Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Update, I did this and spent nearly 6 hours playing tonight. Everybody is right and it's spectacular

One of us, one of us...

Great write-up and really interesting given how you had tried it and now are seeing it through a different lens.

I think the Dark Souls comparison, aside from the recuperating souls, which as you stated is really overblown, is due to the "difficulty" of the boss fights. It's a game whose combat is really simple which makes it all the more effective when it comes down to pattern recognition. "Do you risk an attack or do you keep dodging till the window comes up?" is the basic question of the fight, which is the case in DS (tbf that may have changed, I've only played 1). Once you figure out those patterns and get the timing it's really just fine. But that can be tough for people and 'skill issue' while true is lovely. It's a game that is tough but fair, but since, from what I remember, it doesn't let you adjust difficulty, it can be a wall for people. Plus grinding doesn't really work in this game. You can't really infinitely boost your stats or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I never beat the first boss of Hollow Knight and haven't touched it since. This was 2 years ago :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skill issue???

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doesn’t help much with the Switch version but there’s difficulty mods out there. Here’s one called EasyMode mod.

The EasyMode Mod does the following: (info taken from ReadMe)
- All charm costs are reduced by 1.
- Sitting at a bench gives 2 free lifeblood masks.
- Nail damage is increased, using the formula dmg = 8 + 5 * upgrades. (instead of dmg = 5 + 4 * upgrades)
- Soul collection is increased by 6 per nail hit. (with no charms, 2 hits now allows a spell or focus)
- Focus time is reduced by half.
- Dying no longer loses geo or causes a shade to spawn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cartoon Man posted:

Doesn’t help much with the Switch version but there’s difficulty mods out there. Here’s one called EasyMode mod.

- Nail damage is increased, using the formula dmg = 8 + 5 * upgrades. (instead of dmg = 5 + 4 * upgrades)
- Soul collection is increased by 6 per nail hit. (with no charms, 2 hits now allows a spell or focus)

If you use that Hornet will personally come to your house and kick you in the balls.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollow Knight takes too long to get most places and too long to fight most enemies , and I'm really against having to burn a charm slot for the privilege of seeing where you are on the map. I eventually finished it %106 or whatever, but would have enjoyed it more had it not had so many little anti player inconveniences.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Nintendo Switch: I just started breath of the wild last may on the advice of my physician.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

External Organs posted:

Nintendo Switch: I just started breath of the wild last may on the advice of my physician.

"Oh, your kid is sick? gently caress that, play some Zelda. You'll have more time for that now, right?"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cartoon Man posted:

Man, the last bullet alone would fix ALL the problems I had with the game. I died one too many times and lost all my money and it just broke me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Should have put it in the bank

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm really against having to burn a charm slot for the privilege of seeing where you are on the map.

But that part owns. It encourages you to learn the world such that you can figure out where you are without needing an icon showing your exact location. It's a nice incentive to enhance navigation, and if you want it the option to use the charm is right there.

It's a reward for learning to navigate, not a punishment. It's like games that have you equip an "Easy Mode" accessory, except you can still use other charms, plus you can just switch it out for boss fights.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

But that part owns. It encourages you to learn the world such that you can figure out where you are without needing an icon showing your exact location. It's a nice incentive to enhance navigation, and if you want it the option to use the charm is right there.

It's a reward for learning to navigate, not a punishment. It's like games that have you equip an "Easy Mode" accessory, except you can still use other charms, plus you can just switch it out for boss fights.

Nah gently caress that. It's 2024, I can literally see exactly where I am in the world at all times, same is true in almost every video game. I don't want a punishment for not memorizing the entire environment. And that's what it is, a punishment for not playing the game the same way the devs want you to. Knowing where you are in a video game is basic functionality, not a reward. The first Metroid is basically unplayable for not having it as a feature.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skill issue

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you’re not being punished by the game you’re being punished by your brain

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nah gently caress that. It's 2024, I can literally see exactly where I am in the world at all times, same is true in almost every video game. I don't want a punishment for not memorizing the entire environment. And that's what it is, a punishment for not playing the game the same way the devs want you to. Knowing where you are in a video game is basic functionality, not a reward. The first Metroid is basically unplayable for not having it as a feature.
https://i.imgur.com/tcWvapA.gifv

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I actually love how maze-like Metroid is and would've made a map back in the day. It is tedious though, but the game would've not been as claustrophobic with a in-game map, and if you play Metroid Zero Mission, it's got a very different feel to it.

When I did play Metroid I made liberal use of the rewind feature esp. when I ran into dead-ends and that may not be how the game was intended but I had a blast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why would I want a game to be claustrophobic

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Games making you feel something is good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like not swapping a accessory loadout every five minutes

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hollow knight taught us bugs can be sad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why would you do that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only emotion a video game can make me feel is second hand embarrassment for the writers

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Why would I want a game to be claustrophobic

That level of underlying dread helps elevate the atmosphere of the game, especially since you're trying to explore the bowels of an alien planet.

The only emotion a video game can make me feel is second hand embarrassment for the writers

But also this. The writing in games can be so bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That level of underlying dread helps elevate the atmosphere of the game, especially since you're trying to explore the bowels of an alien planet.

But also this. The writing in games can be so bad.

If I wanted a Metroid game to have dread I would play Metroid dread

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

External Organs posted:

If their kid had caught pneumonia and passed it on to the OP sooner they would have had time to play.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They showed the intro. The kitty is sleeping on a windowsill and slips off. Should be fine. Not that I know how Stray started.

Stray starts with falling into the depths and losing all your cat friends then getting chased by hordes of killer robots

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I demand to know exactly where I am at all times in this game that is largely about exploring areas I have never been before.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Waltzing Along posted:

I demand to know exactly where I am at all times in this game that is largely about exploring areas I have never been before.
:hmmyes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I'm in the room I am already there. I have already explored it. Even if I teleported there. It's a good enough reason for IGA to color in the map and put a dot indicating that's where you are

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hollow Knight takes too long to get most places

This was my main issue as well, beautiful and fun game but I got loving sick and tired going back and forth so often across areas that were too goddamn big. If there were like maybe a handful more fast travel points it would have really mitigated the fatigue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I very much doubt it but I hope Silksong is a Metroid Fusion to Hollow Knights Super Metroid.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It would be really funny if Silksong comes out and it’s just okay. Solid 7/10, no big flaws but pretty forgettable.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wonder if now that I'm dragons dogma pilled id enjoy Hollow Knight more

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
People meme but I don't think the expectations are very unreasonable? It's not like Star Citizen feature creep where people want an immersive space bartending sim that also jerks you off, people just want Hollow Knight again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mycot posted:

People meme but I don't think the expectations are very unreasonable? It's not like Star Citizen feature creep where people want an immersive space bartending sim that also jerks you off, people just want Hollow Knight again.

Which is why there are high odds the game will be a disappointment. Team Cherry is not making Hollow Knight again. They are making a similar game with a lot more eyes on it. Even if they iron out all the wrinkles, it will still be a different game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

Which is why there are high odds the game will be a disappointment. Team Cherry is not making Hollow Knight again. They are making a similar game with a lot more eyes on it. Even if they iron out all the wrinkles, it will still be a different game.

Huge if true

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

trevorreznik posted:

Stray starts with falling into the depths and losing all your cat friends then getting chased by hordes of killer robots

Wow that's rough. I saw the same video as everyone else but the new cat game does not seem anywhere near that brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

It’s apparently a port of an Apple Arcade game that’s been out for a little bit (IDW even made a tie in comic about it)

Huh, fascinating