Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Heinlein was absolutely unhinged. I had a friend suggest "stranger in a strange land" to me and I was pretty pumped because it had a great PK Dick style title (big Dick fan here) and I it was just the most juvenile garbage on the planet. Just Mary Sue surrounding himself in hot babes too smart for the universe using FACTS and LOGIC to save the world. Rarely do I ever put down a book part way especially one that isn't too long but God drat. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

To bring it back around, I think I put the book down around the scene that the army shows up to take the alien and the main character is like "Sir! This is private property!" And all the tanks and soldiers just sit at the edge of his land like he cast Wall of Force, completely powerless. loving ET had a better understanding of how society works than that idiot.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok but why did the MC have 3 buxom secretaries who's job it was to hang out at the pool all day and memorize everything he says. Why was that such a vital component of the story that he spent like a quarter of the book justifying their existence and their "skills".

I find it hard to believe that "what if there were hot babes everywhere?" is some sort of insightful social commentary.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Warcraft might be one of the best examples of how you can't make a anti-war war movie. The whole message is that war is hell and the conflict is stupid and they shouldn't be fighting. But between storyteller incompetence and the need for it to be an endless franchise it just constantly glorifies racial holy war.

WC2 definite had a good vs evil theme, it wasn't until 3 that they changed the orcs into noble savages which is a bit :chloe: but whatcha gonna do with 2000's media.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanos and his belief that shortages will wipe out civilization is equally as absurd as Malthus's. It makes him a rather one-dimensional but believable villain because if you never actually think about it his position feels correct and allows a moral opposition that plays up the superhero angle of strong men making hard decisions to save humanity in spite of itself and whoops that sounds a lot like fascist talking points.