Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Zeeman posted:

I know someone was complaining about this last thread, so here you go:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1456072910062297089

This was way faster than I thought it would be, Nintendo coming through yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

JaneError posted:

New Switch owner here; got my OLED Tuesday. After giving it a couple days to get a feel for it, I'm thinking I need a grip. Any opinions on the Skull & Co. NeoGrip?

I’m fairly certain that the Satisfye grip is the consensus best grip out there. I have one for the standard Switch and it’s awesome, I would assume the OLED grip is just as good.

You might be able to get it on sale if you wait a couple of weeks, hard to say if the new one will actually go on sale this year.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I liked both Mario Strikers games and can’t believe they stopped making them. Some of the secondary characters in Charged were a little unfair. I think Toad could simply flip over the goalie if you timed it right.

If you played online it was very common to run into teams of 3 toads that only tried to flip over the goalie. It was fun if you could pull it off but it wasn’t that OP because it almost always required a clean breakaway to work

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

It’s clever but it’s also lovely, it means there’s content on the game you purchased that you can’t access without buying another copy. The two version model they use for Pokémon used to be fun when I was in elementary school but now it’s borderline obnoxious.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mycophobia posted:

the games are still made for children, but you grew up. can't be too mad about it imo

While this is true, there also wasn’t online trading with randos when I was a kid so it at least made sense to trade with friends in person. These days kids can buy one version of the game and still trade for every Pokémon even if they don’t have a friend with the game, it makes having version exclusive Pokémon kind of dumb.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mycophobia posted:

a friend lent me heartgold and its sitting in a drawer. ill play it someday

You should give it back to your friend, that’s their retirement fund you’ve got sitting in a drawer

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

everyone with a good console?

So no one, then.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

The funny thing is that Stux has never played any games, he just posts ITT all day every day

Masterfully done

This thread is filled with people who spend more time in the thread than actually playing games.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It’s easier to make bad posts during work hours than to play video games.

It is if you’re not working remotely due to the pandemic, sure.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Some of us can't work remotely because we have real jobs at the dick sucking factory

I’m sure you get this a lot but thank you for your service

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

why would they have dating simulation for high school? who cares about that? you rarely end up with ur first love anyway

The people that play these games were not dating in high school, it’s a new experience for them.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Mario 64, still the best platformer ever! Mega64 is also good.

I’m going to see Mega64’s stage show this weekend, maybe I should ask them to sign my copy of Mario 64. Then I’ll have both at the same time!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You know what sucks about Mega64!?!?!

I never saw season 3 and as far as I can tell it is not available on any platform or to buy from them anymore or something

They actually just posted version 3 episodes to their Patreon, I think that’s the only way to get it directly from them these days.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Every 3D Mario is good hth

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Ok I'm not normally one of those "back in my day, games used to be actually complete" kind of :corsair:, but drat, devs, finish your games before you ship them.

Day one patches have been a harsh reality for over a decade at this point

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between a day one patch that fixes a few bugs or adds a thing they couldn't finish before deadline and a game that's blatantly unfinished and needs the day one patch to function.

Aren’t there people beating leaked copies of the game without this patch? It sounds like this falls under “adds a thing they couldn't finish before deadline”. There’s plenty to complain about with GameFreak but this isn’t one of the things that bothers me.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

It's also pretty lovely to customers with data caps, slow internet, or who lack the ability to get their system online for whatever reason.

e: It also seems like it's a good way to get your game some negative rep because the leakers talk about it. I guess you could see it as a long game of making leakers untrustworthy.

This is a complaint against modern games in general, it’s not something specific to this Pokemon game. It’s weird to get mad about it for this one release as opposed to every other game where this same thing happens.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The material it’s made of must be Nintendo hard

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Golf Story is fun but most recommendations for it came a few years ago. It’s been superseded by a lot of better indie games in that time, but it’s still a fun golf game if you like golf games.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The dumb thing about The Completionist is he almost without fail complains that after completing everything in the game no new mode or bonus was unlocked.

But if it was, then he wouldn't have completed it. Then he would have to go complete that, and there would not be another new mode or bonus, and then he would complain that no new mode was unlocked by completing it.

That’s not really true, he’s usually content with some sort of unlock-able as a completion reward, be it artwork or a character skin or whatever. I don’t think he’s ever complained about not unlocking a new mode, he includes unlocking new modes and completing them in his criteria. I could be wrong though, that poor guy drives himself crazy doing his completion gimmick.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

b_d posted:

some games are fun to 100% and some aren't. that's my game theory.

Pretty much, just play games until they stop being fun. When a game isn’t fun anymore, then just stop playing it and move on with your life.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lol this is unnecessarily angry, I have a case but the switch is fragile as hell if it sits in luggage being knocked around

Keep the switch case in a backpack/carry on bag

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, it’s actually pretty hard to find a nice case that doesn’t come with completely useless little cartridge holders, and like I said choosing 6-10 of my games every time I leave the house on a trip is dumb when I can just have every game I’ve ever owned at my fingertips.

In my experience it’s better to have a smaller number of games to choose from. If I only have 3 games to pick from I’m much more likely to actually pick one and play it, if I have 40 I’m much more likely to be paralyzed by indecision and never actually play anything.

This happens to be the reason why I don’t like Game Pass all that much, there’s too much content for me to pick a game and play through it for more than 10 minutes before I am tempted to try something else.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

There are more good books than there are good video games OP, hth. The number of good video games might catch up eventually but the head start books have is big enough that I wouldn’t bet on it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Healbot posted:

That's weird, because I play bideo james to keep my brain from entertaining thoughts about how hosed we as species are.

Video games are nothing but a reminder about how hosed we as species are.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

sure there is, at least if you want there to be

It's certainly not necessary

Paper Mario doesn’t really allow grinding, eventually the enemies in each area will just stop giving you experience for battling them

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Waffle! posted:

*saves game manually*
*saves again just to be sure*

*puts switch into sleep mode without actually closing the game*

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Grateful that I like cool and good things like Breath of the Wild and don’t particular enjoy weird things like Tim Burton movies

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Is the game award show known for game announcements? I don’t usually keep up with it so I have no idea, but this doesn’t seem like the time of year that companies are making big announcements anyway.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I just finished Paper Mario a few weeks ago on N64 and it holds up really well. It’s surprisingly fun and engaging for such an easy RPG, definitely worth playing

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This boss in the lava zone of Metroid Dread sure is a boss fight. I just about have the fight down except I can’t figure out how to reliably dodge it’s double arm attack.

I’m talking a break for awhile cause I’m up to about seven attempts and I feel like I’ve stalled out learning this fight. Gonna come back later today and see how it goes. This strategy worked real well for me though all the Dark Souls games. This boss is the first big bad boss I’ve fight in a long time (excluding MH Rise).

This game is great and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for me.

For that double arm attack, I had pretty good luck using the space jump to hang out at the top of the screen. You just need to identify where the arms are before the attack so you can be in a safe spot.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

thats what I try to do but it seems I take damage from the monsters head. Something that’s not arms is damaging me in what seems to be the only safe spot to dodge the arms.

I had the same problem with the head. Depending on where the head is, iirc you can float around the middle of the screen to avoid damage but there’s not much window for error

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

There is nothing “cool” about Golf, lmao

For those keeping score at home, this means that golf is the coolest thing ever. If you do like golf games Golf Story is a lot of fun, but its time as the go to indie game on Switch ended years ago.

I finished my first play through of Metroid Dread over the weekend, if not for the EMMI’s I think it would be my favorite Metroid game ever. The EMMI stuff was fun and intense at first, but eventually dealing with them felt almost like a chore. Still easily my favorite game of the year though, I think I’m about to dive into a Hard mode run.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

No surprises here, though it's too bad that Great Ace Attorney gets bumped off by the behemoth that is replaying Xenoblade.

Dang that’s a lot of time for Pokémon Snap, I loved that game but fell off after 25 hours. Did you do every challenge in the game?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Of course I did! And every star photo too. I've been waiting for this game for 20 years there was no way I wasn't gonna do everything possible in it.

I actually haven't even had time to dig into the DLC cause it came out just as I got really busy so I still have that to look forward to eventually when I want more.

If I remember correctly some of the challenges were bugged and didn’t give me credit for them back around the time the game launched, so I sort of gave up on them. But they must have been fixed (if they were ever actually broken, I could have imagined that), so I think it’s time to dive back in :dance:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Saints Row 4 is basically free on the eShop.

No reason not to get it.

Only get it if you’re going to play it, buying a game because it’s cheap when it’s just going to sit in a backlog is reckless. I learned that lesson the hard way through Steam sales, I still have dozens of games on Steam that I haven’t played yet. Including Saints Row 4 that I bought like 5 years ago :shepspends:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

beer gas canister posted:

nodding vigorously as i click buy on re4

That’s the one exception to the rule

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I mean, fair, I don't like roguelikes either, but played the hell out of Hades. My gf, who never plays top-down action games, absolutely demolished the game.

What don't you like about roguelikes?

This question wasn’t posed to me but I’m going to answer it because I don’t care for rogue likes either. To me roguelikes feel like someone made an entire genre out of the feeling of forgetting to save your game and dying, forcing you to start over and losing two hours of progress.

It’s just not a good feeling to me, although Hades isn’t prone to that problem because you actually do make progress even when your character dies.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I am a big fan of Switch games that allow you to use the SNES controller as a viable control method, which Pokemon Brilliant Diamond does. Therefor, Pokémon Diamond is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i could easily 1v1 that dude's kids. it would frankly not even be a contest

You could just tell them that you’re a computer and apparently they would forfeit. Gg no re