Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've had the foggy notions of an idea rolling around in my head that All Might is a cop, and the hero rankings/merchandising is an extrapolation of capitalist exploitation in a supernatural society but maybe i'm too terminally online and it's just Joss Whedon's Cape poo poo: Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

OP are you conflating Orwell with Huxley?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Thanos lacked the conviction to see his task through to its end.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

That is, forgive me, insanely stupid. Does Thanos think that every reproduction is planned based on the material situation of the parents? What part of the snap makes practicing to reproduce less fun/enticing?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think its less the specific number of people only that at least on Titan were already at the precipice and needed to do something drastic immediately. If we assume that Thanos felt that this was the same elsewhere, that galactic civilization was nearing the tipping point of self-destruction; the issue isn't people having too many children, its the socio-economic decisions made up until that tipping point and with a hard reset people can make better decisions so when the population regrows back it is done so sustainably.

Right, but socioeconomic decisions/circumstances don't always reflect on whether or not a pair of mates reproduces. If you consider the idea that there are various galactic civilizations across various stages of evolutionary/societal development, a planetary society that gets its, Neanderthal-level population numbers wiped out by half isn't necessarily going to see the error of their ways that they...haven't committed yet. A theoretical low-development planetary species without some sort of effective birth control is still going to reproduce at whatever rate it was before the snap. The more and more you "zoom out" on Thanos' big picture, the less and less it makes sense.

I submit once again, that Thanos was just a half-assed Zamasu.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

It doesn't seem like an uninsurmountable leap of the imagination to me. Simply put the most advanced civilizations that got snapped presumably all recover first; and if Thanos is right then they all engage in more responsible conservation and stewardship of their resources and then as part of their new duty will the moment a newcomer civilization arrives on the scene that hasn't internalized those lessons will go and apply peer pressure on the late comers to develop sustainably.

Like it is flawed but not in the way you think it is, its flawed in the way that any rationalization of a narcissistic form of the sunken cost fallacy is; it isn't hard to from that point of view to think of ways in which everything will work out; and also ultimately I think we're supposed to assume that Thanos knew it was a desperate gamble to begin with, it's just the least-worst option he can think of.

Its a good theory but I think any what if that involves stopping Star Lord from loving up just results in someone loving up. For example Star Lord tries to use the Gauntlet to bring Gamora back, which forces him to go Revenge of the Sith and bring it to Thanos etc.

What kind of peer pressure? How would you resolve the inherent class struggle of "those elitist ayliums from omicron persei 8 have flying sun powered cars but they're telling us we're not allowed to burn our dead dinosaurs so we can move food from the field to the market!"?

Then again, expecting anything out of Whedon's brain to come anywhere close to class analytics is trying to judge a goldfish by its ability to climb a tree, so maybe I'm just swinging at ghosts here.

Guavanaut posted:

Is there an Evangelical movie equivalent where the big villain has a gauntlet that does education for women and girls and incentivized long term contraception until they're ready to start a family?

No joke, I've got a customer file with Kevin Sorbo's phone number in it. A far less scrupulous me might pitch this to him anonymously to see if he bites.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Whedon didn't direct Infinity War, and I'm not sure what point you're making here; why does class struggle have to do with anything? You're not making a consistent argument here; no one is saying Thanos's argument is logically sound, only that it can make sense from a certain point of view. The whole point if you can't make a counter argument to it, that couldn't with enough effort be handwaved or atlas shrugged away.

I'm just trying to workshop how the lesser-developed society might react to a more advanced society's missives about how to develop The Right Way. Does the further advanced society just hand over the most cutting edge technology, or are there important societal lessons to be learned culturally as a society evolves technologically?

Either you're giving a more primitive society dangerous technology that's not viably sustainable at the current stage of planetary evolution or you sit in your ivory tower and tell them "no not like that" every time they make an advancement that we know from experience can be troublesome in the long run. When one society has flying space cars that poo poo out drinkable water and they're telling a developing society "no you can't have road cars that burn fuel" you're going to create at the very least an illusion of class struggle.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Would Thanosian foreign policy be based on economic sanctions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

I think we're on the same page more or less then, I'll admit I've mostly been viewing this in terms of how it'd play out in our contemporary world and not the analysis of it in the films, which I can't really speak to beyond the stuff I got through osmosis here and in broader popular culture. I think it's easy to write a scenario where it mostly worked out, but it'd be a whole lot messier in reality and it relies on assuming critical systems for advanced civilization are a lot more robust than they are in practice, and it doesn't seem like that's a controversial opinion.

This is sort of where I'm coming at it from, too, sort of from the perspective of say, someone from Asgard showed up and started yelling at us that like, our use of radio broadcast waves is actually contributing to the acceleration of the heat death of the universe or something, and trying to figure out how your average rural Trump voter might accept or refuse the missive.