonist of Infinity War" was the Hot Take of the season when that movie came out, and it kinda makes sense in a Mechanics of Storytelling sort of way

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DarklyDreaming posted:

"Thanos is secretly the protagonist of Infinity War" was the Hot Take of the season when that movie came out, and it kinda makes sense in a Mechanics of Storytelling sort of way

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Yeah as it turns out a lot of people are attracted to a narrative involving a Hard Man Making Hard Choices For The Greater Good. Even in the fictional world where the person who scrawled that was undoubtedly a victim of those choices.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If he leads them to victory and gives them control of the planet by virtue of his leadership, isn’t he actually their messiah? They’re instrumental to his development into a wise king and he is one of them, blood aside, like Moses or Lawerence of Arabia—he doesn’t just decide to exploit them.
That comparison is kinda flawed considering Lawrence knew that the cause the arabs were fighting for was a lie and that arab indepence was not on the table.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah as it turns out a lot of people are attracted to a narrative involving a Hard Man Making Hard Choices For The Greater Good. Even in the fictional world where the person who scrawled that was undoubtedly a victim of those choices.
Nah, that's not why Thanos Was Right. It's nothing to do with the man or the greater good, it's just that people on average are awful, so it you get rid of half of them at random it's a net good.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've read an argument somewhere that the villain's journey is the same as the hero's, except the villain never changes. Even the tragic heroes who don't realize their mistake or whatever until the last moment still have that transformation.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Alhazred posted:

That comparison is kinda flawed considering Lawrence knew that the cause the arabs were fighting for was a lie and that arab indepence was not on the table.

Probably the better historical model is the British general who founded the Arab Legion, and ended up leading it in the 1948 War with Israel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bagot_Glubb

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

I assumed it's more the marvel world equivalent of goons putting Benny Hill over 9/11 video

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Smeef posted:

I've read an argument somewhere that the villain's journey is the same as the hero's, except the villain never changes. Even the tragic heroes who don't realize their mistake or whatever until the last moment still have that transformation.

Hrm, I think Villains can change, just not always for the better, and there's probably at least some such examples of characters who become their true selves as a villain after reaching some sort of apotheosis.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Thanos lacked the conviction to see his task through to its end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
In the actual movie thanos' plan wasn't even necessarily to destroy half of life. His thing was on his own dying world saying "hey if we don't kill half of people the world will end, we need to have a fair lottery to determine" and then the good guys say "nah, lets not" and then everyone dying. He then found a second world with the same issue (gammora's world) and did it then everything on that planet was great and it became a paradise.

His original plan with the stones was to be that sort of hated necessary evil, cruel but fair, a force of nature balancing things. It shrunk down to flat "kill half of everyone" because he got stabbed by the avengers and lost so he enacted the claim he had said earlier that with the stones he could have saved his planet "with the snap of a finger". If he was let to enact his whole plan it would have been decisions LIKE that, not just literally that one only.

Which is actually a fairly interesting trolly problem sort of character. He was a savior willing to sacrifice to be the most hated man alive. (but the story got to side step it as a question because he did a "kamikaze move" when defeated and only did a much more overtly pointless and evil simplified section of the plan of "be a force of balance")

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think most of that is right; he only was killed in the original timeline after enacting his plan with the stones which literally did eliminate half of all life. And he did the snap immediately after being wounded by Thor happened way after his talk with Dr. Strange. His encounters with the various Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy/etc didn't change his mind in regards to his plan (but perhaps strengthened his conviction that only he is right). His new plan in the new timeline after seeing the Avengers undo his work is to hard reset everything.

His plan was always eliminate half of all life, I'm not sure where you get the idea that he changed it during Infinity War. The idea of using the stones long term was never realistically going to be Thanos's plan because the radiation they emit will kill their user; its why in the MCU anyways Thanos has the Dwarves make the Gauntlet, to act as a safer way to use the stones long enough to do the Snap and then destroy them when done.

If Thanos had the endurance to use the stones in perpetuity then he'd have had no reason to do the Snap as it is, he could just use the completed Gauntlet to force Thor away and then transport himself away to undo the damage with the Time stone but he couldn't because the moment he placed the Power stone in the gauntlet his life had a time limit because it was slowly killing him the whole movie.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In the actual movie thanos' plan wasn't even necessarily to destroy half of life. His thing was on his own dying world saying "hey if we don't kill half of people the world will end, we need to have a fair lottery to determine" and then the good guys say "nah, lets not" and then everyone dying. He then found a second world with the same issue (gammora's world) and did it then everything on that planet was great and it became a paradise.

His original plan with the stones was to be that sort of hated necessary evil, cruel but fair, a force of nature balancing things. It shrunk down to flat "kill half of everyone" because he got stabbed by the avengers and lost so he enacted the claim he had said earlier that with the stones he could have saved his planet "with the snap of a finger". If he was let to enact his whole plan it would have been decisions LIKE that, not just literally that one only.

Which is actually a fairly interesting trolly problem sort of character. He was a savior willing to sacrifice to be the most hated man alive. (but the story got to side step it as a question because he did a "kamikaze move" when defeated and only did a much more overtly pointless and evil simplified section of the plan of "be a force of balance")

Yeah none of this is right.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think most of that is right; he only was killed in the original timeline after enacting his plan with the stones which literally did eliminate half of all life. And he did the snap immediately after being wounded by Thor happened way after his talk with Dr. Strange. His encounters with the various Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy/etc didn't change his mind in regards to his plan (but perhaps strengthened his conviction that only he is right). His new plan in the new timeline after seeing the Avengers undo his work is to hard reset everything.

His plan was always eliminate half of all life, I'm not sure where you get the idea that he changed it during Infinity War. The idea of using the stones long term was never realistically going to be Thanos's plan because the radiation they emit will kill their user; its why in the MCU anyways Thanos has the Dwarves make the Gauntlet, to act as a safer way to use the stones long enough to do the Snap and then destroy them when done.

If Thanos had the endurance to use the stones in perpetuity then he'd have had no reason to do the Snap as it is, he could just use the completed Gauntlet to force Thor away and then transport himself away to undo the damage with the Time stone but he couldn't because the moment he placed the Power stone in the gauntlet his life had a time limit because it was slowly killing him the whole movie.

Hey, thanks, I've never watched any of these movies and now I don't have to!

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah none of this is right.

oh....nevermind.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is an insane plan that by the very definition of the way life works means that you would have to keep on doing it forever. So instead of using a super powerful device to try and deal with the issue long term Thanatos just fucks off and congratulates himself on a job well done despite fixing nothing. I would have much preferred it if they went with one of his comic book motivations in trying to woo death. Still stupid but at least it makes some actual sense.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

It is an insane plan that by the very definition of the way life works means that you would have to keep on doing it forever. So instead of using a super powerful device to try and deal with the issue long term Thanatos just fucks off and congratulates himself on a job well done despite fixing nothing. I would have much preferred it if they went with one of his comic book motivations in trying to woo death. Still stupid but at least it makes some actual sense.

It really would of been the better option. Especially since they now have no problem introducing people to the really gonzo comic stuff like the celestials.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Or even "I will rewrite reality such that population can no longer exceed carrying capacity, and will cull down randomly if currently exceeding it"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the idea is once half of life is gone the remainder will gain a new sense of respect for the limited resources of the universe; and of what they now have and will work better to better conserve the (allegedly) limited resources going forward; which is what I think is what Thanos alludes to when he says that he will be able to "finally rest, and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thanos is basically just Mitt Romney or the New Democrats' agenda on a grander scale, the end result of the total expunging of all materialist thought from all facets of economics and culture. A villainous scheme premised on the destruction of half the productive capacity of a planet being a magical panacea coming out right before a pandemic killed off like half a percent of the population focused hardest on the "non-productive" and precarious underclasses created a staffing catastrophe is just the darkly humorous icing on the cake.

Kinda wish we get an alternate Earth version where Commie Colossus or Red Son gets the gauntlet and just finger snaps the richest 0.5% and we get a movie exploring the aftermath of that, but I'm pretty sure it'd be the end of every bit of Pentagon support the industry enjoys lol. I'd have more to contribute but honestly Infinity War exhausted me so much that I barely remember it and skipped Endgame entirely. Only Villeneuve should be allowed to make 3 hour long movies.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

That is, forgive me, insanely stupid. Does Thanos think that every reproduction is planned based on the material situation of the parents? What part of the snap makes practicing to reproduce less fun/enticing?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At least when Fate Zero pulled the hard men doing hard things poo poo the ending had the wish granting device basically laugh at the character for being such a loving dumbass.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the idea is once half of life is gone the remainder will gain a new sense of respect for the limited resources of the universe; and of what they now have and will work better to better conserve the (allegedly) limited resources going forward; which is what I think is what Thanos alludes to when he says that he will be able to "finally rest, and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe".

Its this. The whole argument Thanos makes is that when he's done this experiment manually on various planets the long-term result was a glorious success that proves him right. The fact that his logic doesn't hold up just makes him like every other Malthusian. He cherry picks the data that supports his proposition because he's an arrogant narcissist who couldn't possibly be wrong.

You know, like Tony did with Ultron. That's why they're foils for each other in Infinity War and Tony's journey through the whole Saga parallels Thanos' own implied journey when he shares his backstory.

EDIT: Also in Endgame he says this time he'll just rewrite the entire universe to fit in his exact perfection vision, so it's not like that wasn't on the table. It just would have been a less satisfying victory than the "grateful universe," fixing itself because of his one action.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 30, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

You know, like Tony did with Ultron. That's why they're foils for each other in Infinity War and Tony's journey through the whole Saga parallels Thanos' own implied journey when he shares his backstory.

The issue with Ultron is that he tried pulling the same poo poo again but this time it was somehow the right thing to do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

But the point is that Thanos' plan is cruel and doesn't make sense. That's why he's the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

The issue with Ultron is that he tried pulling the same poo poo again but this time it was somehow the right thing to do.

To be fair, Tony had a lot of trust in Jarvis and they needed to do something with the casket to stop Ultron from using it; and they were losing at the time and needed an ace up their sleeve.

Lib and let die posted:

That is, forgive me, insanely stupid. Does Thanos think that every reproduction is planned based on the material situation of the parents? What part of the snap makes practicing to reproduce less fun/enticing?

I think its less the specific number of people only that at least on Titan were already at the precipice and needed to do something drastic immediately. If we assume that Thanos felt that this was the same elsewhere, that galactic civilization was nearing the tipping point of self-destruction; the issue isn't people having too many children, its the socio-economic decisions made up until that tipping point and with a hard reset people can make better decisions so when the population regrows back it is done so sustainably.

Epic High Five posted:

Thanos is basically just Mitt Romney or the New Democrats' agenda on a grander scale, the end result of the total expunging of all materialist thought from all facets of economics and culture. A villainous scheme premised on the destruction of half the productive capacity of a planet being a magical panacea coming out right before a pandemic killed off like half a percent of the population focused hardest on the "non-productive" and precarious underclasses created a staffing catastrophe is just the darkly humorous icing on the cake.

Kinda wish we get an alternate Earth version where Commie Colossus or Red Son gets the gauntlet and just finger snaps the richest 0.5% and we get a movie exploring the aftermath of that, but I'm pretty sure it'd be the end of every bit of Pentagon support the industry enjoys lol. I'd have more to contribute but honestly Infinity War exhausted me so much that I barely remember it and skipped Endgame entirely. Only Villeneuve should be allowed to make 3 hour long movies.

I think there's a lot that's objectionable here but I'm not sure where to start.