Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The plot apparently involves rescuing Waddle Dees from a group called the Beast Pack:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/kirby-and-the-forgotten-land-release-date-trailer-nintendo-switch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

I will rescue every single Waddle Dee from the group called the Beast Pack

Bandanna Waddle Dee is apparently also playable via 2 player co-op (not sure about the single player mode though).

Also curious if Dedede and/or Meta Knight will show up as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Meta Knight is in the trailer, dawg.

I must have missed him then, where did he show up?

Also since the plot involves Waddle Dees being abducted I assume Dedede will get involved somehow since that’s a large majority of his workforce

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

A 3 second shot at 1:22, looks like his regular boss fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiPcRCWzcGo&t=82s

Ah yes, thanks. Kind of curious how the fight’s going to work considering you have a lot more room to maneuver in 3D

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope Kirby stops eating everything and decides to give hugs instead.

Kirby’s stomach is basically a black hole, his hunger is endless

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kirby is Kirby, he is not bound to your mortal rules (and the only other member of his species we know about is Meta Knight)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Which came first, Kirby, or Buu?

Kirby, his first game came out in 1992 whereas Buu didn’t appear in the Dragon Ball manga until 2 years later

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 13, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what does this refer to... I never played Star Allies

Star Allies is good and you should play it, but they were referring to this (which is based on a minigame from Planet Robobot):

https://kirby.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Kirby_Clash

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Yeah there might be some optional fights for bosses that aren't fitting for the main campaign.

That's pretty much Kirby's main MO. A lot of former enemies generally turn into allies. Hell the first game was one of the few ones where Dedede was the outright villain. In the next game he tried to save Dream Land, but some bad behavior on his part made him look like he was the culprit instead.

These days Dedede only seems to be the final boss in the non standard Kirby games (and even then that’s not always the case). I guess when you’re dealing with eldritch horrors a fat greedy penguin with a hammer isn’t that big a threat anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It took this long? Dream Land 3 had a boss that literally shot blood at you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cavauro posted:

Shweet. is the new kirby going to be good?

We won’t know until it comes out but I see nothing wrong with it so far

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It looks like it might be.

I'm always surprised how much I enjoy Kirby or how much Kirby I've played because it's not a game series I think about very often, but it's true I've played it a lot. Star Allies, which I think is fine, really revealed to me how much I enjoy the franchise, since it's a bit of a love letter to the series with all the callbacks. It was, however, a dead easy game, and honestly the abilities it featured didn't wow me all that much. It's neat the game has developed Smash like controls to produce all sorts of attacks, but they're all nearly 100% useless in the context of the main game and while you can truly amp the difficulty later I don't feel like that's really a selling point. Running through the game with all new powers and characters is also fun, but very repetitive since it's the same levels over and over again.

This new game looks really different. It's not 2D and they're not pushing the 4 player free-for-all which makes the actions seem far less busy than in SA, which at some points felt like it auto-played. It seems like it may have a bit more experimentation, and those are always the best Kirby's. He's a great vehicle for creative game design and I'm hoping that's what this one has to some degree.

I’m mostly just happy they finally got a mainline 3D Kirby game off the ground after years of trying and I’m curious how it’s going to work (particularly the Meta Knight fight teased at the end of the trailer since you’d have a lot more room to maneuver this time).

Also there are no bad Kirby games in my opinion (but some are better than others)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 14, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

If you're referring to the animal buddies, they're part of Cleaning's moveset now.

Also turns out according to a Japanes guidebook, Gooey's been chilling in Kirby's house all this time if people were wondering about his disappearance after DL3.

He returned in Star Allies as a Helper character as well (he’s also an unlockable character in Kirby Fighters 2 for the Switch)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The rest of the Kingdom Hearts series is coming to Switch on February 10th (though only via streaming unfortunately):

https://twitter.com/KINGDOMHEARTS/status/1483318234082250752

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Yes I definitely want to be tied to the internet in order to play my portable Role Playing games thanks square

Yeah, not entirely sure why they’re doing it this way honestly. Maybe I could see it for the more graphically intensive titles like 0.2 and KH3 but I’m pretty sure the Switch could handle running a couple PS2 games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The HD ports of Kingdom Hearts were made from the ground up since they lost the PS2 source code or some poo poo. So thats probably why they're streaming for switch since it would probably run like rear end there unless they like developed it for the switch specifically. Might as well go the cloud route to not have to spend all those resources porting the whole collection.

Makes sense. Well according to the tweet there’s apparently a few demos available now if anyone wants to see how well the games are going to run.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The new Lego Star Wars game will be out April 5th:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HKYhNwzBA8w

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

Star Wars is so tired at this point. Give me LEGO Star Trek: TNG dammit :mad:

LEGO Star Trek would be awesome, yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

It took me a long time to figure out what was bugging me about that trailer, not having played a Lego game in a while, and I think it's that they used to almost never use that over the shoulder style camera angle outside of the open world. Anyway, game looks neat, I might pick it up eventually. Also playable Jabba???

The Lego Star Wars games have always had weird unlockable characters like that, yeah. Also this particular game has been in development hell for the last 2-3 years now so hopefully it’ll be good (I like that they completely remade the first 7 episodes as opposed to just porting the existing games at least)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-lego-star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-deluxe-edition-unmasked

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tho now im thinking about little lego picard gesturing wildly to try to get his speeches across and that is quite amusing, actually yeah make a lego star trek

Actually some of the more recent Lego games have had full voice acting and it seems this new Star Wars title will as well (though I think I heard somewhere you will have the option to turn it off if you want)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't it divided into small zones like Monster Hunter?

From what I’ve heard pretty much, yeah (it’s a tad more open than your standard Pokémon game but there are still roadblocks that prevent you from exploring further until you’ve completed a certain in-game task like normal).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Banjo has a bird that lets him fly. I can't even imagine how Mario would ever fly. He doesn't have a bird that lives on him.

Well, there’s the Tanuki Suit, the Cape, the Flying Squirrel Suit from NSMBU, the Wing Cap from 64, and possibly more I’m forgetting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

How quickly we forget the P Wing.

I think you could turn into a Boo in one of the Galaxy games as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently he had 4 games prior to this (I’ve never heard of any of them):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kao_the_Kangaroo

And based on the reviews/descriptions most of them sucked it seems so I’m not sure why they decided to revive this particular IP (then again, you could say the same for the Bubsy series)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 27, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Cool Spot even still used as a mascot anymore?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CBD Corndog posted:

Yakuza, Monkey Ball, owning Atlus

They’ve also got a (seemingly) open world Sonic game coming out near the end of the year. I think that’s about it though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I don't know what to think of the Direct tomorrow. I kind of have zero expectations. If it is just stuff released between now and E3, the things on my radar are like... nothing,

The only two big games announced I can think of are:
-Kirby and the Forgotten Land (May 25th)
-Advance Wars 1+2 (Spring 2022)

The other stuff that is announced but likely not the first half of 2022 are:
-Bayonetta 3 (2022)
-Splatoon 3 (2022)
-Breath of the Wild 2 (2022)
-Mario + Rabis Spark of Hope (2022)
-TMNT Shredder's Revenge (2022)
-Silk Song (TBD)
-Metroid Prime 4 (TBD)

Aside from all the regular rumor poo poo, I am just going to be shocked if something interesting is going to be announced and come out in the next 4 months.

Kirby is March 25th actually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I haven’t seen the trailer yet but does it look like the upcoming Chrono Cross remake/remaster will be adding anything new to the game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Upscaled backgrounds and an encounter toggle, but no new content (unless you count Radical Dreamers getting an official translation)

Oh, this includes the text adventure game as well? Neat

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Rosalina at least has a good excuse, living alone with star kids in outer space probably doesn't allow one many opportunities to get tooth paste.

Peach is an ineffectual ruler so I'm not surprised she also has poor hygeine.

And Pauline is the mayor of a massive city so I’m not sure what her excuse is

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Peach is possibly the least competent female character in the whole franchise come to think of it (unless she’s secretly in cahoots with Bowser and they’ve just been playing the long con this whole time).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of Kingdoms managed to not have their monarch kidnapped by bigger ones. In fact it was pretty rare because you had to be pretty incompetent for it to happen

Yeah, Daisy only ever got kidnapped once (same with Pauline though she’s not a princess) and Rosalina has never been kidnapped at all to my knowledge

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

There's a non-zero chance that Kirby sucks up a toilet in Forgotten Land.

We’ve already got a car so I’m personally hoping for a bunch of goofy transformations honestly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd Wilson posted:

In the case of Daisy, her kidnapping was also from a literal space alien who hypnotized the large majority of Sarasaland into being his minions. Just a complete hostile takeover from outer space.

Super Mario Land was wild.

And if you take the original Super Mario Bros. manual at face value then all those blocks you destroy during the game are actually transformed Mushroom Kingdom citizens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Remember when Daisy slapped Bowser so hard he flew into the sky?

Nope, what game was that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think they also made a Zelda Satellaview game as well (a 16 bit remake of the first game as I recall), was that any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Caught the kirby trailer.
Saw a lot of like pulled back isometric view scenes that i didnt expect from the reveal. Interested what the game is really like.

From what I understand it’s a fully 3D platformer but it’s not an open world game (which is probably for the best honestly). You do seem to have a central hub of sorts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

So like 3d world?

Pretty much, yeah (the new gimmick appears to be that Kirby can inhale certain objects and gain special transformations like a car, a water balloon, etc)

This video goes into a little more detail on things:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AqqnPvM9Z8g

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 12, 2022