Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
got a used copy of the Ori collection yesterday, and luckily the original owner hadn't claimed the soundtrack or even opened the packet of art prints.

of course I'm just now realizing the Switch 2 backwards compat might be digital only like PSP -> Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Monster sanctuary seems p cool so far and it was like 6bux

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Another Switch/ console gaming tip- check your local library to see if they have games you can borrow. It's all physical stuff, but free is free!

Supporting public services? Switch stays winning...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i ask my friends as well

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sitting here trying to get all the medals in starfox 64 and man, this is harder than i remember it being

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

sitting here trying to get all the medals in starfox 64 and man, this is harder than i remember it being

:awesomelon: GOOD LUCK!

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

Are game vouchers really only come with digital purchases? I have some physical copy games, and Nintendo customer service told me digital purchases are only eligible for vouchers. Asking here since it took them so long to tell me that specifically, and I swear I remember vouchers being a thing for physical copies.

I think you might be mixing up the vouchers (which you buy directly and spend on full digital games) with the gold points (which you get for buying digital/physical games that can be spent to get discounts on digital games): https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22312/~/how-to-earn-my-nintendo-points-for-physical-software

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Sarah Cenia posted:

Monster sanctuary seems p cool so far and it was like 6bux

Yeah I loved it so much I bought it twice. First time for like 5 bucks on steam deck and then 20 on ps4.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I bought Steam World Heist and Loop Hero this week entirely with gold points

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
If anybody is looking for a sick deal rn then pick your favorite Cave game and go wild. Mushihimesama, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu and Espgaluda 2 are all on sale. I recommend Mushi to anybody that likes action games of any kind

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/mushihimesama

Radiant Silvergun, also on sale, deserves a spot in every library. It's transcendent https://www.dekudeals.com/items/radiant-silvergun

Play them on Novice mode first

I've been slowly picking away at Dodonpachi DaiOuJou since release. It's a masterpiece. JP eshop only and not on sale, but it's essential if you're into the arcade thing. https://www.dekudeals.com/items/dodonpachi-blissful-death-reincarnation

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 29, 2024

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

mancalamania posted:

I think you might be mixing up the vouchers (which you buy directly and spend on full digital games) with the gold points (which you get for buying digital/physical games that can be spent to get discounts on digital games): https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22312/~/how-to-earn-my-nintendo-points-for-physical-software

That’s exactly it. Thank you!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I like Dodonpachi but those later releases are insane. Can barely survive the first few waves compared to the first couple levels of the older one. For bullet hell enthusiasts only

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Bebetheman/status/1784414696231297467

lazy devs 😔

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
you didn't support the devs enough. reap your reward.

anyway I'll be getting it. hell it's out just before my birthday so maybe I can even get away with making someone else buy it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

granted it's been like 20+ years since i last got all the medals so maybe i am remembering wrong, but it feels like i got them in 1-2 tries per stage back then. meanwhile i had to do corneria like 6 times just for that medal. i am finding them considerably harder than like, getting gold medals in the star wars rogue squadron games, which themselves are known for being fairly tough.

i'm not getting frustrated though because even replaying levels over and over is fun because starfox 64 kicks rear end and makes switch online plus worth it on its own. shame they're never gonna make another starfox game (ok maybe not that big a shame since nothing after 64 is remotely decent).

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Untrue! Command was really good. It's my favorite Star Fox.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i never played command and keep forgetting it even exists, maybe i should pick it up

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Been playing through Cocoon and if anyone's on the fence: imagine if an entire game gave you what amounts to 4 classic style Zelda puzzle dungeons somehow stacked inside / within each other. It gives my brain such a nice feeling.

What it doesn't have: multiple solutions to puzzles. It's all insanely hand crafted / deliberate.

I was trying to think of the last time a game gave me this feeling and it's probably the dungeons in Twilight Princess back in 2005.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

External Organs posted:

Been playing through Cocoon and if anyone's on the fence: imagine if an entire game gave you what amounts to 4 classic style Zelda puzzle dungeons somehow stacked inside / within each other. It gives my brain such a nice feeling.

What it doesn't have: multiple solutions to puzzles. It's all insanely hand crafted / deliberate.

I was trying to think of the last time a game gave me this feeling and it's probably the dungeons in Twilight Princess back in 2005.
I played it for about two hours and I suppose it's very pleasant if you are charmed by the flow of the never-too-hard puzzles and colourful future insect aesthetic but I just didn't have the urge to see it through.

Speaking of Twilight Princess, I tried playing that again a couple weeks ago (having played it a lot in the past) and you're right that the dungeons, of which I did two this time, are very enjoyable, but drat the overworld poo poo you're forced to do needed to be edited down. Crazy how OoT's relative beelines between dungeons got increasingly bloated up until BotW (but also the wolf sections in TP are just bad and there's lots of them).

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Starfox Assault on the DS I think it was called was okay too. It was like Warioware mixed with Starfox

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I know dick all about shaders but spent a week googling so that my paper-thin 2D sprites can be used in my 3D game while always facing the direction I want 'em to face regardless of how the camera rotates.

Lazy devs.

I put in a feature request to add that as core functionality to the game engine of my choice years ago, but they haven't implemented it.

Lazy devs.

At least the game engine itself is open source, so I could add that functionality if I wanted. But I know dick all about shaders. Also:

Lazy dev.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

another week, another switch 2 rumor

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/04/controller-maker-says-switch-2-will-be-backward-compatible-with-all-switch-games/

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it says the Switch 2 will release so its a lie

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Insiders are saying the Switch 2 will have full backwards compatibility with the Virtual Boy.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it's been said itt before, but I do feel sorry for anybody who actually had an Uncle at Nintendo growing up

"He said he can't talk about work but he did get me this cool Mario poster :("

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

Starfox Assault on the DS I think it was called was okay too. It was like Warioware mixed with Starfox

Command was the DS one. It was mission based with multiple paths and different playable characters.

Assault was the Gamecube one and was very mid.

You're probably thinking of Command. I agree it was the best Star Fox.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't mind Nintendo experimenting with IPs but Star Fox 64 is such a weird situation because as far as I'm concerned it was close to perfect and one of those few examples where you literally just want more/different content with no messing with the formula. They absolutely nailed the arcadey feeling with a given run taking around a couple hours, but tons of variation on possible routes and little NPC interactions between them as well as just enough variation with landmaster levels and blue marine without them being too different from the arwing. Perfect tone, perfect level of challenge and formula to make you want to replay it infinitely to get high scores and see everything.

A compulsion to try and do something different with every subsequent entry has just continually been its downfall. If you take Star Fox Zero and strip out the weird gamepad controls and lovely drone levels and have nothing but pure 64 style structure they would have pulled it off again. I do not know what it is specifically about Star Fox that seems to make them actively not want to go back to the well.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't mind Nintendo experimenting with IPs but Star Fox 64 is such a weird situation because as far as I'm concerned it was close to perfect and one of those few examples where you literally just want more/different content with no messing with the formula. They absolutely nailed the arcadey feeling with a given run taking around a couple hours, but tons of variation on possible routes and little NPC interactions between them as well as just enough variation with landmaster levels and blue marine without them being too different from the arwing. Perfect tone, perfect level of challenge and formula to make you want to replay it infinitely to get high scores and see everything.

A compulsion to try and do something different with every subsequent entry has just continually been its downfall. If you take Star Fox Zero and strip out the weird gamepad controls and lovely drone levels and have nothing but pure 64 style structure they would have pulled it off again. I do not know what it is specifically about Star Fox that seems to make them actively not want to go back to the well.

It could be Miyamoto’s fault. If you look at his recent credits it one of the few he actually directed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah the problem with Star Fox is the same issue with not getting an F Zero game: Nintendo obsessed with ensuring the new game “does something new.” They did this with Star Fox iterating on a system that didn’t need touch or second screen gimmick and it sucked. I suppose they assume a rail shooter just wouldn’t sell as is. In any case other people have been taking up the mantle with the new Star Fox EX hack and Ex-Zodiac slowly reaching completion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The controls were fine, great even, if you were actually willing to engage with them, which most people refused to even attempt out of some bizarre stubbornness.

But the level design sucked rear end in that game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Yeah the problem with Star Fox is the same issue with not getting an F Zero game: Nintendo obsessed with ensuring the new game “does something new.” They did this with Star Fox iterating on a system that didn’t need touch or second screen gimmick and it sucked. I suppose they assume a rail shooter just wouldn’t sell as is. In any case other people have been taking up the mantle with the new Star Fox EX hack and Ex-Zodiac slowly reaching completion.

It's not on Switch, but if you're itching for some Star Fox-esque action that does it better than Star Fox, I definitely recommend Whisker Squadron on Steam. It's still early access, but it's a ton of fun. If you're like me and you played a lot of Star Fox, you'll feel right at home with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

It's not on Switch, but if you're itching for some Star Fox-esque action that does it better than Star Fox, I definitely recommend Whisker Squadron on Steam. It's still early access, but it's a ton of fun. If you're like me and you played a lot of Star Fox, you'll feel right at home with it

I should note that Whisker Squadron is a roguelike, so which it has similar gameplay, the level design is a lot more basic and lacks the style of Star Fox.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Command was engaging to me and I'd love a refined iteration of the game but that's probably less likely than a straight up 64 gameplay sequel with no major gimmicks.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

It’s been long enough that they probably go SF 64 remake.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Starlink is supposed to be similar to StarFox...and the Switch version even has missions with the StarFox crew!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Starlink is supposed to be similar to StarFox...and the Switch version even has missions with the StarFox crew!

It kind of is and kind of isn't. It's a lot more Ubisoft Open World and the toyetic gimmick feels a bit unnecessary but it has some strong moments and (I mean this 100% unironically) it does everything Starfield was trying to do better than Starfield did.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Starlink was fun at the time. I played as Fox and don't remember a drat thing about the story. All-range mode!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Starlink doesn’t really play at all like Star Fox in any way that matters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hammer Bro. posted:

I know dick all about shaders but spent a week googling so that my paper-thin 2D sprites can be used in my 3D game while always facing the direction I want 'em to face regardless of how the camera rotates.

Wolfenstein 3D figured this out 33 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn’t have Twitter what are they talking about