Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sword/Shield are almost comically barebones as a pokemon game. They're not bad games, but if you're ranking games, I'm not certain you need to lay excuses on people for putting them behind Gen 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looper posted:

didn't have to buy the game again to get more than two fire types, point swsh
As a big fan of fire types, this is a fair point.

But also Sw/Sh gives up basically all dungeons/caves/etc for that. The antagonist(s) also don't show up to basically the last minute, and it feels super weird, and the postgame is basically non-existent. (Although I don't remember how much D/P had in the way of that.)

But on the other hand, Marnie's battle music is a bop.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

Even though Diamond / Peal are very mediocre Pokemon games they're still fine to go through. I'm actually looking forward to BDSP because it will be a classic Pokemon style game to run through. I know most people are disappointed with what it's become, but for me personally, I will get a lot of fun out of it.
I think one of the sticking points for me is the price tag.

Like, maybe it's not fair, but it's hard not to consider pokemon games used with the hand-held game price, and SD/BP feel like they don't do much to earn the increased cost?

I'd probably a bit more down for a simple pokemon journey if it was coming at a budget, not at the price I expect to pay for a big new exciting nintendo game.

e: This is by no means to say you should not have fun with it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The silliest part of Dread is when you get a power bomb expansion early it reports "Unknown item" and doesn't actually give you power bombs. Which is a thing because even casual backtracking will reveal a couple of these.

The only other time I think this happens in the series is in Zero Mission when you('re forced to) get space jump "early", but in that case Zero Mission was a remake of Metroid in which space jump didn't exist, and Samus doesn't get access to the post-Metroid powers until the post-OG Metroid ending sequence.

I'm okay with this since it means you can pick up a few along the way and go to the final boss with more then the starting amount without a lot of back tracking.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Countepoint: Is early power bombs actually game breaking in anyway? Maybe it makes some cutscenes a bit silly, but I'm not sure it actually changes gameplay in a significant way other than awesome room clearing stuff.

Finding early power bombs isn't really all that hard - like my first run I got one like, even before I had the item it wanted me to use to get it early. I want to say there's at least one that is particularly easy to stumble into early, like not even back-tracking or sequence breaking, just exploring a side path or something. It feels like any half-inquisitive player will end up with early power bomb expansions.

Compare that to early super missile, which you actually gotta a tricky shine spark sequence break.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's probably true. I think the "Unknown item" thing is basically fan service.
It's a really nice way to make the player feel clever or like they did something the game didn't "expect" them to do, without breaking the balance.

Like, when it works, Metroid Dread is generally pretty good about silently guiding you by kinda tricking you into thinking you've discovered the right way forward on your own?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

drat i can't believe gamefreak only did the bare minimum, that's so unlike them

I mean, HG/SS and other remakes and re-releases (B2/W2) show that they can do more in some cases.

I guess though, this one is being handled by another dev, so I guess they gotta follow in the footsteps and make the first one they do, the bare minimum.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Gen 2 mons were pretty bad imo apart from a handful. I tried to go through catching and training only new ones and you can't really do it.

I feel like Gen 2 has some real heavy hitters, the problem is they're just spread very thin.

Just personally Gen 3 just has so little I like. Like there's some good designs like the banana dinosaur, but if you asked me to pick favorites from that gen, I draw a blank.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

also this is specifically what i meant about the disease it infected people with thaht has them complaining about the games not being miserable anymore.
There's a happy medium between Sw/Sh feeling like there's no conflict, and literally the whole game just moves out of your way, and edgy fan games where you need to defeat a radiation abomination that is also your mom or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pokemon games known to be absolutely miserable: Pokemon Red & Blue and Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Gary said smell you later and I just could NOT deal. I want my video games to be nice to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mycophobia posted:

the games are still made for children, but you grew up. can't be too mad about it imo
I think you can be mad at it, cause it doesn't really matter if it's aimed at children or not, when they could just make the game ask you what version you want to play, or just live with encouraging people to trade in the dozen other ways the game does that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I never understood those that buy both. Just coordinate with your friends/family, that’s why there’s different versions in the first place

But the games have regularly have pokemon there is only one of - eg: the box legendary, so unless you've got a friend who's willing to give that up without you giving yours up in return, there's not enough to go around, unless you want to play through the game a second time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

neato burrito posted:

Are the bosses in Dread designed in a similar way to Cuphead's bosses? Lots of dying and learning patterns?
Kinda, but nowhere as hard IMO. Bosses follow fairly strict patterns and tells, and it really pays off to learn the parry opportunities.

Dread is definitely a game I appreciated a lot more after a replay.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

How is that a grift? They made two games and put them on the same rom to probably to ease manufacturing
I mean, from a tech perspective, it's incredibly sensible.

But they literally sell digital bundles that have both games, at a 1 cent discount. Like, they could just make "Diamond or Pearl" a selection at startup, but that'd spoil the marketing and ability to sell someone two copies of the same game.

The whole "two versions" thing has been as much, if not more, of a marketing excuse then it was a thing to encourage trading. At least with the hand held games you could make an argument for save storage being limited, but on the home console, it feels a little lamer?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Huxley posted:

A lot of stuff is that way without us realizing it.

I've always heard that they don't make 16gb, 32gb, 64gb phones. They make 64gb phones then physically limit the memory because it's cheaper to produce one thing and break 2/3 of them than produce three things.

That one would really surprise me because memory itself is not cheap. But memory cards themselves tend to have the same form factor - you don't need to have 3 full product lines, just the ability to load in different memory cards/chips for that particular step of the process.

Like, in the situation that 64gb chips cost as much to produce as 16gb chips, why would you waste potential profit selling them as 16gb chips?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The bundle isn't a discount, it costs 1 cent more than buying them separate.

flavor.flv posted:

Oh, you misunderstand. It's a 1 cent premium
:psyduck:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

My tip for Dread bosses is to complain about bosses you get frustrated with online, then go back and try again. Always works for me. The more over-the-top and whiny the complaining, the better, I find.

(this is not a joke, for some reason--the more embarrassingly mad at video games I get on here, the more certain it is I'll beat that boss as soon as I post and feel like a jackass)
:same:

I finished Dread and vented about the difficulty, saying I won't bother with hard since It would just make me feel worse.

Then I played hard, inspired to try some sequence breaks and had an overall easier time and came away with a higher opinion of the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

isn't the digital bundle just one of the games and a code for the other, presumably to give to someone else in your household or whatever

Whats the point of selling it as a bundle over just letting/expecting people to buy two copies? Does the eshop not have a way to gift copies or just buy codes?

e: For one cent more!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s not a grift at all though, everyone knows exactly what they’re getting and if they don’t wanna pay for it, they don’t have to. Everyone on Twitter acting like it’s some mega own that they’re selling the same game twice is just chasing fake clout. Sorry to tell you all.

I mean, no grift is a grift if you know enough about it.

Long ago I asked for "Pokemon Gold OR Silver" for Christmas cause I knew i only needed one. My parents bought me both for some reason. I don't know their exact reason for buying me both, so I won't assume they were tricked, but I don't doubt for a second there are parents or relatives out there buying kids both thinking they might be getting two different things.

Like, under no circumstances do you gotta hand it to capitalism.

Spacebump posted:

lmao at people getting mad over two versions of a Pokemon game in 2021. You don't need to buy both. Buying both really kind of goes against the social nature of the franchise anyway. Trading is a gameplay element.
no-ones gotta buy loot boxes, and yet....

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

You just buy the one version and then ask friends or internet strangers to send you the ones that don't come in your version if you're the 2% of players who try to get a complete Pokedex. It's pretty easy to not buy the game twice.

Literally noone is being like "i gotta buy both" and it's pretty much all "they've made a very thin excuse to market it as two versions."

like, it's also really easy not to buy loot boxes, particularly in games where you can also earn the currency through grinding. and yet it's still something that should gently caress off from gaming.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

they've been doing this for 25 years, why are nerds up in arms about it now???
because the revelation that the version difference in the latest game is just a simple code flag is shining a light on it?

Like, maybe people just didn't really think too hard about it before now. They just kind of accepted "two versions of pokemon" is just the way they do things. As well, old games, the cart also held your save file, and was cheaper then home console games, so the argument for buying the other copy had more arguments for.

I just find it funny people are defending it with "it encourages trading & you can find a friend with the other version" like everyone doesn't already know that, and as if no other game has managed to figure out how to encourage trading without selling multiple versions.

KingSlime posted:

What would your proposed solution to this be? What can they do to make this fair to the consumer or whatever

Sell "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl" and at the start of the game they ask you "Do you like diamonds or pearls" or something, and that determines the unique stuff you can get.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's a really bad comparison. Nintendo doesn't offer a way to purchase Pokemon or in game purchases at all (within actual mainline Pokemon games at least), and they even give away legends constantly. The very genesis of the franchise was social interaction and that's one of the things that has kept it so popular.

No one is literally saying "I need to buy both versions" but they're acting like it.
it's not a bad comparison because Nintendo absolutely knows there is a non-zero amount of customers who will buy both. Two version exist entirely so someone can potentially buy both, otherwise, they'd just make it a choice when you start your game, and it would achieve all the same effects of making players trade with one another.

It's the same logic behind poo poo like "pay to skip grinds" - oh well it doesn't give you an advantage, they're not selling you something you otherwise can't get. Like, it doesn't make it less weird or "unnecessary"

I really don't think criticizing the selling of two versions of the same product should be seen as particularly weird or controversial.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

No other game has ever come close to Pokemon's level of success either. You seem to think Gamefreak hasn't "figured out" something when they've figured out that what they have works and prints an absolutely obscene amount of money and so they have no reason to change course.
I'm not under any illusion, the two versions thing is entirely a marketing & sales gimmick, and it's super weird people are being like "but trading tho" as if they've never been pushed into trading in another game.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is a question you answer when you go to the store or eShop to purchase the game.
But why is this a question someone needs to pay another 80$ to change the answer to? Why not Pokemon Girl and Pokemon Boy?

I seriously cannot comprehend why people are wasting time and energy defending this, like, yeah, it's kind of not the biggest of deals or the worst of things. I'm not exactly saying ya'll should boycott or harass the devs, but my head is hurting seeing people trip over themselves to smugly "well actually" at anyone making fun of the two versions being a code flag.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I cannot comprehend why you're wasting your time and energy making it an issue when it's clearly not one.

Pokemon makes sense to do two versions of since they have a limited amount of Pokemon, so making certain ones exclusive to the other will encourage people to trade. Just enough exclusives to make trading worthwhile and fun but not too much so that you think you have to buy the second version (a thing they don't encourage you to do [because they want you to play with people who bought the other version]). Something like say, Animal Crossing, only needs the one version but still encourages people to play together and swap items because there's thousands of items and collecting every item in the game isn't an intended goal.

You can literally just make it a choice when you start up the game - the games already lock you into one save file unless you use multiple accounts to work around that, so it would have the same effect of "I have access to these pokemon and my friend has access to those pokemon" with the added bonus that if you really want, you can start a new game and see the version differences first hand.

They also have like 700+ pokemon, so "limited amount of pokemon" which honestly feels in the ball park of furniture that existed in New Horizons when it first game out. Why don't they lean into shinies and just throw more pallet swaps in, and depending your game seed, you have some variants that are more or and less rare, bam, even more reasons to trade.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I simply make the choice at the store before purchase

incredibly weird to not want to be able to make that choice after you paid.

imagine mass effect sold "Male shep" and "Fem shep" editions.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Discord is becoming an NFT scam app so your days are numbered

and every other game developer is looking to make their games into NFT scams, so we're all kind of doomed.

although Nintendo moves at such a glacial pace with adopting technologies, NFT will probably implode before they get around to it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's actually kind of sad that, of all things is the most disliked video on youtube, and not like, something bad that isn't just an ad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

The headline is misleading but it sounds like it’s just the most disliked video on Nintendo’s channel, not youtube as a whole.
Oh, then yeah, that checks out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm guessing it must be a matter of working from an older build/source code, which explains why dev notes and stuff were uncovered too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lol we've somehow come full circle on draw distance fog.

I dont think this is the first time, wasn't there a silent hill 2 port or re-release that reduced or messed up how the fog was rendered and it killed the atmosphere for that version?

It wasn't so much that draw distance fog was ever "good" as it was that people designed around it and worked with that limitation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DoctorButlerX/status/1458968172292460554?s=20

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeaWea6/status/1459029465598672896?s=20

honestly the GTA release seems like a gift if it's going to keep giving me great glitches to see.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1459773444531310593?s=20

The gift that keeps on giving.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

maybe he should have spent 50 minutes doing something else

like playing a better game?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

could just play the game like a normal person

that seems less entertaining

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

so random youtubers are good when they said NSO bad, but bad when they say the GTA Port is bad?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

do NOT click on any of his links. I clicked on one accidentally and now my iphone calendar is filled with pervert spam

I was skimming the thread and I thought this was about an SMT demon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got a 8bitdo Pro2, but I find it less comfortable then my Switch Pro, but it's hard to articulate how/why, it feels subtly smaller or something, or maybe it's just the stick placement or the shoulder design? I don't even have big hands.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At this point, I'm glad I haven't played with a pro controller, because I can't imagine the 8bitdo Pro + not feeling comfortable as hell.

The dpad is :kiss: too.
Yeah, at the very least, it makes for an excellent Dpad controller. Glad I waited till I had it to replay through AM2R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I have particular memories of trying to turn mario around in 64 only for mario to yeet himself off the tiny platform I was standing on cause he decided to do a little circle rather then turning in place.

and just like, rainbow ride in general. Mario 64 gets kind of stinky in the back half.

But Sunshine probably has bigger lows in terms of not letting you skip missions, and poo poo like pachinko and that stupid lily pad thing that sucks to get to.