Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Repentance also has a crapton of new content and fixes pretty much all of the big issues isaac wih the other expensions. It's a stellar expansion..

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

My problem with N64 stuff is the lack of decent filtering options, raw N64 models blasting into my eyeballs isn’t as pleasant as I remember

there has never been a good emulator filter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I preferred the old pokemon games where the plot stayed out of the way and didn't waste my time. "go get some badges, also team rocket is bad" is the perfect amount of story for a pokemon game imo

Nothing really wrong with the new ones tho

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i want more pokemon snap

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

are smt nerds just mad that people know what persona is, unlike smt

because persona is by the best possible comparison point for smt5

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

It's not.

It is.

They very similar series

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. Persona is a good comparison point for SMT but reviewers have a history of criticizing SMT for having things that make it distinct to Persona and likewise.

and that's fine? there's a reason persona is much more popular than smt

mostly thing seems like people desperately trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

They are not reasonable opinions though lol. It's a super lazy poor critique.

yeah how dare they prefer some other thing to a slightly different thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

Saying something is not as good as another thing by just saying it’s not as good without explaining why isn’t a good critique

i'm sure the meme image with a few sentences encapsulated the entire essences of those reviews and the reviewers said nothing else in them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Walla posted:

No one cares if they prefer other thing. The issue is they are comparing thing to unrelated thing instead of reviewing it either on its own merits or in relation to past entries. I don't even care about Persona or SMT. This is just being lazy and putting out a soundbite.

Why are people insistent on being an rear end in this thread?

Yeah people aren't lazily trying to dunk on reviewers at all here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anyway, can't wait to play some smt5 next week

looks great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

theres a better comparion that even got a release recently on the same console called smt3, hwoever it might be asking a bit much to have reviewers who have played any of the otherh titles before they play a game with a big number 5 at the end.

It's a bad comparison because barely anyone played Nocturne so people don't know what what the gently caress you are talking about if you talk about it

which is a shame since nocturne owns

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

its a good comparison because its the third smt game and theyre reviewing the fifth smt game. 4 and apoc would also be good to bring up. doing so might also stop you from making a complaint that something that has never existed in the series you are currently reviewing is "missing"

do you think those reviewers are writing thos reviews for people who are already familiar with smt?

all of those people are already buying the game, reviews or no

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah they should instead be comparing it with another niche series which has a connection to smt that only RPG enthusiasts really know about

also instead of comparing they should be complaining that niche series A isn't more like niche series B instead

lmao if you think Atlus isn't trying to get the persona audience into smt too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

you think theyre writing the reviews for people unfamiliar with smt but actually theyre writing the reviews as people unfamiliar with smt and whom lack an ability to produce purposeful critique. in summation shin megami tensei nocturne really makes you FEEL like demi fiend.

there are like five people on the internet who care about "purposeful critique" in reviews instead of "should i buy this"

you need to wait for the 1000 hour Tim rogers video for that, you're such a big fan of him

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lol at people pretending smt and persona aren't very similar

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

the dark souls of pokemon

i have ascended into games journalism valhalla

for fans of the genre

7/10

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FFX and X-2 are both great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This going to make me break out Theatrhythm on my 3DS though.

why isn't there a switch theatrhythm square

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chrono trigger is pretty good but the combat is fairly boring so it's not even near the top of my favorites

also it doesn't have a job system

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

SMRPG looks fine on a CRT emulating it makes it look blocky and ugly

crts are garbage and basically don't exist anymore so why does that matter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mia Wasikowska posted:

why is everyone in this thread always so aggro and so wrong. what happened

i was too aggro but not wrong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Libluini posted:

Excluding CT, my top five SNES-RPGs would be:

1.) Lufia II
2.) Secret of Mana
3.) Terranigma
4.) Illusion of Time
5.) Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy V and a couple others would be part of the list if this were a top ten, I'm just not listing them because it's the top 5!!!

I should definitely play some of the SNES rpgs i missed since i never played anything but the "big" ones

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

all pokemon games except the ones i like are bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the two versions got me to trade and do some multiplayer poo poo with pokemon back when i was a kid which is something would never have tried otherwise so they're good in my book

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

because the revelation that the version difference in the latest game is just a simple code flag is shining a light on it?

lmao at anyone who thought different

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I just find it funny people are defending it with "it encourages trading & you can find a friend with the other version" like everyone doesn't already know that, and as if no other game has managed to figure out how to encourage trading without selling multiple versions.t.

it's less applicable these days with the internet and poo poo but it did exactly that for me as a kid

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I guess i could agree that pokemon having two versions is probably slightly iffy on a base level but it's so extremely minor that's it's pretty much a non-issue

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Postman posted:

Are there any versions that don't have Psyduck?

no

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

did people get this wound up when red and blue came out

no i was too busy telling people that Bulbasaur is the coolest starter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nintendo saw this and did not adopt this strategy.

Tara looks cooler

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The writing of Revelations and Conquest were extremely bad though Conquest is agreed to have some of the best gameplay in the franchise. Overall Fates was a failed experiment. But in the end, they were three distinct games that shared a cast and setting. Three Houses in comparison, you'll be replaying the same missions until the time skip and even then they're mostly the same, just different sides.

Also Revelation is horrid and should never be touched by anyone, it has no redeeming factors

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Well I'm stupid

Forgot I hadn't saved in smtv after the first boss and got wiped out by a stupid low level mob. At least I know I can beat the boss but man I don't want to spend my Sunday morning replaying content

Going to go get high n clean the apartment instead I guess before I hop back in. I miss Charon

always be saving

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

How does it compare to Persona?

the demons call you a fuckboy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

It honestly sounds way worse then, but im gonna play it because of the protag holy poo poo.

Wait does Mothman really call you a dumb bitch or w/e?

Yes.

Me saying that demons can call you a fuckboy wasn't a joke either

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

SMTV has a very specific kind of EXP curve where you get a ton of EXP for beating enemies that are a higher level than you, okay EXP for same-level enemies, and negligible EXP for enemies below your level. This means that when you get to a new area where you're getting your rear end kicked, you're gaining levels really quickly until it starts to even out, but at the same time, specifically grinding battles for EXP doesn't really reward you that much.

Also if you have trouble with something you will get way more out of just fusing demons for that specific situation rather than trying to grind levels

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Should I finally get Mario Odyssey?

Yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pokemon Snap because the pokemon are incredibly cute in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hadji murad posted:

Just started Picross because you guys are awesome.

Am I weak for checking mistakes? Please reassure me.

yes