Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

selec posted:

The ending of Black Panther was the most cynical deployment of identity politics in a long time in a movie.

They lied to the audience. If Wakanda was truly going to do what they said they would, America would look fundamentally different in later movies and properties. Because every Marvel movie clings to a setting of “right now + superheroes” without meaningfully confronting what even the presence of super humans would mean for humanity (fascism, lol) the premise of the ending of Black Panther is itself an impossibility within the construct of the MCU.

The power of American cultural hegemony can't be countered with vibranium... once T'Challa opened up Wakanda to the rest of the world it was lost. Poor thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Finally, the classics!

Though I'm always split between him and Douglas Adams. I prefer Adams voice but I find Pratchett more poignant.

That's because you haven't yet accepted the fact that Wonko's outlook is the most apt one.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

re: to bring this back to Dune, I was looking into whether a Villainous version of the Heroes Journey exists, and it doesn't really seem there is one, which implies that the journey of a Hero or a Villain are the same with different destinations?

Lord Ashram in Record of Lodoss War might begin to get there...