Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Currently finishing my 100% run on Aria of Sorrow at the Castlevania Advance Collection.

Please do not try to 100% this game.

you getting all item drops too or merely all souls?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Item drops, souls already got them on the first go then I decided to start Hard Mode without realizing it only improved Soul drops, not items.

Only have Demon Mail and Shadow Knight's potion left and god I really hope whoever made the drop formula on the Sorrow duology got fired.

good luck, and godspeed. you're almost there!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

They're the best games in the franchise op

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ziploc posted:

I just played MK64 and am wondering if I've turned poo poo at it in my old age, or the lag/controls are just super bad.

Are all the N64 games equally bad? Or does their performance/lag vary from game to game?

blame the gamer, not the game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I did a bad job as thread IK so the admins punished me by promoting me to a Games mod.

If you have any feedback on how you want this thread post it in the Games Feedback thread and I'll try my best to keep things chill. I'll probably do an effort post there later so as not to derail chat about sweet Switch games.

lmao rip to a real one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Sucking up to him for quoting your spamcasm last thread

i don't think anyone here is quite on the level of brown-nosing via empty quotes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they're not and i cannot fathom why you'd think they are

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
being able to spam line stickers is something i never knew i wanted but it rules

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've been playing voice of cards and, while the battle system is pretty dang dry, the rest of it is quite charming. a nice lowkey adventure about an rear end and the folks who put up with him. looking forward to checking out the new animal crossing stuff tonight

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Microwaves own because when I'm hungry, I'm hungry now, I don't want to wait an hour for dinner. A microwave gets me my food in ten minutes or less.

you gotta start cooking before you're paralyzed with hunger!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not sure where this narrative that 10 is underrated came from, it's always been beloved. but anyway, 9 is the best one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i only ever see olds talk about 6 these days. if i had to guess the top three FFs, I'd go with 7, 10, and 14

time to rank them, everybody

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Uh does being 32 make me old? Huh. Certainly don't feel that way.

I'm at 6, 7, 10 at the moment, I guess.

yes. i'm sorry

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Is Mean Bean Machine significantly more difficult than Puyo Puyo or have I just gotten terrible since the 90s? Can't beat the second robot.

this is me as a child and probably me now. i think i beat the second stage once and then got immediately destroyed in the third

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
chrono trigger is fine but it's not even a top five snes rpg

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
snes stuff i like more than chrono trigger:
live a live
super mario rpg
ff5
ogre battle
tactics ogre
fire emblem thracia 776
earthbound

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just want everyone to know my gaming opinions are sincere

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the animal crossing dlc is incredible and very addictive, i'm glad some of the themes are pretty silly (guy who love toilets, guy who loves dolls, guy who loves stacks of cash)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

SMRPG being brought up has me looking at romhacks because I'm aware that there's a lot of them and some of them are pretty rad but I don't even know where to begin to decide which one to try...

i'm not super familiar with the scene but can say the randomizer is pretty decent, and armageddon is trash that completely misunderstands the original game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I feel like sword/shield are the most hated, no? or is that the most recent=bad pokemon curse

no way, that's recency bias and people being really loud about dexit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
didn't have to buy the game again to get more than two fire types, point swsh

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Gen 2 mons were pretty bad imo apart from a handful. I tried to go through catching and training only new ones and you can't really do it.

their distribution is hosed up but gen2 mons kick rear end. cyndaquil, quilava, furret, sneasel, tyranitar, misdreavous, espeon, umbreon, hitmontop, totodile, feraligatr, scizor, steelix, mareep, flaafy, ampharos, wooper, quagsire, chinchou, swinub, delibird, lugia, ursaring, xatu, teddiursa, donphan, skarmory.... need i go on?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sumo are the best by far but swsh and bw are pretty good too. never played xy and never really got the impression i was missing much, but generally pokemon just improves over time

also if you're ever in the mood for a 150 episode children's anime i highly recommend the sumo seasons

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Has anybody played the Fatal Frame port? Is it worth it for a Fatal Frame noob?

i have not played the port but i did play the wii u original last month. i enjoyed it overall but could tell why people call it the worst one. very good spooky vibes and set pieces, and the history of the cursed mountain is really cool, but most of the actual characters may as well not exist for how engaged they are in the story. the motion controls for the camera worked really well but general movement is clunky

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've honestly found Metroid Dread frustrating at times. The devs don't seem to get that projectile attacks from bosses are meant to be minor nuisances (if not shootable for ammo and health) rather than serious threats, and fights like Kraid's are less fun than they could be because you get stuck dealing with what should be minor hits instead carving off entire energy tanks The belly shots in Kraid's case. The only times projectiles have been shootable is when they're clearly pulling from older games; Kraid's nails, and the Ring Beams on the Mother Brain-esque core units. Some of the later bosses also wear out their welcome because they REALLY want you to hit that counter attack to dump damage into them, and if you gently caress up that chance it just drags out the fight considerably as the entire phase repeats for another go rather than just being a cool extra thing you can do. I'm at Raven Beak and it's a slog of a fight because of how long it feels just to get to that second phase... and then there's a third phase on top of that all wearing you down with gently caress-all recovery items given. I swear someone selected the quantity of health drops in a boss fight based off looking at prior Metroid games, and nobody told them that Dread bosses hit much harder on-average. What you get back isn't going to account for even a single extra hit.

I'm at the final boss and I can only really say I mostly like Dread. It's overall a good game, but I'm hoping they learn from this one to do even better for the next. One of their other big problems is someone in their level design loves arbitrary one-way passages and while it's fine while following the breadcrumb trail to the next upgrade or boss it's utterly tedious having to circle around a big chunk of the map because one door arbitrarily shuts behind you or a Grapple/Wave Beam block has landed in a place that blocks off an old route.

i beat the final boss at full health 8)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

There were two Dread bosses that really frustrated me my first time through, but as soon as I learned how to beat them I found them really fun to fight. It's definitely one of those games that's all about that feeling of mastery, I think, where everything feels super punishing but then as soon as it clicks you feel like a complete badass.

The final boss is maybe one of the best-designed boss fights I've experienced in a while specifically because of how it uses the player's own growing skill and practice at the fight to have a great finish.

the musical crescendo when the final phase is starting... mwah

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
never read the speedscan chapters if you can help it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Sell "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl" and at the start of the game they ask you "Do you like diamonds or pearls" or something, and that determines the unique stuff you can get.

i feel like this would make people more mad lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

"gotta catch em al" my butt!!!!

gotta catch em all was a catchy marketing slogan back in the 90s but it was dropped when the monster count started inching closer to four digits

i caught them all, once. it involved a lot of grinding and lurking gamefaqs threads for dupes of event pokemon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The games have always been programmed this way.

This is a question you answer when you go to the store or eShop to purchase the game.

It's a non-issue that people are trying to turn into one. Even at my youngest and most influential years I'd never bought both versions. Ironically, the only times I've gone out of my way to buy both versions of a generation was Sun/Moon and the Ultras, and that's because I'm working on a complete 3DS library. And those are the worst mainline games in the franchise.

sumo da best

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

never noticed they dropped that slogan. lazy modern gamers. casuals.

actually i think I'm wrong, they dropped it and then brought it back. crafty...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
did people get this wound up when red and blue came out

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waffle! posted:

Wasn't there a Golden Sun or something on 3DS that unlocked the alternate version after you beat it?

there weren't any golden sun games on the 3ds and none of them had multiple version gimmicks anyway

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

Tara looks cooler

she is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fire emblem fates: 2.5 different games
pokemon: different mons, sometimes different gyms and npcs
dragon quest monsters: different mons
mega man battle network: different bosses, special forms, and chips
robopon: different starter and mons

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

That mechanic exists to teach children an important life lesson: no matter how much work you put in the powers that be can take it all away from you.

Never actually put any effort into your job because the second you need to take time off or fall ill they'll fire you and cancel your insurance.

75% of marriages end in divorce.

Non-smoking fitness nuts get hit by cars.

Life is misery and chaos and death is the reward.

what

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what does the g stand for...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Yep Zelda oracles are essentially not even the same thing at all, they're just two entirely separate titles with an added scenario if you link them.

That owned so hard. You guys think Nintendo or Capcom will ever release two full blown mainline Zelda games at once? What a bad rear end concept especially when you consider that they were actually trying to make THREE games

and we're definitely gonna get remakes of them with the link bonuses built in!... any day now... please...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ffx-2 kicks rear end