Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like this gets into the weeds, the broader question I think was nailed earlier; does actually having those kinds of powers justify depriving them of their human rights. I feel that in of itself is probably a whole topic without an easy answer.

Because it isn't hard to adjust the lens and consider similar topics; what about people with really enhanced cybernetics that basically give them superhuman abilities; or genetic engineering to be stronger, faster, smarter; not as much as in comics but what about 30% better in all categories. Or aliens who might have abilities and adaptations that make them appear to be superhuman in some respects, but in all of the above there is a group of people who potentially are a risk.

I think from the categorical imperative I feel if there's even 1 scenario where the answer is clearly and emphatically no we can't take away their rights, then we can't do it to any of them.

I feel comfortable saying that human rights should not apply to aliens, on the grounds of them not being human.

Probably any sentient species should have some set of rights though, but then you get into the discussion of what rights, and how we define sentient, and who is responsible for defending those rights and how in case we can not communicate with those species. And we don't even really need aliens for that, there are quite intelligent non-human species on this planet we don't really give a gently caress about right now soooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU