Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
We’ll all have arthritis in our hands when the Switch 2 comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
https://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2024/04/26/the-switch-2s-controllers-will-attach-with-magnets-according-to-new-claims/

Magnets. Always with the magnets.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

magsafe but for Wintendo?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just believe the part where Nintendo wouldn’t let anyone actually see it but would just allow them to stick their hands in a box and touch it

hatty fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 26, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

loving magnets.

How do they work?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

I'm pretty sure when the original Switch was in development, it used magnets, but they couldn't get it to work so went with the rails we have now. I can't find the source though, and Googling anything now just brings up this rumor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Magnets are easy mode.

I have the power to attach my JoyCons using the van-der-Waals force*, far more impressive

* everyone can do this, you just need the right kind of glue

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

eightysixed posted:

Some of us already have arthritis in our hands. :smugbert:

:sigh:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

hatty posted:

I just believe the part where Nintendo wouldn’t let anyone actually see it but would just allow them to stick their hands in a box and touch it

Fear is the mind killer.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

otter posted:

Fear is the mind killer.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-upgrades that brings total consumerism. I will face my fear. I will be permitted to buy it, one for my wife, and one for me. And when it has gone past I will turn to the SomethingAwful forums to see its success. Where the fear has gone there will be Nintendo. Only Wintendo will remain.”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

eightysixed posted:

We’ll all have arthritis in our hands when the Silksong comes out.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

23 Skidoo posted:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-upgrades that brings total consumerism. I will face my fear. I will be permitted to buy it, one for my wife, and one for me. And when it has gone past I will turn to the SomethingAwful forums to see its success. Where the fear has gone there will be Nintendo. Only Wintendo will remain.”

"I hold in my hand the Joy-Con Jabbar."

"May thy OLED chip and shatter."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

One thing that's always bugged me was that even during the ending Goombella still hesitates to call Vivian a girl (more accurately she writes "sisters(?)" when referring to the sirens), and this is after they've been hanging out for a while and are presumably supposed to be friends! I hope that part gets reworked too, but I guess we'll see.

At least no matter how much is/isn't changed we'll always still have the opportunity to beat Beldam with hammers

in the early 2000s in japan there was a lot of media that confused 'crossdressing gay men' and 'trans women.' especially given that there is a subculture of crossdressing gay men, okama, in japan who do often talk about how they dont' fit the gender binary, or half-jokingly refer to themselves as women. vivian is a pretty clear example of that confusion. by modern standards she's very clearly a trans woman, not some sort of okama character, given how things around her are framed, but its not like japan's the only country that didn't quite get it at the time.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Man where is the port of FEAR from the 360

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I already have reduced play sessions from the carpal tunnel :cry:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Saw Monkey Man. It's pretty alright. Made me want to go back and beat Sifu. Or at least beat that final boss at least once. I never could beat him. Everything was fine but that final boss...

I think I'll re-train myself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

Man where is the port of FEAR from the 360

on the xbox series x

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I too would like to know how Crab Souls is on Switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SwitchUp has a review. It's 30fps docked with regular drops, handheld is lower, with regular drops. But the developer says they have a performance patch.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i will buy and love the ttyd remake

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Hell, same.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/71HUPw9.gifv

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Willo567 posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kirby and the Forgotten Land has egregious pop-in and long-distance frame drops and is still quite possibly the best Kirby game ever made. your move, Sony ponies in disguse

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't consider it long distance frame drops when they do it on purpose. It's not dropping frames that's how they chose to render things past a certain distance.

I think for some reason they don't understand that people notice it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't consider it long distance frame drops when they do it on purpose. It's not dropping frames that's how they chose to render things past a certain distance.

distant objects are rendered at a lower framerate in order to improve performance. I doubt they're oblivious to the fact that it's noticeable, it's just preferable to having stutters that will affect gameplay

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s a weird thing tho because it catches my attention whenever it happens in games and I start getting fixated on staring at the weirdly moving things in the background

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Quantum of Phallus posted:

on the xbox series x

slow motion and nailed to the wall: FFFUUUUCCKKKKKKKKK

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't notice it often but it stood out like hell in Shin Megami Tensei V.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's funny is when they do it based on distance from the player instead of distance from the camera so when you pull out the camera sometimes you'll get a giant object in the foreground moving at 15fps obscuring everything else.

I'm sure it's a graphical technique still used today but I love the shittier Mario in 64 they use when he's father from the camera because you literally couldn't see the detail most of the time in those days

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

What's funny is when they do it based on distance from the player instead of distance from the camera so when you pull out the camera sometimes you'll get a giant object in the foreground moving at 15fps obscuring everything else.

I'm sure it's a graphical technique still used today but I love the shittier Mario in 64 they use when he's father from the camera because you literally couldn't see the detail most of the time in those days

My favorite one of these is in Fallout NV where you’ll see a rad scorpion just scoot past the horizon with almost no animation.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

I'm pretty sure Odyssey does the same thing. Maybe not for Mario but it's pretty noticeable with the NPCs walking around New Donk City.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ScarVio has entered the chat

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Endorph posted:

in the early 2000s in japan there was a lot of media that confused 'crossdressing gay men' and 'trans women.' especially given that there is a subculture of crossdressing gay men, okama, in japan who do often talk about how they dont' fit the gender binary, or half-jokingly refer to themselves as women. vivian is a pretty clear example of that confusion. by modern standards she's very clearly a trans woman, not some sort of okama character, given how things around her are framed, but its not like japan's the only country that didn't quite get it at the time.

Sounds like it’s a pretty confusing thing to figure out thanks for clearing that up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Steve Yun posted:

It’s a weird thing tho because it catches my attention whenever it happens in games and I start getting fixated on staring at the weirdly moving things in the background

Happens in the Quake remaster. Those smoother animations seem to only be applied to closer characters and enemies.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Happens in the Quake remaster. Those smoother animations seem to only be applied to closer characters and enemies.

You seem to be mistaken about something. We don't have code to do such a thing in the Quake remaster, all models process interpolation regardless of distance. There was no need for such code because the network already culls out of frame actors entirely from the renderer, and the server updates all objects equally.

Plus I don't think turning off animation interpolation would improve performance, we don't have that kind of renderer.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 27, 2024

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I notice it too, but then I go back to having fun playing Kirby

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

to be fair, I don't notice it

that's because I'm normally trying to concentrate on Kirby not dying in the foreground, instead of marvelling at whatever is going on 1000 meters off in the distance

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Libluini posted:

that's because I'm normally trying to concentrate on Kirby not dying in the foreground, instead of marvelling at whatever is going on 1000 meters off in the distance

0.63 miles, you say? You can see further than that driving to work on the highway, and you get there in 20 seconds if you're going 75mph. Pretty foreground seemingly. YMMV, ironically :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i notice but dont care about that kind of thing when the game is fun, because im, er, normal