Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Can we include pop culture items (like movies, comics and video games) here or is "fiction" meant to keep discussion grounded in short stories and novels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

So have any of you guys seen Eternals yet? It seems to be a lightning rod for all sorts of culture war crap, with people often either blindly supporting it because of the diversity of the cast or blindly hating it because of the diversity of the cast.

I have thoughts on Nomadland too, but I don't know how cool it is for me to repost comments I made in C-Spam here.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

An important plot point in Dune is that the Space Catholics, the secret power behind the throne who have been running a thousand year long race science project to create The Ultimate White Boy who can see through time, have also spent thousands of years seeding religious myths about saviors from another world who will perform prophesied miracles on all the backwater worlds in case one of their order ever gets stuck somewhere and needs an out or an instant cult following. The story is very clear that becoming a local messiah is a pre-planned safety parachute and that Jessica is taking advantage of the seeded myths of a messiah as much as Paul is an actual messiah.

My biggest complaint about the Dune movie is that it spends way too much time on establishing shots and vague prophecy visions and not nearly enough laying out the mythology of the universe. It looks very pretty but doesn't spend much effort establishing a story, which seems kinda key for the kind of story Dune is. I would legitimately take Lynch's flawed storytelling over Villeneuve's

The Alan Smithee cut of the Lynch movie was actually fairly good about laying out all the background mythology. Unfortunately, doing that makes the movie a shade over 3 hours long.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

The 1960's wasn't ready for time travel incest fantasies, but by god Heinlein had the courage to bring it to them.

I’M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!!!!