Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sanguinia posted:

The maintenance of the Status Quo in the Marvel Universe can thus be read as not laziness on the part of the writers or an effort to force the Current Day aesthetic, but rather something that is being actively perpetuated by the Powers That Be to spite the efforts of the heroes to improve society. Hence the value of Sam Wilson becoming Captain America, and his arc wrestling with the nature of supremacism and the best ways to change society.

See also WandaVision, where the real villain is ultimately a DoD middle manager who makes speeches about Making The Hard Choices to Save America, such as drone striking civilians and whatever they did to Vision's corpse, which I'm counting as extraordinary rendition. These actions prioritize "Going back to normal" above civilian casualties and other unintended but foreseeable consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
There's definitely room for a Rick Sanchez/Tyler Durden level misread of Paul Atreides. After all, he gets his revenge against the people who wronged him and drastically changes the status quo so that he comes out on top as the rightful ruler of a grateful universe.

The nuance comes from the fact that he doesn't actually change anything for the better, and by the end he's just as much of a pawn in the sick game we call existence as anyone else. Something the books definitely hammered home more than once and the 2021 movie leaves up to a 1 minute hallucinogenic montage that Paul just kinda feels bad about

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sanguinia posted:

Injustice would be a fun version of this if it didn't weirdly and kind-of-misogynistically character assassinate Wonder Woman to facilitate it's plot.

I feel like Injustice's problem in general was that the writers didn't sit down and ask themselves "Who would willingly join evil Superman's regime and why?" when they really should have. Admittedly philosophizing on the nature of authoritarian regimes might have been beyond the scope of "Mortal Kombat with superheroes"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Raenir Salazar posted:

I find the DC movies can sometimes be surprising subversive. Like in Red Son you have Soviet Supes killing Stalin to end the gulags; this presents interesting questions and implications about the main timeline Supes and the US prison system.

Then you have the recent Injustice movie where supes forcefully stops the War on Terror and forces Israel and Palestine to agree to a proper settlement. When the DCAU swings it swings pretty hard.

And the new Suicide Squad which is basically "The US did some hosed up poo poo in South America" for 132 minutes

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like you need to look up how stupid real world bigotry is, the list of who is or isn’t socially okay is a hilariously complex and thin lined web. Like which near identical religions are or are not socially acceptable to various groups would be nearly unexplainable to someone out of the society.

"Mutants didn't earn their power like I did and that's bad for society" Headline to op-ed for the Daily Bugle, written by Tony Stark

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sanguinia posted:

The fun thing about Animal Farm is how its one of the major sources for western lionization of Trotsky.

I feel like that woulda happened regardless, it's a narrative that writes itself

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sci-fi addendum: Hypothetically It is ok to pay a homeless person to remote pilot them into having sex with a malfunctioning robot

Also it's youtube but that link is super not safe for work, just warnin' everybody now

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sanguinia posted:

Personally I prefer to think of the Warcraft franchise's message as being "Hypothetically it would NOT be OK to wage a racial holy war," because in real life for almost all of history it's been presumed that it's a reasonable thing to do, where as warcraft at least occasionally questions the veracity of that assumption.

Warcraft is kinda weird in that it views racial holy war as "Bad" but also seems to view it as an inevitable course of nature whenever there's "Us" and "Them"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: to bring this back to Dune, I was looking into whether a Villainous version of the Heroes Journey exists, and it doesn't really seem there is one, which implies that the journey of a Hero or a Villain are the same with different destinations?

"Thanos is secretly the protagonist of Infinity War" was the Hot Take of the season when that movie came out, and it kinda makes sense in a Mechanics of Storytelling sort of way

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Yeah as it turns out a lot of people are attracted to a narrative involving a Hard Man Making Hard Choices For The Greater Good. Even in the fictional world where the person who scrawled that was undoubtedly a victim of those choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gahmah posted:

What's the deal with Shin Godzilla?

My media illiterate rear end see's a movie where aged bureacracy doesn't rapidly and adequately respond to a crisis, so now it's time for a young hotshot to lead the working men to handle this problem. Thus the problem is literally stopped in it's tracks from evolving further, BUT ALSO our hot estranged women are reclaimed from foreign lands and prevent repeation of past shame/defeat by outside forces.

It's ultimately about the Japanese Government's failure to prevent and properly react to the Fukushima nuclear disaster. Unfortunately like a lot of fiction from Japan it also has weird post-WW2 revanchism sprinkled on top that always comes across as weird and fashy to everyone else.