Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'd like to see if I can stay awake through the new Dune film as I liked the novels a good deal. I'll echo the thoughts in this thread, in that I always felt Dune was a pretty hard refutation of great man / white savior literature. An earlier poster made the point that subsequent to the action, Paul had no real control of the Jihad or anything surrounding it and this is fundamentally true - he just bluntly and blatantly does something that is portrayed as a significant evil in result.

Leto II shouldn't be read as a white savior either, I don't think - but admittedly I struggle a little more in saying that definitively. I'd contend more that by the point of God Emperor of Dune, Herbert was significantly more interested in writing about this weird alien he had created (in the sense that Leto II is one of the most inhuman characters I've read) than he was trying to comment on the world in which he (Herbert) lived. It's pretty telling, the novel is written fairly differently than the surrounding pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU