Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Infinitum posted:

Remembering the time the entire internet was horny on main for Bowsette

Gotten quiet in the wake of Tears of the Kingdom having Ganon impersonate Zelda so much... too quiet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Morpheus posted:

I was about to say that's not even on Switch, but apparently it is? Huh.

Final Fantasy (Fantasies, Final) I - XII are available on Switch, plus the pocket edition of XV.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

An Actual Princess posted:

not 11 and it's a shame. 11 rules and would be perfect for the switch.

Too true!

Speaking of ports waiting in the wings, are Square and Konami locked in a game of chicken to see which one ports their big PS3 franchise installment first? The MGS collection implies more games are on the way, while Square has been polishing lots of ports except one aging trilogy...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I got tickets to Nintendo Live!

Ditto, and now debating whether I really want to book a flight/hotel to experience it (and PAX West?) or will it be a convention-sized shopping experience with some photo booths.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Trans glider for Birdo (and anyone who wants one) pls

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Any more goon takes on Nintendo Live? Tokyo's doing the next one in January, what are the odds USA does it annually? I would posit the east coast, but Washington is the Nintendo State.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As someone who's played the Mario Wonder demo :smuggo: I would recommend Wonder, it won't scratch the remake nostalgia itch but it's a drat good time and has plenty of replay value.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's not gonna have any load times cause it won't have any games

The games will all be Game & Watch, as in, the Switch 2 is all of the LCD bits embedded into one screen for easy access. Let's see Sony and Microsoft copy that!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Greatly enjoying the early stage of "everyone just playing a game together and figuring it out," really hope the game isn't broken/"solved" for a good while.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Wonderful 101 99

If everyone was assigned an individual hero, that could be a wonderful clusterfuck of a time.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dragon Quest Builders 2, explore and be random to his heart's content but there are also towns to build up and quests to help get people's lives in order.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's a card you redeem for the physical copy at checkout. It's also how Costco handles selling valuables like hardware and jewelry.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Costco sells Nintendo eShop, PSN, and Xbox credit at $100 value for $90 paid, for those who prefer digital savings.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 21, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between the Gunbrella demo and Eastward timed demo (and half-off sale!), the indies are rocking my Switch in a way that will give Mario Wonder some work to do to win screentime (as opposed to winning by default).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What's more, he's investigating because some concerned citizen keeps sending him to loot the place. Sucking up all the gold coins he can find.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

VVVVVV is a low-tech platforming joy, like if the NES came out 20 years later.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Andorra posted:

Is that what Super Luigi U is? I bought NSMBU on the switch a while back and had no idea what that part of it was.

Abridged Mario U courses with 100 seconds per stage, Luigi physics included (higher jump, slippery momentum). Especially challenging to get the star coins, I wound up looking up videos of Star Road and felt the vanilla journey was worth playing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Inzombiac posted:

Big big sale on the eShop right now.

I see a couple publisher sales, horror sale... which one is supposed to stand out?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

symbolic posted:

all? looking through all the sales rn briefly, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment for $3, Quake for $4, Super Meat Boy Forever for $2, Amnesia Collection for $3, Darkest Dungeon for $10, RE4/5/6 for $10 each, Ghost Trick for $20, DOOM Eternal for $16...you stupid or somethin?

Can't see sale prices for games I already own, looking them up on Nintendo's site or a third party would have helped. Thanks for calling out some great discounts though.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Halloween sale (Screaming Deals) is the “big one” right now

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/sales-and-deals/

e: Better list sorted by the best deals https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops?sort=hottest

This is useful, thank you. *disappears into Mario Wonder for foreseeable future, be kind to yourselves and explore the levels*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Now I think you’re just trying to save face here. The vine is spawned from the ! Block and the set piece is built around the ! Block. You wouldn’t be able to finish the set piece without the ! Block active. I haven’t seen this area referenced without the ! Block in any guide. I’d love it if you showed any proof of this area being accessed and finished without it, but I’m pretty sure I’m correct about this.

I replayed the level with and without the ! blocks and it appears to be a separate bonus area just for ! users.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Macaluso posted:

Does it reward anything like a seed or whatever that shows up on the completion thing or is it just like a fun little bonus area with coins and whatever? I would like to 100% it

The embedded Xitter video shows, and I found too, an "up in the clouds" area with some yellow and purple coins, nothing that would be checked off on the level's progress.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The biggest problem with wonder is I’m gonna beat it and there won’t be a Wonder 2 out yet

What a masterstroke it would be if Wonder 2 was on a soon-after-launch Switch 2 and the wonder effects are profoundly more transformative to show off the new hardware. "Now that you expect a little surprise every time this flower appears, let's REALLY shake things up!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ImpAtom posted:

Celeste is wonderful but comparing it to Mario feels like it does a disservice to them both, neither is really aiming for remotely the same thing.

NSMB with the co-op bubbles and Celeste with the accessibility options feel like they opened the way for Wonder to be so forgiving with players' time. A tangential connection, but I like it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

abelwingnut posted:

zelda seems about as up miyazaki’s wheelhouse as like deep impact.

just…no.

Nausicaa/Castle in the Sky levels of fantasy, but when they summon the Triforce it fires a beam that decimates the horizon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MaxDuo posted:

This reminds me of how I hated snaking in DS. It was annoying to just do it nonstop.

Snaking split my friend group back in the day. A couple of them used snaking nonstop and of course won their races, the rest of us acknowledged the skill of it while also feeling it robbed the game of the kind of fun/feeling we wanted out of it. 8 implemented its skill gap much more gracefully and I've enjoyed the rebalancing to make more kart combos viable.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sally posted:

nah always felt the same. i rarely used Geno. or Mallow for that matter. Peach+Bowser+Mario are OP.

Geno's attacks looked cool but kid me couldn't nail the timing on those charge specials at all. Everyone else's timing made sense, Geno's I could only land by accident.

Latest Mario Kart DLC is great fun and the new credits sequence is very sweet.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Waffle! posted:

Save benches in Silksong are for season pass amiibo owners only.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hatty posted:

HABANGOCHG?

It's pronounced, The real reason the switch was so successful

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Right up there with Link's Awakening in terms of remakes that simultaneously homage what came before while applying a fresh coat of paint (and lush soundtrack).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

lezard_valeth posted:

I loving hate "I need a hero".

Stop trying to copy Shrek 2. It is impossible to copy peak cinema so stop trying.

Ditto for Shazam 2, even if there's a cute story behind that instance.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I fought... two-thirds? of the enemies I saw, and even after skipping most of the volcano area fights, I absolutely wrecked the Rangers.

Still need to grind to get on Culex's level, though (currently level 18 across the board).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the Mario RPG rematch fights have been fun so far. Grinded everyone to level 28 across the board (picking Magic Defense Up each time) and figured that was close enough to 30 to take down 3D Culex - nope! Was utterly cornered with everyone dead but a mushroomized Mallow, managed to perfect-block a series of lethal attacks long enough for him to turn back to normal and begin reviving everyone, except Culex locked me out of items and cast his strongest spell to overkill Mallow and punish me for my hubris.

I'll get him next time, though. All hail Yoko Shimomura for both versions of the soundtrack.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

feetnotes posted:

You know, if you forget about the platform in the game you’ve been playing for 27+ years…

My "this was an issue 27 years ago and it's come back to haunt me" moment was searching for the cliff where the Paratroopas help you up. It's not very intuitive!

Special shout-out to that vine, though. As noted, it IS possible to make the jump, but that requires letting go of the down input for the single frame that Mario will dangle from the very bottom... which is beyond me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Meowywitch posted:

I don't know what that means homie

They mean making ASMR videos for YouTube clicks/subscribers. Whispers and little noises that trigger pleasant goosebumps for certain listeners. Other, hornier listeners inevitably show up to Make Things Weird, even by that standard.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nintendo is not immune to the Play Date, but lord knows Sony and Microsoft experience it way more often.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dread is also "Samus Returns (3DS) with more mobility and difficulty," which makes Samus Returns "Dread without EMMI."
Both are fun!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Found a sweet spot in my gaming routine of playing a couple rounds each of Hades / F-Zero 99 / Retro Bowl in whatever order, three low-stakes games in different genres one after another, feels great.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mega64 posted:

Also RPGs weren't exactly big on handhelds at the time. Before then you basically had the early SaGa/FF Legend games, the first Mana game, and Pokemon. Golden Sun was arguably the first handheld RPG to be in the same scope as those classic SNES RPGs.

Of course eventually the GBA got a lot more RPGs, including a lot of FF ports, but for awhile Golden Sun was basically your only real option for handheld RPG goodness*.

*Your opinion may vary on how good Golden Sun is.

Also, coming from GBC, there was huge appeal in a handheld RPG with SNES-level graphics (shading! anime hair! particle effects!). So much of GBC's visuals was "thing A runs into thing B and disappears, perhaps resulting in a crunch sound."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kevyn posted:

GBC Mario Tennis was great

GBC Mario Golf too, peak inter-console years