Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

selec posted:

The ending of Black Panther was the most cynical deployment of identity politics in a long time in a movie.

They lied to the audience. If Wakanda was truly going to do what they said they would, America would look fundamentally different in later movies and properties. Because every Marvel movie clings to a setting of “right now + superheroes” without meaningfully confronting what even the presence of super humans would mean for humanity (fascism, lol) the premise of the ending of Black Panther is itself an impossibility within the construct of the MCU.

Its also very funny, to me, that Afro-futuristic Wakanda was a hereditary absolute monarchy with a contested succession by mortal combat clause, and that everyone went along with the outcome of a genocidal outsider taking the throne because thats just how succession works. I get that its a Marvel movie but its still very funny that regressive Wakanda was hailed as some kind of utopia because the military backed homogenous oppressor class was black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

An important plot point in Dune is that the Space Catholics, the secret power behind the throne who have been running a thousand year long race science project to create The Ultimate White Boy who can see through time, have also spent thousands of years seeding religious myths about saviors from another world who will perform prophesied miracles on all the backwater worlds in case one of their order ever gets stuck somewhere and needs an out or an instant cult following. The story is very clear that becoming a local messiah is a pre-planned safety parachute and that Jessica is taking advantage of the seeded myths of a messiah as much as Paul is an actual messiah.

My biggest complaint about the Dune movie is that it spends way too much time on establishing shots and vague prophecy visions and not nearly enough laying out the mythology of the universe. It looks very pretty but doesn't spend much effort establishing a story, which seems kinda key for the kind of story Dune is. I would legitimately take Lynch's flawed storytelling over Villeneuve's

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's definitely room for a Rick Sanchez/Tyler Durden level misread of Paul Atreides. After all, he gets his revenge against the people who wronged him and drastically changes the status quo so that he comes out on top as the rightful ruler of a grateful universe.

The nuance comes from the fact that he doesn't actually change anything for the better, and by the end he's just as much of a pawn in the sick game we call existence as anyone else. Something the books definitely hammered home more than once and the 2021 movie leaves up to a 1 minute hallucinogenic montage that Paul just kinda feels bad about

Its been forever since I read it, but I'm pretty sure Paul ends up blinding himself and wandering the desert and is never heard from again* because he can't bring himself to be the evil tyrant the universe needs to break itself of its infatuation with messiahs. Instead his kid has to become a monstrous tyrant who rules for millennia until humanity finally breaks itself free of prophecy and the desire for a strong daddy to take charge

*I think Paul comes back in some of the later books but those all sucked and I didnt read them and refuse to acknowledge them