Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Augus posted:

I didn’t have Twitter what are they talking about

excuses for bad performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

excuses for bad performance
Correct

The more powerful consoles get, the more powerful the excuses about why 60fps or split screen are no longer feasible

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
60 folds per second, perfect for Paper Mario.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Waffle! posted:

Starlink was fun at the time. I played as Fox and don't remember a drat thing about the story. All-range mode!

I played Starlink with the toyetic stuff, constantly switching guns out and swapping ships as I mastered them, and loved it. It was just the right amount of complicated without being too braindead or too inundated with systems, and flying around checking a variety of things off a map was fun - you don't often see the Ubisoft formula when you're not just some guy climbing towers or whatever. I was actually bummed when I realized it was never getting a sequel, or even any DLC. I think I would've bought more little toy ships and whatnot if they were available.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morpheus posted:

I played Starlink with the toyetic stuff, constantly switching guns out and swapping ships as I mastered them, and loved it. It was just the right amount of complicated without being too braindead or too inundated with systems, and flying around checking a variety of things off a map was fun - you don't often see the Ubisoft formula when you're not just some guy climbing towers or whatever. I was actually bummed when I realized it was never getting a sequel, or even any DLC. I think I would've bought more little toy ships and whatnot if they were available.

It got dlc where you pursued Star Wolf and added a plot with a racing grand Prix

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sally posted:

learn to love the used market. i have scored many deals on local buy sell and trades and pawn shops

Ya I would do that but I am not interested in physical unfortunately. I travel a lot so I rather have everything digital whether its games or books.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got the new Ninja Turtles game (Wrath of the Mutants). I played through the NYC level last night and it seems okay. Pretty easy, but I think it was designed to be accessible to kids. So far it's a no-stress, bash some foot clan soldiers sort of thing. Not quite as good as Shredder's Revenge but I'll follow up when I beat the other areas.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It got dlc where you pursued Star Wolf and added a plot with a racing grand Prix

I didn't play it on Switch :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Command is great if you like doing CYOA Star Fox fanfiction. If you're gonna emulate it or play it on a flash cart, there's a hack that lets you play it with the DS D-Pad instead of the touch screen.

Starlink is probably the open world Ubisoft game I enjoyed the most, it's pretty chill and also the rare multiplatform game where the Switch version is the best because it has freaking Star Fox.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol is this a third-party controller manufacturer just straight-up infodumping everything Nintendo's told them? How has Nintendo not swatted this down yet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lol is this a third-party controller manufacturer just straight-up infodumping everything Nintendo's told them? How has Nintendo not swatted this down yet?

It's not real

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

StarFox Command owns because it's Dylan Cuthbert getting to essentially to incorporate a number of his ideas from the then-unreleased Star Fox 2.
And also a lot of the CYOA story stuff is super goofy too and that's fun in its own way.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mrs Randalor wants to take up streaming as a hobby and mostly just plays Switch games. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good, cheap capture card she should get for a laptop, or a particular design of sketchy cheap Amazon capture card to look for that works decently well? I know she wants to participate in the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta this year, so ideally she'll have her stuff ready to go by June.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Randalor posted:

Mrs Randalor wants to take up streaming as a hobby and mostly just plays Switch games. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good, cheap capture card she should get for a laptop, or a particular design of sketchy cheap Amazon capture card to look for that works decently well? I know she wants to participate in the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta this year, so ideally she'll have her stuff ready to go by June.

i don't have any advice to give, i just wanted to say that your wife has great taste in video games

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Nintendo gonna shock everyone and release the switch 3!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Next up - preswitch it's got one joycon and 4:3 screen compatible with just classic mac

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Nintendo 4DSXXL. 4 banger clamshell. Like a big rear end wallet

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Randalor posted:

I think a lot of sketchy Amazon capture cards are all going to be produced at the same place. I had one for PS3 capture that was like 20 dollars and it sort of worked but idk that you could have ran a decent looking stream with it.

Use a stand and just film the tv with an iPhone.

Use the CRT mode on FF 5 pixel on the switch, possibly even hook it up to a lovely CRT using composite cables, shoot it in a fake wood panel lined basement.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There's a patch for Star Fox 2 to let the game run at 60fps that's pretty awesome if you want to play more Star Fox.

2 is a cool roguelite take on the formula that's only held back by the fact it struggles to hit double digits framerates under normal circumstances, at a solid 60 it holds up really well today.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Randalor posted:

Genki shadowcast

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgn_XyvtOro

poncle cannot miss

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

beer gas canister posted:

Trifold Switch

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
hey nintendo can we get fish avatars since its fish week

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

beer gas canister posted:

Nintendo 4d3d3d3

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the new Endless Ocean is mid :negative:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Snake Maze posted:

There's a patch for Star Fox 2 to let the game run at 60fps that's pretty awesome if you want to play more Star Fox.

2 is a cool roguelite take on the formula that's only held back by the fact it struggles to hit double digits framerates under normal circumstances, at a solid 60 it holds up really well today.

I remember when the 60fps patch came out for Star Fox 1 and Ars Technica did a breathless article about how it was smooth and amazing and flawless and the attached video demonstrated how it was actually entirely unplayable because the game logic wasn't designed to run that fast. I think that one accelerated me along the timeline toward "doesn't read Ars any more".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

hatty posted:

the new Endless Ocean is mid :negative:

Came here to post similarly. I was really looking forward to it, but apparently its less engaging than Blue World? Ugh.

Not sure what to do now.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Came here to post similarly. I was really looking forward to it, but apparently its less engaging than Blue World? Ugh.

Not sure what to do now.

I didn’t like Blue World much and hope this one is more similar to the simple nature of the first one. Either way I already preordered the son of a bitch so I suppose I’ll be finding out!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Please stop 🛑 I do not want to play this game anymore

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every time I have seen any presentation for any game in the blue ocean series my only reaction has been "Ok but what is the game"

You can go online with friends!

"To do what"

There are over 200 kinds of fish!

"TO WHAT END?"

Every ocean is procedurally generated and the gameplay experience will be different every time!

"What will the gameplay experience be generally?"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Every time I have seen any presentation for any game in the blue ocean series my only reaction has been "Ok but what is the game"

You can go online with friends!

"To do what"

There are over 200 kinds of fish!

"TO WHAT END?"

Every ocean is procedurally generated and the gameplay experience will be different every time!

"What will the gameplay experience be generally?"

The previous games the ocean was static. Some exec got it fixated in their mind that they really needed an infinite ocean, and there's just no point to it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

The previous games the ocean was static. Some exec got it fixated in their mind that they really needed an infinite ocean, and there's just no point to it.

It is kind of a neat idea, but you'd also neat infinite combinations of environments, animals and plants to make that an actually useful thing. Otherwise, the ocean could be infinity+1 size, you'd still be finished with the game the moment you found all the fish.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mdemone posted:

Please stop 🛑 I do not want to play this game anymore

No

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

CPColin posted:

I remember when the 60fps patch came out for Star Fox 1 and Ars Technica did a breathless article about how it was smooth and amazing and flawless and the attached video demonstrated how it was actually entirely unplayable because the game logic wasn't designed to run that fast. I think that one accelerated me along the timeline toward "doesn't read Ars any more".

Yeah, I might have given some bad info here, sorry. I was so excited to play Star Fox 2 at a better framerate I somehow totally missed that the patched rom didn't have a file extension and wasn't showing up in the rom list... so I played the normal rom with the cpu and superfx overclocked instead :doh:

The overclocked version was great, huge improvement over vanilla. I beat the game like that and never saw any issues. Firing up the actual patched rom I am seeing weird behavior like dropped inputs and the aim in walker form not autoaiming vertically, so probably better to just stick to overclocking the normal game if you want to play Star Fox 2.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are there any good 3rd party switch docks or do I gotta shell out for the normal one?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Not sure what to do now.

Start a new Subnautica save.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

YggiDee posted:

Are there any good 3rd party switch docks or do I gotta shell out for the normal one?

I got a refurb Nintendo one for half price, works fine

If you need one for travel the Genki works great

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah Nintendo sells refurbs on their site for cheap, good and new

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

YggiDee posted:

I asked the same thing a few weeks ago in here, and someone recommended this and I really like it. Definitely easy to move with, it’s the size of a USB stick basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

genki covert